Search found 11 matches

Return

Re: Cubase 7.5 & dual octocore cpu

a dual Xeon will be an absolute WASTE of your money.
unless you are buying 2 3.1GHz ($2000) processors
the single 6 core 4930K will outperform
I know very few clients who have anywhere near close to a need for a dual Xeon
by JCschild
Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thunderbolt

well the older dante cards don't include anything but routing.. and are limited.
the newer Nuage systems are pretty sweet when using the ENTIRE package..
with that said its very "niche" where personally Madi (RME in particular) is still the way to go for most.
we have seen a good number of products over the yrs and nothing has yet to touch madi.
I was doing 192 I/O live systems 9 yrs ago via madi.

I will say that the network protocol has finally come of age but its not really a cost saver when you get into high I/O counts.

the answer more depends on strictly live use and having to route multiple directions or studio use as well..
by JCschild
Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: re new PC build

and i would say the opposite.. buy the K the K will over clock to 4.5GHz the 3770 will NOT
by JCschild
Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: re PC spec

as blunt as possible garbage.
a single i7 (3770) would kill it, never mind a socket 2011 like 3930K
by JCschild
Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Some basic questions - i7 or Xeon E5?

Dual Xeons are a complete waste of money for 95% of studios.
a Xeon and a desktop processor are the exact same product.

the only reason to go Xeon on a single processor board is to jump to 10/12 core and you had better buy one of the higher GHz Xeons or its going to be slower than the 4930K.

if you over clock the 4930K a Xeon even with 12 cores would be hard pressed to keep up.
a big plus 1 for scanUK
or Daw plus in Germany.

titan is clueless about audio
by JCschild
Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I remember those days also the pencil trick with Athlons later.
fortunately nothing that crazy anymore.

too complicated to list here sorry

I would stay with win 7
by JCschild
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600083963%20600000279&IsNodeId=1&name=1.35V

sadly I wouldn't touch any of these options. I used to like Mushkin but then they started changing chips faster than I change underwear.

Gskill has/had some decent 1.35v wait found it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231736

just have to buy 2 sets and hope both sets are
1) the same Eeprom programing
2) the same chips.

the way most these guys work is they buy the cheapest chips they can. so week 12 batch is different than week 13 might be Elpida one week and hundai the next

also you may be ok with 4 sticks of a different batch (depending on their XMP) but if you try to add 4 more forget it.

again there is a reason we spent a fortune getting our own ram up and running. not what I wanted to do and I get sick to my stomach every time I have to order more or worse send the wire transfer the following month. :o
by JCschild
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shopping for new 88 keyboard with midi control, oxygen88

MM8 $899 can be had for around $800
yeah CP and S90 are really nice but pricey
by JCschild
Wed May 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Single core performance or total performance?

its getting to be a balancing act. Cubase does scale well (when all is right)

ideally you would want a single 6 core High GHz processor. easiest advice I can give without confusing the point.

the 4930K is presently the best overall for power and cost.
the 4930K overclocked is near impossible to beat without getting into 10-12 core single processor. and even then its dollar foolish
by JCschild
Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The last word on Hyperthreading (4930k)

this is correct

""" guess this is because the original Hyperthreading (Xeon, Pentium 4 if I remember correctly) wasn't that efficiently implemented by Intel."""

again I build and sell about 1200 systems a yr. a good 600+ are for pro audio. a large amount of those are for Cubendo.

DO NOT TURN IT OFF PERIOD

FYI we do complete integration. in other words before the system ships we install the interface and Cubendo and completely test it. (if you already own both)
and we completely support not just the system but Cubase(and other software) and the interface (or other hardware)

so this is not experience from 1 system but thousands of systems. been doing this almost 17 yrs.

if you are seeing issues from HT on your system is not built or tweaked or set up correctly. that simple.
there is a very rare nearly unheard of issue but that is another story. for 99.9% leave the HT alone.
by JCschild
Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The last word on Hyperthreading (4930k)

then something is not right..
most likely the fix is here

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... ates+turbo

very old topic and most of it no longer applies to newer processors but does for the 970.
by JCschild
Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic