Search found 69 matches

Return

Re: using full Cubase7, can I "save as" into C.Artist7 forma

I regularly share projects with two people who use Artist, we don't have any problems opening each other's files. I stick to the basic Steinberg plugins or render anything down that is special. It all works very well.

[Pity the iPad version isn't compatible too!]

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple Midi devices (UM3EX + Raydat midi)

Only prob I've had with different midi devices is their performance. For example I found that when I plugged in a firewire M-Audio Profire it introduced a really long delay in chasing midi program changes, whereas my Midex8 seemed to have no delay but didn't always chase correctly... So you may find some interfaces are better than others, but otherwise, as said, they all cooperate together. I currently use 3 different midi interfaces to connect to hardware synths plus 2 USB midi external hardware synths and 1 USB midi keyboard controller.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Collaborating with others on different versions

I collaborate with 3 other people on many projects, two of them use Artist and the other uses an iPad. That latter can only open projects and has to export new recordings as WAV to us, so we'll ignore that one straight off! But the other two are 100% compatible with my full version provided I don't use any feature they haven't got, which isn't really that much at all, mostly a few plugins. So it works well for us, and we've never had any problems at all. I believe they started with Elements but upgraded to get the Lanes feature for multiple takes and comping.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to get 100% synced project?

You've got the right method there. Most of the time I use Auto-Crossfades because it saves me creating the crossfades!

Another tip you could use is to 'slip' the audio within the part using Ctrl-Alt-Click, and this can be used to make the crossfade work better. A very very small slip can fix an out of phase obvious crossfade without harming the timing (particularly useful with bass).

But I'd have thought that if you were to record 5 takes and pick the bits which are best in time from each one then you'd get a perfect take very quickly...

Also you can always replace out of time bits or dodgy bits with bits from other parts of the performance. This type of replacement is a staple when tidying up live performances because you don't need to get the musician back!

Finally, you'll be surprised what can be hidden in a mix. For example, if you're struggling with a cross fade but it's on the beat of a snare it's quite unlikely you'll hear it in the final mix. Or take that a stage further and actually use another instrument to cover up the problem area! Been there, done that...

Oh, finally again, yes, even though I have the latest Cubase version and I work with excellent musicians, I spend hours tidying up takes towards perfection, and it pays dividends. Sometimes people ask me to listen to their CDs before release and my usual comment is that it's not bad but it needs tidying up, vocals and solos tuning, pops removed, timing tightened, bum notes fixed, etc. So for me, it's a way of life that I picked up working with a top mixing person - to tidy things to a great degree, I think it's worth it. Also your average listener doesn't always know why a song sounds better or worse but chances are if it's off tune or out of time then they'll know that it's not so good. Things just come into focus when you address all the details.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fine tuning

Before vari-audio (and Melodyne) I used to use the info line to retune vocals. Worked absolutely fine, but of course it was really slow to use! I'd put an autotune insert on the track as well but with slow response time. This then did a more precise job than I could be bothered to do using the info line, so it speeded up the process. As a final step, I'd export the track so I had it rendered with the autotune and if any bits exhibited odd autotune artefacts (like stepped glissandi when it should be smooth) then I just comped a bit of the raw tracks back in. In fact I still do this sort of comping thing today but using vari-audio instead of the info line!

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: unlinking linked midi track clips

Yeah, subscribe, that's another way I think. I sometimes press it when I'm not making a reply but I just want to watch the thread out of interest. Well, maybe your notifications are being spam blocked somehow? Check your junk folder perhaps?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: remove event snap point ?

I created a quick macro (and shortcut key) which moves the snap point to the start of the selected clip. It moves the play cursor to the left of the selection then moves the snap point to the play position. Saves opening the clip and dragging. Might help.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 CRASH when reopening

Mine does this, and in my case it's directly due to my old favourite 32 bit plugins which are running in VSTBridge. Cubase just stops when it tries to unload them, i.e. locks up when closing down, or when de-activating the project to activate another one. I have to kill the VSTBridge process to free up the main Cubase process. However I'm on Win7, could be entirely different on OSX...

If you think that's what's happening to you then remove some plugins from your system and see if it sorts it, then add them back and see if it breaks it again.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 CRASH when reopening

Mebby you could try the demo of JBridge, I'm sure its now available on mac too....

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: control lane program change

The best way to do program/bank changes is to record them from your keyboard to a small midi part and then sprinkle them about your project. You can also use the Inspector to set a prog/bank number then turn this into a midi part, I think this is something like 'merge in loop'. I suggest these methods because that way you don't have to fight with the controller lane to set the individual values, nor have to use the list editor, nor have to type in annoying numbers etc. Does this help with what you're trying to do?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Automation "delay"

For rendering, that depends on what you're doing....

If you're say applying a *static* effect (e.g. band pass) then I'd first set it up in an insert plugin to test the effect, save a preset then use offline processing to apply that preset.

If you're moving automation like a filter sweep then you'd have to either export just this track using the L/R locators, and tick re-import to pool + new track. Or, record the effect to another track (more complicated, usually easier to export and re-import!).

Don't forget that if you're exporting the track then you probably need to zero the fader and turn off any other insert effects that you don't want to render (which is a pita but you can always use the notepad to jot down the fader level and other bits of info...).

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: One dimensional vocal - lost its mojo

One trick on vocals is to use 2 compressors in series. First a heavy soft knee compressor, driven reasonably hard so that the vocal is evened out (compression operating most of the time). Then a lively compressor hard knee after that, with a slowish attack and fast release so it lets through transients (compressing only on the peaks say). This gives back some attack and dynamic but in a controlled fashion.

Other than that, if it's not standing out in the mix then it's probably frequencies. It could be that there's another instrument that's in the way, likely to be guitar. Take out some instruments to see how this effects the vocals.

Finally, it's a tried and trusted practice automate vocal levels during the song, to bring out various words or to dip consonants. Also automation of the other instruments too to keep them away from the vocals. This is what a compressor does but often they can't do it so precisely.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: question about the tempo in Cubase 7 (always quarter not

Interesting... The problem really is that the units of BPM isn't the whole story, for example, when it turns up at the top of sheet music it usually has the note value that it applies to, e.g. crotchet = 120bpm. This is what I'd call 'the full' specification of the BPM, i.e. to include the note type/length.

But in any case, the metronome is well overdue for an overhaul, and really hope that Steinberg put this sort of thing in. We need to be able to define the note length of the BPM tick, and particularly we need to be able to specify compound time correctly, e.g. 9/8 with a beat tick of a dotted crotchet. And 12/8 is a nightmare in score because its grouped into 3x4 instead of 4x3... But that's another story!

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C7.0.6 mono to stereo plugin

For me it depends on what effect you're using or needing...

If it's specific for only the one track then use it as an insert, and in this case you need to create a new stereo track and copy the mono track to the stereo track (I think that's what you need because the track type e.g. stereo/mono/5.1 is fixed when you create the track...).

Or if you're using an ambient reverb type then you'd be better off with a send, and then you may well use it for other instruments, which'll help the track gel together too.

In terms of processing power, it makes no different using insert or send, but the point of sends is that you can route more than one track to the same effect, that can't be done using inserts of course because you'll use up your processing power by adding too many effects.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI Track Pitch Bend

Ah, a big +1000 for this one please. It's time that certain midi events became more 'intelligent' and Pitch Bend is the biggest necessity here. Also it needs to have an automation lane too.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: multiple suggestions

SNAP EVENT - yes, this is annoying if you have e.g. a comped vocal in the project! I like Premiere Pro's method of this, they indicate with little arrows on the crosshairs which part is being snapped to, so if two parts are really close then you can see which it is. Works very intuitively.

primary/secondary time format - why aren't these just both the same size, why do I need one smaller and dimmer, I can't see any reason to have both the same, and neither dim nor small, therefore easy to read. Same goes for all the other things that are grey-on-black!!

+1 Pool window : right clic on a sound should allow option "reveal in browser"

AUTOMATION - yep, needs to adjust all tracks if more than one selected!!

EVENT SNAP POINT - I've got a key command to set the snap point to the current play cursor position. I select the event, click L (to move to the start of the event) and click Ctrl-K (adjust snap point). I could make a macro for this but I haven't yet...

Just some of those things above I would like to see next.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: midi control nightmare! please help :(

I had a problem a while back where some controls in my VSTi's were by default (presumably decided by the manufacturer) set to receive CCs that Cubase was chasing (midi chasing). This cause sounds to change as I relocated the play cursor around the song! The only way I could find to disable this was to set the control to receive a different CC number which I knew wasn't going to be sent at all. I did this IIRC by editing the preferences of the VSTi. However, there wasn't a way to turn it off, or to change the default that I found :(

Going at it the other way you could place a transformer on the midi input and change the CCs to other numbers which aren't commonly used, then selectively change the VSTi's or the input filtering. Or filter them out entirely...

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri May 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Track Lanes On Mute - CAN'T COMP!

Yeah, that bears out what I've found, different from 7.5.0 onwards. I tested under 7.5.2 as well, it was the same.

Thing for me is that slicing all lanes at the same point doesn't seem to work in most cases because often there's timing variations between takes, particularly when working on lead vocal takes. And comping together an improv guitar solo for example just isn't possible like that.

I will post this on your thread in the issues forum and maybe it will be investigated.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri May 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *magic* sends?

Aha, you need to set the sends as pre-fader instead of post-fader and they'll be independent of the channel fader then. Maybe this will almost provide you with what you need?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri May 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Selling dongle on to third party after purchase!

Friend of mine bought a 2nd hand SX3 licence (with/on a dongle) a long while back and got registration transferred very easily through support with Steinberg. So it can be done, method may have changed by now though!

If you have more than one licence on the dongle I believe you could purchase another dongle and transfer the licences between them using the elicencer software.

But then again, why not keep the licence for when you've graduated? I have latest licences for Cb and PT because they are both used by many people in the industry and so I end up getting my hands on both at various times.

BTW, how much would be selling it for, I may be interested... Although I'm probably more interested in an Essentials licence rather than another full version due to even the 2nd hand price! PM me if you have a figure in mind please.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it's not one thing it's another...

No help, but I thought I'd join you.... I recently loaded up a 6 month old project, previously created in Cb7, fully working at that time, yet in Cb7.5 today it instantly and completely locks up the machine. CPU at 100% full time, OS locked, even the mouse gets locked out. The only thing I could do was to remotely shutdown from another PC otherwise I'd have had to hold the power button down. Anyway, I'm not much impressed seeing as this was a project that worked well before. Preferences/safe mode/etc make no difference in my case, hope you have better luck!!

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I Need advice on Auto Save settings

I've have it set for 20 versions saved automatically, 1 every 5 minutes.

Actually, all the files .bak are shuffled up a number each time it saves a new version, so v20 is the oldest and the plain .bak (no. 01 is un-numbered!) file is always the latest.

I think what happens if you open any CPR which has a later .bak file of the same name then Cubase will offer to open that one instead for you on the basis that you either forgot to save last time or it crashed.

[I wish they automatically went into a sub-folder because I like a nice tidy project dir!]

I also use the Incremental Backup shortcut key (Ctrl-Alt-S) to quickly save a new version before doing important things (like vari-audioing or tempo mapping, things which have a tendency to crash...). This creates a new version of the file with a number at the end, and also starts you off on a new set of auto-saved backup versions too.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: track name change

Sounds like you're trying to rename a part on a track, not the track itself... To change the name of a clip or part on a track you need to see the info line (which can be viewed by clicking a button on the top/left of the project window which has 3 boxes in it, it's not easy to describe, see pic... and then checking the box for info line), and then when you highlight the part you can click in the name box in the info line and rename it. That's the only (easy) way of doing it.

But then I'm using the full version, could be different for Artist??

Mike.

Cb1.jpg
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Treating audio sample independently

Duplicate the event, then Right mouse button on the event in the project window and select ConvertToRealCopy. This will then create a new version of the clip in the Pool which you can edit independently. It will still reference the same Audio File on disk though (look in the Pool to see this).

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cub

Or editable freeze perhaps? Or an amalgamation of both somehow? E.g. I like the one click solution of Freeze but I really need to be able to keep editing my arrangement after a freeze.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Activate, Pre/Post Fader Buttons in the way on mixer pag

Mouse scroll wheel works well by just hovering in the middle. But also it seems to work if you click one of the buttons and then wiggle the mouse even if you first click on one of the buttons. Any use?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: External Stereo Effect / FX Send question

Hi,

If you're sending to a stereo FX channel then you can also pan the send signal - the Panning tab at the bottom of the Sends panel on the Track Editor. Then in the Track Editor of the FX channel itself you can also change the routing of the insert FX, click the Routing tab at the bottom of the Inserts panel. That should do all you need I think. By default it's all panned centered.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to create automation track for pitch bend

Yeah, been requesting updates to the midi for years, and pitch bend automation is one of the most important ones.

I use the CC and transformer route sometimes. I also use the Track Control plugin with a special script to control the MSB of the pitch bend message. I then automate that.

But what we really want is to be able to record pitch-bend then turn it into automation like all the other CCs, and tidy it up...

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Consistent crashes while trying to record MIDI controlle

I've had many different performance issues from different midi devices (Win7/XP), but not so many crashes, they usually go off-line or stutter the notes. I've never got to the bottom of it. My Midex8 (made by Steinberg) was (still is in fact) notorious for going offline when faced with complex CC messages! Not much help to you really.

So, perhaps consider it may be a project that is corrupted somehow, try using a new project, or try importing the existing tracks into a new project (open two projects at once and cut/paste). This sometimes gets people out of trouble.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is there an easier way to rename markers?

You can also edit the selected Marker's Description via the Info Line as well (which can be shown along the top of the project window). That's is how I usually rename them.

+1 for double clicking the marker and editing the name, that'd make it a lot easier.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glitch when song has quiet section and comes in again

Are you automating bypass on any of your effects? Because on my setup this does a very strange thing when you un-bypass again in that it plays the last bit of audio that went into the plugin just before it was bypassed... which obviously results in a bit of nonsensical dislocated audio from ages back in the song.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to create automation track for pitch bend

Certainly :)

Here's my PitchBend.txt file. You can put this in %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Cubase 7.5_64\Scripts\Trackmixer and then add a Track Control plugin and it should be in the selector at the top, called Pitch. If all's working then you get two controls, Bend and Touch. You can then go and control these two values with an automation lane.

The Touch value works at full resolution of 0-127 but the Bend only works on the MSB value 0=127 so it's quite coarse. Adequate for 1 tone bends but maybe not slow bends or large tonal bends (well, try it and see how it works!).

PitchBend.zip

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Icicle/C7 Connection

I quite often use ASIO4ALL which presents and ASIO driver to Cubase and allows low-latency connection through to a non-ASIO device. But it can be a bit fiddly.... In fact, that's what I use on my laptop to record rehearsals using my USB zoom hd3 recorder to save me having to transfer from the SD card! It works well once it's set up.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Icicle/C7 Connection

It's more that the device manufacturer must supply their own ASIO drivers which Cubase then connects to.

However, if have Generic Low Latency ASIO or Direct X ASIO drivers too, then I think you can use these by setting the default playback device to your required output. All your windows sounds will also come through there as well, but this can be set to 'No Sounds'. The downside of this is usually that the latency is massive, hence calling on ASIO4ALL because it provides low latency.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blacklist problem going on!

I have a few that don't turn up, but not those, and besides, mine are old and probably wouldn't work anyway... Are you sure they're in a directory which is being searched by Cubase? Failing that, perhaps try a freebie VST host or trial version to see if that loads the plugins?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Problem with quantize - bounce - midi track export. HELP

When I'm doing something like this (not as in-depth as you by the sound of it!) I use warp time to set the tempo map to match the drum hits then I can use snap or quantize on the midi. Perhaps if you do this then you will not need the hitpoints anymore because you'll know that the beats of the tempo will exactly match the drums and so you can bounce the sliced audio. Also, perhaps consider using track versions to duplicate before bouncing, that way you can always go back to the raw slices should you need to.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tempo on audio recorded without clic

He's right there, there's nothing like fine detail editing which takes lots of time but without it you won't get it up to standard, it's part of the job usually. Sometimes I do recording with no click and even if the drummer speeds up during a roll it can still sound OK as long as the rest of the band are bang on the beats as well - simply being tightly in with the drums makes an awful lot of difference! But, if it still sounds strange then you will have to slice and move or stretch everything so it fits the metronome. I have customised my keyboard shortcut keys so that I can slice/move/crossfade things very quickly and that's especially good for editing live shows! Beware of RSI though, take regular breaks...

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Collaboration mac and PC

It makes sense not to load projects created/completed with a more advanced version in an inferior version.
Keep in mind the missing features, FX and instruments.

Well, this is what we do and it's actually fine - apart from the once mentioned above. Plugins which aren't available in the Artist version are greyed out (and I try not to use them) but they come back when I load into the full version. And as far as I've noticed there's no features which stop Artist from working and loading the project, we interchange projects on a very regular basis with no problems.

I think for a band it's a great way to work because I've got the full version and I do all the complex stuff like time-warping, tempo-warping, tuning up, mixing, tidying, etc. and the two other people I work with can hear the project exactly as I do but they pay less for their version because they don't need the features that I need. They simply need to record instruments tweak the arrangements, tweak midi etc, and that's about it.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi note round robin

It may be possible to get what you want for max 3 notes using Chord Note-Channel-Switcher by J, found here:
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/js-midi-tools/

I haven't come across any midi tools for round-robin, more's the pity.

If you're playing live then I don't think there's a way of doing what you need in Cubase. But for events already recorded you could create Logical Editor presets to apply round-robin channel changing. Check out the preset 'Delete Each 5th Note' because this can be modified to change the channel of every 4th note to ch4 for example, then a second preset to change every 3rd note (on channel 1) to ch3 and then every 2nd note (on ch1) to ch2. After running these 3 presets in that order once only you'd have channels changing 1/2/3/4 repeatedly through the midi notes in the event(s). You could write a macro to do it all in one go too!

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any Cubase Native Plugins to Remove Distortion?

Maybe you can use a section from another part of the audio, that's an old favourite... Also perhaps you could actively cut the hi frequencies at the time of distortion (and/or boost some others) to make it less obvious? Or, distort the rest of the stuff so it sounds completely intentional ;)

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Acoustic fingerpicking volume.

I don't have essentials but if you can control the volume of the audio event (via the Info line) then you can turn this up too. I find this is very useful because the waveform displayed in the event gets bigger too so you can see it on-screen along with the louder events on other tracks as well as hear it better.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Graphic display in each part - how do I control this?

My understanding is that its all or none for visibility of the midi control data, as given by the one on/off display preference. So you can't control it further than that. One way I've cleaned it up in the past is to use lanes and split out the various different types of data to different lanes. Macros might be your best option if you want to go this way.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VST/midi track volume issue (Cubase artist 7)

Hi,

First the easy question - to export single tracks just solo them when you do the export.

Or is this the easy question - to thank someone, click the thumbs up icon at the top/right of their post. Hover over it and it gives you a handy tool-tip.

The Midi volume question is trickier... Perhaps you need to look at the midi chase options because it may not be chasing while looping? Or look in the midi part and check the volume messages? Or is it a problem with automation, it can be a bit flaky sometimes?

But, you've been a bit sparse on detail here so this is guesswork, if you provide some more detail on what you're doing then people can hopefully be more specific.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Huh? Quantizing Warp Markers in 7.5?

I don't use this much, but could it be that you need to click that wiggly line next to the Q/Qi button to make the Quantize function act on audio instead of midi?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Showing automation on tracks

+1 for automation on the (main) waveform lane.

Because: I quite often have a lot of automation which takes up a fair few extra lanes for each track, resulting in a lot of scrolling and not seeing many of the tracks. I hide the automation, but hiding automation is good to see more tracks on-screen but I've no longer got the visual feedback of which tracks are automated. So, I'd like to see it on the main waveform to give me good visual feedback and also not take up extra screen space.

Also, can we have highlights around the buttons/knobs that are automated - that'd be really useful because right now there's no way of telling except to move the button to see if it springs back, and with no Undo of moving buttons that's not a very good solution.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daylight saving changed = Cubase plugin rescan [again]

It's an industry standard method using file modification times to see if files have updated - pretty much no other way you can do if you don't want to scan the files. BUT, one should use GMT (now called UTC) because that doesn't change twice a year...

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disillusioned cubase artist 7.5 user

You have all the correct gear but I'd suggest you watch some basic videos or read some basic articles on connecting it all up. It sounds to me like you're not quite seeing the difference between midi and audio operation and therefore you're confused about how they should all be connected together...

As some basic guidance for you, firstly you could forget about midi and just connect the M3 into the audio inputs of your soundcard, then create an audio track in Cubase and record something. This would help you to understand how the audio side works. There are also tutorials available. You may think it's not worth going through this procedure but it will train you in how Cubase works.

Then you could add in the midi by creating a midi track and recording the midi from the M3. When you play back you need to make Cubase send the midi back to the M3 (you'll need to read the manual or watch vids to learn this). Once you've got that working you may just hear the M3 sound if you've got your audio routing correct... (hence the earlier audio learning step)

By doing all this you would then understand a lot more about how it all works. Sometimes I find a feature is frustrating to learn, but taking some time and practicing how to use it slowly makes me understand in the end!

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI problem (very strange behaviour!)

Do you have a midi loop back from a keyboard into Cubase again? I created a midi loop once and it locked up everything including Cubase and the OS! What do the midi I/O lights look like on the transport bar?

Another thing to do would be to try using another app instead of Cubase. For example, does MidiOX work? Perhaps try to use Media Player to play a midi file? I don't know any free apps that send midi but there must be some you can test with.

And, something I did the other day to clear out my MIDI device drivers was to follow this web page, primarily to speed up Cubase startup but it may help you in distilling the problem down:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2014/05/how-to-speed-up-cubases-initializing.html

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MIDI problem (very strange behaviour!) WITH VIDEO LINK D

I can't see that vid because my browser is playing up - flash block and flash player don't like each other!

Anyway, I recall that I installed a virtual midi port or two a while back and I had to remove them both because it caused untold problems! So, if you haven't narrowed it down check if it's that yet then it's a strong possibility.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daylight saving changed = Cubase plugin rescan [again]

The reason it is deeper is because each time Cubase starts (or you press the Update button) it checks each .DLL file modification time against it's previous modification time as stored in the XML file, only scanning any that don't match.... But when DST changes then ALL the mod times are 1 hour different therefore all plugins are scanned.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shortcut for " Edit Instrument Channel Settings"

+1. I'd be very happy with e, Shift-e, Alt-e etc. key commands to open the various things.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Turn off track linking?

This rings a vague bell... Is it because you keep turning on the folder Group Editing button using the 'K' keyboard shortcut by accident?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [ISSUE] Key Editor opens at Clip Start not at Cursor

I think the part that people are missing is that the editor isn't closed between double clicks and therefore the behaviour changes:

0) Align the cursor in the middle of a long midi part (say 20 bars)
1) Double click a midi part to open the editor and ensure you can clearly see that the cursor has been centred in the window
2) Do not close the editor, but double click the same midi part - the window contents move to shows the start of the midi part not the cursor position.

Now, this is a trivial thing to be doing, but it is the shortest procedure to demonstrate what happens, i.e. the start of the part is shown rather than the cursor section. In real use you would double click a few other parts on other lanes or tracks to see them, but you'll always see the start not the section at the cursor.

The potential reason why this is an issue rather than feature request is because it didn't used to be like this in previous versions, although I haven't checked which version I recall that it changed at some time.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disillusioned cubase artist 7.5 user

I've mentioned this before, but it'd be great to see a signal flow window which shows the basic connections. Something like that for the Control Room. But also with pulsing lines and connections to show the audio that is actually being played. This would solve an awful lot of people's problems I think. And also look great to the punters in the studio :)

Mike.

P.S. I recently found the manual for my Ghost32 channel desk, and it was folded back at the signal diagram page - now that's completely because it was the only page that told me what every button did in one place and I consulted it a lot while learning how to use the mixer!
by GargoyleStudio
Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to keep a track visible at all times when scrolling

Yer, there's a small icon top right-sh now... Splits the screen into upper and lower scrolling separately. It moved from the LHS to the RHS after SX I think.

Cb_SplitScreen.jpg

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is there a way that plugins can be turned on 1 channel?

Mix6to2, good tool for splitting out 4 channel simultaneous guitar recordings. I quite often use an LRCS channel, say direct guitar, effects out, two mics on the amp(s), so I can edit all the channels at once without having to trust the folder group edit feature. I split them to different stereo groups in the end.

Beerbong, perhaps if you tell us what you're trying to do we could provide more help?

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to set bank MSB C00 for certain ext. synths?

There's a couple of things...

1. Put the CC0 code in a midi part at the start of your project. Prob here is that you're no longer using the inspector, so midi device patch lists won't work for you. Program changes will tho.

2. Use a midi conversion tool to translate the CC number just for that one channel/output. Prob here is to find such a tool. In the past I've used a virtual midi cable tool to patch in MidiOx which I've then used to filter out the default CCs which Cubase chases (because they can't be turned off and they effect my external synths in unwanted ways!). Its a pain to set up, but in my case it was a joy to use once sorted :)

Can't think of much else, might help you though....

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Visual indicators in the Ruler (Punch-in, Pre-roll and m

+1 great ideas, I'm all for more visual highlighting especially with colours.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Intelligent velocity

BTW, if you hover over the top/central drag handle/dot then it does scaling without needing to press the Alt key. Really useful Tooltips appear to tell you what each drag handle does!

Anyway, yep that's the scaling I referred to in the first post, but not many people know about it because its only recently introduced. Starsprinkler, you should call it the Controller Lane with Velocity showing or something like that because I was adjusting velocity in the Velocity Field in the info line!! Trouble is there's so many places that values can be changed in Cubase :) It would be most handy if that had the same scaling operation with Alt.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Visual indicators in the Ruler (Punch-in, Pre-roll and m

This brings me towards the suggestion that the L/R cycle markers should be separate to the punch In/Out markers... Although we have pre and post-roll, it would be more intuitive to be able to create a loop and then specify I/O punches inside the loop just when you choose to.

Oh, another suggestion that stems from that is then the Punch I/O markers are automatically set when you manually punch in and out - ready for being automatic if another take is needed.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Macro launchpad window.

+1 please. This would be a great feature. Also to have customisable buttons on the toolbar. Problem at the moment is that I have a fair few macros which are assigned to key commands but I use them infrequently and I can't remember the key commands... Buttons on a panel would be very useful.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rack instruments Vs. Instrument tracks

I usually drag the tracks from multi-output rack instruments so they're below their respective midi track. This means they're all visible quite easily next to each other, downside is that it takes up quite a bit of space on-screen... I have some macros programmed for showing/hiding these 'extra' tracks when I'm just working on midi or just working on the audio output.

[Note, there's a quick way of bringing them together too, by selecting both tracks then moving the midi track up one track then back down - this operation moves all selected track to be together.]

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rack instruments Vs. Instrument tracks

(OT) P.S. further to the moving tracks tip, another helpful tip is to use the Visibilty tab to do multiple selection because you can scroll it independently of the project window, therefore you can maintain focus on the main selected track that you want the others to be next to... Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Side-chain Input for ALL processors

+1 for all these suggestions. I would love better sidechaining all round. Also, a great feature to drive automation from another audio signal, that would be very very useful.

Mike.
by GargoyleStudio
Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic