Control Room - Direct monitoring - cue mixes

Hello Alexis and Ross and all you MR816 users ;

I am glad your asking these direct monitoring and “no and low” Headphone Cue latency questions because it seems
very few of us has figured it out and most are frustrated and stuck… I’m on a mission to create world class -“zero” or almost zero latency headphone cue mixes here inDallas TX. Seems like, “Marcus” at Norburry Brook studios in UK is the clearest on the “How to’s and Why’s” and is successful.

OK I use 2 MR 816csx’s, they are Fire Wired and linked together with SPDIF and FW as Steinberg recommends. Everything shows up as it is supposed to in DEVICES and I use the Control Room and the Headphone CUE sends very successfully with EFFECTS as it was designed to be used out to 6 satellite boxes in my 4 room studio via CAT5e. OK the 4 mono sends and 1 GLOBAL stereo in 5/6 ( in CUE cans) works fine. BUT, there is still latency and comb filtering going on in the HeadPhones. (Very fast QUAD computer, ASSUS motherboard) and latency of 3.78 at 128 buffer.

So If I can still use the Cubase Cue Sends with DIRECT Monitoring can anyone explain it to me and perhaps MAP it out. I’m close but still not successful.

Can I send via Direct Monitoring out the ADAT outputs 1 and 2 any prefader audio. I’d be satisfied even if I lost 2 channels per MR816. If I can do this I will send this “pre-fader” audio to a completely separate and stand alone digital mixer (X32core) and build my ZERO latency Headphone CUE mixes in the offline mixer and then send them out the ULTRANET port to be redistributed thru out my studio.

I track alot of rhythm sections here in Dallas and as I said above MY mission is World Class Headphone Cue mixes especially for ensemble players and vocalists.

Any Help appreciated and thank-you in advance.

Ken Boome in Dallas TX

214-321-BOOM (studio)