7.0.6's "pre" rack issues and mixer thoughts

Everything else...

Re: 7.0.6's "pre" rack issues and mixer thoughts

Postby fireinthefishtank » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 pm

If anyone things he makes better mixes without visual aids, there's this very old trick :
close Your eyes !

You are right, I actually do that a lot. I also have knobs and faders so its not a big deal for me personally, but for those who use the mouse most of the time, it might be a nice bonus feature to be able to switch numbers on and off.

It begs the question though, how many decisions do we make with our eyes and how many with our ears looking at numeric values most of the time? There are too many tasks you cant do in DAW with your eyes closed, that's the whole point.

haha, exactly my thoughts!

"oh, all those values, I cannot mix this way!" - ouch

Did you notice in my post how I suggest it to be optional? That way you can have numbers, but you are also able to turn them off as well. Options are good, right?
fireinthefishtank

Postby r.u.sirius » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 am

fireinthefishtank wrote:
haha, exactly my thoughts!

"oh, all those values, I cannot mix this way!" - ouch

Did you notice in my post how I suggest it to be optional? That way you can have numbers, but you are also able to turn them off as well. Options are good, right?

I did, and you´re right, options are good! In fact, in this case I myself don´t care much about options if I have the possibility to turn values on. Set and forget.
The video you posted is interesting. There are many ways to fool the ear. But there are moments when the the ear simply cannot detect mixing faults, like a 20Hz artefact rumble of a synth track, or a over-emphasized 18kHz area. I use spectrum analysis to find those loudness killing problems, and I want to see the exact values of the frequencies I´m tweaking.
C6.5/7.5 32bit | WL8 | FF800 | 2x UAD2 Quad | Win7 64 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i7-2600K | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U
r.u.sirius

Postby fireinthefishtank » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:08 am

r.u.sirius wrote:There are many ways to fool the ear. But there are moments when the the ear simply cannot detect mixing faults, like a 20Hz artefact rumble of a synth track, or a over-emphasized 18kHz area. I use spectrum analysis to find those loudness killing problems, and I want to see the exact values of the frequencies I´m tweaking.

I agree! I reach for the spectrum analyzer on occasion too.

I was mainly emphasizing the general decision making process vs. just the "selected bits" with the "eyes closed method" , because of the cumulative effect that results from it. Our ears/brains are still unsurpassed and more fine tuned to make decision in the spectrum where music lives, than any other tools.

Because we are such visual beings it requires quite the discipline to "override" that part of the brain and just rely on hearing. But the results become much more musical when we do imho.

Cheers!

F-
fireinthefishtank

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous