Search found 25 matches

Return

Re: Wavelab 8.5 requests

I'd really really like rendered MP3s to open in Audio File window, or really ANY rendered file to open there. I guess somebody must like that. I hate it. I'm done at that point, don't need the file open. All I hope for is a preference to change this behavior if it's not there

This option is already controlled by the check box "Open resulting audio file", in the Render dialog.
by PG
Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Easy sample rate change solution needed

I remember this request, and it is firmly planned for WaveLab 9.
by PG
Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Easy sample rate change solution needed

I've discussed this before, but with more and more clients requesting and needing both 44.1k masters, as well as 24-bit higher sample rate masters for vinyl and/or bandcamp, Mastered for iTunes and other services that accept files at sample rates higher than 44.1k...the need to easily make a montage at a higher sample rate is badly needed.

Even if I play and capture masters through my analog chain at 88.2k for example, I like to convert to 44.1k using iZotope SRC before loading into a montage. This isn't a debate about what SRC sounds better, but simply so that sample rate conversion doesn't need to happen each time I render a DDP or WAV/mp3s files from a montage at a high sample rate. This takes time and leaves room for a glitch that must be checked for each time instead of once.

I think 44.1k is still the preferred way to send files to clients to approve a master, usually via DDP and something like HOFA DDP Player Maker.

Anyway, once the master is a approved, I often need a simple way to do "save as" of a montage, and save it as a higher sample rate (to match original source files sample rate), but to keep all the track markers and info to match the 44,1k master montage. I simply want to make a mirror image of my approved montage at 44.1k, and insert the higher sample rate files in place of the 44.1k files. I always have properly trimmed and named files at both 44.1k and the native sample rate of the original files.

I know how to "save as..." to make a new montage and change sample rate of it, but when the sample rate is changed, the markers all move because they are all tied to the samples of the montage and not the minutes/ seconds so it's a lot of extra work to recreate a 44.1k montage at 48k or higher for these situations where the client wants both 44.1k CD master, and higher sample rate WAV files for vinyl or online services that accept high sample rate.

This seems like a trend that is not going away as more and more outlets are accepting high sample rate files for distribution.

thank you.
by Jperkinski
Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WL 8.5 questions

Can this slot be used for any plugins e.g. can it be used for ARC room compensation which would not be included in render process and would not affect metering? Such feature alone would make the upgrade price worth for me...

Absolutely, yes; I did not forget this request ;)
You choose what plugins you want to show in this slot's menu from the Plugin-setting dialog.
by PG
Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Whose on first: Crystal or Limiter?

Limiter has always to be put after resampler, as resampling can create "true peaks".
by PG
Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Master effects & Master effects

It is a bit confusing that there are two unrelated sets if plug-in effects, both named "Master" effects. The ones in the Effects Tool panel and the ones in the Master Section. I suggest that the name is changed in the Effects Tool panel to avoid confusion.

Why not rename them Montage effects. That would, not only avoid confusion, but also be inline with the naming convention used for the other types ( Clip effects affect specific Clips, Track effects affect specific Tracks and Montage effects affect specific Montages ).

Then the name Master effects would be reserved for the Master Section.
by Svenne
Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Slate Digital VBC VST3 bug

Well, I don't see this getting resolved anytime soon. Yesterday I typed a thorough and polite email to Slate seeing if they had any progress on this and the reply I got from somebody at Slate Digital said that PG "isn't very well informed", that VBC conformed "100% to the VST SDK specs" and that the Wavelab team wasn't "playing ball" with Slate to resolve the issue.
by Jperkinski
Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clip Volume Envelope Copy and Paste

I see what you mean; maybe this feature should be added. The reason of the current behaviour is this: an envelope is made of 3 parts: fade in, volume part, fade-out. The Copy operates on either of these segments. And the start level is determined by the fade in out levels.
by PG
Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: wavelab 8.5 stop audio playback at end of file

Maybe you should activate this option:
2014-06-23_08-05-49.png
by PG
Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Converting a Montage From 44.1k to Higher [ideas]

I will provide a solution to this case, but only in WaveLab 9.
by PG
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Encoder Checker - Question

I've noticed that when loud non-MFiT iTunes store files are analyzed in Wavelab 8.5 Global Analysis, the digital peak is -0.0003, and they have no one-sample clips on the error tab. Those same files show digital peak 0.0000 and many one-sample clips in Wavelab 8.03 (as they would show in Apple AFCLIP). I 'guess' this is because 8.5 uses the Fraunhofer AAC codec to decode, and 8.03 uses the Apple AAC codec to decode. Is that correct?

Ideally, to me, an Encoder Checker would have 2 purposes, depending on the client: (1) for label clients, to mirror as closely as possible the codecs that the record labels or retailers are going to use to make their lossy files from the mastering studio's DDP or WAV, or (2) to include "better" codecs (like the Fraunhofer) for those who are able to utilize them for self sales.

That's why I think the Apple codec should be added to the encoder checker and Global Analysis. Because that's what Apple uses to make the AACs in the iTunes store, making them from the mastering WAV or DDP. I admit the codec request is picky, especially considering they're lossy files, but Apple is picky.

Someday I'd like to analyze what codec/settings all of the retailers/streamers are using for encode/decode. That would be more exact information to add to an encoder checker, and since Wavelab includes Ogg Vorbis, could include the Spotify stream.
by bob99
Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Encoder Checker - Question

Well there wouldn't be fees if you're using Apple's tools on a mac but... those are AU only (which WL and PCs can't run).
Apple's a hardware company first. They've not made things easy for competing standards (be they VST or AAX). The codecs are built into iTunes of course, but a)they're not the same ones, and b)they really only make PC iTunes to sell iPads and iPhones. So lack of license fees in these contexts are understandable.
dd

The AU plugin is not needed IMO because it's just an audition thing and Wavelab EC has audition. I was just talking about the AAC encode/decode. I've tested the Windows iTunes "iTunes +" encoder settings against the Mac (MFiT and iTunes). They're extremely close. Which I would expect, because if you make an AAC in Mac iTunes using the "iTunes +" setting and one in Windows iTunes using the "iTunes +" setting you would expect to get comparable files. And they are. Extremely close. Close enough for Apple to call them exactly the same thing.

The Mac iTunes "iTunes +" encode matches the MFiT official droplet encode exactly. It didn't used to, but they changed the settings in iTunes to use the "mastering" parameter settings. Therefore the Windows "iTunes +" is extremely close to the official Mac MFiT.
by bob99
Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Converting a Montage From 44.1k to Higher [ideas]

PG: would it be dangerous to search/replace inside a WL 8.5 Montage document, rather than the XML file dance?

This would not work, because of file checksum issues.

Philippe
by PG
Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Session Interchange

does anyone use the AES-31 for anything?
We would be DEAD (or at least wasting several hours per day) if we did not have AES31 import-export available.

The average length of our production is 6-15 seconds long. Average order by client=12 cuts, with 5-8 mixes per cut = 96 mixes per client. We record and mix in Nuendo, export mixes via AES31. Import AES31 into Wavelab. Do this 2 to 3 times per day (we can produce several clients per day)

Why AES31?
If you try to cut and paste, or AAF, OMF, WAV import. The mixes would be imported in Alphabetical order, not mix order. If you had an edit between 2 mixes, WL would create 2 separate mixes out of it. You would spend quite a bit of time ordering your mixes the way you intended.

With AES31, it imports the mixes in the correct order, treats edits properly AND it imports markers that give us yet MORE information. AND with AES31 you are not Copying files (creating more unneeded drive usage) you are simply creating a audio decision list (no bulky audio files) just pointers on where to access the files.

And all of this great benefit takes 10 seconds to export in Nuendo, and 10 seconds to import into Wavelab.

I feel like I have only scratched the surface of why AES31 is useful to us, and perhaps explained it badly, but .......
Time saver, labor saver, Priceless !!!!!

Yes people out there use this feature.

Later,
Brain
by Brain
Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saving notes with Master Section preset? (for Ext. gear)

No, but i already thought about it.
by PG
Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.5.1 // smart bypass + recording

Yes, it is fixed in upcoming patch.
by PG
Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8.5.1 // smart bypass + recording

Dear PG,

the Smart Bypass Window does not stay on top of other windows, i can not open it in "floating mode".
What happens is that i quite often forget about that i´m listening in level-corrected mode and record that.
Would there be a possibility to change this in the next update?

Further, if i use Master Section presets, f.e. i save one and then change parameters in a plugin, it would be great if the name down in the preset menu signalizes that the master section preset is no longer the same as the stored and loaded one. Maybe in red or red* ?

Thank you so much!
K
by kapverden
Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to make WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM

Hi PG,

I thought I tried the optimize header checkbox both ways but I'll try again tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks for reviewing the files your promptness is genuinely appreciated!

And Rat,
I appreciate your response and efforts to help as well. A little more backstory here could help I suppose so here goes: My client is a very experienced audio programmer/coder and as the saying goes " this ain't either of our first rodeo"! I can assure you there is a legitimate issue with the files and Its definitely not "something that your client has seen on the internet and believes he 'needs." I'm working with this client on projects that use a custom built audio player and the .wav files I've delivered that I made in Wavelab 8 won't load in that audio player however the very same .wav files work if I use Audacity to open and re-save them with the settings of Wav (Microsoft) Signed 16bit PCM which is an Audacity menu option for exports. So the problem is real and repeatable but the question is why? What is different. It's got us both scratching our heads.

The client told me the .wav files made from Wavelab either had missing headers, (which I believe was an anomaly as I can't recreate that error) or the Wavelab .wav files had extra "chunks" fields with data in them. I believe it was the instrument and sampler fields. Since, I never entered or edited the metadata I don't know how or why those extra "chunks" would be included but this is the only clue I've got so I'm trying to see what the difference in headers between Wavelab .wav files and Audacity .wav files might be.

Thanks again for any and all help.
And a big shout out of thanks to PG. Its rare that in this day and age that users get to contact the main dev of a program and I try not to abuse that privilege. There may be gripes on forums about this feature or that but when push comes to shove, PG's presence here is something no Wl user should take for granted.
by wavcatcher
Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to make WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM

If you don't use "create optimized headers" neither "RF64", then WaveLab saves a wav file in the strict and minimal way. And I don't see any difference with Audacity.
by PG
Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 32 float conversion options?

The idea here is to keep these record's sound as pure as possible with as little processing as possible while making, lets call them base files to work off of, that can be converted into whatever file type and resolution someone else wants. I hope that makes sense.

Keep/process you file in 32 bit float and deliver to whatever format you need later.
by PG
Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ripple Delete?

Notes:
1) This is not limited to a single clip: the time range is the "key". Actually you can even select "empty space" and press delete.
2) In all cases, the "auto shift" option must be ON.
2014-10-29_14-45-55.png
by PG
Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to Re-Import WL8 Settings to WL 8.5?

Quit WaveLab.

Delete this file:
/Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab 8.5/startup.plist

and launch WaveLab again.
by PG
Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WL8 and Surround?

just bumping this hoping that PG will implement it
by dr
Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WL 8.5.2 not recognizing PSP MasterQ

I want to note that I've figured this one out: When I updated to 8.5.2 Wavelab launched in 64 bit mode instead of 32. It didn't occur to me to check, as I didn't expect it to change. Is that normal, PG?

Right. On Mac, the vast majority of users are using 64 bit now, hence the default was changed in 8.5.20.
by PG
Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic