VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Postby rokster71 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Hello all,
I would like to share my experiences so far with vst connect se and hopefully find a solution to my issues with it. I am based in the uk and my cousin/gtr talent, lives in miami. I have used all manner of programs in the past with horrible results so was waiting for this for a long time to come around. My net is 100meg down / 10 meg up, cousin has 20 down and 5 up maybe better. We can connect first time every time with no disconnects. Video is fine talkback is fine, i can control his side etc, change settings and the like. The issue is in the recorded audio quality regardless of bitrate, buffer size, video switched off and all in between. I get drop outs, glitching, silence, even though the buffer indicators for both sides are solid blue. However the material i do receive is sample accurate, so the program is working as expected its just the audio quality is nowhere near usable for me. It also sounds like digital clipping is present even though all signals are well below levels that would induce this. We keep trying vst connect hoping to stumble across something we may have missed but i think i have exhausted all avenues outwith the program. I can apprecciate the distance involved etc but i dont think that affects vst connect as the latency compensations side of things takes care of that. i am not looking to jam with this, i am purely trying to record the talent with acceptable audio quality. i.e no drop outs or glitching or clipping. i would love to hear from others who are having brilliant results and not just ones with problems as both sides are valuable to learn from. I cant however rule out that my computer system may be the cause to this issue. I have no problems with running and using C7 localy with large or small projects, no latency issues no drop outs etc. All seems to be correct on the miami side. has anyone used vst connect over such extreme distances and what was your experiences ? Would love to hear. I hope i am just one of the minority that hasnt quite got it sorted. For me this is the way forward. So thx in advance for any help or pointers as to what could be the cause of my particular problem.
i7 920, 6gig, GA-EX58-UD3R, mr816csx, cc121, C5,C6, C7
Trilian, omnisphere, stylus rmx expanded
korg legacy analog & digital
Komplete 6
Arturia anniversary pack
Halion Sonic
Tannoy reveal 5, fatar sl880, gems2 roland xv3080
rokster71

Postby peterknight » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm

musicullum wrote:
peterknight wrote:I'm having a tough time w/ my setup w/ VST Connect. I do have active connectivity to the performer and talkback is working - actually recording is working as well. My problem is that what I'm recording seems to be everything I'm hearing - this includes the instrument tracks that I'm playing, the performer's VOX, the reverb, etc..,

I'm not sure if this is how its supposed to work? I was assuming this should record the performer dry (even though reverb may be set in the VST Connect window and I'm playing the instrument tracks).

Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Peter

Most probably, you have the "Mon" switch in the Performers' panel activated. This is only meant for checking what the Performer actually hears, you don't want to record that. I guess there should be a warning when it is activated while recording, OTOH recording the Performers' cue mix is a valid option for checking sample accurate sync.
Hope that helps, if not feel free to ask again or write a PM.

Thanks Musicullum. I'll have to give this a try!
-Peter
peterknight

Postby musicullum » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

rokster: all seems to be set up correctly...I sent you a PM so hopefully we can sort it out. Long distance shouldn't be a problem because of latency compensation, as you already pointed out.
musi
musicullum

Postby madsv » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 am

I did a short test session yesterday with a singer living about 500 km away from me.
She used her macbook on wifi with the built-in soundcard and though this is not recommended everything went smoothly - only one small glitch which I'm sure will go away when she gets a better soundcard.
This is the future! :-)
Mads
--
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) Socket LGA1366
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM
ATI XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
RME Fireface 800, Windows 7/64 bit prof.
CB 7.5.20, Wavelab 8.5, Sibelius 7.5
madsv

Postby madsv » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 am

I don't know what happened.. - but after updating to 7.03 VST connect doesn't work anymore :-(
I didn't change anything. All is set up as it should be - we can hear each other fine and the performers track show activity when she sings. But the moment I press play or record she is muted and nothing gets on the track. She still hears the music.
Anybody else with this problem ?
Mads
--
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM
madsv

Postby Dj Aaron B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 am

im connected with a mac pro user and im on CB7 with win8 we can see each other but I keep getting a wrong sample rate box coming up.. we are both set on 48,000 from top to bottom on preferances.. but still no audio
Dj Aaron B

Postby madsv » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Dj Aaron B wrote:im connected with a mac pro user and im on CB7 with win8 we can see each other but I keep getting a wrong sample rate box coming up.. we are both set on 48,000 from top to bottom on preferances.. but still no audio

Sample rate is fine here.
Do you have sound when transport is not running ?
Everything works fine until I press play or record - then the performer is muted.
Mads
--
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM
madsv

Postby musicullum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Dj Aaron B wrote:im connected with a mac pro user and im on CB7 with win8 we can see each other but I keep getting a wrong sample rate box coming up.. we are both set on 48,000 from top to bottom on preferances.. but still no audio

The VST Connect SE plugin sends a message to the Performer application, asking it to change its sample rate to the Cubase rate. Usually this works automatically, but some audio interfaces can not be switched to another rate externally. In this (rare) case, the performer has to manually set the audio device to the same rate that the engineer with Cubase has.
musi
musicullum

Postby musicullum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 pm

madsv wrote:
Sample rate is fine here.
Do you have sound when transport is not running ?
Everything works fine until I press play or record - then the performer is muted.
Mads
--

Mads, I don't think this has anything to do with your case. We'll connect and find out soon :-)
musi
musicullum

Postby musicullum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

madsv wrote:I don't know what happened.. - but after updating to 7.03 VST connect doesn't work anymore :-(
I didn't change anything. All is set up as it should be - we can hear each other fine and the performers track show activity when she sings. But the moment I press play or record she is muted and nothing gets on the track. She still hears the music.
Anybody else with this problem ?
Mads
--

We sorted it out - thanks for the great cooperation, Mads!
It was because the Remote Latency setting was set to 0.1 seconds, with no appearent reason - that's way too few, and we'll make sure that it can't be set that low in upcoming versions. Remember it takes time for the headphone mix to travel to the Performer, and it takes time from the Performer back to Cubase, both with latency and the internet in between which is often unpredictable. So you should set it to 1.0 seconds or so to be on the safe side.
musi
musicullum

Postby Dj Aaron B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Mmmm I can't stop this box that keeps popping up and saying wrong sample rate.. The strange thing is I'm getting the message and not the performer :( so frustrating we've both tried 44.100 and 48000 but no joy
Dj Aaron B

Postby musicullum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 am

Dj Aaron B wrote:Mmmm I can't stop this box that keeps popping up and saying wrong sample rate.. The strange thing is I'm getting the message and not the performer :( so frustrating we've both tried 44.100 and 48000 but no joy

What is the performers' audio hardware? And could you possibly let him try some other audio device, or check with another Performer?
musi
musicullum

Postby ninjafreddan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Musi

I had my first real online writing session today using VST Connect SE and it was quite productive. The connection worked flawlessly for several hours without a glitch and the sound quality was great.

Here are some thought and suggestions for improvements.

musicullum wrote:
ninjafreddan wrote:If there was a play option available that lets me as the producer sing along to the music and send it in sync to the vocal talent, it would make collaboration easier.

Good point...we might have a "rehearse" button which keeps it in "chat mode" even when playback is engaged.

I'd say that a [Rehearse] mode is a very important function that needs to be added. Because right now only the talent can express musical ideas when Cubase plays the project. The producer has no easy way of being creative without first recording the ideas. Adding a rehearse mode which enables the sound from the tracks in input monitoring mode to be sent to the "To Performer" group track and sent to the collaborator, will enable the producer or sound engineer to add ideas in a creative way. Please add this functionality soon! :)

Communication is everything, so please add a talkback lock function for the producer so that he or she always can talk with the talent. No matter if Cubase is in playback, record or rehearse mode. Both parties need to wear headphones anyway, so talkback latency won't be a problem during playback or recording.

Cheers
Fred
Last edited by ninjafreddan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 7, Wavelab 8, ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor, 32Gb DDR RAM, UAD-2 QUAD (all plug-ins), RME RayDAT, Benchmark DAC2, Antelope Orion32, Mytek 8x192, Mytek Stereo192 ADC, Euphonix MCMIX, Novation Remote SL61 and lots of funky outboard and analogue synths.
ninjafreddan

Postby Dj Aaron B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 am

Mmmm I can't stop this box that keeps popping up and saying wrong sample rate.. The strange thing is I'm getting the message and not the performer :( so frustrating we've both tried 44.100 and 48000 but no joy
Dj Aaron B New Member Posts: 24Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 am
well this problem has been solved but I don't really know why :oops: while I was having this issue I now realise that I had HP audio drivers waiting to be upgraded and waiting for a reboot...? I cant find any other answer for why it kept saying we are on different sample rates when we were ? anyway now the wrong sample rate box has disappeared when we connect there's still no audio. when I click on the settings wheel the bottom box just says Audio (not connected) we both have our cards and devices set right :(
Dj Aaron B

Postby musicullum » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 am

Dj Aaron B wrote:anyway now the wrong sample rate box has disappeared when we connect there's still no audio. when I click on the settings wheel the bottom box just says Audio (not connected) we both have our cards and devices set right :(

That is...in the Performer settings in the Cubase plugin? "Not connected" means just that...what do the other items in that view say? Did you try a second time, mean to say does it happen every time? You understood that the "Performer" settings in the Cubase VST Connect SE plugin are remote controlling the items on the Performers' computer, did you?
If all else fails feel free to write a PM. So far we sorted out each and every problem :-)
musi
musicullum

Postby knuckle47 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 am

I'm just thinking out loud....would anyone be interested in setting up a forum song that can be passed around to a few individuals who might enjoy experimenting with VST' Connect SE. I'm more of a player user than an engineer user , guitarist, and have some free time now that summer is approaching. I won't take the lead on this yet,I am still in the process of getting started but after reading 6 pages of posts, seems do able
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby Keezix » Wed May 15, 2013 2:13 am

I would actually be highly interested if at some point they can also get this to function within the same local network. My studio consists of two separate rooms with separate computers in separate buildings, but with the same Internet account. If in the future there be someway to link them using VST Connect, that would be awesome! :D
Cubase 7.5.30 (32 bit)
Apple Mac Pro Intel Xeon Quad-core w/4 gig RAM
running OSX 10.9.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
Apple iMac - Intel Core i3 w/4 gig RAM,
also running OSX 10.9.5
Alesis io|14
A couple dozen MIDI devices, including 64 channel digital mixing console
Keezix

Postby NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed May 15, 2013 2:16 am

Keezix wrote:I would actually be highly interested if at some point they can also get this to function within the same local network. My studio consists of two separate rooms with separate computers in separate buildings, but with the same Internet account. If in the future there be someway to link them using VST Connect, that would be awesome! :D

A "pro" version has been mentioned at additional cost, which will work on a private LAN. I asked the same question a few dozen pages back!
Robin
Join Us At The Forest

| Cubase 7.5.1 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win7 64 |
NorthWood MediaWorks

Postby Joshua Matlock » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 pm

I would personally recommend both users be connected directly to their router or modem via a physical ethernet connection. A wireless connection on either user's end is not ideal and will not give you the same performance.

Also a VST Connect SE to VST Performer connection requires two different IP addresses.
Joshua Matlock
Steinberg US Support

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Joshua Matlock

Postby madsv » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 am

Joshua Matlock wrote:I would personally recommend both users be connected directly to their router or modem via a physical ethernet connection. A wireless connection on either user's end is not ideal and will not give you the same performance.

Of course this is best - but nevertheless I did it with a wireless performer on a not so fast connection and it worked flawlessly :-)
Mads
--
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM
madsv

Postby DiSky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:39 am

Hello,
I always get "server not responding" when I try to login. Does this mean that ports 5111 to 5113 are not open (it should be now) or can this be also a bandwidth test ? I'm connect via with a cable and the router (from my provider) is set to open this ports.

Did anyone have been blocked by this error before ?

Thanks in advance !
Windows7 64
Cubase 7
EastWest Orchestra
DiSky

Postby musicullum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:47 am

DiSky wrote:Hello,
I always get "server not responding" when I try to login. Does this mean that ports 5111 to 5113 are not open (it should be now) or can this be also a bandwidth test ? I'm connect via with a cable and the router (from my provider) is set to open this ports.

Thanks in advance !

I assume your firewall is configured to not allow UDP at all. The connection server is always available, it's just as if you open a webpage in your browser. The only difference is that it uses UDP. It certainly has nothing to do with low bandwidth, because for logging in, only a few bytes are exchanged.
With the latest versions, port forwarding should no longer be necessary except in very rare cases.
Do you happen to have some extra firewall installed?
musi
musicullum

Postby Tiller » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:45 pm

musicullum wrote:
DiSky wrote:Hello,

Thanks in advance !

I assume your firewall is configured to not allow UDP at all. The connection server is always available, it's just as if you open a webpage in your browser. The only difference is that it uses UDP. It certainly has nothing to do with low bandwidth, because for logging in, only a few bytes are exchanged.
With the latest versions, port forwarding should no longer be necessary except in very rare cases.
Do you happen to have some extra firewall installed?

Hi all

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not with VST connect.

I ran into issues running a home based server that I wanted to log into. The method was to connect to a server on the web and it would redirect the dynamic IP and ports to my internet connection(ISP). After many hours of port forwarding, reading about it, etc, i discovered that my setup was running 2 NATs.
NAT = Network address translator
Its purpose is to translate the incoming IP and ports (WAN) to your internal IP addresses on your LAN.
NAT # 1 is in my modem's firewall and NAT # 2 is in my main router. I don't use the modem as a router or wireless for personal reasons. Even with setting forwarding on both devices, the uPNP would not work.

To resolve the uPNP not being able to set up port forwarding correctly i disabled the firewall on the modem and set the DMZ to my router's IP and let it do all the security stuff etc. This fixed my server issues and i have had no issues with VST connect except i want to run it internally.

I have some ideas that i am exploring, to get it to work internally, cuz i want to use my laptop in another room as a capture device. trying to eliminate cables and speakers etc in the other room. It just seems to make more sense. One cat6e cable to my router and all the clutter and noise is minimized.

Please be careful when playing with your network setup, and don't shoot the messenger.
I'm just sharing my experience.

Gotta go play and record. :D
Cheers
"If It ain't broke, keep trying"
Asus P8H77M-Pro (i5 2500k) / win7 pro 64,
Cubase 7.5.20, Roland Studio capture (UA-1610,-16X10usb)
Akai EiE Pro (4x4usb), Avid MC Transport, Fader Port, Roland SC55,
Yamaha HS8s, Yorkville YX15/PX1700
Tiller

Postby Freddie H » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Listen up folks! :)

"server not responding" or "another program are in use of the same socket"- type or error can may be nothing to do with your own setup or Internet connection.

It seem that sometimes it can be about STEINBERG-NET servers that are completely down for the moment, that cause this error messages. It can be a good idea to try and see if you can web surf to Steinberg's website to exclude this kind of problems.

This happen yesterday Saturday 20th of July 2013 approximately between 8-10 PM Standard Central European time. Both the Steinberg-Website and the FORUM was completely down and also "VST Connect" couldn't be used or connect during this hours.

Because of that it cause all kinds of strange error message when you tried to use of "VST Connect". It even followed with a long one that urge you contact Steinberg if this errors continues. ;)

I don't know exactly how this work but its seem to that "VST Connect" need Steinberg severs to functional correctly. After all the Severs finally were up again, "VST Connect" work perfectly with out any problems again without me changing anything in my setup.
It seem that "VST Connect" need to contact a specific Steinberg Server to get the random code or confirmation of some sort.

Steinberg tech knows exactly more about how this actually do work but I guess they will not explain further for security reasons. I'm glad if they don't, we don't want someone to crack and intercept our sessions.

Then after connection has been established I guess the session work in "peer to peer"-mode between the two clients.

I hope it help solve some of the confusions. ;)

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H

Postby DiSky » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks musicullum,
But after many hours trying to get this work, I still get this "Connection Error" - Server not responding.

Also, Cubase does not connect to Steinberg Hub, do you think this could be related ?

This is without firewall, and internet works fine.

Do you think that trying to have a UPNP server working with iTunes could be something to try ?

Thanks !

DiSky
Windows7 64
Cubase 7
EastWest Orchestra
DiSky

PreviousNext

Return to General