Search found 15 matches

Return

Re: Vocalign Made Easy in Nuendo

I gotta be honest and say that -- while I would LOVE an internal replacement for the very clunky Vocalign -- I do not want any more new things like this from Steinberg at the moment. I personally want them to put ALL their efforts into the actual program/bugs/usability of C7/N6 at the moment. :D
by Headlands
Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5 crashes alot

This is really odd -- it's incredibly stable on my PC and I use almost exclusively 3rd party VSTs and VSTis on really huge sessions -- a LOT, from a lot of different companies. C 7.5 has been mostly perfectly stable for me (no more or less than 7, which was also very stable).

I wonder how we can find out why it's stable for some like me and not at all for others like the OP here?
by Headlands
Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.5 Activation - Server down?

This is making me angry, and I've already activated mine!
by Headlands
Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixdown out of sync with Elastique algorithm

It's truly an immense problem when doing mission critical editing/timing (i.e. with clients in the room -- I now use Pro Tools when I'm doing major timing adjustments with multi-tracked instruments like drums). Pro Tools timing stays perfect and intact during both playback and export, which is exactly how it needs to be. Period. It should not be any other way!
by Headlands
Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 vs Ableton live

I would wait for Bitwig, which is coming out pretty soon. It takes what's great about Live and (from what I've seen so far) mixes it with some of what's great about DAWs like Cubase. It'll be the first version when it comes out, so we'll have to see what it's like for composing. No worse than Ableton, that's for sure. I'm also not sure that it will be as deep as Cubase in some ways. But I'm personally evaluating other DAWs to switch to, and am very interested in it.
by Headlands
Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 vs Ableton live

I was thinking about getting Ableton too, until I saw feature request forum on the official Ableton forum. Reading through it I kept saying to myself "what? it doesn't have THAT ?!". Its just missing so many essential Cubase features there's no way I could ever switch over. I will say the two main features I really want from Ableton Live in Cubase is their macros (stackable quick controls maybe?), and something similar to Live's session view (at least an advanced Arranger Track).

I agree, and won't be switching to Live for those same reasons. That said, the workflow for some things in Live makes Cubase feel like ancient software, which is why I'm looking forward to what Bitwig might offer. The majority of major label songwriters I write with are on Live, and seeing them work I can see why -- it's simply lighting fast to get a song going and arrange/re-arrange/etc., compared to old school DAWs like Pro Tools and Cubase that are long in the tooth and have very fixed/linear ways of working that require a lot more clicking and fiddling in general.

For the final album cut mixing they will usually go into Pro Tools (Cubase for us), since Live is not as fully developed that way for someone who does very deep and complex mixes, though it does have some automation features that are much faster and more efficient than either Pro Tools or Cubase.
by Headlands
Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can someone say if there's a way around the VST RAM issue?

I'm sure some of you have seen me *witch* about the fact that Cubase doesn't seem to dump memory in between projects. To clarify: Let's say I have a large project that uses a lot of RAM/VSTis, etc., and then load up another large project. Even though I have 12 gigs of RAM in my PC, Cubase crashes. I remember a moderator commenting once that it was because of an issue with the VST3 system, which doesn't dump its memory from project to project if Cubase remains open, though I could be remembering wrong. This has been an issue for years now, and it's unacceptable for a pro piece of software to have to close the entire software then reopen it every time I want to load in large projects when I have an existing one open, or when I have closed the the existing project.

I have clients in here sometimes, and they have more than a few times asked me why I need to close Cubase then reopen it when going between large versions of a score, or different songs. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I can change, or something else I can do about this that I'm missing/don't know about?

Thanks for any help.
by Headlands
Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 - and Cubase 7.5 still does not recognize a USB-dev

+1

This is something that should have been fixed years ago, and I fully support this thread.
by Headlands
Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Large projects spike "disk" meter in 7.5 ? (88.2 / 32 )

Silhouette:

Hit the following in order, in Cubase: Device Setup, ASIO (whatever the name of your interface is), Control Panel, then go to the Global page. All of it is done in Cubase, based in one window (the Device Setup window). If your interface has this option, it will be there.
by Headlands
Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Save quantize settings with every project.

Don't know why Cubase doesn't do this, but certain projects have very specific quantization settings with swing, etc., and it makes very much sense to have those settings be saved and then load up with every individual project.
by Headlands
Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1st MIDI notes sometimes don't play in many VSTi's.

MIDI notes, on both instrument tracks and instruments in the rack, often don't play right away on the first note of playback (of parts already recorded). On some instruments they do, and sometimes on the different instances of the same VSTi. It makes composing way too much of a hassle, and is such that I am going back to 7.5 (this only happens for me in 7.5.10).

Even more strange: When I open up any of the MIDI tracks (that are having initial playback problems) in the piano roll editor, they all play back fine, even when they're not soloed.

This happened a little bit in 7.5 with Retrologue and Padshop, but now it's happening with many other VSTi's, including some 3rd party ones. Man, it's a very, very frustrating experience these days with Cubase. The beta-testing shop is broken. :-(
by Headlands
Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Earth calling Steinberg support!!

Unfortunately we don't enjoy the amazing support (both in the official forum and their individual customer support) of DAWs like Reaper. 'Tis a bummer, indeed...but my guess is that they simply don't have enough staff, or enough money for enough staff, or who knows what. :-)
by Headlands
Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Lots of good fixes, and just as stable as before (which is a good thing). Well done, Steinberg. And THANK YOU for a button for "Automation Follows Events". Little things like that help with workflow. We still need less clicks overall, especially in the mixer, but hopefully that will happen in the next update. The eye candy stuff is not to my favor either, but I'm used to the mixer now and simply am hoping for further refinements.

Of course, there are plenty of things still to fix, but this does has a lot of much-needed improvements. I hope that in the next update we will not need to still turn off ASIO Guard for some specific VSTis -- unfortunately that problem is still there, in that the notes don't often play right away with many VSTis that have ASIO Guard on.
by Headlands
Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bitwig - competition is great

Yes, I tried it the day it came out. Fantastic ideas and workflow -- even in the beginning I was zooming around incredibly fast on it, and it's very modern and up-to-date with the way its windows work, and other areas that make for super fast workflow. However, it's still in its beginning stages and is not ready for prime time yet, as far as I'm concerned. There are some bugs (naturally) and some features (such as multi-output for non-Bitwig VSTi's and support for VST 3) are not in there yet. They will be, just not yet. But in many ways it's "new world" thinking, and it's super fast and smooth, though not as deep as Cubase in some ways (such as complicated mixes, and some more). I do think that Cubase could borrow a lot of the forward-thinking features in it, though, without a doubt.
by Headlands
Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

The funny part is that the interface wastes more space, and provides FAR less information. I don't loath the "look". I loath the functionality. I want to look at the mixer and see the information.

YES. You nailed it. Way too much clicking and fussing about to see all the things you could at the same time on the previous version's mix window. Clicking all of the time is not "pro" in any way, shape or form, especially since it doesn't need to be that way. It looks fine -- it's just not designed well in that way right now.

And - for the record - people like Tp3 are not trolls. They have an opinion. Someone is not a hater or troll if they simply disagree with your opinion. Period.
by Headlands
Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic