Postby Otto Dix » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 pm

be bump a lula
MacPro 6 x 3,33Ghz; 10.6.8; 32 bit
SSD 1: System & Nuendo ; HD 1: Audio ; SSD 2: VSTis
Apogee Symphony AD 16X / DA 16X
Otto Dix

Re: cmc qc midi activity spiking

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm

wel i certainly am not buying any more cmc's unles this issue is fixed !

Postby JMCecil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 pm

I've disconnected mine. Between the lack of a fine mode lock for the QC knobs the MIDI spike and the fact that I can't seem to perform automation functions with them very well, it makes them more irritating than useful.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm

i completely agree ,i find the dials are very fiddley to use (to small for large hands) so ive finally bought a controller keyboard instead , there has been no replys on this thread from steinberg and life goes on with out them so if they want to loose buisness by egnoring these little things then off to other manufacturers i go !

it's a shame as ive just purchased a ci2+ for the laptop which will be used unlike the qc which is sitting in the corner gathering dust !

Postby JMCecil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:19 pm

We'll see what happens in upcoming releases. I don't think it would take much to make them more functional. Hopefully, they are working on it.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Otto Dix » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 pm

let it bump
Otto Dix

Postby Otto Dix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 pm

wham bump thank you mam'
Otto Dix

Postby Geppastro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 am

Seems still not addressed with the latest update "TOOLS for CMC Version 1.0.2 (Mac OS X) and 1.0.1-2 (Windows)"
:evil:

Paolo
Paolo
Hardware: i3-550 3.2 Ghz ; 4 Gig RAM ; Asus P7H55-M/USB3 ; Echo Gina 24 PCI sound card ; Emagic amt8 8x8 midi interface WORKING ON WIN7 32 BIT (serial connection); Steinberg CMC-TP.
Software: Windows 7 Enterprise-SP1 (32 bit) / Cubase7.5 v7.5.10 (32 bit)
Monitors: Genelec 8030
Geppastro

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Geppastro wrote:Seems still not addressed with the latest update "TOOLS for CMC Version 1.0.2 (Mac OS X) and 1.0.1-2 (Windows)"
:evil:

Paolo

and still no answer form steinberg , o well it's their lose

Postby Stefan Schreiber » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi,

We are currently investigating this issue.
I just want to briefly explain this functionality that apparently some of you find disturbing:

This feature is similar to the MIDI spec "ACTIVE SENSE" with some extensions. It's a functionality that enables the CMCs to detect a sudden interruption of data communication and as a result (for example) turns off all lights. This helps users to recognize that their CMC is no longer controlling Cubase when the connection has for what reasons ever been interrupted.
From the software side Cubase provides visual feedback that the connection to the CMC is constantly OK. This is what the MIDI meter is showing all the time.

It's a functionality which has been around for nearly 25 years and that we find is a necessity.
But of course we fully understand that some of you might find the constant blinking of the MIDI meter in Cubase somehow irritating.
We are aware of this topic and we will take a deeper look into that behaviour since there are several other topics related to this that we need to take under consideration as well.

Regarding sysex dumping there shouldn't be a problem with CMC and Cubase. The visual feedback implies that there are other MIDI data that might affect the sysex data recording if the routings are not set appropriately.

I hope I could give you some more insight and we will keep you up to date.

Cheers,
Stefan Schreiber - Product Marketing Manager Hardware
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!
Stefan Schreiber

Postby Strophoid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for taking it in consideration Stefan :)
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Geppastro » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks Stefan. Yes I know what Active Sense is and what it does. I simply would like to disable the display of it at will. I'd suggest a checkbox in:

Devices -> Device Setup -> Remote Devices -> Steinberg CMC-??

A lot of space is available at the right side of "Enable Auto Select" for an additional "Enable in MIDI Activity Meter", or whatever you would like to name it (enabled by default).

Many thanks for listening.

Paolo
Paolo
Hardware: i3-550 3.2 Ghz ; 4 Gig RAM ; Asus P7H55-M/USB3 ; Echo Gina 24 PCI sound card ; Emagic amt8 8x8 midi interface WORKING ON WIN7 32 BIT (serial connection); Steinberg CMC-TP.
Geppastro

Postby cubace » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Stefan Schreiber wrote:Hi,

I just want to briefly explain this functionality that apparently some of you find disturbing:

This feature is similar to the MIDI spec "ACTIVE SENSE" with some extensions. It's a functionality that enables the CMCs to detect a sudden interruption of data communication and as a result (for example) turns off all lights. This helps users to recognize that their CMC is no longer controlling Cubase when the connection has for what reasons ever been interrupted.
From the software side Cubase provides visual feedback that the connection to the CMC is constantly OK. This is what the MIDI meter is showing all the time.

It's a functionality which has been around for nearly 25 years and that we find is a necessity.
But of course we fully understand that some of you might find the constant blinking of the MIDI meter in Cubase somehow irritating.
We are aware of this topic and we will take a deeper look into that behaviour since there are several other topics related to this that we need to take under consideration as well.

Regarding sysex dumping there shouldn't be a problem with CMC and Cubase. The visual feedback implies that there are other MIDI data that might affect the sysex data recording if the routings are not set appropriately.

Cheers,

Well the problem is cubase, and the solution is fairly simple. Have a prefernce settings where the user
can select what should counts as a activity. A matrix per midi port and message type. A other solution is to this in the device-setup-> midi port. And please add add a state for the port (call it system or something) that makes the port hidden. Not like the idiotic function "visable" that disable binding to controllers.
cubace

Postby Otto Dix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Stefan, thank you for your work to resolve this annoying issue. Wish all the best for you to find a solution.
Otto Dix

Postby Geppastro » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:12 pm

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/archive/2012/03/21/article/cmc-update-announced-1905.html

Thanks for the forthcoming update, but: will this midi activity spiking issue be addressed with the update?

Paolo
Paolo
Geppastro

Postby JMCecil » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 pm

and fine mode locking! I could plug them back in with on/off control, no endless MIDI activity and the ability to lock fine control. Especially on the QC.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Geppastro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Stefan Schreiber wrote:Hi,

Cheers,

Same old irritating behavior on this issue after installing CMC 1.1.0 :evil: . I'd be very happy to know why addressing this wasn't possible. Thanks.

Paolo
Paolo
Geppastro

Postby Shinta215 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Geppastro wrote:I'd be very happy to know why addressing this wasn't possible.

Just taking a few guesses here:

Stefan Schreiber wrote:It's a functionality which has been around for nearly 25 years and that we find is a necessity.

So they're not going to remove it.

The change would have to be made on the Cubase side of things (to add an option to not display output of certain types of MIDI data). But then you couldn't rely on the MIDI output indicator to be reliable (as it's not reporting all MIDI data output).
The option would have to be don't report certain data being sent to a certain port.
But it's still something in Cubase, not the CMCs or the CMC extension.
Last edited by Shinta215 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinta215

Postby Geppastro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Shinta215 wrote:The change would have to be made on the Cubase side of things (to add an option to not display output of certain types of MIDI data). But then you couldn't rely on the MIDI output indicator to be reliable (as it's not reporting all MIDI data output).

A lot of Midi instruments continuously send MIDI active sensing (certainly, almost all my instruments do: I can see that through my amt8 MIDI interface leds). Cubase MIDI input indicator never shows that, and I certainly have never ever had any problem with that... Why that should be different with CMCs?
Paolo
Geppastro

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 pm

well this is getting annoying as i like the cmc series and am thinking of buying some more BUT the bloody midi indicator still needs to be sorted how many months later ?

Postby hemiole » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 am

So they missed a chance here.

I know that my beloved old Kawai K4 - I use that nowadays only as a keyboard, but no more producing sounds -
emits all the time MIDI active sensing - that drove me crazy, when I wrote my own MIDI processing software
but I never saw that in Cubase - since Cubase 1.0 on my ATARI ST.

Why is it so difficult to put a filter into the driver?
hemiole

Postby Otto Dix » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:43 pm

whole lotta bump
Otto Dix

Postby HJAO » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:02 pm

I have also requested this "feature" to be selectable:
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22738

This problem only occurs in my Win7 64 setup, not on MAC. But on MAC the devices aren't even recognised, which is a completely different matter :roll:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cubase 6.5.x & Cubase 7.0.x, Intel MAC 10.6.8 Snow Leopard / PC Windows 7 64b, Intel i7-2700k, 16 GB, 256 GB SSD, 2 x 2TB HD's, DynAudio BM12A monitors, Focusrite 24 PRO DSP audio interface, Roland JV-30 keyboard, Roland JV-880 & Vintage Synths board, Roland XV-5050 & SRX-03 & SRX-06 boards, Guitars by Ibanez, Fender & Takamine.
HJAO

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 am

well it looks like we are not going to get an answer on this ,mind you it loks like steinberg have abandoned the forum just like they have abandoned certain hardware :roll: :roll:

Postby Geppastro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Unfortunately, we got an answer (a disappointing one though):

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22738#p159261

"The "spiking" of midi-signals" is not a problem but a feature by design. You should not turn off the CMC's midi output. You can however hiode the MIDI activity meter in the transportbar."

It seems they are not even considering our request: please Steinberg, don't remove the "feature by design" if you like it, just make its display switchable (on/off) for us who find it extremely irritating!!! Please!!!
Paolo
Geppastro

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg CMC Series