Hard drive overload

Everything else...

Hard drive overload

Postby Zhe Kill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm

So I have a project that I tracked in logic pro 9.
I know :shock:

But now I have imported all the tracks into cubase 7 and use maybe around 140 stereotracks.
And I get a disk overload.
Just build a new haswell rig with the 4770k and ssd drive, sata drive 7200, 16 gb ram etc.
And I run a fireface 800 at it's highest buffer.
My cpu and ram isn't even sweating.

Is it strange to get an overload?
Zhe Kill

Re: Hard drive overload

Postby tze019 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

I've got a similar issue. Multi song session tracked in Pro Tools. Imported into C7.0.6. between 16 & 22 mono tracks per song. Some songs have no issues at all. Others have disk overloads after minutes.

No idea what to even start looking for.

Sessions are…
44.1k 24b files - all mono
UAD Octo Card - hardly breaking a sweat
CPU hardly breaking a sweat
Disk Pre-Load 2 seconds
1024 Buffer
Asio Guard On
Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mid 2010 Mac Pro
16 GB Ram
Dedicated 1 TB Software RAID Pair HD for Audio
tze019

Postby DaveAbbott » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:08 am

Hi All

I had a similar problem that seemed to happen on importing tracks, I solved it by backing up the project, File>Back up Project. It was a bit of a schlep(will be with 140 tracks) and took a while, but when I reopened the project from the backed up folder all worked fine, no idea why, it just did.

Best Regards

Dave
Dave Abbott
Entertainer | Musician | Producer
cricket@iafrica.com

Computer i7 3 Ghz CPU, Intel Mobo, 12Gig RAM System Drive115 Gig SSD + 4 x 1TB recording and sample drives.
Software: Win7 64Bit Cubase 7
Interface: Steinberg UR824 with Focusrite Octopre, Steinberg CI1 on spare machine
M-Audio Keystation Pro88 Controller
DaveAbbott

Postby flexionmusic » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 am

File fragmentation? Maybe backing up the project created unfragmented copies of the audio files.
Cubase 7.5 / Windows 8 64bit / UR44 / NI Komplete / Intel quadcore / 12Gb / BCF2000 & BCR2000
flexionmusic

Postby tze019 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:04 am

As it turned out, My hard drives are running slow, and if my session audio files are saved to the slower half of my drive (physically on the slower side) then I have overload issues.

If I physically move the files (i.e. back up the project) then I sometimes have no issues if the backup is saved to the faster part of the drives.

Solution... Better hard drives!!! Damn. :(
tze019

Postby TwanV » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:18 am

Put my hdd's yesterday in a raid configuration.
Good results.

See mee post about stripping windows.

Twan
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, Cubase 6.5.5, Cubase 7.0.7, Cubase 7.5.20
Intel DX58S02, I7 X990 4,13GHz, 24GB DDR3 1772MHz, Sapphire HD6970.
SSD (OS, Cubase), Raid 4hdx1tb (Plugins), 1hdx 1tb Backup Cubase projects,
1hdx 1tb General Backup,

CC121 and MR816X
TwanV

Postby Buchanan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:54 pm

How do you know your hard drives are running slow? Just curious. If it's a new rig you may have a faulty drive. Might be worth sending it back for a swap out.
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan

Postby tze019 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Buchanan wrote:How do you know your hard drives are running slow? Just curious. If it's a new rig you may have a faulty drive. Might be worth sending it back for a swap out.

I've done all sorts of speed tests and troubleshooting. I run two different raid pairs (operations vs audio) and I've been able to confirm that my audio drives are almost half as fast as my operations drives, so I'm looking at server grade drives as an alternative. Not a newer system. Three years old now. Time for a hard drive upgrade anyway.

You're right in suggesting that one of the drives may be faulty. Any new drive I get will go through our speed test process before install now, but the real trick will be trying to find a day we can shut down the studio long enough to install and reload the audio! :)
tze019

Postby tze019 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:50 pm

tze019 wrote:As it turned out, My hard drives are running slow, and if my session audio files are saved to the slower half of my drive (physically on the slower side) then I have overload issues.

If I physically move the files (i.e. back up the project) then I sometimes have no issues if the backup is saved to the faster part of the drives.

Solution... Better hard drives!!! Damn. :(

So as it turns out, I was wrong in the end. As we went through the process of installing new drives, we discovered that OSX offers an option of "Packet Size" when creating the Software Raid pair. Our original drives were at a very small packet size. Re-installing the old drives, and reformatting them as a Raid pair with the larger packet size setting increased the hard drive read/write speed by almost double.

I hope this may be useful to someone else in a similar situation. I wish I knew more about hardware to understand the why's but at least the problem is temporarily solved.

Cheers
tze019

Return to Miscellaneous