UR 22 Phantom Power Noise

This section is about Steinberg's USB audio interfaces UR824, UR28M, UR44 and UR22

Re: UR 22 Phantom Power Noise

Postby Soapmak3r » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 am

To anyone having this hum issue, try this just out of curiosity (if you haven't already)...

On Windows 7 based systems (no idea about Mac) go to your control panel, then go to 'power options', then 'edit plan settings', then click 'change advanced power settings'.

A dialogue box will open in a new window called 'power options', open the branch 'USB settings', then the branch 'USB selective suspend setting'.

Here it should have two options, one is 'on battery' and the other is 'plugged in', set both (or just 'plugged in') to 'disabled'.

Also, go to the branch PCI Express, open it, then open 'link state power management' and set it to disabled as well on 'plugged in'.

You can also set 'turn off hard disk' to 'never' by entering the value of '0'.
Last edited by Soapmak3r on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i5 2500K OC @4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
HD 5850 1GB
Steinberg UR824 audio interface

Win7 64bit. Cubase 6.5. Reason 6.5. BFD2. EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete. EastWest Pianos Gold.
Soapmak3r

Postby Sackclothlamb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 am

The lack of specs always keep us guessing, but I will say this. A 24. buck laptop power supply has the same specs as a
124. buck version but that is probably where the similarity ends. Quality is different in several ways. HP will charge a lot for a 24 buck power converter/inverter, but the only interest toward the end user is, will this system safely
get past the warranty period.
Sackclothlamb

Postby Soapmak3r » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 am

Sackclothlamb wrote:The lack of specs always keep us guessing, but I will say this. A 24. buck laptop power supply has the same specs as a
124. buck version but that is probably where the similarity ends. Quality is different in several ways. HP will charge a lot for a 24 buck power converter/inverter, but the only interest toward the end user is, will this system safely

The hum is there regardless of whether the laptop power supply is connected or not. Basically, as long as you have phantom power engaged, and drive the pre-amp more than half way, there is hum.

If you drive the pre-amp to it's maximum the hum is -10db of gain. -20db of gain 3/4 full. That's unusable.
Last edited by Soapmak3r on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i5 2500K OC @4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
HD 5850 1GB

Win7 64bit. Cubase 6.5. Reason 6.5. BFD2. EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete. EastWest Pianos Gold.
Soapmak3r

Postby Sackclothlamb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 am

Soapmak3r wrote:To anyone having this hum issue, try this just out of curiosity (if you haven't already)...

On Windows 7 based systems (no idea about Mac) go to your control panel, then go to 'power options', then 'edit plan settings', then click 'change advanced power settings'.

A dialogue box will open in a new window called 'power options', open the branch 'USB settings', then the branch 'USB selective suspend setting'.

Here it should have two options, one is 'on battery' and the other is 'plugged in', set both (or just 'plugged in') to 'disabled'.

Also, go to the branch PCI Express, open it, then open 'link state power management' and set it to disabled as well on 'plugged in'.

You can also set 'turn off hard disk' to 'never' by entering the value of '0'.

Any and everything along this line is a step in the right direction. Just like disabling sound in the BIOS and
stopping Windows search service.
Sackclothlamb

Postby Sackclothlamb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 am

Soapmak3r wrote:
Sackclothlamb wrote:The lack of specs always keep us guessing, but I will say this. A 24. buck laptop power supply has the same specs as a

The hum is there regardless of whether the laptop power supply is connected or not.

I've found each system has it's own quirks and peculiarities. Of course, you may be looking at a problem with the UR22, or a combination of things. I guess doing all we can on our end and having an awareness of difficulties we may face gives us a leg up. Our UR22 has only been used with a dynamic mic, so I can't relate any more than my experience along that line. Sorry.
Sackclothlamb

Postby Soapmak3r » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 am

Sackclothlamb wrote:
Soapmak3r wrote:

The hum is there regardless of whether the laptop power supply is connected or not.

I've found each system has it's own quirks and peculiarities. Of course, you may be looking at a problem with the UR22, or a combination of things. I guess doing all we can on our end and having an awareness of difficulties we may face gives us a leg up. Our UR22 has only been used with a dynamic mic, so I can't relate any more than my experience along that line. Sorry.

Mine works fine with a dynamic mic as well. Completely silent. You should really try it with a condenser mic of some kind, or a few different ones.

After trying each of my mics, each one suffers from the hum, but the larger diaphragm mics seem to suffer the worst.

I am wondering if USB bus power is really the issue here, if a mains powered USB hub might solve the problem?
Core i5 2500K OC @4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
HD 5850 1GB

Soapmak3r

Postby Sackclothlamb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:04 am

I think I would try that as long as the hub is properly powered, but I don't know much about USB hubs - maybe they
are buss powered.

I hate that I can't DI the one guitar I wanted to through the UR824. I'll have to mic the amp for that one.
I haven't DI-ed the UR22 yet. I guess it's hard to get one device to do everything. I wish that wasn't so.
Sackclothlamb

Postby Sackclothlamb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 am

T-Bone Sutherland wrote:I recently purchased an UR 22 and I am experiencing a continuous and pulsating low hum when the onboard 48v phantom switch is engaged. The hum is very low and sounds like a test tone at about 30-50 hertz. The XLR cord and mic has been tested on an analog mixer with no problems. Is there perhaps a setting that I'm missing?

Thanks

I suppose that would be a 50 Hz Euro hum and a 60 Hz Americano type. That reminds that a monitor in the vicinity
can cause problems. 60 Hz (+) 60 Hz (+) 60 Hz (x) amplified.

I wonder if a power conditioner would solve this?
Sackclothlamb

Postby BriHar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:15 am

I wouldn't fixate completely on the power supply, there are different chipsets from a number of manufacturers which comprise the USB subsystem (TI (Texas Instruments) are one of the most common used), and some of these chipsets are known for causing problems with certain peripherals. This is perhaps an unknown problem hence the reason I mentioned before that you might try and find out which chipset is used in your PC/Laptop, and report this here or at least to Steinberg Service.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby strobo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm

BriHar wrote:I wouldn't fixate completely on the power supply, there are different chipsets from a number of manufacturers which comprise the USB subsystem (TI (Texas Instruments) are one of the most common used), and some of these chipsets are known for causing problems with certain peripherals. This is perhaps an unknown problem hence the reason I mentioned before that you might try and find out which chipset is used in your PC/Laptop, and report this here or at least to Steinberg Service.

I think that USB peripherals problems due to some chipsets are more about data speed issues than the power. Still, I agree that it is valid to report here the computer chipset model which problem occurs.

On UR22, seems to be a problem related to insufficient power when the Phantom Power is turned on. All the rest works fine.
strobo

Re: UR22 Low Hum

Postby rodipoet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:23 pm

My 2 rode M3 microphones produce a hum working on phantom power, using a battery works fine.
My dynamic phone is operating fine.
It must be a design problem of the UR22.
What is Steinberg going to do about this problem?
rodipoet

Postby strobo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:04 am

rodipoet wrote:My 2 rode M3 microphones produce a hum working on phantom power, using a battery works fine.
My dynamic phone is operating fine.
It must be a design problem of the UR22.
What is Steinberg going to do about this problem?
Hi, rodipoet.

What is your computer? Laptop x desktop? Do you know the chipset model? Have you tried on others desktop and laptops?

Steinberg Support answered me that with the only one returned unit with this noise issue, they did tests on multiple machines and don't have the problem... They said that in similar cases they had seen - including other brands - the cause is usually on a specific system and caused by computer's USB power system.

I also think that must be a design problem, maybe related to insufficient power only when the Phantom Power is activated.
strobo

Postby rodipoet » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 am

My desktop asus p5k with an Intel P35/ICH9 chipset.
The problem exists only in phantom power mode. :(
rodipoet

Postby BriHar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:34 am

Although people often choose to ignore this when I mention it, It can sometimes help by plugging into different USB sockets (and in this case de-reinstalling the driver. You see the various USB ports are generally controlled with different interrupts (IRQs) and depending on what these are shared with, can often be a source of noise, also some ports (often those on the front of the computer) are established with an expansion module, which runs a cable from a connector on the MB to the module - this cable can pick up induced noise.
There's no guarantee this port switching will work, but it's worth a try.
Unfortunately the motherboard manuals rarely go into detail these days regarding the manufacturer of the actual chips used on them (we're not referring to the proverbial "chipset" usually referenced in the manual - this has more to do with the BIOs, and nothing to do with the USB subarchitecture. This can then only be done by visual inspection of the chips themselves on the board, they will usually be in the vicinity of the actual USB risers. Best to get someone familiar with computers on a hardware level to check this.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby Soapmak3r » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:30 pm

I tested it on all available USB ports on my laptop, but the problem remained as long as I had phantom power engaged. It is an Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm55.html

I also tested it on my desktop machine which has a Gigabyte motherboard. Model:
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 (rev. 1.0)
Intel® Z68 Chipset

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3850#dl

I had exactly the same issue on both systems.

As I said, my main desktop DAW uses a UR824, which does not have any problem with any of my mics and there is no grounding problem in the system.

Steinberg hasn't replied to my support email, in which I detailed all of the things I had tested up to that point. Now I have tested even more, and I am 100% certain it is not a fault in my system(s). I can only conclude that the device is faulty (or poorly designed/wasn't tested on a wide range of devices).
Core i5 2500K OC @4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
HD 5850 1GB

Soapmak3r

Postby Helge Vogt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Dear all,

The Hardware design team is currently investigating this occurrence in conjunction with condenser microphones and phantom power.

Please bear with us, we‘ll update you as soon as we have relevant information.

Best regards,
Helge
Helge Vogt - Team Leader Product Marketing Group
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Helge Vogt

Postby T-Bone Sutherland » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 pm

All,

I have confirmed that the Phantom power noise that I've been experiencing was, indeed, a poor ground within my condenser microphone. A ground wire had come loose inside in the mic; I re-soldered it and tested the mic with no hum.

Thanks to all who contributed in helping me find a resolution to my problem.

Cheers,

T-bone
T.S.

Cubase AI6 | UR 22| Thinkpad T410 | MXL 603 | AKG D750 | Fender Standard Telecaster | Peavey Delta Blues
T-Bone Sutherland

Postby strobo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 am

T-Bone Sutherland wrote:All,

I have confirmed that the Phantom power noise that I've been experiencing was, indeed, a poor ground within my condenser microphone. A ground wire had come loose inside in the mic; I re-soldered it and tested the mic with no hum.

Thanks to all who contributed in helping me find a resolution to my problem.

Cheers,

T-bone

The hum noise you experienced before fix your mic was the same as the mp3 samples posted by others members (below)?

Have you checked if now there's absolutely no type of low hum, even being much lower than before?

strobo

Postby strobo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:28 am

Helge Vogt wrote:Dear all,

The Hardware design team is currently investigating this occurrence in conjunction with condenser microphones and phantom power.

Please bear with us, we‘ll update you as soon as we have relevant information.

Best regards,
Helge
Hi,

Any updates? Found the issue?
strobo

Postby loorenz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 am

Same problem for me with the UR22 on my computer.
When I turn on the phatom power switch, there's a really audible low hum in my monitors even if there no microphone plugged in the UR22.
I have tried both with my laptop and desktop mac and this noise is still present on both computer.

I have the UR824 and no such problem with this unit.
loorenz

Postby Stefan Schreiber » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Dear all,

After intense investigations our development team is absolutely confident to find a technical solution for those customers who encounter a problem.

Please bear with us a little while longer. We're aiming to provide all the necessary information on how to proceed by mid-May.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber
Stefan Schreiber - Product Marketing Manager Hardware
Hamburg, Germany

Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!
Stefan Schreiber

Postby JASM » Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Stefan Schreiber wrote:After intense investigations our development team is absolutely confident to find a technical solution for those customers who encounter a problem.

Please bear with us a little while longer. We're aiming to provide all the necessary information on how to proceed by mid-May.

Stefan Schreiber
Steinberg GmbH

Hi Stefan,

I would like to purchase this audio interface for mostly voice recording using condenser microphones. However, this issue is putting things on hold and forcing me to settle for other choices. Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tony
JASM

Postby Stefan Schreiber » Mon May 13, 2013 10:42 am

Dear all,

Now further information regarding a solution for the hum noise issue is available.
Please take a look at the corresponding announcement.
We hope that the solution we are providing at this stage will be to your convenience.
Thank you for bearing with us.

Best regards,
Stefan
Hamburg, Germany

Stefan Schreiber

Postby loorenz » Tue May 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Stefan

My UR22 serial number is YETI01273, so if I understand the announcement, my unit have to be modified.
Could you please confirm (there's no red dot beside the serial number).

I leave in France, how can I do to send you back the unit ? DHL is only for Germany.

Please let me know.
Thank you.

Another thing about the UR22 unit.
Have you read this topic : http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=39212
What do think of that ?
loorenz

Postby Stefan Schreiber » Wed May 15, 2013 8:42 am

Hi loorenz,

Yes, your unit is in the serial number range that we will provide modification service for.
DHL is also providing international shipment service. Please refer to the dedicated web page for further information on the procedure. There you will find a link to the DHL pick-up service. This should work in France as well.

Best regards,
Stefan
Hamburg, Germany

Stefan Schreiber

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg UR Series