Search found 47 matches

Return

Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I'll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven't been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent Thread by Bane (looks like hundreds of hours of work here) thanks Curteye.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=23576#p151237

Great Site Full of Tutorials thanks Norbury Brook .
http://www.cubasetutorial.net/

Best Ever Workflow Tip

The one piece of advice that keeps on coming up over and over: Learn the Key commands and assign your own. Almost every function can be set to a key command.

Here's an excellent thread by JMCecil with a utility for setting up and viewing key commands.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=31882

Project Setup

Make templates!

Get a session set up how you like it, tracks ready to go, input and output buses, group channels, folder tracks even favourite VST instruments and FX, this is a BIG timesaver.

Template From Existing Project

Save your project under a different name first (avoids ‘lost project embarrassment’). Delete all the Audio/MIDI stuff you don’t want in the template from the project window. Hit [CTL]+P to open pool and right [Option]click, select empty trash.
BEWARE, don’t choose erase unless you don’t need the files, choose the‘remove from pool’ option. Erase option will send your files to digital heaven. Then choose Save as Template option from the file menu.

Naming Tracks

In the Arrange window, click in the track name box to get a curser, type in the tracks name ie; ’Kick’, hit [TAB] (cursor jumps to next track name box) type in next one and repeat. Hit [Enter] to end.

Naming Tracks Inside Folders - by Xtigma

Rename all tracks inside a folder to the same name.
Type name in Folder Track, hold down [shift] + press [enter].

Rename all events on midi track to track's name - By Mozizo

Dbl click track name(fonts highligted with blue).
Press and hold one of the modifiers and press Enter.

Assigning Input Buses and Channel Outputs

In the Mix Console, select the required audio channels and as you assign the 1st channel (Drop down menu in Mix Console-Routing Tab) hold down [Shift] and each channel will be assigned incrementally.
Holding [Shift]+[ALT] will send all selected channels to the same Input bus or output.

Macros

To create a macro

File/Key Commands/Show Macros/New Macro-and name it.
Highlight the command from the commands window and hit 'Add Command' after each.
The new marco should now be visible in the macro folder in the commands window. Assign it to a Key of your choice.

New Track Macro - by Rhino

For creating a new track with all routing monitoring and FX settings from existing in one go.

Project - Duplicate Tracks
Edit - Select All On Tracks
Edit - Delete

Bounce In Place - by Winter Rat http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597

Cubase Ninja Pro-Tools style Trim Automation - by Lukasbrooklyn http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=38182

Set L and R Locators to next 2 markers - by SeeWhat

Locate to marker 1 then apply the following macro ({Alt}+{/}.
transport- set Left locator
transport- next marker
transport- set Right locator

Mix Console/FX

Default FX Presets - by Rhino

In any FX container window, next to the preset box hit the cubase icon and choose 'save as default preset'

Open all insert GUI on channel - By mozizo

[shift]+[alt]+[left click] on E button of a channel.
To close all of them [shift]+[left click] on E again.

Audio

Pre-Insert Volume Automation

Make sure the 'Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades' option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won't work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn

To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

MIDI

MIDI Octave shortcut - by Stealth

Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave.

MIDI Velocity Editing - by trashdinner

Hold shift + Ctrl, left click and drag up or down to change velocity on selected MIDI events.

Logical Editor - by Curteye

Being a MIDI guitarist from the early 90's the LE was a must learn.
Here is my approach(es):

1-When using it stop thinking like an artist/musician etc
and start thinking more 'scientific'. (similar but not quite the same)

2-Don't go in 'cold'. Decide want you want to accomplish and use a preset
that steers in that direction. There are many in Cubase. Tweak from there.

3-Save your tweak as a preset. You might need it later and you might forget how you got there.
(happened to me a lot at first)

4-Using LE custom presets along with Key Commands can really speed the workflow.

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 -> Output tab -> hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever "VSTi Out". Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the "VSTi Output" from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to "VSTi Output"
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

Vari Audio

Variaudio shortcuts - by trashdinner

[tab] to switch between segment and pitch modes.
Hold [ctrl] while moving a note to snap to pitch.
Hold [shift] while moving a note to move it freely.

Video

Video Scrubbing - by Carlo

Very nice for film-scoring if you play back a movie on a computer screen: Click directly in the Video Player window and drag the mouse left or right...

Toggle Full Screen Video - by BFred

Double-click anywhere in the video window to toggle full screen mode.

General

Resize Tool box (Arrange Window) - by Soul Burn

If you press right-click to open the tools menu and hold it pressed for about 5 seconds (it feels long), you can resize the shape of the toolbox. This lets you get to your tools with a shorter movement of the mouse.

Scissor Trick - by Bonso

Scissor Tool : alt/click when slicing an event divides the whole event into equal length sections.

Reverse Locators to skip section - by Rotund

If you just want to cut a section of a song, but want to hear the result first.
Simply engage cycle, then set your left locator to the end of the section to be cut.
Then set your right locator to the beginning of the section to be cut.
Yea, backwards.
Now playback from a point before the right locator.
The song will skip over the section enclosed in the markers.

Got something to share? Post your tips and ideas in this thread and I'll add them when I can.
by Paul Coyle
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Official Windows 7 64 optimizations?

I have found this in another topic so I wonder what are the official suggested Windows 7 64 optimizations?
I don't have any issue and my Win 7 is configured in the old way (AERO off and processor scheduler to background).

Thanks

"1. Don't Disable AERO make it look like Windows 95. AERO need to be ON on Windows 7 and Windows 8! Use the latest Drivers from you vendors NVIDIA
or ATI.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

2. Set the processor scheduler to "background task" is wrong Setting on Windows 7 and 8. IT SHALL BE SET to PROGRAM!
ASIO is not a background task. On Windows XP another story.

Note* I'm amazed that even Steinberg at page 24 in Operation manual advice some people to set to "background" only (on a single- CPU system), though meaning XP old systems. They should take it away completely or add to make it clear its only for users on Windows XP only, not on Windows 7 or 8. Windows 7 and 8 work and are complete different system.
It should be set to PROGRAM not BACKGROUND on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

3. It can be a good idea on some system to disable "core-parking" in Windows 7 and 8. This is advance operation true reg-edit so if you have no experience you can mess up your system pretty bad and completely.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp ... 61804.aspx"
by jconstantine
Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NEW CMC TOOLS AND FIRMWARE

Shift lock (2 Sec delay to engage shift tap to disengage) would be very welcome, and not only on the PD.
I'm not sure if lighting the PD buttons is even possible. I suppose for function mode it would be useful, but certainly not in other modes - i.e. where the intensity of the light reflects the pressure.
It is a pity that the pads do not behave (in conjunction with synth e.g. GA1) as they do in the GUI as many had expected. I'm not sure this is possible (never checked whether there is a midi local on/off toggle or something) - of course one can route the track (or copy therof) output to the PD and then it behaves as expected, but this involves an absurd redundancy - might as well just set the PD in demo mode.
by BriHar
Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NEW CMC TOOLS AND FIRMWARE

Any news about update and some new functions ?
by istokblues
Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

end wavelab and integrate it in Cubase

end wavelab and integrate it in Cubase.. for a most complet and efective pro solution :o
by lapa
Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: this'll change everything 14 nov

I think what I need is just faster operations within Cubase, less clicking and all that.
A better workflow, not more functionality.

Just fix the damn temperamental, awkward Mix Console.

Ok, we got it. Stuff posted over and over in many threads across the board.

Is it necessary to derail each and every thread with posts like this when there are FR Threads, Issues Reports Threads where this has been posted hundred times? I guess not, as the people in charge read the Forum and we at Support forward the requests and complaints.

This is exactly the disruptive behaviour you can read of in the Forum Rules.
by Fabio Bartolini
Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FilmNMusicMan wrote:How about less STUFF more core features and performance improvements for existing products.

Hello,

FilmNMusicMan,

what performance problems do you have?

I offered you direct help in a thread a while back and via e-mail, but never heard back.
The offer is still valid, if you need help.

Regards,
by Fabio Bartolini
Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "POLL" Pay for 7.5 on the way for christmas

Freddie H wrote:FREE!

Why should it cost anything?
Its still the same version, version 7. :roll:

If they make a new version Cubase 8, then it should cost something to upgrade.

Best Regards
Freddie

+1
by Muziksculp
Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RitchieM wrote:Please don't be absurd!!!

It's for the Amiga. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Another thing that can change everything for me, if Steinberg invent plugin that converts my girlfriends screaming to musical ideas .. i Will finally have enough material for an album for every month :mrgreen:
by mozizo
Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Please don't be absurd!!!

It's for the Amiga. :lol:
by RitchieM
Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recommended laptop models

1. Hewlett Packard (HP)
2. EliteBook 8770w (17")
3. Win 7 Pro x64
4. Quad-core i7 3820QM @ 2.70 Ghz (3.70 Ghz max OC)
5. 16 GB (32 max)
6. 256 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm (both internal)
7. RME Babyface
8. Cubase 7/Cakewalk Sonar X2
9. Soundtracks (portable rig)

Flawless performance. This is one monster of a laptop, the best I've ever used. The 17" 1080p display (1920x1080) is just about the best screen you can desire on a laptop. Perfect combination of large size and high resolution (a friend of mine has a Surface Pro and 1920x1080 on a 10" screen is simply ridiculous. You'd need a magnifier to see anything!)

Even tried hooking it up to my studio's RME UFX via Firewire and it works perfectly (which means it's OK to use with FW interfaces, unlike many other PC laptops.)
by papi61
Mon May 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've heard only good things about Lenovo notebooks and Cubase.
I don't use a notebook for Cubase but I do use Lenovo and can testify that I have no problems.
If they're good enough for NASA and used on the ISS ...
by BriHar
Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've got the 8530 and its onboard firewire works just fine.
by Strophoid
Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good advice if you thinking on build DAW computer yourse

That's what I love about forums there is always someone waiting to shoot you down in flames .....

Im not upgrading but good pointers there and at least you are pointing people in the right direction , some knowledge is better than non .
Thanks for posting for others ;-)
by G-string
Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Features] Important new feature suggestions on CMC-Seri

Love the units. Very happy camper. Best studio aid I've bought for ages ! Only had them a couple of days and they're a God-send.
However, I'd still like to see;

1. Some way of choosing whether the mixer onscreen follows the left/right channel scrolling of the FD unit. Otherwise I see the bank of selected channels scroll their way off my screen and have no way of knowing what I'm controlling unless I move the mixer window.

2. Shift lock - obvious Yes

3. Cubase projects to save the current position of my Quick Controller and recall this as the starting position when loading on tracks that have no automation recorded

4. An option to have the QC lock its controls to a particular set of variables regardless of the channel selected,
ie when option selected, moving channels no longer changes the QC assignment. Instead it remains as per a user-defined set... effectively giving the user 8 AI-type knobs.
(I'm new to these, so may have missed an obvious workaround to achieve this, but happy to hear if so.)
(Top Tip?: I have tried adding another blank audio channel and using this to set eight parameters eg fader levels on 8 other channels... quite nice, but obviously it stops working when I select another channel.)

And for future (if I buy more FDs)
5. Each bank of four highlighted on-screen in different colours corresponding to the colours of some 'stick-on' strip supplied with the units so I can quickly work out which of the 16 channels is which :-)

6. A job suggesting things for CMC controllers where I get paid a grand a go :D
by Potential - o- meter
Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Features] Important new feature suggestions on CMC-Series!

Maybe a more detailed explanation of each thing is in order

Quick Control Banks: is the ability to page through multiple Quick Control sets per track. HS2 has this (sort of) for the zones. But, 8 is just not even close to enough just for stand alone tracks, let alone when you add plugins to the track. There are enough buttons + shift options available already to do this.

Plugin Memory: This is simply the ability to have a QC bank per plugin that automatically gets enabled when the plugin has focus. This would be similar to Automap functionality (although limited to the goofy 8 restriction, that paging would resolve) and make the QC a truly useful device.

EQ Type Select: In EQ mode, it is boggling to me that you can't select the type. Now, we also need a way to get at the HP/LP section.

Function Mode: For those that don't have a PD... Preset 16 lets each pad be a Function Key to execute any key Cubase command. I currently have that preset configured to be a really fast Quantize pallet. But, we can already rotate between PAD and Velocity mode. I propose a FUNCTION mode where each preset can be either Velocity, Note, Action or Function. (I'll get to actions in a sec). The important thing is I could quickly go between a Quantize pallet and say a Warp Pallet, or a Transpose Pallet .. etc.

Action Mode for PD: So many drum machines have controls to stutter, reverse, scramble, slow, bit crush the sample being played. It would be cool to set aside some of the notes as mapable/learnable to VSTi controls.

Rotate through Plugins: Come on, this is seriously lacking in Cubase. We need to be able to easily access the plugins on a track. The CH could easily alt mode the previous/next track to scroll through the insert list. Then one of the F buttons could open/close the selected plugin. Obviously if you make the QC tweak above to allow plugin sensitive QCs, this becomes super powerful.
by JMCecil
Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it was your money?

Both great product but you should go with Komplete 9. Omnisphere is basically a very wide ranging synth. Komplete is a diverse group of sound makers and effects that could be all you need for awhile to come. Also Native Instruments will hit you up with offers and deals several times a year that will get you add ons for cheap.
by Mr M
Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yet I don't own either and I enjoy myself ;)
I'm sure they're great products, but you don't NEED them. Get an instrument (software or hardware) and learn to play it untill you know exactly what it can and can't do, and only then buy something else that complements what you already have. That's my advice ;)
by Strophoid
Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A custom built will yield the most power money can buy, no doubt. However as you're beginning the process of home studio creativity, and learning which daw,which software etc. adding on the PC building component would be foolish.There is more to know and learn when it comes to PC building than anything else. Your best bet would be to buy a custom music PC from a reliable maker. In a couple of years when you're ready to move up to a more powerful PC ,then you might look at building your own.

Word!
{'-'}
by curteye
Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Apologies to the board for my earlier remarks.

Aloha guys,

This is not the place for personal remarks and I stepped
waaaay over the line. :|

Please accept my humble apologies and regrets.
I am very very sorry. And it won't happen again.

TIA
{'-'}
by curteye
Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it possible to be more then two participants, video-c

I believe in the video (yes that video) they said it uses peer to peer communication, so technically it is perfectly possible. I do not know, of course, if it's possible this time around, but see no apparent reason why it wouldn't be in the future.

What would be really cool, is to have a folder like, that is a peer folder, track that contains one or more audio tracks as shared by a peer (maybe even a video track), that can then be recorded as needed. You could of course be represented similarly on the other end. If you could then instantiate more peers this way, that would pretty cool.
by Elektrobolt
Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aero causes cursor flickering?

Aero is handled by the GPU. If you disable it, then you're burdening the CPU with a task that the Windows designers cleverly delegated to the GPU. In other words, Aero should never be disabled. If you don't like it, maybe you should consider upgrading to win 8.1.
by papi61
Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Question] Does new "Instrument track 2.0" work with VST

Weasel wrote:The chances of Steinberg setting off a firestorm of criticism by [...] disenfranchising thousands of users the ability to use their [old plug-in format] is laughable at best.

Yes. As we all know, only Avid gets away with this.
by orchetect
Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The chances of Steinberg setting off a firestorm of criticism by [...] disenfranchising thousands of users the ability to use their [old plug-in format] is laughable at best.

Yes. As we all know, only Avid gets away with this.

and Apple , every time they introduce a new version of OS everybody else is expected to drop everything they are working on and spend loads of money and follow suit !
by G-string
Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It works fine with Kontakt 5 here, which as you said is VST2.x I think. I've tried to use it as a rack instrument, and on an instrument tracks, which is working fine with output selections, playback etc.

SLL
by SLL
Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Uh, no I don't think it works ... Or to say it a different way, you get none of the advantages of the new rack. It does not save output configs of 2.4 plugs. At least, I can't get it to. Which makes this useless for me.
by JMCecil
Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What I wonder is:

Load and work with Kontakt 5 "multi outputs" let say 32ch outputs and 16 midi channel.
If I load Kontakt 5 with new "Instrument track 2.0". Will it give me and work like this:

In the arrangement and Mixer-page
Track 1 -->"Kontakt Track 1"; = "MIDI ch1" and [output 1-2] *same track
Track 2 -->"Kontakt Track 2"; = "MIDI ch2" and [output 3-4] *same track
Track 3 -->"Kontakt Track 3"; = "MIDI ch3" and [output 5-6] *same track

and so on...

I managed to set up a Kontakt in this manner. The MIDI tracks essentially become additional instrument tracks (as in, MIDI track 2 can be wired to send data to channel 2 and you are able to select which of Kontakt's additional audio outputs you want to assign to that MIDI track which then turns the MIDI track into a hybrid audio return.)

Regardless, all enabled audio outs of the Kontakt will show up in the MixConsole.

JMCecil, could you clarify what you mean?
by orchetect
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What I was saying is that you can't save them as a preset. But, they work multi-out fine after you set them up.
by JMCecil
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Track Instruments vs. Rack Instruments in Cubase 7.5

One track - one task - one instrument. It's simple and clear, especially for organisation and mixing. I'm using Kontakt too, but one instance for every track. That could make 20 or more Kontakt instances per project. Each additional Kontakt instance has a footprint of only 32 MB (!). And this way you can use the Kontakt multi instruments for easy sound layering.

Keep up with the times!

What if you want to load a Kontakt Multi that has 64 orchestral patches all ready to go for a particular type of project? It would be ridiculous to have to spend half a day setting this up in Cubase as 64 separate Instrument Tracks.

Use your head!
by Music Maven
Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

Of course many people show up here when things go wrong,
So here's a thread to show that you like the 7.5 update. (And drop an unavoidable complaint)

I Like it, :) apart from the fact that it broke the Mackie Control usage for the time being. Well, it installs besides 7.5 so switching back and forth is easy.

Edit: The Mackie Control turns out not to be broken but actually was improved beyond recognition. All's good now
by JayAudion
Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wavelab 8 as my external editor with Cubase 7.5 x64?

I want to highlight a clip in Cubase 7 ----> "open"/"send" a clip to Wavelab 8- editor automatically
You can't do that. This is not possible in Cubase. The only place you can integrate Wavelab is in the 'Export Audio Mixdown' dialogue. Here you can specify Wavelab in the Post Process menu.
by stingray
Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One guy here, Arjan, has this figured out, maybe he will chime in. But be advised, he has some very specific gear that is available only on the used market. I can't do what he is doing with my gear, for example, and I have 16 outputs. :P
by mr.roos
Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, like stingray said, it's only opening a file from the export audio in Cubase into Wavelab that's possible. Not how it used to be pre Cubase 4 (IIRC), where Wavelab could be integrated in a way that after editing there, the edited file was directly showing in the Cubase project.

I think mr roos was referring to me using Cubase and Wavelab at the same time, where Wavelab records my outboard mix while Cubase plays its tracks, both using the same audio interface (not so much legacy at all though..) ;)
by Arjan P
Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

forthwith wrote:You seem to have a great amount to type, so could you therefore perform a test for the benefit of the forum?

That's not very nice. Freddie is a very enthusiastic guy who makes valuable contributions to this forum. And he does have good knowledge of both Cubase and computers. Give him a break.
by papi61
Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you like the 7.5 update...+1 this and reply

Freddie H wrote:By the way!
Have you all notice how clear the graphic is now?

+1

Very nice.
{'-'}
by curteye
Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: THANK YOU STEINBERG!! Cubase 7 and Cubase 7.5 are amazin

What's the point of such a thread ? :shock:

Isn't this one enough : http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=51385 ? :?

So, Freddie, as the only way to see it is that you want to start a debate in a more or less provocative way, I'm going to please you by answering with my point of view. But, as I don't want to loose too much of my time on it, I'm going to post here large excerpts of other posts of mine, made here and there.

I was considering an eventual update from 7.0.6 (while carefully keeping 5.1 and 6.5 installed...), this, despite all the UI regressions (yes, I'm probably one track minded ans still hate the new white masked timeline cursor and the C7 color schemes, among others...), as the first comments about 7.5 was 'fantastic', 'amazing', 'wonderful', etc, etc...

The main things that were interesting me are the track versions, the track visibility and the new algo reverb. I don't really care about the others, honestly...

But since 7.5 release, I have seen here :
- Again, a drastic increase of project loading times (and I thought that it couldn't get worse...),
- Projects .cpr file size of some users here growing from 600 kb (with 7.0.6) to... 4.5 Mb ! :shock: ,
- Content download and installation issues,
- Anormal spikes here and there with still as much resources used as before if not worse for some,
- And another feature removal without warning : no more grid when using freewarp.

And beside this (among several others...) :

- Still the dreaded and unavoidable white masked timeline cursor which, as I'm more than 50 years old, appears as two vertical lines without glasses, no matter the width set for it. A workflow killer by itself...

- No UI regressions fixes : still no replacements for the preferences settings that were in both 'Appearance/General' and 'Appearance/Work area' pages (the latter has just disappeared from 6.5 to 7), especially the ones involving the grid, the buttons and work area brightness. This with others UI quirks such as the behavior of the R/W buttons of the FX/Group tracks when narrowing them.
And, last but not least, the brand new preferences color scheme, which is anything but practical : you can't even copy a color from an item to another and there is not even a way (AFAIK) to do a savable basic palette of colors in it, this to avoid the more or less erratical clicking, trying to pick up the right color tone needed. But there's so much to say about all the UI regressions...

- No fixes for Generic Remote definitions in order to clearly support both :
+ soft takeover. It works, but only if you accept to edit manually the generic remote definition xml file. In other words, this feature is unavailable, using the UI of the 'Device setup' window and not documented...
+ NRPN support : this one is completely broken and I had to find a clumsy workaround using different MIDI channel number for each control to be able to use my MPD32 endless knobs. I sent a support ticket to Steiny about this more than one month ago, and still waiting for any feedback...
This without talking about the still channel dependent layout, which means that you better think of it twice, before trying to add or remove a channel/track if plug-ins are involved in the currently active GR definition...

- No fixes concerning the key commands behavior issues with the MixConsole focus,

- No improvement of the RCE (absolutely useless with generic remote handling ; this thingy was naively one of the main reasons to purchase C7, one year back...),

- No improvement of the ASIO guard,

- Still the same click fest in the MixConsole,

- Trackpresets are still unusable with multiouts VSTis.

So, basically, more or less useful features added again, leaving more and more things half-baked, this with unwanted regressions and changes. Seems like Steiny is engaged in a headlong rush and I'm increasingly fearing what the future will bring. It explains why I will NOT upgrade to 7.5, as I don't want to support Steiny in the wrong track they are engaged in.

Been trapped one time with C7 and will not make the same mistake again : I'll keep on using 5.1 and 6.5 for as long as possible...

Hope you're happy with this, Freddie. Good christmas to you ! :P
I love it when you constantly derail a Steinberg feel good thread , just because your unhappy you expect the world to roll over and play dead for you aahhh ????

WELL SAID FREDDY a big +1
by G-string
Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's a great release other than the 30 or 40 crappy interface bugs that have existed since the 7.0 release a year ago.
by JMCecil
Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I like Freddie, and I'm glad he's joined us from over in the Cakewalk forum. He's definitely made an upgrade from Sonar. :) We need someone here in this forum who uses different fonts and *all* the emoticons -- someone who is always jumping up and down like a happy teenager. Seriously. I mean it. This forum can get a bit glum sometimes, since most happy Cubase users are actually off making music, not hanging around here too often... and people like Freddie spice things up and bring some extra cheer.

Glad you're here, Freddie! Hope you enjoy Cubase as much as I have! (Well, judging by your forum posts, I'd say you already have!)

And yes, I agree with the sentiment of your OP. Cubase is amazing!
by uarte
Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase 7.5 MAGNETO II sounds wonderful!

wasn't the post "THANK YOU STEINBERG!! Cubase 7 and Cubase 7.5 are amazing!!!" enough to express your appreciation for Cubase 7.5? do you plan to raise the bar by creating a dedicated post for each new feature?
and what has this to do with the OP ? there are so many sad sad people in the world that like taking their misery out on others if they have the feel good factor . It's so sad because some of these sado's could generally be nice people.

Thanks for the heads up Freddy im not a tape emulation guy myself either but because of your positive attitude try it and will certainly dig it out this evening and feel the warmth ;)
by d-_-b
Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

wasn't the post "THANK YOU STEINBERG!! Cubase 7 and Cubase 7.5 are amazing!!!" enough to express your appreciation for Cubase 7.5? do you plan to raise the bar by creating a dedicated post for each new feature?
Leave the frikkin' guy alone, will you..? For chrissakes... he's happy ..!! He's making music, he likes his cubase, he's thanked SB, he's a bit excited and he's happy..! That's it. Deal with it... jeez..

You can just walk past if you do see another great FreddieH post, can't you..?

If only some more had done so, in his other thread too, instead of continually weighing in and just trampling all over it, with the result of it being locked.

Go Freddie..!! (oh, and go for those emoticons, like you used to - it doesn't harm anyone, and you are the ONLY person who does it here; we should know the drill by now; its just a FreddieH thing - its what makes FreddieH, FreddieH..!)

(Sorry - back to topic now...)
by Puma0382
Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am a big fan of the original Magneto, which I have missed ever since I replaced my studio PC with a Mac. (The original Magneto wasn't available for OSX)

Does anyone know how to set up Magneto II to behave like the old Magneto? I really liked the old one on overdriven guitars, bass, kick, toms and snare. I am excited about the now one and I have already used it on a mix which I am currently working on, but I haven't been able to recreate the behavior of the old one. Maybe they are too different?

But regardless of this I am really excited to have Magneto back again! :)
by _CM_
Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Freddie - you have made me curious about Magneto, something I've never tried. Please ignore the whiny dr4kan as I don't see him as a positive contributor. You, however, are a valuable asset to this forum. Thanks. 8-)
by thermionic
Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

HI GUYS ...
after so many usage mac osx I'm thinking of upgrading to Win 7 64 bit.
prices of apple in value performance no longer justifies the cost of a mac ... :?
I ask you of the forum .... :roll:
Tips for a daw with cubase 7 on win 7 64 bit.
components, the stability of the system, your impressions ...
Help me

I did this exact thing for these exact reasons.

Zero regrets.

The performance boost you'll enjoy is on 6 fronts:

1) It new hardware so it's of course faster than what you currently have.

2) Price-performance is better with PC. Whatever you get with the money you spend, it'll be faster.

3) Modern CPUs are very overclock friendly. Motherboards from, for example, ASUS, come with built-in overclock profiles that can be chosen with a simple menu selection in the BIOS. So your faster hardware will be faster still, because Apple doesn't provide any tools to overclock. Can you overclock a Mac? Sure, but it's tricky and unsupported. With the right Motherboard purchase from ASUS, they'll actually support you OCing it. They have a phone support of technicians called "Overclock Engineers" (I'm not making this up) that will walk you through it for free. It has to be on their "OC Supported" list -- so call them first and find out which ones are.

4) Cubase performs faster, all things being equal (same hardware), under Windows.

5) Windows ASIO performs better at low latencies than OS X Core Audio -- this is well documented over at Dawbench (an old article but still applies)

6) VST Plugins, by many 3rd party vendors tend to be more optimized than their AU counterparts. The affect of this can add up. I have not heard any complaints of the reverse being true, but there are probably instances.

The net effect of all of this will astound you.
by Jalcide
Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stop Charging for .5 Upgrades!

Track versions, multi-timbral VST tracks, Track visibility and all the rest. totally worth $50.
by SteveInChicago
Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Dear Steinberg!

Can you please make a OPTION to disable the "VST CONNECT CUE" warning message?

It says that it need to be inserted into an audio channel. I know that thank you, and every time I open the plugin "daily" it keeps saying this message every time so I need to press "OK" to get rid of the message.

By the way... TIPS OF THE DAY! :idea:

I don't know if you have come up with this yet but I insert it on one of the "control rooms" "Cue-mixes" as a insert instead. Much better then audio track. ;)
I then just press the "Mix" button on the specific "CUEMIX" in "control-room" to send the whole mix to the "VST CONNECT CUE" audio stream. Works perfect so you don't need necessary to insert it on a "AUDIO track" as you state in the manual!

The best thing is if the plugin can recognize that its okay to insert "VST CONNECT CUE" on one of the "CUEMIX"'s in the "control room" section.
That would be even better. ;)

Thanks in advance. :)

Best Regards
Freddie
only saw this now...
a) you keep saying the warning states that the VST Connect Cuemix plug should be inserted in an AUDIO channel. That's not true, it is to be inserted into a GROUP channel where you send the cuemix (headphone monitor mix) for the Performer, using sends.
b) yes, this is exactly what the Control Room Cuemix is meant to do, but unfortunately that channel does not compensate for the delay which is needed for synchronous recording with VST Connect. That is why it must be used with the "To Performer" Group channel instead. We are working on making it work with the Control Room Mixer because that would eliminate some routing complexity but it's a bit tricky :-)
c) for just reviewing mixes, one can indeed insert the cuemix plug in the Control Room cuemix channel or even the Master output. As said, no synchrounous recording works then but if that is not of concern because the Performer side just wants to listen to the mix, for instance, it makes sense. We'll add an option to surpress the warning messge for such scenarios.
by musicullum
Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic