Search found 41 matches

Return

Re: So 7.5 is here (almost)

My initial feeling is that there are some very nice changes (or redos of things that didn't quite come out right in 7.0). HOWEVER, I see no info on what I am interested in... easier navigation... key commands... improvements to MIDI.

IOW: there are a lot of very sexy features... but I see less and less focus on polishing the CORE product in favour of MORE SYNTHS! MORE FX! MORE BIG STUFF! And frankly, I don't need any more 'big' things. I just have a list of -little- things I've been waiting on for perhaps 10 years.

And that makes me feel like all they are interested in are NEW SALES! I would much rather they charge people like me a proper fee to get the thing -polished- once and for all and stop adding more BIG STUFF!

---JC
by suntower
Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to hear. On behalf of long-time users... it would REALLY be appreciated if you pre-published at least a -tentative- set of -small- improvements/scheduled fixes such as I have asked for. Many of us really have no need for most of the new VSTis, etc. Mostly we want to know what has been fixed---or what the strategy is for addressing these things. This is a -very- different audience from those who are interested in LoopMash etc.

Marketing is important of course. But certainly you already have a list of fixes and improvements, so why not publish when you make your big promo announcements? , It is my feeling that what I'm asking for is the right way to treat people who depend on Cubase (as I do) for our living. Besides the 'BIG NEW FEATURES!' we never know what is in the box until -after- we install---and that's not always cool for a mission-critical app.

---JC

There was at least two moderators reading all the time today. As you can see, everything's still there ;)
by suntower
Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm actually surprised that Steinberg did as much as they did in the workflow enhancements. We could have nothing but some new synths but we also have a new take on instrument tracks, track versions, track visibility and transient tools that I honestly didn't expect until 8.0.

I guess it will come down to one's definition of 'workflow enhancements'. They may be marvelous, but I have 3 observations:

1. With 7.0, it -looked- like SB was heading in an 'app' direction... trying very much to -simplify- the UI. These features will surely make the UI more complicated. That seems like a step backward between the UI designer's intent and the rest of the team that does 'features'.

2. All these new features seem far more like traditional SB approach---add more stuff rather than -perfecting- what is there. IOW: I'm not sure 'versioning' =and= Lanes =and= 'Rerecord' =and= the 6.5 comping stuff couldn't be streamlined into a MUCH more simple method that was just as 'flexible' but didn't require as much 'stuff'. Eg. If the mixer simply had fader undo/redo history? I probably wouldn't need -half- of all that stuff.

3. My concern is that MixConsole is FAR from perfect. In fact, I work -slower- with it than with the 6.0 mixer. Just a fact. I was hoping that all the keyboard navigation stuff would be sorted out before it was imposed on the rest of Cubase UI. That worries me as a guy who twiddles in the Editors all day.

IOW: There were LOTS 'better' music players, with LOTS more features before the iPod came out. It turns out that a simple, intuitive design is far more valuable to most people than winning the feature war.

Or, like most pundits, I could be completely wrong. :D The ID thing and the improvements to Score are most welcome for me.

---JC
by suntower
Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

+1

But while we're blue skying ( and since I seem to find something to grouse about every day now) I would reiterate that the best solution would be for Steinberg to reach out to VSL and incentivise them to implement Note Expression.

Doing MIDI orchestrations keeps getting more and more complicated (like with Dimension Strings) and at some point, there's gotta be a way to simplify. Too many controllers, lanes, tracks.

I think that's why a lot of guys... even guys who can write really well, fall back on these sample 'construction kits'. It just takes too darned long to input all the necessary stuff.
by suntower
Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7 Pro Film/TV Composers: Voice Your Opinion/Rate

I've been thinking about this a LOT recently. It's been pointed out to me that I rant a lot and I've been trying to figure out what my problem is. Truthfully, there are no dealbreakers in Cubase. It does basically everything I need very competently. And they keep adding neat-o features which make it more and more flexible, which is great. It's also 'fast' in terms of actual execution: loading, rendering, etc. are all satisfactory.

But here's the thing... Cubase keeps getting SLOWER to work with. Not -faster-. What inflames my sphincter with each passing year is that Cubase is like this: I go to a restaurant and I ask for a diet plate. And the waiter brings me the all you can eat buffet. And I say, 'No... I want the diet plate.' But the guy keeps bringing more of the all you can eat deal. And I feel bad for complaining, because... the guy keeps bringing me more food. I feel ungrateful---but it's not what I know is good for me. And I feel like a 'whiner'. But what they keep giving me is not what I need. It's great, but it's not what I -really- need.

1. Window management is rough.

2. Preset Management/File Management really stinks.

3. Key commands and icons and window layouts are getting less and less efficient.

...And all that stuff seems so 'small' but the truth? I work SLOWER now than I did in 2007. And I'm not getting any younger so it's getting increasingly annoying.

The projects I work on now are MUCH larger than they used to be. People expect MORE stuff; not 16 tracks... 160 tracks. And the workflow hasn't kept up. In fact, it's heading in the wrong direction.

And THAT is what drives me nuts. Many of the changes SB keeps making are not what I need. They're doing cool stuff, but it's clear they aren't listening to the stuff -I- care most about and that's frustrating. So I feel trapped. I have too many years in to change. Which is not a great feeling sometimes.

---JC
by suntower
Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPEAL: C7.X Pro Composers: Voice Your Opinion here![POL

The -broad- generalisation I seem to see from what I've read here over the years is this:

It -seems- like 'recording engineers' (people who work primarily with pre-recorded audio) like the direction of Cubase more than people like me who are 'composers' or 'orchestrators' (people who create structures from the ground up -inside- Cubase.) The vast majority of improvements seem to be for people who are taking a 'song' or big sections of content and then massaging it into shape. More of a traditional engineer or producer.

But for -me- who -composes- in Cubase and want to very quickly try ideas, jettison them; edit the -structure- itself, the more features Cubase adds, the -slower- the workflow the basic operations of 'ranges' and 'windows' and 'key commands' have not really been improved in a decade. A decade. You might argue 'Mediabay' and 'Presets' are big changes, but to that I would say: those were actually steps -backwards-. Call me old, but I -still- prefer FXPs. And I just want the options to load and save files where -I- want to... not in some 'cloud' like Mediabay. I want to -know- where everything is.
by suntower
Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPEAL: C7.X Pro Composers: Voice Your Opinion here![POL

If it were really only $10k? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

With each year, I find myself being lured by the siren song of TERABYTES of new samples. Ever nicer orchestral libs. More realistic -whatevers-. I find myself buying less and less. It has nothing to do with the libs themselves, it's that I've come to realise I'm up to my -neck- in 'sounds' and 'plug-ins' and 'presets'. I have enough raw 'data' to last until I -die-.

More and more I find myself avoiding new -anything- because I'm -exhausted- managing the crap I have now. For example: what's the point of having 20 compressors if auditioning them is frickin' tedious? Far better to fall back on 2 or 3 tried and true.

What's the point of using a product like VSL Dimension Strings when setting up complex sections will take up literally -days- of my life? I look at the screens and I think 'Crap, if I had real players I could write this on score paper in an hour. But this'll take 3 days to make work in Cubase.' So I simply don't write that complex an idea. I use a simpler string lib. Nobody cares. But -I- care. I didn't get to do the super fun thing that is the reason I -write- music. Because the tools are sooooooooo tedious.

In short, the slower workflows have altered my -composing- and cut down on my -buying-. I fit my writing to what works in Cubase, rather than the other way round. It's not -terrible- but I liken it to a pension without a COLA. The requirements keep going up 5% every year, but Cubase workflows stay flat. So after 10 years, I'm starting to feel that 'gap'.

And there's simply no hardware I can throw at this kind of problem. As I wrote, Cubase is 'fast' enough. It's just not -fast- enough, if you take my meaning. I'm having the nagging feeling that I did better work in SX4 with far smaller sample libs and far lower res plug-ins. Perhaps this is the digital version of guys like Jack White who are fed up with too much tech. Maybe the problem is too much of the wrong tech. Or maybe my discomfort is Cubase's way of telling me I'm gettin' too old for this gig. :D

One last thing and then I promise I'm done. :D The maddening thing for me... I rant... then take a few years off... is that this is what I call the 'slot machine' problem: They always get -so- close that I keep thinking 'next time! It's gotta pay off next time if I just put in another quarter!' The things that -really- would help me are NOT huge deals. I really don't need a whole new 'window system'. Or a 'plug-in system'. Or any vast new initiative. They'd be -nice- but that's -not- the end of the world. I just need the Window On Top bug fixed. I just need the Sends pane to have both the rack -and- the panning together---like it used to be! I just need the Presets and MediaBay to be easier. I need a key command to get to the Info Line. I need a Lock Locators command. I need to be able to split an event inside an editor. I need the range tool to be tweaked a bit. I'd like to be able to chain LE presets together. -Small- things. Cubase already does enough stuff to last me a lifetime. It's those -little- things that are the holdup.

---JC

It's funny - I was bandying about the idea with another composer recently of what it would cost to develop a DAW from the ground up exclusively for film & TV composers. It feels like no DAW really caters to the workflows and needs of professionals while being reliable, flexible and jettisoning much of the fluff. A pipe dream...

Imagine something as complex as Cubase (as in years of super-specialized highly-paid work by a team of about 20 people, plus all the administration) that you can only sell to about 1,000 people around the world. How much would it cost to buy? My rough estimate: $10,000.
by suntower
Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Import Settings From Previous Version

It -used- to be that Cubase imported settings from prior versions. I seem to recall that was causing issues during the dark days of SX3/SX4 and perhaps that's why it was stopped. I guess the way it's spun now is that this 'protects' the user from a bad install. Fine.

But we're now many years past that and going from 7.0 to .5 should allow one the -option- to import all settings.

I currently have over 600 plugs on my system. Having to reset the Plug-In info for them all is a pain... not to mention about 100 key commands, umpteen 'preferences', 20 colours, etc...

From what I've seen the file format between .0 and .5 is -not- that much different. But even if it -is-, there's no excuse for not having a decent import option from prior versions. Not in 2013.

The rest of the install system has gotten a LOT better from the old days. This last bit just seems out of place in a 'pro' app circa 2013. In fact, I can't think of another app I use that doesn't import from a previous version... even the 'open source' ones.

It's another not so subtle 'we don't care about backward compatibility' deals. All we care about is new, New, NEW!!!!!! Those old users may grouse a little, but forget 'em. This kind of 'polish' doesn't SELL!

---JC
by suntower
Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 VST Instruments window - scroll bar is beyond tiny

+1000

ALL the scroll bars are thinner than linguini.... ESPECIALLY MixConsole. Another annoyance: The scrollbar colours are kinda that reverse that NI uses. I sometimes confuse which is the drag bar and which is the bg.
by suntower
Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5 Activation - Server down?

In 13-14 years... never had this experience before.

I've had -other- dongle issues... like most people... but never for 2-3 days like this. People used to scream all the time about "DONGLES!!!!" but I actually -like- the idea.

Until now. :D
by suntower
Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5 Activation - Server down?

Having the same problem with Halion5. Obviously all eLicensers are down.
by suntower
Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Key Editor > Mocked-up Enhancements for Film Scoring (pi

I have had this discussion so many times... and I'm sick of re-re-re-explaining the same crap and hearing the same 'workarounds'.

When you copy/cut ranges in Cubase (which is basically what yer talking about), you lose any pickup notes and controller data at the beginning -and- you cut off the releases of the final notes. So, I simply don't bother with 'ranges' or 'arranger tracks' or -anything- that divides music into 'chunks' because they aren't -intelligent'.

If I insert a bar before a section... or after, I will likely -break- the keyswitches that transition properly from one section to the next. Even repeats are problematic.

In short: doing something like a repeat sign or a DS... the -simplest- thing in the world for -music- is practically impossible in Cubase when writing for complex instruments.

Now... if you write EDM or pop or rock, where there are no keyswitches or each section simply butt cuts to the next? Your proposal works fine. But the moment you try to do -anything- where the lines are not so clear cut, the whole idea falls apart.

I have no idea why this doesn't REALLY anger others... maybe the just accept it; or maybe very few people write concert music with Cubase. But breaking music into logical sections as you propose will never be practical until the above points are addressed.

One idea that Samplitude has: an 'object' (an event) can be assigned a starting keyswitch. So when you move an event you're -guaranteed- that the proper starting articulation will move with it. Until Cubase develops this kind of 'intelligent events' it's just not useful for me to consider any kind of 'scenes'.

---JC

Thank you Lucas and Rab! Scrubbing was HUGE when I worked in Sonar, and seems like a very logical thing for cubase. One thing that frustrated me so much with Sonar was the fact I had to set the now marker at the beginning of a midi note in order to hear it. But now with cubase, you can set the Cursor anywhere you want, hit play and it magically plays. I don't see why a scrub tool would be a big deal.

JC, Why would you call it pointless? I'ts not creating tiny regions like the tracks, but rather creating 'global' regions that encompasses anything in its path. Perhaps you are not seeing it's potential for locking portions of a project? It basically locks anything to SMTPE time so if you change the tempo everything can be locked in place just for that region. If this still doesn't makes sense, I'll be happy to include a per basis scenario.
by suntower
Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keyboard controller that's best for Cubase 7

If all you need is 61 keys, I can heartily recommend the M-Audio Axiom II. To my utter shock, all the buttons and sliders worked right out of the box to control Cubase quite nicely. It's -kinda- plastic-y but OTOH I think it cost all of $250. I've used it on gigs at least 1/wk for the past 18 months and it hasn't failed yet. So I have no cause for complaint.

---JC
by suntower
Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Automation Point Click Behaviour

When you click on an automation line, it creates a new 'point', but then if you immediately drag that point it drags everything left and right up and down. So much of the time I have to make -two- automation points to get anything done. (Actually, more often -4- to 'protect' the rest of the track from my changes.)

As is often the case, Adobe Premiere and AE have a neat-o solution. When you click to create an automation point and then (while still holding the mouse down) drag to the RIGHT of the automation point, everything to the right goes up or down. And if you click to the LEFT everything preceding the point goes up/down.

There should be a Preference to mimic this behaviour. It's incredibly handy.
by suntower
Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multi Touch update?

I'm trying to visualise using Cubase with any 'pad'. That stuff is fine for an ATM or a cash register or a painting application.

But with all the typing and very finely detailed work I do, I cannot begin to imagine using Cubase. I've tried using a friend's mixer app for live sound and the only reason it works is because the UI is very spartan. With all the stuff that Cubase has? Impossible.

In fact, I'll go further, I've posted before that I actively do NOT want SB to waste one minute on 'touch' as it inevitably will make the UI -harder- to use for guys like me who prefer keyboard. I think the new 'MixConsole' is their toe dip in the water in this regard and so far? Unimpressive.

---JC
by suntower
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Transport: Yet Another Close Window Inconsistency

That is -exactly- the issue. Unfortunately. most people here neither recall or care about the raison d'etre of the original SX.

According to Charlie:
1. To start using a new programming framework that would support 32 and 64 bit OSs and be future-proof.

2. To unify the UI in a -consistent- way. They -fully- recognised how 'balkanised' the UI had become because, as with many small companies: they let the UI for each component be designed by different people, rather than have teams work on the -guts- but then have an architect to enforce a UI standard.

The original look of SX was by Dave Nicholson and it was, IMHO, great. It was -suprisingly- 'modern'. Very -bright- and very flat. I -loved- it. And it responded to a very real problem: BUGS. The program had reached a ceiling. So they gave it the clean sweep.

But over time, as they started adding new 'stuff' it drifted, getting more and more skeuo...whatever and dark. and now it's back where it was in 2000... a dark hodgepodge. Clearly each -guy- gets to do his own UI.

Software companies have a 'personality'... and this is SB's... each guy apparently gets a lot of autonomy. Centralised 'standards' are just not that important so 'consistency' and 'documentation' are low priorities.

I don't long for the bugs of that era, but I -do- wish they had the same goals. Back then Charlie and Lars said it flat out: (paraphrase) "We are sacrificing short term 'features' for 'consistency' and 'stability. We'll add in features as we can, but those two things will always be our top priority because we're making a professional program.'"

Note that Charlie, Dave, Lars, etc. have been out of the picture for a decade.

--JC

PS: If one cares, one has to make some noise. SB people are generally very polite. Like most talented people they are arrogant and condescending and not too concerned with the rabble. Think 'House, MD' They believe what they are doing is 'right'. Their policy has always been to allow 'discussion'. They try to simply ignore grousing and LOVE it when a few 'apologists' make fun of whiners like me... saves them the trouble of policing the forum to have 'poindexters' taken down a peg or two. But when the villager pitchforks come out, they have -ALWAYS- responded. They are -not- comfortable with a lot of complaints because, like most bright people, they hate the idea that they may not be 'getting all A's.'

In short, all it would take would be 5 or 6 people getting seriously dis-chuffed to get some response on any issue. What has happened, IMHO, is that, because of the cesspool that the previous forum became, most guys here now have become -way- too 'civil'. A certain number of people will say, 'Yes, xxxxx would be nice. Please do yyyyyyy.' And that has -never- worked. SB totally ignores that---as do all software devs. Nice does not work with software devs.

Nobody wants to go back to the crappy days of the 'Sparky' forum, but if you want any serious attention to any of these 'details' you'll have to get upset. Comments like, "Boy I'm really looking forward to that new Score!" or "I would like xxxxx too but overall I have to give them credit for..." are less than useless. They are polite, decent, balanced and they only enable more bad behaviour.

What do YOU respond to from customers? Measured 'gee it would be nice if...' or I'M NOT HAPPY!

---JC

I'm a graphic designer by trade. I care!

But I think a lot of this seems to be a case on no one-in-particular in-house design team? Look at ALL the Steinberg stuff, it's a hodgepodge of graphic style, it's all piecemeal. Seems that they need to hire a presiding design director to oversee each and every UI, and require that certain navigational standards are met. A library, if you will, a master set of how elements must be defined, each time they're used.

But someone has to actually CARE about it, because it's never going to be a bottom line. You need that kinda of anal weirdo person in house that just gets jollies from having his socks match his belt.
by suntower
Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm Bored: One -Really- Nice Thing About Cubase...

I dunno if 'threaded' is the correct word, but it's definitely FANTASTIC at letting you play back and work without interruption.

IOW: in every other type of audio, video, photo, text editor I've used, you have to stop playback during a surprising number of tasks. Cubase almost -never- requires one to stop auditioning.

You don't realise that until you work on other programs where stopping every time you want to add or edit something or modify a setting stops everything. I've come to take it so for granted and I -never- think to give SB credit but it's truly amazing.

I grouse a LOT about the UI but truthfully? If I had to choose between this capability and a more modern 'dockable' UI I'd choose this any day of the week.

IOW: if the price of a new UI would be losing this seamless playback under almost all circumstances I'd be strongly tempted to just stick with the current version.

For example, the ONE thing that drives me nuts about Adobe products, which I've written have a very nice UI, is that you have to -stop- all the time when you alter just about -anything-. But when I've groused about it on Adobe Forums the people are sincerely puzzled. They can't imagine being able to say, change an automation point without stopping playback. Something as simple as turning an effect on/off? Gotta stop playback. Because they've =never= had that ability it just doesn't seem to phase 'em. I tolerate it in CS because I only spend a few hours a week with it. But I'm having trouble imagining a DAW world with all those stops/starts.

Maybe competitors are better now, but I noticed that other DAWs I've tried over the years were not quite as 'always on' and if I had stuck with them it definitely would've started to grind. Maybe I've been living under a rock and this is now SOP, but I still find this pretty fantastic.

I dunno how it translates as a feature on a box... but it's worth noting from time to time. The core of Cubase is quite something.
by suntower
Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Rack Is Inconsistent

1. There's no V arrow to select instruments.

2. The header with the RACK and TRACK scrolls with the instruments (like an HTML page?) which is silly. You have to scroll to the top of the 'page' to add a new instrument.

3. The on/off and hide/show buttons are -outside- the 'instrument'... like where the 'bolts' would go if it were real metal. Extra silly. Just move 'em back into the faceplate. Which will leave plenty of extra space to...

4. Fix the scroll bars I cannot stress this enough: The scrollbars are TOO THIN. AND that stupid N/I reverse scheme which makes one wonder what is the 'bar' and what is the 'scroll'.
by suntower
Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Get rid of marker tracks - add markers to the timeline

+1

I'd like the marker, time sig and tempo tracks rolled into ONE unified gizmo that appears in all editors all the time.
by suntower
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vertical Markers

UPDATED: With Visual Indicators! :D

The picture is kinda stupid in that you probably wouldn't need this feature if all yer tracks fit on one screen. But in the CPR I captured this from, it take about 12 page downs to get from top to bottom, so having an instant vertical goto would be very helpful.

VerticalMarkers.jpg I've been mentioning this a lot lately.

There should be a way to hang a little coloured tag on the end of certain key tracks in yer CPR (like one of those book marker thingees you use to dog ear key pages in textbooks you're not supposed to damage. :D )

And there should be 10 key commands that can be assigned to each of these coloured markers.

So, you press the key and presto... you're instantly at the marked track... but at the current bar/beat

Sort of like having 10 memzaps.

And of course, on the toolbar there should be a grid to click on to select these... as with horizontal markers.

To make room for this? Simple: Why not get rid of those 'Track Pictures'.
a) they're simply ----way---- too small to be useful.
b) they take up valuable screen real estate... even when 'hidden'
c) it kinda galls me that someone spent time working on something that silly.
d) there's everything from canaries to not one but TWO grand pianos, and yet.... NO COWBELL. :D
by suntower
Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Track version should also track inserts/sends on/off/byp

+1. I totally get it. The whole idea seems so well thought out that it's been something of a drag for me so far.

If you don't mind... I always think a specific example helps:

Say you're doing a wah-wah guitar. Obviously the 'wahs' are going to be different from take to take. It's a real erection killer to be wailing away and not have the effect being maintained from take to take.
by suntower
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Move Entire Event -Inside- Key Editor

#61 on a series of related F/Rs that all stem from the fact that the Key Editor is isolated from the Arranger.

What I would like to be able to do is pick up and move the entire event from INSIDE the key editor. IOW, I want to be able to, whilst inside the key editor, be able to move not just the start/end points but the entire contents in one go.

What happens to me a LOT is that I'll be inside the key editor and realise that somehow the event has gotten moved. So I've been tweaking things without seeing that the problem is that the whole event needs to be jogged a bit. So I have to exit the key editor, figure out how to move it, then go back inside.

This is part of a long list of F/Rs where I've stated that one should be able to operate on events -inside- the Key Editor, not just move them, but split them, clone them (with a different colour), copy them, etc. without exiting the key editor.

-Maybe- the solution is to beef up the Inline Editor in some way... perhaps make it zoomable and then 'tear-offable' into it's own child window when needed.
by suntower
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Get rid of marker tracks - add markers to the timeline

My main grouse is that all these myriad track types take up too much real estate. If they could be hidden/shown but all on one thin strip...
by suntower
Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Closing Cubase could be more elegant

LOL. The funny part is that it's about 4x faster than it used to be. Around the time of SX3/SX4 you could predict how long it took to shut down... it was exactly the same amount of time it took to load a CPR. There was much screaming.

What no one could ever get a straight answer to was: -Why-?

(Side rant to SB Customer Service... you can really smooth a LOT of ruffled customer feathers if you simply explain 'why')

The thing is: no other program I've ever used takes so long to close. If you've already saved your work, what's the deal? All programmers know that, at least under Windows, closing a file takes no time. Even closing 1,000 files is essentially instantaneous.

You can have a HUMONGOUS video project in Adobe or Final Cut and it closes < 1 second.

What bothered some of us is this: when Cubase closes it obviously -does- write a LOT of data to disk. It re-saves all those 'settings' files to disk which never made sense to me. IOW: it re-writes your key commands, global settings, VST Plug-In settings, et al, even if you've never touched them.

That's the freaky thing. I still worry a teensy bit during that shut down phase because if it burps, you lose all yer settings.

But the short answer is: it shouldn't require any 'elegance' at all because it should take less than 1 second.
by suntower
Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

'Classic Mode' Instrument Rack

I know it's been yacked about 1,000 times but the whole Rack thing is just -so- dreadful now. I think an obvious, if clunky, solution for those of us who are old and soon to retire anyway...

Classic Mode.

A preference which restores the old behaviour... one line per VSTi... no quick controls... none of the new input/output gizmos... a nice, fat scroll bar.

If one gets beyond like -3- VSTis... it becomes a complete PITA. And it finally dawned on me that it was pretty much exactly what I needed -before-. IOW: none of the new features do much for a guy like me who still gets an $8 haircut.

Just paste the old code in for those of us too old to even see how to scroll down with the new one.

---JC
by suntower
Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

Yeah, I've ranted about this in the F/R forum about 4,123,602 times. My Groucho-answer?

Don't bother trying.

Seriously. I try to -avoid- MixConsole. It reminds me too much of that old game OPERATION...

....if you touch the sides? You blew it Charlie.

There should be a mode where:

Single Click... selects the channel
Double-Click -activates- all the channel gizmos.
by suntower
Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

one click. F3

I believe this is just one of those things that either one feels it or doesn't. Yes, it's 'one' click. One thousand times a day.

If it doesn't bug -you- cool, but please no eye rolling. For a certain group of people the current UI really is quite an inconvenience. I certainly work significantly slower in 7.5 than I did in 6.
by suntower
Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI Track Pitch Bend

+1 for both.

I've ranted before that controller lanes should be more 'intelligent'... ie. Pitch should be displayed (and edited) differently from Sustain (2 or at most 3 values), etc.
by suntower
Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A little automation help

I had to page down to see the punch line.

I've been thinking more and more about why I keep feeling like Cubase has gotten harder to use since C5.

The BIG new features are cool, but the details stuff has gotten decidedly more difficult. The irony is that it -appears- more elegant, but the 'clunkier' looking nodes of 5.5 were MUCH more user-friendly.

All these teensy... or outright 'hidden' objects are like the new iPhone stuff... they look cool, but they actually take 2x as long to get things done.

---JC
by suntower
Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another Automation Idea: Parabola Tool

I think the activity -most- people do wrt automation is basically, creat four points in the area they want to either reduce or increase so it is isolated from the surrounding bits and then pull the top two points up/down.

It hit me today that there is a tool in Photoshop called 'liquify'. One thing it does is grab a small area and suck it up like an eye dropper... leaving the surrounding area untouched. EUREKA!

So there should be a Sucker/Parabola tool in Cubase for automation.

1. Activate the tool (it could look like an eyedropper/hoover/whatever)

2. Click on the spot that you want to reduce... a narrow parabola appears under the cursor. The default width is based on the current quantise setting.

3. Now just drag: Up to make an upward parabola (increase), down for a downard parabola (decrease). Et Viola! While the tool is active, you could use the +/- keys to narrow or increase the width.

4. When you switch back to the Select tool, a series of points would be placed which approximate the parabola (as now happens with the Sine tool.)

No more dicking with four points.

Another beauty of this idea: SB already has the code! It's basically just one segment of the sine tool! So it should be a doddle to implement.
by suntower
Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: automation in key editor question

For this reason alone, I would recommend using expression maps whenever possible. I fought it for---ehver, but it helps.

Also, you can see any controller info from the precending and succeeding parts in that translucent colour. Doesn't help if the setting was changed 100 bars earlier, though. :D
by suntower
Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Export naming scheme

+1

There have been many requests for added file naming options, including this.

All from me, unfortunately. :D

My preference would be a Linux-style set of parameters so one could create their own 'formula', but that appears far too poindexter for most.
by suntower
Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A timed TEXT display track/window (like karaoke)

I've requested a dedicated Lyric Track for years... which would integrate with Score.

The text would dynamically stretch (or add hairpins) to accommodate the size of the event---just as would happen with engraved lyrics. There should also be little markers (which would align to warp tabs) for indicating word syllables.

---JC
by suntower
Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Repeat Last Process Key Command?

I dunno if this is possible, but I would love it if there was a 'Repeat Last Process' function.
All graphics programs have this sort of thing and it's really handy for applying the same 'effect' over and over.

Eg.

1. if you did a small Pitch Shift, you could hit Ctrl-R (or whatever) and it would duplicate that same exact pitch envelope.
2. if you selected an EQ plug-in to do some destructive mid-cut on one track, you could go to the next track and duplicate the exact same cut in one keystroke.

etc...
by suntower
Mon May 05, 2014 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Blue Sky Request: Automation 'Lint'

In computer programming there are numerous tools you can run on yer code to remove extraneous junk... lines of code that are redundant or don't do anything (because they are superseded by something afterwards.) These are referred to as 'lint' or 'prettifiers'.

By the time I'm done with a large CPR I will have TONS of 'lint'...

eg. empty tracks, hundreds of useless automation points, maybe VSTis that aren't used.

It would be nice to have some sort of 'lint' tool... that would identify this junk and give one the option to optimise the project. I'm sure it would have a 'slimming' effect. Perhaps speed up loading or make exports more reliable or reduce weird errors that happen when a CPR gets too big.

Or maybe it would just look neater. :D

---JC
by suntower
Fri May 16, 2014 7:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Export Audio: All Cycle Markers

Maybe this seems esoteric but...

I want to hit Export Audio and have an option to create separate WAV files for all the Cycle Markers in the CPR all in one go... like Song-cmk1.wav, Song-cmk2.wav, etc...

A frequent thing for me is to work on a large piece with like 2000 bars, which may have 6 'sections' that I'm thinking about. Until very late in the process, they will be little 'islands' unto themselves... almost separate 'songs'. What I do is Export Audio on each section, throw it onto a CD (gasp) or iPhone and think about how bad each one sounds away from the DAW. Currently this is a tedious process.

Unfortunately, the 'macro' thing isn't possible as there's no reliable way to

do until eof
----select marker
----export
----next marker
end
by suntower
Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [POLL] Are you using media bay ?

A. I can't figure it out.
B. How the h-e-l-l is anyone supposed to 'tag' all their terabytes of crap? It ain't like they give one the tools do it. And it doesn't integrate with anything else.
C. Which means it's completely half-baked. (is that an oxymoron?)
D. If it were fully-baked, it would be awesome.
E. If I won the lottery, -I- would be awesome.
F. I dunno which is more likely.

I have a LOT of rage against Mediabay. The UI of Mediabay and VSTPresets is the biggest disaster in my entire time with 'SX'.
by suntower
Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OK, I'm Goin' Hog Wild: Get Rid Of Sends and Groups And FX

'Sends'... and the whole 'routing' deal is -so- 1999.

I'm not advocating the P/T scheme, but I'm sick of waiting for the ability to Mult. And the scheme used in Nuendo for 'Advanced Routing' is basically just another extension of a 'real' mixer... which is -so- 1970.

I just wanna have BUSSES. I want every track, whether audio or MIDI to simply be routable to any other track. Full stop.

Oddly, if you have Superior Drummer, they have nice little gizmo. Every buss has a pop-up where you can check off where you want it to be sent and a fader to select how much signal to 'send'. By default it selects the logical choices.

So there should simply be a pop-up list of places each track should go TO and came FROM. No more arbitrary 'Sends' or 'Auxes' or 'Groups' or 'FX'. Just -tracks-.

The double benefit would be that you could have as many submixes as you like.

The treble benefit is that it doesn't break the current metaphor. If you wanna continue to think in terms of 'Groups', you just colourise yer tracks as before.

Now here's the real kicker to make this work: VISIBILITY. Since we now have Visibility Presets, to keep this manageable, you would just create Visibility Preset to show only the 'Sends' or 'Returns' you would want to see for each track. ie. you'd set up a V/P called 'Sends' which would show only those tracks as options when 'sending'. Or maybe you'd have a 'Bass Mult' V/P to show the tracks you might want to pipe your bass track to. But the nomenclature would be just for your comfort. You could just as easily call these routings 'Salmon Burgers'.

The point is that we don't need these arbitrary 'track types' anymore. They made sense back when people were converting from the 'Mixer' metaphor, but we're past that now. Most people don't even -use- a real mixer now unless they play live. Tracks are just lego blocks that should be stackable any which way.

The same could be said for MIDI. No need for 'Sends', just destinations.
by suntower
Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OK, I'm Goin' Hog Wild: Get Rid Of Sends and Groups And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REvmhBO99I4

I mean what do people stress about? SMOKE? FLAMES? Do people still really think computers 'short circuit' if they have to calculate too many digits of PI? :D Can we please get past Star Trek 1966?

I'm more worried that this would get implemented with a crappy UI than any technical issues.
by suntower
Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Poll: Time to say goodbye to the old MIDI Channel Editor

At the risk of being contrarian, I think yer asking the wrong question.

I think that if all the buttons, widgets, icons and other denizens of the UI were simply -consistent- throughout the problem would solve itself.

I think there's a post where I stopped at about a dozen such inconsistencies in just the Track gizmo. (My personal fave: if I click the gray Lanes icon, it changes to a violet colour AND the icon changes. Belt and suspenders!)

I personally don't care what they look like, whether they light up, flip down or roll over and play dead... if they all just looked and worked THE SAME I'd be about 50% happier with Cubase.
by suntower
Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FR: Non stepped pitch bend | Bézier curve

Yeah, I'm on board. I've eye-rolled about this for a good while, but now I see... if you do a lot of swoops and whatnot, it's a right PITA with the current system.

Drawing a <cough> 'line' creates 12,489 little dots.
by suntower
Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic