Search found 144 matches

Return

Re: NEW CMC TOOLS AND FIRMWARE

Shift lock (2 Sec delay to engage shift tap to disengage) would be very welcome, and not only on the PD.
I'm not sure if lighting the PD buttons is even possible. I suppose for function mode it would be useful, but certainly not in other modes - i.e. where the intensity of the light reflects the pressure.
It is a pity that the pads do not behave (in conjunction with synth e.g. GA1) as they do in the GUI as many had expected. I'm not sure this is possible (never checked whether there is a midi local on/off toggle or something) - of course one can route the track (or copy therof) output to the PD and then it behaves as expected, but this involves an absurd redundancy - might as well just set the PD in demo mode.
by BriHar
Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M Outputs/Routing

...do they sell SPDIF to TOSLINK audio cables?
Yes.
There are also adapters which convert A/D for S/PDIF inputs and/or D/A for the outputs, enabling connection to other audio gear with only analog ins/outs.

So, the analog outs are labeled as "Mix" in Cubase and "DAW" is the SPDIF out?
What about the "FX Bus"?
The outs seen by Cubase are the mix busses 1-3. These can be output onto either physical output pairs A,B or C in alternate mode (meaning you can listen to a given mix on any of three separate monitor pairs- one at a time) or all three mix busses can be output onto separate A B C pairs in independent mode (thus enabling 6ch surround - i.e. any track can be individually routed to any of the 6 separate physical outputs).
The output of the S/PDIF can be selected from any of the Mix bus pairs or the DAW (9,10) out pair, selectable from the control panel for the UR28M and is a good choice for external devices.
The FX bus refers to the internal Reverb Bus.
by BriHar
Fri May 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Manual Booklet (?)

Seeing as how C7 isn't even finished yet, and in view of the various changes which have been made since first introduced, I wouldn't waste money on a printed manual yet - probably why they never printed one in the first place. Perhaps ther'll be one with 7.x (where x is probably =>5). As it is the PDF is already in need of revision, so think twice before you put out cash to have it printed in hardcopy form!
by BriHar
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recommended laptop models

I've heard only good things about Lenovo notebooks and Cubase.
I don't use a notebook for Cubase but I do use Lenovo and can testify that I have no problems.
If they're good enough for NASA and used on the ISS ...
by BriHar
Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mini The Moog

I got a copy of Wendy Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis which is not bad, also have an old vinyl copy of the Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music, which includes a great booklet.
Never seen this one by Pappin but it looks very interesting - provided it's not too simplistic. ;)
by BriHar
Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixing Headphones (Help ?)

I preferred the AKG K601 (Open) for mixing over the 701s (I think they were just the preceding serie), but definitely AKG K271MkII (Closed) for tracking.
by BriHar
Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any Black Friday sales on Cubase 7??

Black Friday is an american thing and not international, furthermore, it is also a thing for retailers, so ask at your usual outlets.
by BriHar
Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: got my order in for 7.5

Seeing as how there's still no printed manual, I'll probably go for the download this time. ;)
by BriHar
Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: More than 1 FD unit - Useful or confusing ?

jamesn81 wrote:Hi BriHar,
You mention that you started with 8 .... Steinberg state that you can have a maximum of 4 ... can you really have 8?

Sorry, bit of a screwup there between units and faders - I mean't I started with 8 Faders (i.e. 2 Units) then expanded to 16 Faders i.e. 4 units total ;)
by BriHar
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ha Ha
He's over 30!
by BriHar
Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The headphones in question are only for doing work while travelling. What I mean is they will be used while travelling on trains (Switzerland here you know), hence the decision for closed back to help isolate. It probably won't be so much actual mixing (which he primarily does here in my studio in a properly configured monitoring environment) but rather for evaluation and decision making etc while en route.
There are many headphones which would fit the bill in this case, primary consideration being they should not be too bassy which so many headphones are.
by BriHar
Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, thanks a lot. Recording this scenario is something i would like to learn and do, but my 1 x bedroom flat is not large enough to cater for this.

Don't let that hinder you! It simply means you'll have to take extra care in adding in ambience in the mix. Some find that if you can't get a decent room sound, best to deaden it altogether and create a virtual room (reverb, delay etc.) in the post. Vocal booths are typical examples of this philosophy in practice.
by BriHar
Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it time to wash the Cubase 7.5 tshirt ?

Carpe diem; enjoy it while you can, come January, if we get a 7.51, it'll be obsolete :cry:
by BriHar
Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The HD25-1/II weren't available so I got a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros - a little more expensive, but good sound.

Thanks, so you mean record the Vocal/Guitar as DRY as possible (but giving the artiste any FX they desire just for the purpose of the recoding in their headphones), and then add the 'true' FX in the Post recording.

That's it. ;)
by BriHar
Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monitoring the Yamaha HS7's

...And if you're interested in profiling the room you intend to record and mix in, this free software tool might help:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
by BriHar
Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi-OX (software ?)

That software hasn't been updated for quite some time (2010 I believe). It might very well run in compatibility mode though.
There is a MIDI monitor included with Cubase (see midi effects in the plugin reference pdf) which might suffice for your needs instead.
by BriHar
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bars and ruler not aligned

Was the project initially created in a version prior to 7.5 and now opened in 7.5?
I've seen similar problems in 7.5 with projects created in 7.0x
by BriHar
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixer Console cant move to second screen.

Yes in Cubase, in the mixer window.
COM (Cubase Operation Manual) Pg.79
by BriHar
Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Loving CMC-TP but...

You activate the LED Dimmer in Cubase Devices "Steinberg CMC Series"
by BriHar
Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Easiest way to upgrade to 7.5??

From the Steinberg homepage go to Shop and select Cubase 7.5
by BriHar
Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28m signal problem

As Cubase takes complete control over the UR28M, the signal routing of the UR28M in standalone operation (no Cubase in this context) can be completely different. So what you're experiencing is normal.
There are a number of factors involved here.
First and foremost you need to have your Ins and Outs setup properly in VST connections in Cubase - ensure you have Ins 3 and 4 setup as a stereo input pair. You should see meter activity on the input channels. (Enable hardware in your mixconsole channelstrip and bypass the insert if need be.)
Create an Audio track routed from 3/4, and send this to the outs corresponding to your monitors.
Enable the monitor (speaker icon) for the track.
You should now see activity on the track and output channel, and of course hear it in your monitors.
by BriHar
Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase vs Task Manager CPU usage don't match

They're not showing the same thing!
Search for CPU Usage in the forum e.g. viewtopic.php?f=194&t=53823&hilit=CPU+usage
;)
by BriHar
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drop the x32bit versions of all your softwares.

They give you the option to install either or both. What's the problem? You're missing the point! ;)

Preserving backwards compatibility hinders progress! Bloats the software - increasing installation and download times; adds unnecessary complexity to the program increasing runtimes and the introduction of bugs and other issues.
Backwards compatibility and support for older technologies is necessary and to be expected over a couple of generations, but at some point you have to let it go.
A good point was made earlier in regard to Direct X - back at the time this was dropped there was a huge outcry - we survived, and haven't looked back. How many people still swear by VCR (try and find a player).
by BriHar
Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 with Midi messages

Set "Mackie Control" to compatibility mode.
Possibly your master Keyboard is in Omni mode, or you might need to go into MIDI filter and check your SysEx
by BriHar
Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg plug in knobs "frozen"

I believe the preferred behaviour can be set in options.
by BriHar
Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using UR22 and Yamaha THR together?

Generally (with the exception of ASIO4ALL which is an independent universal driver) an ASIO Driver is specific to the Hardware in question, hence the UR22 will have a separate driver than the THR. Cubase and it's family will only recognize a single ASIO driver interface.
Professional DAW setups do indeed have multiple A-to-D interfaces operating at once, tracking many sources in one take. This is however accomplished with a single (or multiple stacked) interface E.g. the UR824 which has 8 I/O (= A/D) can be stacked to deliver 24 I/O(A/D). The UR22 was obviously never intended as a studio interface.

Recording guitar via THR over the UR22 while simultaneously recording E.g. a vocal track would require that you use the UR ASIO Driver in Cubase_x, and record the THR via the stereo audio output (I would think the THR Editor software will still be able to communicate with the THR over USB using the THR Driver).

I use Line 6 POD XTL and record over the audio outs as do most other AmpSim users I know.

Unless A mod can provide more info here, try the above solution and see if it works for you, it's a fairly typical compromise.
by BriHar
Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cue sends as graphic mixer

I would like to have an option to view cue sends in a normal vertical fader type mixer analog which is much more intuitive for setting up a cue mix just as any other mix - the graphic curve formed by the levels of the faders is second nature to anyone mixing, and is completely lost when all the faders are horizontally oriented as in the existing cue send mix rack.
Whether this be realized with an extended rack view or with a separate mixer instance is relatively unimportant I should think.
(As a adjunct, it would also be nice if the CMC-FD controllers could be switched to represent these cue sends or alternate mixers (even normal sends etc.))
by BriHar
Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: free course "Critical listening for studio production"

But you do feel your getting some benefit from it ?
Hope you'll give us your comments and opinions.
by BriHar
Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To control room or not to control room. Issues.

Aha! Yes, this is correct, It remains - but stays unconnected there.
by BriHar
Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Bit Of Help Needed Please (thanks !)

Just to clear up a couple of points...
If your DVD Disc can't hold more than the 4.6, then you need to get double layer DVDs. ;)
Doubleclicking should mount them like a drive as mentioned however to do this with older OSs, you'll need a utility such as the one linked to on the Cubase Download page "WinCDEmu".
by BriHar
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A Bit Of Help Needed Please (thanks !)

Blueray could open another can of worms requiring compatible soft and hardware. I'd just get standard dual layer DVD blanks from a Store (Office supply stores will usually carry them).
The WinCDEmu applet needs to be downloaded just google it. ;)
by BriHar
Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: how to set up 2 headphone mix in ur44?

You route to the mixes and then route the mixes to the headphones . Headphone 1 is hardwired to mix 1. In the control panel you can specify which mix to hear in headphone 2.
You'll have to spend a little time getting your head around this mix/output concept - it's critical and gives you a certain flexibility.
Typically you set up a different mix (a cue) using the channel que sends in the Cubase mixer (otherwise any set of aux sends will work).
by BriHar
Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: cant use dsp mixer in cubase 7.5

It's actually very well explained in the UR User Manual. But to help clarify, the DSPMixFX Application is not used within Cubase and won't run if Cubase is running. Cubase has it's own handling routines for the UR built in.
You get to them via the Hardware rack in the mixer. Here too you can access the Rev-x sends as well as the hardware channel strip as well as the Amp simulations.
by BriHar
Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Signatures, signatures...... (??)

I concur with the majority here. I'd say Platform and version are paramount, Audio and Midi interface(s) should also be listed Computer specifics are helpful, as can be controller info.
I find the tech info in a sig. is not only important for helping someone with a problem, but also helpful to see what people are using who have no problems ;)
by BriHar
Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thank You Steinberg for making me lose business....

I updated from Cubase 5.x to 7 and so never had Cubase 6 installed. With the installation of C5 however, HSO was included. This is a standalone Instrument, and can also be used outside of Cubase. It reminds one of an early prototype of Halion Sonic (which it may well be) but very quirky and I've always found it complicated and difficult to use.

Once the HSO Trial ended I licensed the software - the license is still registered. When I installed C7, the HSO was retained, so I can still add it onto a track (but as I said I find the interface difficult - Halion frontend would suit me better)

I understand that as of Cubase 6.x, HSO was integrated directly into Halion Sonic SE.
My question is how do I go about getting this integration? I've got Cubase 7.5.10 plus a Halion Sonic Orchestra license. Where do I get the Library? Halion doesn't appear to be able to read the HSO library that was installed.
by BriHar
Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MultiBand Compressor Bypass Buttons

A New Machine then I suppose...
:D
by BriHar
Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Faderport foot switch not working in C7.5

I got your PM. I assumed you were using a Mackie emulation. I think you're probably right about changes to the controller interface being the culprit. You might try using an emulation mode, or/and make a support request from your My Steinberg account.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Features] Important new feature suggestions on CMC-Seri

Channel selection via CMC-FD fader.
Having previously used a mackie emulation controller when moving multiple faders the selection focus in cubase would hop all over between the tracks in question. This used to drive me nuts, and I was so glad when the CMC FD didn't affect the focus. Having said that, there is a downside, The ability to select a track via the hardware is otherwise sorely missed.

Using the incremental channel selectors (e.g. on the CMC-CH) is usually a pain if the tracks are not consecutive, and in the end one is obliged to resort to the mouse.

It would be nice to have this facility integrated into the CMC-FDs. I could see perhaps a double tap (without shift) (anywhere) on the strip being a good solution.
by BriHar
Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR824 and UR28M firmware and Tools update version 2

Don't panic, everything works fine as it should.
by BriHar
Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where can I download the 7.5 User Manual

The manual hasn't been revised since C7 so from the bottom of the download page for C7 you can download the docs.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... ase_7.html
by BriHar
Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 28M and C7.5.1 : "Comfort verb" in cans only (not record

The RevX has nothing to do with the FX position. The built-in HW DSP RevX is only for the monitor signal i.e. cannot be recorded (you have plugin RevX for track processing). Which mix is to be "hardwired" can be switched in the control panel.
Reverb can be rather demanding of processor power, so having this integrated in the DSP of the interface specifically for e.g. the artists monitor is very handy.
by BriHar
Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 28M and C7.5.1 : "Comfort verb" in cans only (not record

Without going into the variations, and leaving the definition of what constitutes a "comfort verb" between you and your artist, I'll give a simple example as I usually use it.

For various reasons I use Mix 1 for my artist Cue (my cue sends in the mixer are routed to mix 1 in the Control room mixer. Also to be clear, I use mono inputs for the mics (although that's really neither here nor there).

In the UR Hardware Setup Window (I have this mapped to a Keycommand for convenience) on the reverb Routing tab, set the routing select to Mix 1L/R and set up the reverb according to your taste (Type, Time, Return level etc.)

The Phones 1 are hardwired to mix 1, so these automatically become the artist Phones - turn them up on the UR.
Adjust the amount of signal to send to the Reverb on the Hardware rack in the Cubase mixer console (bottom control).

I think that should cover it.
by BriHar
Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can I set each kit piece to different channels?

You might also consider loading the specific samples into Groove Agent which was built more specifically for this.
by BriHar
Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8: VST Sandboxing (poll)

"Sandboxing" existed long before Apple apps, even predates handheld technology altogether. It came to 'popular' usage in regard to virus and malware protection schemes, but was in use even long before that in program and subroutine testing procedures.
Please don't add to the growing illusion that this is another new Apple technology. Fodder for the sheeple.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Apogee UV22HR in Cubase 7.5

Among the Documentation included in your installation, there should be one entitled "Plug-in Reference", have a look at it particularly in regard to the UR22HR.
In short, you add this to your output channel (track) on one of the last two insert slots (these last two are always post fader). The context menu (right click) will also offer you the ability to "Move to -" Pre or Post fader slot.
by BriHar
Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Properly disconnecting UR44 from usb port, procedure

That sounds as good a procedure as any, and one I myself might adhere to.
The unit is proper plug-&-play so there should be no adverse effects from just unplugging it. I would however at least recommend that any applications using it, first be terminated as you describe in your current approach.
by BriHar
Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Properly disconnecting UR44 from usb port, procedure

With the appropriate
USB Port Precautions NOTICE:
Be sure to observe the following points when connecting to the computer’s USB interface.
Failing to do so may result in the computer freezing or shutting down, as well as corruption or even loss of data. If the device or computer does freeze, restart the application or computer.
• Be sure to wake the computer from sleep/ suspended/stand by mode before making a connection to the computer’s USB port.
• Before turning on the power to the device, connect the computer to the USB port.
• Before turning on/off the device or plugging/ unplugging the USB cable, quit any open application software on the computer.
• When connecting or disconnecting the USB cable, be sure to set all output level controls to the minimum.
• Wait at least six seconds between connecting or disconnecting the USB cable.
No you don't need to "eject" it but I would turn it off or put it on standby, though I think you'll find it will automatically go into standby.
by BriHar
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VST instruments window not appearing

Possibly it has been moved to the very extreme edge of the screen, or completely off screen. You can have a quick look around your screen edges (use the mouse to expose any hotspots). Otherwise, you might try trashing your preferences.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please, implement Audio Bus software and AUX INPUT track

I assume you're abviously coming from ProTools.
1. The GUI is a matter of personal taste, If you don't like it and this is important for you, then I'd suggest staying with PT.
2. Why these limitations?
3. If you haven't figured out how to make Auxs in Cubase, perhaps another sign you should stay with PT.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ranking Categories

Is that not the primary goal of the Rating system?
You can of course define your own User attribute if the former is not what you want.
by BriHar
Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Need help with my new UR28M.

-When i put my mic on playback i can only hear myself in the left headphone ear, how can i fix that? A Mic is typically a mono source so recording onto a stereo track will have it either left or right depending on the specific input used. Record on a mono track.
-How do i turn up my microphone(it's low on skype and Ts3.) Make sure you're using the inputs 1 or 2, and use the gain control, also ensure the pad is not engaged. Other wise, if using a DAW you can additionally add gain in the Pre of the recording track. Otherwise you may need a discreet preamp.
-How can i adjust my voice for streaming n stuff. This question is too open-ended to answer.

You really should add a bit more background like what kind of mic you are using; are you using Cubase or just the DspMixFX software, (and then recording into what)? This info would save a lot hit and miss Q&A.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saving recorded audio bits as wav files?

The pool shows you the name and location of the the file (usually in the audio folder). So just copy it whereever you want.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HOW TO CONVERT AUDIO TO MIDI ON CUBASE 7

END OF SHOUTING MATCH
by BriHar
Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Most important feature ever. Ver8

Scab Pickens wrote:
godparticle7 wrote:THIS IS WHAT WE NEED!

We?

I seem to have missed the election :?
by BriHar
Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you an audio engineer but lonely?

The last line kind'a says it all.
I'll give it a pass for now if it's all the same...
:D
by BriHar
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: master buss graphic cut off

This may be related to your zoom settings as well as your screen resolution settings. See if changing these has any impact.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do I overwrite automation?

Open the Automation Panel and change the automation mode and/or Fill. See the Operation Manual Pg. 289 (eng.)
by BriHar
Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Generally I'm very happy with the update. I was a little disappointed to see that with the revamping of the control room, they still forgot (once again) to include the AI control coding for many of the controls - i.e. there are still a number of controls which do not respond to the AI knob!
Regarding the AOT, they need to add a AMOT ('aways more on top' or AOOT 'over the top') :lol: But seriously, they could perhaps use an organizational layering technique so that one can specify what is truly "on top". I trust however that this will become a mute point once they properly redo the windowing system architecture (originally planned for 7 but now I believe scheduled for 8) so I don't anticipate anything before the next major version.
by BriHar
Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

trust however that this will become a mute point once they properly redo the windowing system architecture (originally planned for 7 but now I believe scheduled for 8) so I don't anticipate anything before the next major version.

what is the source of this bit of info btw?
From an early Cubase 7 Musotalk (german) video interview (Youtube) with a.o. Helge Vogt and a few of the actual Beta testers.
by BriHar
Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

silhouette wrote:Plus a tongue firmly in your nether cheeks.

Well, I can't bend that way so that lets me out... :lol:
by BriHar
Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Joemensor wrote:
All I had to do with Reaper was download the White Tie Imperial Theme.
If only Cubase looked like that, genuinely thinking of jumping ship after seeing this.

Some get attracted by shiny things... :lol:
I second your intention to jump ship!
by BriHar
Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bitwig - competition is great

I just hope that in all fairness, some of you are running a thread in the Bitwig forum, giving them an earful of how this, that and the other feature should be more like Cubase.
:lol:
by BriHar
Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M-Dedicated Windows for Cubase Series

The dspMixFx app has no influence on Cubase. I am fairly certain your problem was caused because the ASIO driver was not selected in Cubase which could have been caused by the UR28M not being turned on when Cubase was started or being turned off and back on while Cubase was running. This is important other wise if the unit is turned on after Cubase starts, you will have to re-select it in the control panel (and possibly need to remap it in vst connections) but the hardware racks may not be visible in the mixer.
To ensure you're set up correctly, turn the UR28M on prior to starting up Cubase.
In Cubase Device Setup go to VST Audio system and select the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver in the ASIO Driver pull down.
There will now be further choice for the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO under VST Audio System in the left pane. Click on this and you will be presented with all the ins and outs of the unit (most should be Active except possibly the S/PDIF ins and DAW outs). At the top of the right panel you will see Control Panel in which you can set your buffer size and sample rate.
After closing the Device Setup window, select Audio Harware setup from the Devices menu and you will see the window shown in the documentation in which you can make various HW adjustments.
Next step would be to open the VST Connections window and select or control the inputs and outputs.
Finally, in the mixer, ensure that racks are selected in the layout, that input channels are selected in channel types, and then hardware selected in Racks.
At the bottom of the hardware graphic in the rack you will see a headphone symbol and a bargraph. Clicking on either of these also opens the UR28M Hardware setup with the headphone select tab or reverb tab selected respectively.
Hope this helps.
by BriHar
Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M Outputs/Routing

So if I want to hook up a mono analog external fx unit can I use one of the 4 outputs on B and C while still monitoring the main mix output on A? I'm trying to do this but not sure how.

Yes. This will require you to set the unit into independent mode, sync or bind the sources (mix 1-3) to the outputs, and of course route the track to the specific mix L or R. You will also probably want to disengage link when setting independent mode in this case.
Binding the source to the outputs sounds complicated to explain but actually easy to do - when you're in independent mode, press output A then select mix 1, now press output B and select mix 2, finally press output C and select mix 3. From this point on use only the output selectors - do not touch the mix select button! You will see that as you switch between outputs, the correponding source will automatically switch between mixes. After this operation, the mix 1 pair are 'hardwired' (bound) to the output A pair, the mix 2 pair are 'hardwired' to the output B pair and similarly mix 3 to C.
You can now for example connect your monitors to outputs A(L/R) and your device to B(L). In the DAW route your tracks generally to the mix 1 bus and the track(s) being used as sends to your external device to mix 2 (L).
by BriHar
Fri May 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4 x FD set-up Cubase

If the FDs are not in sequence upon reboot, then you need to put the HW devices themselves in the right order. This should only be necessary once as the sequence should not change thereafter - unless you're in the habit of disconnecting them - changing their connection sequence on a hub or even changing the port to which a hub is usually connected could cause a change in the sequence.
Changing the sequence is also possible in Cubase Device manager, but can be more confusing and even "messy". Changing their physical positions is by far the easiest way.
by BriHar
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 crosshair artifact & selection rectangle vanishes

I used to be a huge fan of ATI (now AMD). Many years ago, the company in Scarborough Ont. custom built me a version of their Allinwonder for use in Europe. I discovered later that I was having graphic problems (Artefacts) with the cursor and such in AutoCAD (just like the problems you're having!). I added a second monitor, and added an NVidia graphic card for the second monitor (back then there were very few multimonitor cards, and each screen required a video card.
I wanted to try a new animation software - Blender (similar to Maya) and discovered that it just turned the screen black, until I moved it to the second monitor and suddenly there it was. Tried Autocad on the second monitor and there were no glitches.
I replaced the Radeon with a newer Radion but the graphics problems were still evident. Since then I will never recommend Radeon. It might be great for games, but I have only experienced problems with technical graphics.
by BriHar
Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How t add SimmosSD5X E-drum to midi devices

Your kit should be connected via the USB Port, it should then be recognized as a midi port in Cubase (in no case should you connect using both USB + 5 Pin simultaneously!). You can additionally connect the audio outs of the kit to the computer with audio cables. I haven't a clue what you mean with a printer cable - I'm assuming you mean a USB cable such as one might use to connect a printer.
You don't mention what soundcard you're using. If you mean the one built into the laptop, then I doubt you have a MIDI port. I can't even imagine how you are connecting the 5-pin MIDI out to the laptop :? Or do you have some other Interface - you don't say.

Perhaps you could describe your connections and laptop + soundcard in a bit more detail.
Regardless, what I said at the beginning of the post is correct.
by BriHar
Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M and Cubase Control Room - do they play nice togeth

Hello Alexis,

You're probably concerned that the Control room as well as the UR28M both handle some of the same functions - mono, mute, dim etc. The HW controls are independent from the SW controls so actually you can use either - whichever is handiest or appropriate at the moment. (using both together is possible but not especially useful ;) )

I usually recommend users to use Mix 1 for the primary Artist Mix. The main reason for this is that a number of things are automatically wired to Mix 1 by default (and can't be altered). E.g. the Phones 1 are hardwired to Mix 1 whereas the Phones 2 can be switched between all mixes - it follows therefore that phones 2 should be the engineers phones, leaving the phones 1 relegated to the artist cue ergo, mix 1. The 2TR Input is also hardwired to mix 1, making this an ideal Talkback if necessary, without sacrificing a proper input (note this function is then completely independent of the talkback function in the CR - which would typically not be used - set up) this in addition to it's usual function.

Most important - get it clear in your mind that the mixes and the outputs are two different things and not to be confused. Once you've got that firmly implanted, the rest will fall into place.
by BriHar
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using PC (Apple) Keyboard to input MIDI

Enable the virtual keyboard on the transport panel, this is mapped to your standard PC/Mac Keyboard.
Also, see the User Manual pg. 108 for further info.
by BriHar
Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CrashDumps with Cubase 7.5.20

Windows version ???
by BriHar
Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dongle Durability

I've had mine for a number of years with no issues, I'll grant though that they could definitely be made more robust.
Just a thought however; is it possible that you have any solvents in the vicinity (in the same room)? Do you have one of those ionizers operating nearby? These things could possibly attack and make the plastic quite brittle over time.
by BriHar
Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: problem with Cubase and ur28m

My standard startup:
Turn on general power (turns on video monitors etc. incl. all USB Hub PS).
Turn on UR28m.
Turn on monitor speakers.
Turn on PC.
Never had a problem.
by BriHar
Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tune Up Utilities

If your DAW is strictly or primarily a DAW it might have been quicker to reformat, and reinstall windows and your necessary software and drivers from scratch rather than try to uninstall and reinstall. (pref xmls could be saved on a stick for later retrieval)
by BriHar
Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No you can't he means buying 2 licenses ;) Hi Strphoid,

Sorry, you mean I can not buy two dongles and register all my licensors to them ?? Ta.
You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over. - But you probably know this. ;)
by BriHar
Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over.
I'm possibly missing a cynical joke here, but otherwise you'd have to admit that it would be difficult to transfer a license from a lost or broken eLicenser device...

There's another option, though, for those users who still have the "25 hours All Application" demo license that came with certain products:
Keep a spare USB-eLicenser and transfer that demo license to the spare one. In case the eLicenser in use gets lost, the spare USB-eLicenser will provide a 25 hours usage time period while you sort things out...

I understand that one can perhaps not do this completely on one's own (requiring perhaps a support request) , but I have been given to understand that this transfer of licences from dongle to dongle is possible over the' My Steinberg' site.
Am I wrong - or what is meant by ...sort things out...?
Please explain, as I intend to buy Wave lab but put the license on my Cubase dongle, and keep the one received with Wave lab in reserve.
by BriHar
Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes that is it. Be sure to save on an external HDD using USB 2.0. Do not use USB 3.0 for the back up Windows does not recognize 3.0 when doing a restore.
Many modern External Drives are USB 2/3 capable; backup restoration only works over a USB 2 interface - okay, but the actual backup creation could still be made over USB 3 could it not not?
:?:
by BriHar
Mon May 05, 2014 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Product Specifications! ;)
A tech could probably tell from the plug - I know the cable is different cause my USB3 drive in a USB3 port over a USB (2) extention cable prompted a message stating that I would get better performance if I plugged the drive into a USB 3 port - :?
by BriHar
Mon May 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Normal? Changing pregain doesn't affect height in faders

Check to see how your meters are set up (context menu) - probably pre-fader!
by BriHar
Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M - normal to hear input audio with trim down fully?

The "trim" control to which you refer is actually a variable "gain" control. For a particularly hot signal, use the pad control to reduce the input level by 26dB. See the manual Pg. 7-8.
Furthermore, Mix 1 is hardwired to Phones 1, so to decrease the input in the phones, lower the channel 1 fader for mix 1.
by BriHar
Mon May 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can't hear any difference:3 Effect Insert Location Posit

The Rev-X is monitor only! Only the channel strip and amp effects are controlled by the insert position. For recording with Rev-X, a 'plugin' has been included, the built-in DSP reverb cannot (normally) be recorded.
Refer to the block diagrams toward the end of the manual.
by BriHar
Mon May 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M and Cubase Control Room - do they play nice togeth

Can anyone confirm please - I'm not getting a change in levels through the headphones when I punch the hardware UR28M "Mute" button - does anyone else see that?
And similarly - the knob "Output Level" doesn't affect headphone levels?
Thanks!
All the above is normal behaviour. ;)
The mute and volume only affects the monitor outputs, the headphones have their own controls.

Typical scenario:
You're recording an artist in your project studio. You have their cue feeding mix 1 for them to listen on headphone 1. You are perhaps listening to the full mix on mix 2 or 3, and have this routed to Phones 2. You adjust the phones levels independently (for your artist and yourself) and mute the main speakers so they don't bleed into the mic.
by BriHar
Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CWS wrote:And yes you can do the backup using USB 3.0. If you would need to restore make sure it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. WINDOWS 7, not sure about 8, does not recognize USB 3.0 during start up.

AHA! :idea:
by BriHar
Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is next?

sonicstate wrote:... What will next Cubase offer?

Stability, reliability, dependability hopefully, - the rest is just smoke and mirrors!
by BriHar
Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CMC QC

Have you got the latest update version of the firmware?
by BriHar
Fri May 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bad idea or OK? "Dump" GA/Loopmash to save resources ...

The Synths don't require a lot of space, but you should be able to take the Plugin folders and Sample folders (which may use a lot of space) and remove/backup these to an ext. drive, emptying the same folders on your program drive.

In terms of "resources" other than drivespace, I don't think you're really saving all that much - I wouldn't bother
by BriHar
Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is the CMC-PD worth buying?

Can't answer your question regarding BFD2 specifically, but I don't see why it shouldn't; it's all midi. I have used it to trigger a physical E-drum set - not that it was particularly satisfying (as opposed to wailing away with a real set of sticks;) ). It is ideal for triggering samples of anything, and the browsing function is quite comfortable when searching them out.
As an aside however, when not being used as a trigger, it can be used as a panel of 16 programmable commands and/or macros!
by BriHar
Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple outputs and Control Room

Exclusive Assignment of Monitor Channels
Even though the port assignment to the Control Room channels is generally exclusive, it can be useful to create Monitor channels that share device ports with each other as well as inputs and outputs. This can be helpful if you use the same speakers as a stereo pair and also as the left and right channels of a surround speaker configuration, for example. Switching between monitors that share device ports is seamless, multi-channel audio is mixed down to stereo as needed. Only one monitor set can be active at a time.

If your scenario does not require you to assign ports to several Monitor channels, it is recommended to activate the “Exclusive Device Ports for Monitor Channels” option in the Preferences dialog (VST–Control Room page). This way you can make sure that you do not accidentally assign ports to inputs/outputs and Monitor channels at the same time.

- The state of the “Exclusive Device Ports for Monitor Channels” preference is saved together with the Control Room presets. Therefore, if you recall a preset, your current setting in the Preferences dialog might be overwritten.
by BriHar
Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Newbie - having trouble recording right AND left channel

Generally if you're recording a single channel source (you don't mention what you're trying to record!) you'll want to record this to a mono track, which will route to your stereo output buss. If the Pan on the mono track is in centred, it should be heard in both speakers. If this isn't the case then you need to provide more details.
by BriHar
Mon May 26, 2014 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Media Bay - no folders displayed, scanning inactive

The lower leftmost button will let you choose window elements.
by BriHar
Fri May 23, 2014 8:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi out activity heartbeat peaks in transport cubase 7.

Curteye is correct. This is being caused by communication with your CMCs, possibly the UR as well - by previously I would assume you mean before you had these devices. This is a general MIDI activity monitor and it's correctly indicating that there is MIDI activity happening.

Steinberg have confirmed this behaviour and stated it is by design.
So, there is no "problem"; everything is in order. ;)
If it offends or bothers you simply turn the midi monitoring off in the transport panel.
by BriHar
Wed May 28, 2014 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Accidentally disabled interface

It might be simplest for you to simply re-install the UR22 (or perhaps a de-installation followed by a re-installation).

I would check to see if any Steinberg courses are being offered in your area, live instruction is often better.
There are a number of video tutorials available on YouTube - many from Steinberg itself. There are is also a Certified Tutorial available in the Steinberg Shop which I can readily recommend : http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/accessories/steinberg_certified_video_tutorials/swa_complete_cubase_7.html
I'm sure a few people will respond with recommendations for books and other printed guides.

I think it would be advantageous though if you would, in a few words explain or describe why you want to use Cubase? What are your goals or aspirations?
by BriHar
Wed May 28, 2014 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Copying Inserts and Pasting them??

It's easier if you know what you intend to do first. You can just select all the channels, link or Qlink them, then select and setup your insert (or other) effect and it will automatically do the same on all selected channels.

If you've already setup the effect in one channel, then select the other channels using alt click, then using the triangle pull down menu at the top rightmost corner of the mixer, select 'copy first channels settings', then again and this time select 'paste to selected channels'. This will however indeed copy all channels settings.

If as above you've already setup the effect in one channel, but you only want to copy the particular insert effect, then select the other channels using alt click and then link the channels. Select the effect on the second selected channel and it will also appear on all selected channels. now go to the first channel and activate the effects window. Because all channels are linked, if you just do a tiny tweek of each of the controls (turn a knob 1 increment higher or lower then return it to it's previous position) all the specific effects on all the other selected channels will spring to the same settings.

Don't forget to de-link afterwards
by BriHar
Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Method in Template to Print to Audio Track

If you set up External FX and instrument busses (VST connections) I think you can get around this provided you do a real time export.
by BriHar
Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steinberg CMC Six-pack controllers

Glad you got it solved.
I see on several youtube videos that all lights on all knops, pads and buttons on all cmc controllers randomly blink.This is beautiful in the dark, but how does this work, I can not find anything about this in the manual or on the internet.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/download/file.php?id=2452
;)
by BriHar
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: scrolling

Yes this is an options setting in "Preferences" (Transport) = Stationary Cursor.
by BriHar
Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No MIDI Insert tab is available

Check here for a comparison: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... ne_up.html
(In particular download the PDF comparison chart from this page)
by BriHar
Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trouble connecting keyboard

Then you need to be looking at your MIDI port and forget about looking for your keyboard. Set your midi track to the MIDI port your keyboard is plugged into. The rest basically has already been said in earlier posts.
If your still having problems then please state your problem more concisely, including descriptions of what you have already done if applicable.
by BriHar
Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trouble connecting keyboard

I checked out your link, unfortunately (for most of us) a lot of the info is in Japanese so we really need a lot more detail where relevant.
Is it connected to the computer via a USB cable or two MIDI cables ? (from what I can gather it is the latter)
If it is MIDI cables, then what are they plugged into? I assume (from your previous post) that this is some sort of USB MIDI interface (name? model?). Remember your Keyboard MIDI out must go to the MIDI In port and the MIDI Out of the Port (if you're using the Chromatones internal synth) goes to the MIDI In of the Keyboard.

I see it has a headphone output and appears to have built-in speakers, but I can find no mention of a Line Out connection, only an Aux Out. Assuming it can indeed produce it's own tones, and assuming you want to record these, then you will need to dedicate an audio (mono or stereo as appropriate) track for this.

If you wish to control a VSTi, then we really need to know your MIDI setup. As I alluded in my previous post, you need to set the input of your VSTi or midi track to your MIDI interface Port - this is what the DAW sees - not your keyboard directly.
I suggest you first try to get a simple VSTi going, using the CHROMATONE as controller before anything more complicated. (FYI: If you do not intend using the Chromatones internal sound engine, then setting up an "External Instrument" is rather pointless.) Remember to you will need to set the local (echo) on/off setting both on the Instrument and on the track

Have you read the "Setting up MIDI" chapter in the Operation Manual?
The more information, details pictures etc. you provide, the fewer questions need to be asked, and the quicker we can help. Up to now it's all a guessing game and questions. Perhaps give us a detailed step by step account of your procedure.
BTW that is one strange keyboard ! ;)
by BriHar
Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: UR28M: Engineer/Yamaha presets lost? .ssd files?

I'm afraid I never noticed any such files - if everything seems to work after installation, I generally don't go hunting for problems, so I probably never saw any even if they exist.
If I get a chance, I'll have a look later. ;)
by BriHar
Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic