Normalization in Wavelab Elements 8

Hello, I have 3 question :

1- in an audio file, must I do normalization only on the Lead Vocal or also on the Choir ?

2- How to choose a correct dB value of normalization on an audio file, according to the peak indicated ?
For example : an audio file indicates : “the current peak value is -10 dB”, so must I normalize at +10 dB to optimize
it to 0 dB or must I use another value ?

3- For Mastering, to avoid audio distortion, must I normalize between -3 and -5 dB ?

Thanks for your help,

1- You should first ask yourself, why do I want to normalize? And if you say Lead Vocal or Choir, you are talking about separate tracks in Cubase?
2- Normally you normalize to a value, so in your example you have 10 dB headroom (from -10 to 0) so you can increase the peak value to anything between the two. So a negative value between -10 and 0, though is never recommended…
3- Again, why normalize? Read at Bob Katz’s site all about mastering.

Arjan, great link, thank you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer, but I tried on an audio file, and the result doesn’t look like an “equalization” but a “gain input”,
then, how can I do to get equalization and not gain input with normalization ?

jfdcubase7

Thanks for your answer Arjan P, but I tried on an audio file, and the result doesn’t look like an “equalization” but a “gain input”,
then, how can I do to get equalization and not gain input with normalization ?

The term normalisation can be used in multiple ways (as also can equalisation). Are you simply trying to make the peak levels as high as possible, while keeping the relative levels of the tracks the same? Are you trying to make each track peak as high as possible? Are you trying to adjust the relative loudness of the tracks to be similar? Are you trying to increase the loudness of everything, while keeping their relationship but also avoiding clipping?

You need to learn about gain, limiting and compression, as well as distinguishing peak metering and loudness metering.

It may seem a little daunting at first, but it will serve you well once you start to understand it. Even knowing the terms to use helps in asking questions.

Paul