Cubase 7.0.5 discussion

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Cubase / Cubase Artist / Cubase Elements 7.0.5 available

Postby theRoyal1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 pm

etl17 wrote:Can we have an official word from Steinberg explaining the advantages of the new design and the justification for removing valuable information from the UI? It's not really a matter of personal preference or resistance to change when existing crucial functionality is severed in such a manner.
I'll give it to you.

It's change for the sake of change...which IMO is the most A## Backwards reason to change anything.

Something is supposed to evolve, not devolve and make the user work harder to get from point A>>B.

There are way , way , WAAY TOO MANY instances of this type of thinking within C7.
The sad part is that it seems Steinaha doesn't really thinks so and plan for us to just "get used to it"

Well you know what, that's when people start looking somewhere else.
While many of us are not at that point yet, with ish like this going on we're starting to weigh options.
Custom WS: i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz | 32GB GEIL Evo Corsa DDR3 @ 1600 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | MSI BigBang XPower II | Enermax Platimax 1200w 80+ Platinum | 2x SanDiskSSDX12 + 2x WD2500 HDD+ 2xWD4001 HDD | Corsair H100 | Coolermaster Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 7.5.20 64bit | CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI
Main Gear: Access Virus Ti ,Virus C | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Roland XV-5080, JV-2080 | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU 2408mk3, MidiXT | Mackie HR824 | Seiki SE50UY04
theRoyal1

Re: Cubase 7.0.5 discussion

Postby Norbury Brook » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 pm

JMCecil wrote:
G-string wrote:
JMCecil wrote:I have a 30 inch high resolution monitor as my main and 2 x 24 inch monitors on either side, a 17" laptop, a 15" laptop. The mixer looks like *flower* on all of them.

are you sure it's not your glasses causing the problem , all looks clear and fine in HD here .The mixers not perfect YET but it's stable and useable but mind you I don't need to record 1000 tracks to make one song ;)

That's funny, no matter how big my monitor is "Tr...l1" doesn't tell me anything. The black color with no track separation doesn't get any better. The barely discernible selected track hue is annoying. Although the data font is now improved, the image fonts for all of the controls are still a fuzzy mess. I could really care less one way or the other on the new mixer format ... it doesn't bother me. The usability and the view ability just needs a lot of help.

By the way, I'm in my 50s and have never had to wear glasses. I can read the small print at the bottom of a menu in a dark restaurant (have to do it for my wife from time to time:D ). Maybe my problem is that I can actually see.

jim,

I have a similar set up to you and all I can say is the mixer is clear and sharp here.

I agree the track naming needs to be changed but clarity wise I'm wondering if you're affected by the odd graphix issue someone else posted on this thread.

I have no black colour or lack of channel separation here.

MC
Asus X79 pro | 3930x @4.6 hex core | 32 gigs DDR3 | Crucial M4 SSD-win8 x64 | Samsung 840 SSDs | Spinpoint F3's | Poco | VSS3 DVR2 Non Lin | UAD 2| 2x MR 816 | UR824 | full CMC selection |2x Euphonix MC Mix | MC transport |Cubase 7|Nuendo 6 |Windows 8.1 x64
Norbury Brook

Postby Steve Helstrip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Tp3 wrote:I have an audio track called "funny people roll-off" and all I can see now is "fu.....off" :roll:

:lol:

Hahahaha! That's too funny!
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.9
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
Steve Helstrip

Postby themarqueeyears » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

While many of us are not at that point yet, with ish like this going on we're starting to weigh options.

What options!?

Nuendo 6 = same as C7

Logic Pro - abandonware

PT11 - no VST - that's a non starter for me plus still not that great with VI's

Reaper - MIDI .... LOL

Sonar - personally speaking - yuk.

Samplitude - bafferling

DP - just about passible if you can face the GUI.

Let's be honest they're all a compromise and it seems to me C7 is the least compromise.

Obviously some people think differently.

Or just stick with 6.5 of course - but I'm sure SB will get C7 to a great place where it works to satisfy most users.
themarqueeyears

Postby jaslan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Starsprinkler wrote:
ulesto wrote:I REALLY don't like that I have to be REALLY careful when using the mouse wheel in the mixer rack because I might change values in there.

jaslan wrote:A preference to disable value editing with scroll wheel.

Even better would be to use CTRL for mouse wheel editing ==> press Ctrl when you actually want to quickly change something with the mouse wheel, release Ctrl and it immediately snap back to normal scroll mode, no editing.

No need to fiddle with Preferences back and forth then. And it will always be safe for scrolling until you press Ctrl, no matter your preference settings (but you still have quick access for editing when wanted).

Absolutely... That is how I actually describe it in the Feature Request, here...
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=44285#p267898
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby aljames » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm

SB, give us closer to the PT11 mix console. It is looking just beautiful!! They've got is sussed now and you have gone years back with the C7 look and feel!

Please listen to your loyal customers, or prepare to lose some...
Al James Musician * Songwriter * Producer - www.aljamesproductions.com

SYSTEM
Intel i7 930 Quadcore | Asus P6TSE | 12Gb DDR 1600 | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 512Gb (Mac OSX)

There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.

aljames

Postby SteelyDani » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:20 pm

noiseboyuk wrote:
JMCecil wrote:That's funny, no matter how big my monitor is "Tr...l1" doesn't tell me anything.

Exactly.

I can't begin to imagine the total number of man hours that have gone into Cubase to arrive at 7.0.5. Probably hundreds of thousands. Maybe over a million. It's the finest DAW on the market for midi users, with phenomenally powerful features. It can accomplish things that 10 years ago would have been thought impossible.

And yet the channel name is "Tr...l1". It's kinda beyond parody really.

PLEASE fix this once and for all Mr and Mrs Steinberg. Option to hard truncate names is an essential minimum.

I 100% agree with you. The current titles truncation is just ridiculous. Before reading this thread I was thinking of changing my entire tracks naming scheme. Perhaps after all these comments Steinberg will decide to change this absurd implementation.

On the other side I must say that I’ve installed the 7.0.5 update and everything works great, except ...
http://www.bcstudiorecording.com
BCS. Basque Coast Studio
Music is a gift from God to Man

Windows 7 Pro (64)/ Cubase 7.5.10/ WaveLab 7.2 Elements/ Halion 4 / Intel(R) Core(TM2) Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz - 8Gb DDR (4 X 2 Kingston KVR800)/ ASUS P5K PRO/ ATI Radeon HD 5750 Noiless Edition/ MOTU PCI-424 + 4 X 2408 mk3
SteelyDani

Postby Marcus Bits » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:50 pm

aljames wrote:SB, give us closer to the PT11 mix console. It is looking just beautiful!! They've got is sussed now and you have gone years back with the C7 look and feel!

NO. Not all of us want this, imho better if we have customisation. So please. don't speak for all of us.
C6.5 C7 | Custom Mac / Windows 8 |
i5 @ 2,8 Ghz / 560 Ti / 8 Gb ram |
Marcus Bits

Postby ulesto » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Tp3 wrote:
I have an audio track called "funny people roll-off" and all I can see now is "fu.....off"

Hahahaha! That's too funny!

Oh, the irony
[i}Mac Pro, OSX 10.9, MR816CSX, Cubase 7.5, Halion 5, Halion Sonic, HSO, Waves, UAD...
ulesto

Postby impurfekt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:27 pm

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to Steinberg for continually refining Cubase.

After using Logic for five years, it's refreshing to work with a DAW who's developers are actively improving the software and are engaged with the user community. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Keep it up!
impurfekt

Postby mozizo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:53 pm

impurfekt wrote:I just wanted to say "Thank you" to Steinberg for continually refining Cubase.

After using Logic for five years, it's refreshing to work with a DAW who's developers are actively improving the software and are engaged with the user community. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Keep it up!

+1(facebooks Like)
cubase 7.5.20 64bit ,halion 5
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win7 64bit 8gb
(PC Desktop AMD dual core win xp32 cubase 7-32)
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6 Kawai Mp4 Korg PA800.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby Mrhehon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Marcus Bits wrote:
aljames wrote:SB, give us closer to the PT11 mix console. It is looking just beautiful!! They've got is sussed now and you have gone years back with the C7 look and feel!

NO. Not all of us want this, imho better if we have customisation. So please. don't speak for all of us.

The last thing I want is the PT mixer.
Windows 7 pro 64bit
Cubase 7.5.10 64bit
PC i7 920@2.67 GHz 15GB ram
2xMR816 CSX FireWire Audio Interfaces
CC121 controller
Mrhehon

Postby John Purser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm generally having a good time with this update and don't really have any issues I can't 'accomodate'. Nothing about this software stops me making music (and money). These are just my opinions obviously!
Cubase 7.06 | Windows 7 Home Premium | 64 bit | Intel i5 | NVIDEA GeForce GTX570
John Purser

Postby curteye » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 pm

John Purser wrote:I'm generally having a good time with this update and don't really have any issues I can't 'accomodate'. Nothing about this software stops me making music (and money). These are just my opinions obviously!

+1 Same thoughts.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby fireinthefishtank » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 am

Lot could be solved by simply implementing more UI customization options such as: font options, font color, grid lines on/off, gradient on/off, MC work area background color, track list background color options and so on. This way the user could tweak according to taste and preference.
A whole bunch of aesthetic issues would get solved by this right away IMHO. Please Steinberg do this!

The new implementation of activate/on-off inserts requires true marksmanship. You gotta be a true Robin Hood with cursor and mouse. Serious eye - hand coordination is required. This feature will be off limits to a number of seniors I am afraid.

The Mix Console look has lot of room for improvement. I like the whole idea of clean/uncluttered design but at this stage it looks straight up campy. It wouldn't be hard to make it more pleasing to look at. I posted this mock up a while ago that I did in Photo Shop. See attached.

My 2 cents.
Attachments
Design-G.jpg
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
fireinthefishtank

Postby diogo_cme » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 am

fireinthefishtank wrote:Lot could be solved by simply implementing more UI customization options such as: font options, font color, grid lines on/off, gradient on/off, MC work area background color, track list background color options and so on. This way the user could tweak according to taste and preference.
A whole bunch of aesthetic issues would get solved by this right away IMHO. Please Steinberg do this!

The new implementation of activate/on-off inserts requires true marksmanship. You gotta be a true Robin Hood with cursor and mouse. Serious eye - hand coordination is required. This feature will be off limits to a number of seniors I am afraid.

The Mix Console look has lot of room for improvement. I like the whole idea of clean/uncluttered design but at this stage it looks straight up campy. It wouldn't be hard to make it more pleasing to look at. I posted this mock up a while ago that I did in Photo Shop. See attached.

My 2 cents.

Steinberg, hire this man if you wanna push the new mixer.

I really like the new mixer "concept" and it did wonders for my workflow, despite all the nightmares in the implementation. Face it guys, the new mixer is not going away. Cubase's old mixer is not coming back, the new mixer was the big new feature for v7, so let's do like the user above and help Steinberg get it right.
diogo_cme

Postby curteye » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 am

fireinthefishtank wrote:Lot could be solved by simply implementing more UI customization options such as: font options, font color, grid lines on/off, gradient on/off, MC work area background color, track list background color options and so on. This way the user could tweak according to taste and preference.

My 2 cents.

I love this look.

Can it look like this on all (most) 'puters?
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby aljames » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

fireinthefishtank wrote:I posted this mock up a while ago that I did in Photo Shop. See attached.

My 2 cents.

This looks fantastic, minus the hot pink. But well impressed.
Al James Musician * Songwriter * Producer - www.aljamesproductions.com

SYSTEM
Intel i7 930 Quadcore | Asus P6TSE | 12Gb DDR 1600 | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 512Gb (Mac OSX)

There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.

aljames

Postby jaslan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 pm

My 2 cents.

Thanks for posting this, but (for me) it doesn't address the real issues. Customizing the colors is great but the things I don't care for in the current mixer are...
Major items...
1. The ENTIRE conceptual implementation of the EQ, Sends, Inserts areas. BECAUSE of the way the values are represented like "progress bars" ON TOP OF the numbers or text. It makes the numbers or text hard to read. The EQ section really highlights this problem (why are the "Q" parameters in gray while everything else is in green?). The blue and green "Chicklets" all over the place are distracting and disorienting. This includes the concept of turning the ENTIRE slot blue when it is activated/used, etc. I would really like to see the C6.5 implementation on this. With just a blue "button" for the state and just a blue bar BELOW the text for the send level or a green bar BELOW for the mixer parameters.
2. The Strip section is difficult for me to even use. I have to zoom way in on the knobs to even read the text or see the knob positions. Personally, it is easier just to load the effect in an insert and open the plug-in editor.
3. Trying to scroll up and down in the racks with the mouse wheel is hazardous!
Minor items...
4. What is the purpose of the little highlighted outline around the Solo/Mute/Read/Write buttons when my mouse is there? If it were crisp I might not mind it so much but it is fuzzy and sloppy looking.
5. The dark, non-editable background/basic colors and fuzzy text in general throughout the mixer.

To be "Fair and Balanced", I want to reiterate the things I DO like. I love the pop-up EQ curve with spectrum overlay. I like the separate master/loudness meter. I like the "Visibility" list and the "Zones" (I wish there were the ability for more "Zones" or a way to put more channel "groups" (i.e. a small gap or something).

J.L.

EDIT: I wanted to add (and I think this may be the most important part of my post) that I understand WHY the big, colored slots in the sends, inserts, EQ, etc. It is for TOUCHSCREEN! SO you have a big block area to stick your finger and drag/slide the value. I have a solution to offer. You can still have the ENTIRE slot are be a "touch" control area but just display the value/level as a nice, clean, neat colored bar BELOW the text or numbers. It could even be done such that WHILE the block is being touched or adjusted, the entire block is used for the color bar but once done editing the bar is just at the bottom (again, like in C6).
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby fireinthefishtank » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that you guys like it, minus the 80s inspired pink. (My meters are the default green too)

@diogo_cme

I agree with your statement. The new mixer IMHO is not going anywhere. I too like its functionality and it did speed up my work flow. That being said, I'm sure it can be improved.

@curteye

I think it should look the same on all screens. All I've done is just change colors in the existing UI and removed a bunch of lines that are in my opinion unnecessary. The only think if I remember correctly that is different, are the fader caps. But that too was just rearranging pixels. I hope this answer your question.

Cheers!
fireinthefishtank

Postby beatpete » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:38 pm

impurfekt wrote:I just wanted to say "Thank you" to Steinberg for continually refining Cubase.

Keep it up!

Most software companies "engage" their beta testers...
Comp1: Windows 7 64bit, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel I7 970, 12 gig Patriot DDR3 ram, RME Digiface, Geoforce 66000 PCIe, , Cubase 7.5.10
Comp 2:Windows 7 64bit, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, Q6600, 8 gig Corsair XMS ram, , MR816 X(x2) VE Pro
beatpete

Postby FilmNMusicMan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:22 am

Please don't say "Thank You" to Steinberg until the mixer and performance have been improved and refined.

When issues like tiny text are still an issue I refuse to think they've actually tested the product they're releasing with humans. :evil:
COMP: iMac Quad Core i5 2.5Ghz 8Gb Ram OSX 10.8
SOFT: Cubase 7.5.2/Reason 7.1
RACK: MR816csx/Presonus Eureka/PRE73+EQ73/Valley People Dynamite/Ashly CL52E & PQX571/DBX 166A/VLA PRO
SYNTH: Moog Little Phatty/DSI Tetra/DSI Evolver/Sequential Circuits MultiTrak/Korg MS2000B
FilmNMusicMan

Postby DaDa » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:15 am

jaslan wrote:Major items...
1. The ENTIRE conceptual implementation of the EQ, Sends, Inserts areas. BECAUSE of the way the values are represented like "progress bars" ON TOP OF the numbers or text. It makes the numbers or text hard to read. The EQ section really highlights this problem (why are the "Q" parameters in gray while everything else is in green?). The blue and green "Chicklets" all over the place are distracting and disorienting. This includes the concept of turning the ENTIRE slot blue when it is activated/used, etc. I would really like to see the C6.5 implementation on this. With just a blue "button" for the state and just a blue bar BELOW the text for the send level or a green bar BELOW for the mixer parameters.
3. Trying to scroll up and down in the racks with the mouse wheel is hazardous!
Minor items...

Exactly !

And while I don't expect any positive change in that direction ...
Any ETA of the Quick Fix, for the 'big font' bug ?

Jan
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4,2gHz | 8gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 19" LCDs | System SSD |7tb Data HDs
RayDat | ProFire 2626 | UR 824
Win7 64bit | Cubase 7.5.20 64bit | Samplitude 11 32bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore
DaDa

Re: Cubase / Cubase Artist / Cubase Elements 7.0.5 available

Postby thomas.crossley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 am

To be completely honest, this is the only thing I don't like about the latest update, the introduction of the 3 dots around the block is troublesome for me. For example, I load in a plugin, I want to edit, which I would have done by double clicking, instead the mouse keeps catching the middle dot etc. Maybe it's just my way of working that is awkward, I dunno.

The mixer font is annoying, but I'm not getting too worked up over it since SB have already said they are fixing that in 7.0.6

I've been a Cubase user since getting a copy of Cubase SE in college, and personally always loved it. I purchased a copy of Logic Pro 9 and Ableton Live8, and still find Cubase top dog, just kinda wish the product was stable from first release instead of a lot of patch updates to fix bugs.

Anyways! Roll on 7.0.6
Mac Mini 2.6Ghz Intel Core I7 | 16Gb Ram | OSX 10.8.4 | Cubase 7.5.1 | TC Powercore Firewire | Access Virus Ti Snow | Access Virus C Desktop | Novation K-Station | Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard | TC Electronic SK48 | Logic Pro 9.1.8
thomas.crossley

Postby Steve Helstrip » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:03 pm

The font issues is a royal pain, but insignificant next to the close mixer/edit settings crash issue. Some acknowledgement from Steinberg wouldn't go amiss.
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.9
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
Steve Helstrip

PreviousNext

Return to General