Search found 42 matches

Return

Re: 7.5 Instruments Panel - How Do You Remove Instruments?

Do you mean the VST rack? Then just click on the instrument name, and at the top of the synth list select "no vst instrument".

SLL
by SLL
Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hi, i had the same problem. you click on the name of it then choose 'no instrument' or words to that effect
by Xtigma
Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hah! Yes, of course. The new look was initially disorienting. :oops:

I will say that I am disappointed that the panel cannot be sized L <> R. It's surprisingly big. With each version, I lose horizontal space.
it's too big but the scroll line is so thin I'm constantly hitting the other instrument function buttons.
by soul patch
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Do you want to save the project?"

Just about everyone I think. very annoying. It doesn't quite always do it, sometimes it doesn't if the project has been started on Nuendo.
by ffg
Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Do you want to save the project?"

lol, we're getting closer to Logic here. :lol:
First there is the "re-record" feature in Cubase 7.5, which was there in Logic since 01/01/01 (used to be named C-LAB Notator, back in the Atari days) and now this. After you save a project in Logic, even a single click in an empty space in Logic's arrange window will cause it to ask you if you want to save!

This is admittedly new to Cubase, raising some eyebrows, and it has been discussed previously in this forum. The way I see it, it may not be a bug, but a decision made by Steinberg to remind certain "older users" like yours truly whether they have already saved their project after having left their computers for a certain amount of time. Honestly, I haven't come across this phenomenon yet, but as an old Logic user, I'd personally feel safer with this feature/bug (whatever you wish to call it).

For me this is normal workflow; for you it's just another extra single click. Not a biggie, is it?

Cheers
by ipanema
Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bug? Or Designed by Mephistopheles?

MickGael wrote:Is this an inherent aspect of aero I've yet to see anywhere else? Or is this a bug?

Please say it's a bug.

:shock:

Since this isn't the behavior of any other program (Chrome, Word, Excel, etc.) that I'm running under Areo it can't be an inherent aspect of Areo. So it has gotta be a bug.
by raino
Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There are multiple issues with minimizing now. It is all sorts of convoluted and buggy.
by Greg Houston
Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 8 error win7x64 "opening error" "aero theme" etc.

I'm afraid I have to agree with the Aero haters here: I always use Classic on my studio systems, because Aero makes fonts look crap.

Happy to use a compromise of Aero with some hacks, once somebody figures out how, but plain Aero is a step backwards visually. Slightly regretting my C8 upgrade and will most likely continue with Nuendo 6.5 until this gets sorted out.

Jules
by Trailerman
Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hate aero. Every serious music maker use the classic theme. Please don't force us to use it!
by Judas666
Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With all due respect...

1, Yes, it -is- in the 'Requirements'. In a footer with a ***. Not exactly right up front. This is a -big- change IMO and should be labelled PROMINENTLY.

2, I have zero other apps that require Aero... including Adobe Creative Suite and other video editors. If all those graphics intensive apps don't need it, I fail to see why Cubase does.

3. Finally... I kinda object to the tone of Steinberg responders. A little, 'Sorry you're having trouble... maybe we -can- make the new requirements more clear.' goes a long way. The vibe seems to be kinda defensive..., 'We mentioned it in a prior document on page #93. Deal with it.'
by suntower
Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, I haven't found an acceptable way to minimize (and then restore) Cubase Pro 8 on Windows (7).

Clicking on its main icon (collection of windows) in the task bar doesn't work like with single-window applications, where you can easily toggle between showing and hiding the app.

There is no minimize in the title bar.

Right-click minimize puts it into the corner of the screen, but still leaves some VSTs visible (Like SPAN). Then once you give the background focus it does disappear, but then leaves redraw bugs on the screen that won't go away; the playhead line.

Then when you restore by clicking on the icon in the taskbar it comes back not not all of it. :lol: :roll:

Then, it's a game of "find the hidden window" by trying to see which window didn't restore and needs to be clicked on in the taskbar icon preview thing.

If Minimize All is chosen -- yay! all the windows go away and no redraw bugs -- but now all bets are off, there're chores waiting when you return: opening each of your Cubase windows, one by one.

Pretty maddening.
by Jalcide
Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Widen scroll bars

Any way to do this?

They're so thin now I have to hunt for them.
by soul patch
Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MickGael wrote:^^ 100 times this.

Hehe, thx.

Maybe you should change the title to something like:

"Minimize Bug? Or Designed by Mephistopheles?"

(btw, love that reference. lol)

So that it's more descriptive, but also stands out.

It would have some nice alliteration to it. :)
by Jalcide
Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: re horrible AERO theme

+1

It's bad enough I'm considering running Stardock's Windowblinds to see if it's at all compatible in a way to reskin the window chrome.

If I have any success, I'll report back.
by Jalcide
Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Minimize Bug? Or Designed by Mephistopheles?

If you had asked me before the release of Cubase 8 if it was possible to make windows management in Cubase on the Windows platform even worse, I would have said that it couldn't be done. Well, I was wrong. Steinberg has managed to make the program even more cumbersome, inconsistent, and counter-intuitive (at least in terms of the UI). Well done, Steinberg.
by Gadget Fiend
Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you had asked me before the release of Cubase 8 if it was possible to make windows management in Cubase on the Windows platform even worse, I would have said that it couldn't be done. Well, I was wrong. Steinberg has managed to make the program even more cumbersome, inconsistent, and counter-intuitive (at least in terms of the UI). Well done, Steinberg.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I got a warning from the board Admin for posting something similar... he objected to my use of the term 'bug'... but what else can you call this?

I HATE being a grouch. I bought the upgrade within an hour of the e-mail. I WANT it to be great. And then the rollout is not clean and it FRIGHTENS me. I figure: if they missed something obvious like -this-.... what -else- is going on? I've got the most plain vanilla machine I can get. I don't OC. I don't even use a video card! CONSERVATIVE. And still the rollouts are almost -always- flaky.
by suntower
Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If it were possible to simply dock all those windows together the way you have them laid out then 90% of the problems would be solved and it would look immensely more professional than having a bunch of windows haphazardly arranged together. Still need the minimize button back.
by Greg Houston
Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If it were possible to simply dock all those windows together the way you have them laid out then 90% of the problems would be solved and it would look immensely more professional than having a bunch of windows haphazardly arranged together. Still need the minimize button back.

I know. How could Steinberg not implement a now standard dockable UI when that's what 90% of their users were asking for? This wacky combo title bar/menu thingy is embarrassingly bad design. How it ever got past the company's Head of Product is beyond me.
by Gadget Fiend
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At this point i am more concerned that they (or at least SOMEONE) from steinberg isn't addressing this on the forums yet. there are at least 5 threads of people complaining about this issue.

I emailed support, and the reply i got was some generic cut and paste message from a guy named jeff telling me directions on how to reset cubase to default settings, as if I am the one who messed it up.

This is what we get for paying for your software ?
by mikemandt
Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

By the way it took three days to get that reply. I opened it up expecting some actual help or at least a "we will be releasing a fix soon"

i get a copy and pasted message that doesnt even apply to my situation
by mikemandt
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Opened up a new support ticket and forwarded a lot of this to steinberg including links to threads.

"

Hi guys i have already submitted one support ticket which took three days to get a reply and i got a copy and pasted message telling me to reset the default settings.

This is a serious issue. The new upgrade flat out does not work as advertised and no one seems to be acknowledging the problem. The workspaces are broken, the always on top function is broken, the whole visual interface is malfunctioning. Here are several threads on your own forum with users who have this very same issue. Why is no one responding to this??

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=70326&p=406741#p406741

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=70346&p=407235#p407235

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=69735&p=406722#p406722

^^ thats just the first page.

I am concerned that i spent 100 dollars on this upgrade and would like to know what is being done about this. I'm tired of being told to reset settings or update my PC etc. My PC is working fine and everything else including older versions of cubase run great.

"
by mikemandt
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aero is not the problem - it's the non-standard menu bar

While lots of people are complaining about the need to use the Aero theme on Windows 7, the larger issue is the goofy, and totally non-standard way Steinberg have implemented a global menu bar in the Windows version of Cubase 8 Pro. The problem is that by design and convention, there IS no global menu bar in Windows! That's a Mac and Linux thing. Menus are ALWAYS local to their specific windows on the Windows platform. That's why the OS is called Windows!

In an apparently lame attempt to make the Mac and Windows version of Cubase 8 work similarly, Steinberg have disregarded every Windows UI convention that has been in place since Windows 3. What Steinberg should have done is implement a true docking window management scheme (ala Studio One). Your main monitor would always have the primary workspace with the primary menu bar (that sits below the title bar). Any other window that you open outside the main workspace (either as a "float" or a standard window) could potentially have its own local menu bar that sits under the window's title bar. This is how almost every other Windows program works.

I can't believe that Steinberg didn't/couldn't get this right knowing that this was probably the #1 usability issue they needed to solve on the Windows platform. It's f-ing crazy stupid!
by Gadget Fiend
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aero is not the problem - it's the non-standard menu bar

True words. I didn't care about the aero thing as I used that theme on 7.5, but the toolbar puzzles me.

More annoyances include: the glowing fonts, the doubling of the menus when you maximize the project window, weird glitches when you click on certain menus, two Cubase applications appear in my alt-tab switcher from time to time (until I mouse over it)

if you're going to "rewrite the entire audio engine", why not take some time to make something that's more solid-feeling than a floating toolbar?

I'll be on 7.5 until stuff changes
by MrSmith
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Non-standard menu bar is beyond stupid

It's reminiscent of WL 7... and frankly, I still haven't gotten over it. I dunno why they don't get that (at least for Windows) people LIKE standardisation: IOW I -expect- every Windows program to work pretty much the same way. And when it doesn't, I usually avoid it.
by suntower
Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I really don't mind the new Aero.windows system in C8 one bit, in fact I really like it - a lot! A few teaks to get rid of the transceparency and colours, a few reg tweaks to get rid of the glow shadow text on the menu bar and it's much more pleasing to the the eye (mine anyway) and loosing 2mm space at the top of the mix console on pair of large screen HD monitors is nothing compared to the performance increase and flexibility that's been gained.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Aero.windows system." But what Steinberg have done is disregard every Windows programming convention in the book and have created a Frankenstein mess of a UI. It's absolutely dreadful.

I'm all for breaking the rules when doing so provides an improvement over a dated paradigm. That's progress. But this combined title/menu bar and corresponding confusing window minimize process is a total clusterfvck. From an interface perspective, the Product Managers and UX Designers working on Cubase clearly have no idea what they are doing. No competent Product Management professional would ever make such a decision.
by Gadget Fiend
Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The menu works just the same as any other Windows program I own. None of them have got in the way at any time. Do you mean it should look like Windows Live Mail? (! Yech!)
"No competent Product Management professional would ever make such a decision..." A VERY large accusation for such a small point of criticism. So Cubase is built by monkeys....? For......? Huh!?

Name one other Windows program that combines the window title bar with the menu bar. I'm thinking that you don't even understand what these terms mean. Because if you did, you would realize how uninformed your comments sound.

When a development team completely screws up the core window management system in a program (either out of inexperience or incompetence), that warrants healthy criticism. Of course, the criticism should mostly be directed at the head of the Product organization for hiring inexperienced people and for not catching the exceedingly bad decisions of the incompetent members of the team (and then for not getting rid of these people so as to prevent similar avoidable mistakes).
by Gadget Fiend
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This thing is really awful and messing up my workflow. Sometimes I don't know if project is closed or minimized. Sometimes, mistakingly thinking I accidentally closed the project, I open a new one only to be asked if I should "activate" the project. Meaning the other one was there all the time but hidden.

This is not improvement Steinberg. Not progress. The vst connect, bass amp, track versions are all good and useful things - not this piece of crap. Keeps *quiz* me off, cause I can't work with my customary ease. Please get rid of it, or give us the option to disable it.
by udanax
Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Having the same issues on my end.

:evil:
by mikemandt
Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The windowing system for Cubase on Windows has changed.

Some people don't like it, apparently some people do. Regardless of your opinion on the change, which you are welcome to voice, the assertion that the Dev team is inexperienced or incompetent is incorrect, and insulting to them.

As a long time Cubase user myself I have had occasion to be angry and/or dissappointed that my favorite or long-used feature was removed (or not added), but I try my best to maintain a respectful tone when speaking publicly about it. I think it's a reasonable expectation.

So I'll ask you one more time to tone down the insults, this time publicly.

Steve, while it is understandable that you would feel the need to defend the "honor" of your colleagues on the Dev team, these are the facts of the situation:

Steinberg HAD to improve the way windows are managed in Cubase in order to remain competitive and to address long standing customer complaints and usability issues
Steinberg elected to address this core usability issue in a way that violates every UI principle on the Windows platform and which introduces a host of possibly even more serious usability issues in the process
While there were likely a number of considerations that informed the decision to take this approach (including legacy code constraints, what was believed to be feasible to support moving forward, what could be done in a reasonable amount of time with the current Dev resources and other commitments,) the fact is that Steinberg made an objectively bad decision that will likely haunt them moving forward. Anyone who doesn't understand or appreciate this has no experience with UI design or software development on the Windows platform
When a company makes an objectively wrong decision that no experienced or competent professional would EVER make, then it is fair game to question the experience and competence of that team and/or its leadership. As someone else pointed out, designing user interfaces is not rocket science in 2014. What works and what doesn't is pretty well known at this point.

The fact is that Steinberg completely screwed this up. While there are a lot of other terrific improvements in Cubase 8, these are unfortunately overshadowed by Steinberg's failure to adequately address the number one issue that the company needed to resolve with this release, i.e., the way that windows are managed on the Windows platform.

While we are on the subject of experience, it is worth pointing out a lesson that most companies have learned in the era of social media: You NEVER try to control the conversation, even on your own forum. While it may be painful to hear customers say that your company messed up, trying to control and direct the conversation just makes the company look even worse.
by Gadget Fiend
Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Name one other Windows program that combines the window title bar with the menu bar +1, but it's not even that -- name one other Windows program that has an unmovable, unsizeable title bar nailed to the top of the screen, that, when maximized, fills the screen with a grey background, and then offers no way back.
by MrSoundman
Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: it's a bug?

I requested a refund :evil:
by giangi50
Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Real Estate Management

Or they could just make the column width resizable as you drag the edge with all the content getting smaller the narrower you make it.
by Greg Houston
Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: re horrible AERO theme

I suggest upgrading to W8 and your problems around aero are solved.
by zibelnik
Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi there,

yes, this issue will be fixed on the first maintenance update. It probably won't be 100% perfect yet, but it will behave much better than it does now. We are preparing a quick fix for some of the most urgent issues for you to have ASAP, but the improvements will continue throughout the whole Cubase 8.0 life cycle.

Stay tuned!

Regards
by Luis Dongo
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Couldn't have said it better myself. I got a warning from the board Admin for posting something similar... he objected to my use of the term 'bug'... but what else can you call this?
It's not a bug, it's a feature. :)
Seriously though, Steinberg's made the quirkiest window management and menu bar I've seen, ever.
I like a lot of the new features, like VCA's (a feature I requested years ago), but the window management should never have been released in the state that it's in. If I wanted to be a beta tester I would have applied for it, not paid for it. :)
by Shortstop
Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did notice that the new installer checks if you have the latest installer. Preparing the way for smaller bugfix patches?
by Rommelaar
Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, please FIX that minimize window thing - it's a big pain !!!
by Nonikoff
Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aaaargh!.. still haven't addressed the hover buttons!

+1. I've run out of ways to rant about unintuitive, non-standards-based UIs.
by suntower
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aaaargh!.. still haven't addressed the hover buttons!

JMCecil wrote:
suntower wrote:+1. I've run out of ways to rant about unintuitive, non-standards-based UIs.

Draw circle on wall .. pound head in circle... +100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Actually, you can just hover your forehead over the correct area of the wall...
by enjneer
Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rack instruments Vs. Instrument tracks

Aloha guys,
Just to chime in

IMHO its nice to have the availble options.

{'-'}
by curteye
Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Need Help: Editing Rendered MIDI File

The original MIDI is muted. Change to Mute Tool and tap the greyed-out clips.

You can disable this if you want in Render In Place Setup
by enjneer
Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic