New unsupported Midex 3/8 drivers available

For users of legacy Steinberg hardware

Re: New unsupported Midex 3/8 drivers available

Postby toader » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Thank you so much for these drivers!!! I just installed them on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. They seem to work well so far... I've been trying to use the MIDI interface on my audio card which worked ok, but didn't have enough inputs and outputs, but now I can use my Midex8 again. Thank you so much!
toader

Postby sqwirral » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:21 pm

Where did the XP driver disappear to?
sqwirral

Postby MrSoundman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 pm

sqwirral wrote:Where did the XP driver disappear to?
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/Midex_8/Pc/Midex_8_1903/
Cubase 7.5.20 x64 | WaveLab 8.5.10 x64 | HALion 5.0.1 x64 | HSO 1.5 x64 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | Windows 7 x64
MrSoundman

Postby JoDell19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Is there a Windows 7 64 bit driver for Houston Controller?
Please listen to my tunes:

www.itunes.com/JoDellPlaymakerMusic

Spotify or Rdio: JoDell Playmaker Music
JoDell19

Postby MrSoundman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 pm

JoDell19 wrote:Is there a Windows 7 64 bit driver for Houston Controller?
It would be better if you start a new thread with that as your subject line instead of posting in this sticky .... seeing as your question doesn't relate to the Midex.
Cubase 7.5.20 x64 | WaveLab 8.5.10 x64 | HALion 5.0.1 x64 | HSO 1.5 x64 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | Windows 7 x64
MrSoundman

Postby clockworkbuddha » Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi also recently updated to W7 x64 and got Cubase 7 x64 - was delighted about x64 MIDEX8 drivers which instalkled fine and work....though Cubase7 was freezing on exit a lot. I did clean install, froze with no plug ins installed, tried everything until I tried disabling midex8 and it was fine..........

Have tried every setting in Cubase, still hangs, says all is well in device manager in W7.......

Could it be a conflict with another usb device?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks Alun
80G
clockworkbuddha

Postby GargoyleStudio » Thu May 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I have the drivers working absolutely fine on my Win7x64 machine. So far it even seems to be more reliable than XP too. But then I haven't used it so much yet. No lock-ups on exit either at the moment.

Given that that's not much help, here's a bunch of chat which is mostly irrelevant too....

To combat Midex8 unreliability in the past under XP, I have established a method of working where I steadfastly clear out unnecessary midi data. For example, I always erase Aftertouch unless I'm actually using it. I also thin out aftertouch and pitch-bend data by playing it in and then redrawing it using 'straight lines' using the orig data as a template, which causes the data to be drawn at 'quantize' intervals. Sometimes I use automation instead because it has straight lines I can edit much faster.

So, in effect I keep the amount of midi data down, and I have found this helps to avoid midi lock-up problems. Problems like the device going offline or simply seeming not work anymore, or notes being dropped.

I still have problems chasing bank and program changes though. And I still have a problem with Steinberg's choice of which controller numbers to chase and reset - they're not my choice! But that's Cubase not the midi device.

My Midex8 is plugged into an 8 port usb-powered hub which itself is on the end of a 5m cable usb cable. I have many other things plugged in everywhere, sometimes via extra hubs, including my Fantom, my Triton Extreme, another usb keyboard, wireless mouse and keyboard, hard disk docks, hard disks, 3xiLoks, Cb dongle, card reader, m-audio sound box etc. The only problem that I have is sometimes the 8 port hub needs unplugging and replugging to bring back the Midex8. Also sometimes my mouse and keyboard stops working and I have to plug it in somewhere else. You get used to these things, but mostly it all works smoothly, usually caused by plugging another USB device in somewhere.

And so far I have not had any lock-ups on exit on Win7x64+Cb7, but again, I've not yet really used it for the large projects which I've used on XP+Cb5 - where it did lock up for a long time most of the time. The next few months will be a test for the system as I'm working up my new projects that have been started on Cb7.

Mike.
[Win7x64, Cb7.5]
GargoyleStudio

Postby MrSoundman » Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm

With C7x64 on Win7x64 no problems at all, the Midex is connected all time time but directly into a USB port on the back of the computer, not through a hub. I previously had some "hang-on-exit" occurrences, but none since about 6.02 and none at all so far on C7, and that's not to say there's any evidence to suggest they were ever related to the Midex drivers, although I have had a suspicion it might be MIDI-related. In the meantime I've also eliminated all 32-bit VSTis so that might be even more relevant.

So very happy here with the Midex on C7x64/Win7x64. :D
MrSoundman

Postby Strophoid » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am

I'm also still running beautifully, nothing to complain about regarding the midex!
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Guest » Fri May 24, 2013 9:18 am

Strophoid wrote:I'm also still running beautifully, nothing to complain about regarding the midex!

nothing can possibly go wrong with the midex it's made by Steinberg :o :o :o ,quick batten the hatches ,bolt the doors , board up the windows and keep those BUGS out !!!!!!!!!!!

running perfect here as well on win 7- 64bit

Postby Elektrobolt » Sun May 26, 2013 4:42 pm

And on Windows 8 (with Cubase 7.04).
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby clockworkbuddha » Wed May 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks Gargoylestudio - did wonder if it was in fact my USB mouse/kbd conflicting with the Midex8 so it seems like the pc has frozen as opposed to it actually freezing.......

So - googled - and turned off power management for USB hubs on W7. Also plugged it into USB 2.0 hub on back of PC and everything else (inc keyb/mouse) is on other 3.0 USB ports

I've been opening and closing Cubase a few times tonight with baited breath and so far........it seems stable. Which is a big step forward having built a much more powerful PC with C7, it now all seems to work

Touch wood :)
80G
clockworkbuddha

Postby Philip Stone » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I have to say that I was really disappointed with Midex work in WIN7 with the new drivers. The Latency(jitter) was too high to work with hardware synthes, so I've decided to go back to WIN XP.

I don't know if anybody has the same problem.
Philip Stone

Previous

Return to Legacy Steinberg Hardware