Search found 29 matches

Return

Re: MCU Functions Expanded in 7.5

If anyone wishes to go back to the old behavior (pre 7.5) it's very easy to do so with just a few mouse clicks.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubase-7-nuendo-6/890560-cubase-7-5-using-icon-qcon.html

Look at post #2.
This thread is for the Qcon, but the OP here HughH, has confirmed the Mackie goes back to the old state as well.
by greggybud
Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.0.7 late update

was doing the minimum to fix heavy bugs in there product my post was attacked by admins and hidden admins then locked... and this one will certainly be too.
but how come we can't complain on something that is absolutly insulting to people who paid for and are trying to work seriously with a tool that barely works ?

There is plenty of complaining & praise here:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubase-7-nuendo-6/ with little worries of being banned with no warnings, vanishing or locked threads.
by greggybud
Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.1 why steinberg didnt fix the mute bug.

Buchanan aka "cat monster" doesn't actually use the program, thus can be ignored.

Or you COULD read the manual: p192 (also pps107 127 165 187) reads: Preferences: "Group Channels mute sources as well." Which means that with this option unticked the sources will STILL SOUND leading some to think that mute does not work on groups.

Better than telling porkies about me any day. :mrgreen:

Where in this thread does the OP or anyone else discuss Group Channels?

The OP to my knowledge is discussing how mute works with Instrument Tracks.
by greggybud
Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

on a PC, Control+Tab will cycle focus to the next open window. So if you only have the Mixer and the Project widow open, this will toggle the focus.
on Mac I think it is Command+Tab.
you could program a macro so it is only one keystroke, no mouse needed.

Yes it will. The only other tool to get around is a Key Command to make the focus go back to the project page.

Unfortunately I think Control+Tab is a Windows shortcut? Therefore you won't find this listed as a Key Command in Cubase. That's no problem of course...until you use a controller where you are attempting to assign a Key Command to an assignable function button on your controller.
by greggybud
Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have a custom button my MC that I have named "toggle" that is programmed with Control+Tab, that cycles focus through all open windows.

I don't understand this. How do you have an assignable button that you nave named "toggle" on your MC to cycle focus through all open windows? Alt+tab is not listed under Cubase key commands therefore to my knowledge it's not possible to assign it to your MC.

What am I missing here? (I don't use a MC, but I think the Icon uses MC protocol.)
by greggybud
Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

johngar wrote:MC as in Artist MC Control.

Got it! I was thinking Mackie Control.
by greggybud
Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5.20

Yeah the issues that get fixed I haven't noticed them. But will it fix the plugins disappearing behind the mixer problem? This issue I have noticed a few hundred times. :twisted:
not wanting to downplay this special issue, should have been fixed a decade ago for sure, but are you aware your problem will be completely gone if you set things up the time honoured Cubase way :
Main window stretched (not maximised !) across all screens, plugins set AOT, however not the mixer !
Ok, no full screen mixer then, so what?
Give me reliable functionality over visual elegance, any day.
ymmv,
Rhino

No, that doesn't work for those of us on two screens or more! Most pro studios have two screens or even three.

It does work. (Windows XP or 7) I'm on Windows 7 64 bit Cubase 64 bit.

If you need help, there are several here who would help you. I use 4 screens (I must be really pro :lol: ) and in the past have used them just like Rhino describes. Now I have switched so 2 screens are on "full mixer" mode and the Cubase "shell" is stretched over the other 2 screens. Link the mixers and the project page. Of the other 2 screens one is dedicated to the project and the other is split in half. The lower half is Mixer 3 that contains In's Out's Groups' effect channels, and master out. The upper half I keep "blank" for opening and closing VST's VSTI's and editing midi/audio. The main thing is...it works for the way I work...up to the point where IMO the glaring issues are key commands, focus, and navigation issues, most of them in the mix console....the WORKFLOW things!

I suggest anyone new to multiple screens try them out like Rhino has described in prior posts at gearslutz, and then deviate from there if needed. Remember the options of AOT! Obviously everyone works differently, but based on the many complaints about this topic over the years, I have discovered what he does is not perfect, but often the most effective.

Actually I have noticed most commercial studios including some very well known ME's using Wavelab keep things down to 1 screen.

Anyway if you need assistance, give is your specific issue. I have been using multiple screens with Cubase for at least the past 14 years and unless you have some specific problem this is not rocket science.
by greggybud
Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Always on top still dont work for plugins in second monitor.
It works. I have been stretching Cubase over all 4 monitors since the days of CubaseSX with an expensive video card. Oh well ...
Yep, it works.
It works great, if You have projects with 2 or 3 tracks.
Or if You use 50" 4k TVs as displays.
And if you prefer 'less information' and 'more empty space'.
( Then the current Info Line and the new mixer is for you, too )

For normal daily work this workaround is worse than 'quadruple' clicking
or moving the plugin GUIs to the main screen.

Jan

I'm not sure I understand. Why is stretching the Cubase window, or what I call the "shell" over 4 monitors okay with projects with 2 or 3 tracks, but not 100 tracks? I have 4 21 inch monitors. In my set up 2 monitors have the mix console in full screen so really I only stretch Cubase over the other 2 monitors.

For the past 15 months the biggest roadblock for me has been lack of key commands to set focus on full screen mix consoles. Using KC's on a keyboard, plus my Icon mix console, I don't have to mess with the mouse much.
by greggybud
Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How are you working? Do you mean plug-ins being hidden behind the full screen mix console? Or is your mix console simply maximized? Is your mixer set to AOT? I'm assuming your plugins are set to AOT.

See why with Steinberg giving the user so many options this gets confusing quickly?

AOT will work for plugins in any monitor as long as you keep everything in the Cubase "shell" and you have stretched that "shell" over all your monitors.
1. Don't have AOT turned on for mixers1-3. (you can tell the difference because the mixer corners are slightly sharper with AOT turned on)
2. Don't use mixers 1-3 in full screen mode.
3. Don't windows maximize the mixer

It works. I have been stretching Cubase over all 4 monitors since the days of CubaseSX with an expensive video card.
by greggybud
Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How are you working? Do you mean plug-ins being hidden behind the full screen mix console? Or is your mix console simply maximized? Is your mixer set to AOT? I'm assuming your plugins are set to AOT.

See why with Steinberg giving the user so many options this gets confusing quickly?

AOT will work for plugins in any monitor as long as you keep everything in the Cubase "shell" and you have stretched that "shell" over all your monitors.
1. Don't have AOT turned on for mixers1-3. (you can tell the difference because the mixer corners are slightly sharper with AOT turned on)
2. Don't use mixers 1-3 in full screen mode.
3. Don't windows maximize the mixer

It works. I have been stretching Cubase over all 4 monitors since the days of CubaseSX with an expensive video card.

Does not work when it is included in the example Full Screen Monitor 2. It would be good if it worked. Looks nicer.

Yes, and I believe they know about it.
Plug-ins vanish behind the full screen mix console regardless of how many monitors you have. The only solution I know of is don't work with mix console at full screen. Instead just make the mix console as large as you can (without windows maximizing) and turn off AOT for the mix console. It won't look quite as nice and as Da da said you will lose a track of screen space.

The other way is to use a key command to turn on/off the full screen mix console so you can see the plug-in that is being hidden by the full screen mix console.
by greggybud
Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

I've been using Steinberg software since the mid 80's, and my experience with them tells me things will be ironed out.

Regarding " fixings ", I meant of course new features.

Sorry I don't have quite enough Cubase experience since you started in the mid 80s. I started in 1997. My experience with them tells me most will be ironed out....not all...by a long shot!

I will gladly provide you a list of things they have never ever fixed. Yes, they are usually small things you learn to live with, however some seem so innocently simple to fix yet Steinberg ignores them and continues to add new features.

So truthfully, wouldn't you say something like 80% of the things "will be ironed out?" This is my experience at least and obviously depends on what level you use Cubase.

I should add that I'm not referring to strictly bugs. I mean things that are broken, bugs, and obvious issues never corrected. Some of them can be as "small" as key commands. However key commands can be huge to users who attempt to take advantage of fast workflow.

So to start....
Why can you open the History page with a key command...but not close it with any key command? The history window is such a god-send! Yet it requires a mouse to close it. Something so seemingly simple to fix...yet to my knowledge never acknowledged by Steinberg. But don't worry....there will be another Loop Mash improvement in the next update. :mrgreen:
by greggybud
Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

forthwith wrote:Loopmash is a plugin, not a feature.

That's the best reply from the self proclaimed "DAW expert?"
BTW...I'm still wondering how people qualify to be up to that esteemed status? You never replied.
by greggybud
Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So truthfully, wouldn't you say something like 80% of the things "will be ironed out?" This is my experience at least and obviously depends on what level you use Cubase.
I don't use 100% of Cubase. Some things I rarely use. The things I do use however, works great. Sure there are some things I wish worked differently at times, but hey, there are bigger things in life worth fighting for. Grinding about a mouse click that would saved some time, seem to negate the benefit.

So truthfully, things will work out. Maybe not the way some would want it to work, but close enough. If you cannot live with that, based on my experience, you need to move on, go elsewhere, change, adapt, whatever. Life is just too short, and these kind of worries will just bring the end a little closer. It's already too close for my taste! ;)

In that perspective I agree with you. But the above also depends on your frequency of use, especially if you earn money using Cubase. Better workflow...less waste...more money. I have always said compared to the competition Cubase is the best. If it were not, why would I be here?

A great DAW can bring out great passion with users. And that is the problem...even though Cubase is the best for myself, I see so many areas of improvement...most of them are workflow and fixing already implemented features.

Many issues appear to be so simple to fix! Since there is a key command to open the history window, how hard would it be to create a key command, or use the same one to close it? While there is a micro for Bounce In Place, how difficult would that be for Steinberg? Would a little mono button be THAT difficult to implement? Is fixing key command mixer focus issues all that difficult?

So close....yet so far....
by greggybud
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Many issues appear to be so simple to fix! Since there is a key command to open the history window, how hard would it be to create a key command, or use the same one to close it?....

if it was as simple as you infer, don't you think it would have been addressed already?

I don't know. I would think if they created a KC to open, they could just as easy create a KC to close...or use the same KC a second time to close. I'm not a programmer.

Do you assume it's complex or impossible to fix and it has been addressed already?

If it's only possible to open, but not close with a KC, wouldn't some type of communication from Steinberg be in order? I sent a request to support for this specific problem, but he never heard back from Germany. In the past other requests have usually resulted in fixed issues in the next update. Even if it's not possible, a reply from Germany via my tech support guy would be nice.

I do know there have been key commands in the past that Steinberg simply left out from prior versions, and when brought to their attention, the KC was added. For example "reset meters" was left out with 7.0. And there have also been KC's suggested by users which they implemented. Based on prior releases such as 7.0, I don't think KC's are a very big priority.
by greggybud
Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some improvements just make sense, others are often very subjective.

Well, from the examples I chose..

1. Key command to close History window since there is one to open it.
2. Bounce In Place
3. Mono/stereo switch on each track
4. Key command mixer focus

I have never thought of these as subjective, or issues some users would object to. I think of the above as features that either would improve Cubase for the majority of users, and features found in other DAW's but not in Cubase...yet.

If it were "close enough" you might as well close up shop and call it a day. But I'm hoping instead they implement ideas suggested by users and fix the things that need fixing.

Here's another brilliant suggestion that IMO adds much consistency to Cubase.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=52617
Is implementing this a subjective tool? (Assuming it doesn't screw something else up.)
by greggybud
Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If it were "close enough" you might as well close up shop and call it a day. But I'm hoping instead they implement ideas suggested by users and fix the things that need fixing.
Naturally I meant close enough as in being perfectly usable. Not that Cubase has reached nirvana.

Features and fixes are always welcome, and they will certainly arrive.

Yes! Of course my wish is they focus more on the fixes. :D

Back to Freddies +1 and reply...

I have to say congratulations to Steinberg for what I think is the most comprehensive feature packed production environment. Lately I have been reading about several issues, and so many missing features with Logic and Pro Tools. Gibson bought Sonar so good luck there. Studio1 leaves out way too much. Digital Performer might be the only DAW feature wise close to Cubase?

Forthwith/Henceforth...I will have to follow up....again asking for a reply.

Merry Christmas!
by greggybud
Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No thanks. Having software look like the actual hardware for the sake of, well, looking like actual hardware can actually be counter-productive.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of those who prefer software looking like actual hardware vs. the opposite.

I would guess those who grew up on real mix consoles would prefer the ones that look like hardware, and those who grew up on a DAW or not using a real mix console would prefer Steinbergs mix console. (Even though it could be said that is a compromise between the two.)

In the future, I think you can see which way this is going to go.
by greggybud
Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How do you use dual monitors and Cubase?

I use 4 21 inch monitors set as close as possible to each other.

(From left to right starting with monitor 4)

4. Mix Console 1 in full screen mode
3. Mix Console 2 in full screen mode
2. Arrange page monitor
1. Mix Console 1 (not full screen) in lower half. (This contains only inputs, groups, effects, and master out channels)
Upper half is blank. Its saved for editor channel, and is also where key, drum, or half-key half drum edit windows pop up using workspaces. Yes, you can have key and drum editors open in the same monitor. Key on top, drum on the bottom. It works well when working with bass and drum issues at the same time.

Mix Console 1 is also where VST's pop up, any media bay, and history window.

All monitors are a bit lower and tipped slightly up. When seated my eye level is horizontally about 8 inches above the top of the video monitor. Also...I'm a musician so my keyboard controller is in front of me...not an outboard mix console. My 32/64 channel outboard mix console sits to the left of me. My Qcon Icon to the right with qwerty keyboard directly in front of the Icon. I don't use pre-configured work stations as most would never come close to workable for myself.

The biggest problem is Steinbergs bug. Mix consoles in full screen mode won't allow any VST's or anything on top of them once you click on the mix console....it goes hidden.

The 2nd biggest issue for Steinberg is there is no focus on these mix consoles for key commands. This greatly hinders workflow making things a "click-fest" compared to C6.5. Key commands seem to be an afterthought with Steinberg. They didn't even have any for the mix console when it was first released! I use key commands as much as possible assuming it's faster than a mouse.

Sermon time: I don't think some users really understand the full power of KC's Macros, logical editor and how they can integrate together. Here is an inspiring video for key commands even though the guy is using a very old sequencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97OEos91yVM

The Mackie HR824's are set about 1 foot behind and just above the video monitors, about 4 feet apart forming the nice sweet spot triangle. When people see my project studio some believe having the Mackies set behind the video monitors by 1 foot compromises the audio. IMO everything is a compromise. I'm using Cubase to produce and compose...not master. I have a 2nd monitor system for reference but rarely use it. I'll take my masters to a room sonically engineered for mastering who really knows his environment. So for me, that compromise is one I can live with...and I have for years. Learn your monitors well.

In Wavelab8 I'm also using video 4 monitors. Once you get 4 monitors for either Cubase or Wavelab, I doubt you will go back. :D
by greggybud
Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any WaveLab 8 book out yet?

WL7 needed something because there wasn't even an decent pdf. As a matter of fact, the absence of a decent manual was the #1 reason for hating WL7. Maybe thats why a 3rd party finally jumped at the opportunity?

WL8 has a great pdf. Do you think a 3rd party could improve it? I think the pdf is pretty comprehensive.

I too would like a WL8 book and would pay extra for it. But these days I think I'm in the minority. Besides rabid environmentalists will always explain to me why I don't need a physical manual.
by greggybud
Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update install problem

I have almost the identical problem. Not only Cubase 7.5 64bit but also Groove Agent.

I'm going to take a wild guess: Have you in the past moved any Steinberg content such as Groove Agent SE, Hallion, LoopMash etc?

I moved Groove Agent samples and Hallion Samples from my C drive to my E drive. I did this because I have 9 gig of Steinberg content (Hallion, Groove Agent, Loop Mash etc) that was taking up precious C drive space when it should be on my E drive...sample drive. Perhaps a .msi file wasn't moved?

Someday I would like to do a fresh Cubase install including Hallion, LoopMash, Groove Agent etc but in the past it seems the installer does not allow me to choose where to place them. It automatically puts everything in your C drive. This would have been appropriate 20 years ago, but these days it would be nice to have a choice.

So recently I have manually moved content and everything has been working....until today when trying to install this update.

So to fix this I downloaded the Cubase 7.5 complete installer, and did a reinstall. Now all the Cubase content is back on my C drive. :evil:

If anyone could give me specific instructions how to safely move all the content to my E drive and hopefully next time an update comes everything installs correctly, I would very much appreciate that.

I tried that Microsoft tool too and it didn't detect any problems.
by greggybud
Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update install problem

The best way to install your content in the E: drive is installing it there during the main installation.
When you install, registry entries pointing to each part of the installation are created, so if you install it in the desired location since the beginning, the registry entries will be correct and any future update will look for the content to be updated in the correct place.

Thanks for the reply.

This is the problem..."since the beginning" was a very long time ago.

I agree the best way to install the content in the E drive is installing it there during the main installation, but the installer is NOT giving me any options to do that. I'm assuming this is because in the past the content was installed in the C drive. So I'm assuming this is a registry issue, and if I knew how to delete whatever I need to delete in the registry, then attempt to do a full install the Cubase installer would give me the options to install the content in whatever drive I wish?

Even if I do a "complete" uninstall from the Windows 7 control panel, is that good enough so when I re-install I will then get options to select my hard drive for Cubase content?

if not, could anyone give me step-by-step directions how to go into the registry and do the deed? It would be nice to have this finally resolved.
by greggybud
Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5.30

Does any one else receive this error? I downloaded it twice to be sure, it installs GASE4 update but not Cubase 7.5.20 -> 7.5.30

Cubase 7.5.30 64bit Update

An installation paackage for the product Steinberg Cubase 7.5 64bit cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'Cubase75_64bit.msi'.

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=63900
by greggybud
Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is anybody here from the good old days? (yrs2000-2005)

Yes along with the excellent info there were a lot of laughs on this forum.

I miss the laughs.

Am I the only one who remembers PhilExpert? :lol: This person had multiple posts every day (most of it very poor advice) and after months finally admitted on line he had a psychological problem with posting so much and then vanished.

I guess some like Bas and Woodlock just lost interest...in music production that is. Others were banned but still post at Gearslutz, even though Steinberg representatives have offered them redemption to come back.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubase-7-nuendo-6/867160-steinberg-forum-refugee.html

It seems to me Steinberg strategy is to quickly move potentially embarrassing/controversial posts to this forum...the Steinberg Lounge where there is much lower viewing, therefore leaving the General forum very quiet. It's sort of like going to the clinic. If the doctor(s) can't give the right healing prescription, you get sent here in the psychological ward.

I get the feeling many users have re-invented themselves with a new name and perhaps attitude? It's interesting to note a few fanboys who posted daily, and racked up a few hundred posts within just a few months, have vanished overnight. :mrgreen:
by greggybud
Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2000-2005 was the wild west days of the internet. Cubase cracks n warez, a guaranteed spicy forum sometimes out of control, and not a day went by when someone didn't ask where that damn button is to convert midi to audio. Oh, and how to make a Van Halen Jump patch too.

We pleaded and begged Steinberg to give us multiple undos. They did just that with CubaseSX, but we lost the fabulous Cubase-Wavelab integration because of it.

We laughed at Steinbergs Neon because there was Reaktor had just been released.

Waves ruled...if you could afford the Native Power Pack. Otherwise use Freeverb and suffer through the basic bad Steinberg effects, although Free Filter was intriguing.
by greggybud
Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Early21 wrote: I remember Hippo (guy was enormously knowledgeable),

He still exists. :o

But according to the statistics more active in the C6 forum.

I don't think he cares much for C7, at least based on a lot of his comments. I don't blame him either.
by greggybud
Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Iro: Track Color Pack for Cubase

I'm confused.... is this supposed to be impressive??... I'm still on Cubase 6 and you have complete control over selecting and adding new colors. You can select from any RGB value you see fit.

Or did they take that functionality away in 7 or 7.5???

No functionality has been removed, yes I think it's very impressive and you might be confused.

Have you spent the time trying or accomplishing what Seyoum did?

Have you spent the time trying or accomplishing what Tyrcian did?

When you do this, get back to me with something better, and you will be one of the most "thanked" people in the Cubase forum.
by greggybud
Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pastel Track Colours

Hopefully if we just be a bit more patient, Tyrcian can make this a bit easier. It's sad Steinberg doesn't see the potential here and pick up where both Tyrcian and Seyoum left off.

This is stuff every day users can appreciate.
by greggybud
Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shortcut for " Edit Instrument Channel Settings"

GargoyleStudio wrote:+1. I'd be very happy with e, Shift-e, Alt-e etc. key commands to open the various things.

Mike.

Absolutely! This would be a workflow improvement. I too sometimes open the midi channel settings by mistake when I really want the audio channel settings.
by greggybud
Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mastering In Cubase

I'll bite since I used to some mastering for clients who actually paid their bills.

First off, there really are no "best" mastering plug-ins and no "best" mastering hardware. For example I'll probably choose a Weiss over a Behringer for EQ but if my sonic objective is something that a Behringer quickly delivers why not use the Behringer?

You want to know what is good? Go visit mastering studios or look at their gear lists. Check out Gateway Mastering. One of my favorites is Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundmans. Keep in mind a lot of the gear at Bernies has been altered...actually most of it.

Check out the gear, but more importantly learn how and why it is used. I sat in on a mastering session years ago with a guy who is now a very well known name. He had most anything at his disposal for high end gear. For this particular track(s) even though he had 2 very nice hardware limiters, he chose an L-2! He looked at me, grinned and said for these tracks he thought it would sound best! He also made me promise to never divulge his name. :D

When it comes to the topic of mastering I'm continually amazed at the focus on gear instead of procedure. A sonically engineered room with high quality LEARNED speakers and user experience is so much more important than gear. Gear is a tool. You use it day in and day out and eventually you become intimate with that tool knowing exactly how it will process any given audio to achieve a desired outcome. You know the limits of every parameter on your tool and you know when to select that particular tool. Most ME's I know of stick with what works for them. They aren't continually A/Bing the best new gear...even if in fact it might be "better." For example this is why I still often use an L-2. I know what it can and can't do depending on the given audio. If you read the forums, the L-2 is old, outdated, and distorts like crazy. But those comments IMO really manifest user inexperience. Experience has shown me that you can't get much more out of an L-2 than 2-3dbRMS without distortion. But that's okay because most experienced ME's I know of get the majority volume before any signal even hits the L-2 . Some of the ways is through EQ, Mid/side processing, parallel sometimes even series compression, soft clipping, and proper gain staging. Know how and when to use these procedures, then feed your limiter for a little bit more. Your limiter will most likely reward you greatly if it's fed something good.

Most professional pop/rock mixes arrive relatively hot. I hate to use numbers because content varies so much, but just guessing -13dbRMS to -11dbRMS. This volume has been established before mastering. Most of the completed pop I did was in the -10dbRMS to -7dbRMS range depending on the content.

What you don't do is slap on any limiter at the end of the chain, crank it, and then complain how it sucks compared to your new favorite limiter of the month. These days there are so many fantastic new tools...even free ones like Limiter No. 6 that I think it's a waste to focus so much time on the tool instead of the process. It's an area of diminishing returns for your dollar when mastering procedure is so much more important. Also, at what point does audio that is claimed to be "better" become just audio of another "flavor"...not worse or better...just different? I have seen blind tests where audiophiles are outright funny spouting endless sound adjectives. I usually offer them more wine. ;)

Personally I like Wavelab, but since WL7 be ready for an education as it can take some time to learn. Wavelab is deep, but IMO the most flexible and powerful mastering application around. Use Sadie if you don't need what Wavelab offers. Can you master in Cubase? You can "master" in most any DAW. But what will you do for DDP, RedBook PQ codes compiling, error checking, analysis, and/or burning? What will you do when your client is sitting behind you and insists A is better than B when in fact they are biased by comparing a slightly louder track? This is why I use Wavelab.

What do I use ITB? Select tools from UAD, Waves, and a few others. I mastered an album a few years ago from Bruce Swedien. It needed...hardly anything. :D All I did was some dB's, very slight imaging and then the regular things for any CD. Every project is different. To believe there is some silver bullet limiter/compressor/EQ/multiband whatever that surpasses all others is futile and IMO often foolish. Choose one or a couple...and LEARN them.

You can also go to mastering forums and read a gazillion opinions about the best mastering tools. Unfortunately just over the past 5 years many well known ME's including Bob Katz have given up offering advice for very good reasons. :mrgreen:
by greggybud
Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic