OH NO! dear me! Strange Midi event problems with VSTi's

Everything else...

OH NO! dear me! Strange Midi event problems with VSTi's

Postby Outsounder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:04 am

C7.06 - This first came to light a few days ago, playing a solo vocal line in Soundirons stunning voice/choir libraries when a sudden drop out of the midi note on started to appear hald way through a legato melody.

Looked in the keyboard edit and noticed odd notes in the melody line just stooped after a quarter beat (plain to see in grid editor) as if one had suddenly stopped playing or had a note off command and then started again properly at the next bar, though it keeps happening.

Playing a few chord passages with Orchestral Essentials and noticed that it sounded a bit strange again, odd notes at random beat s(usually the bottom in a triad) just give a small one beat sound and would not sustain to end of bar!

Listening to some earlier doodles saved as a project, noticed the same problem, so started a new project, drew in a four bar divisi choral chord progression and noticed the lower not of the chords are not triggering apart from a quick little blip that sounds for a quarter of the bar and repeated the same thing throughout the progression.

Went to grid editor, drew in a basic triad progression and the same thing happens there, normally on the bottom note of the chord.

Thought there may be error with K/board so changed that as well as checked the Asio/Asio Guard on and off etc but still happening !

This seems to be a purely midi thing, so far audio doesn't do that, also it's with most keyboards and plugins so it cant be down to NI, Soundiron, heavyocity etc.

NEVER experienced this before! A simple local machine settings I hope that's been set wrong though can.t find any thing obvious yet.

Any one else experienced this? and if so how did you fix it? I'd love to know!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion !
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/16gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram. Win 764bit, Cubase 6.5 & 7.5, Studio One 2 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, Sonic Core Scope DSP Audio System, Roland VMC 7200-48 Channel Digital Mixing System & Focal Monitors. Software includes NI Komplete 8, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries.
Outsounder

Re: OH NO! dear me! Strange Midi event problems with VSTi's

Postby vic_france » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:28 am

Is the same thing happening if you trigger a different VSTi from that same MIDI Part? (I am just wondering if maybe there is some polyphony limit going on inside that Soundirons library?).. or.. are those library voices looped or not? (maybe the MIDI note is longer than the length of the sample, if it isn't looped).
Can't think of anything else for now ;).
Mac Pro Quad-Core 2.66 gHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV l Mac OS X 10.8.5 l Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Cubase 7.5.20| Cubase 7.0.7| Cubase 6.5.5 | Cubase 5.5.3
vic_france

Postby curteye » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

vic_france wrote:just wondering if maybe there is some polyphony limit going on inside that Soundirons library?)

+1
That's exactly what came to mind.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Outsounder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks guys but don't thinks its a polyphony thing as it started happening on single voice melody lines, the triads I drew in by hand were pointed to project sam OE strings, same thing. Will try again later with piano etc and will update.
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/16gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram. Win 764bit, Cubase 6.5 & 7.5, Studio One 2 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, Sonic Core Scope DSP Audio System, Roland VMC 7200-48 Channel Digital Mixing System & Focal Monitors. Software includes NI Komplete 8, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries.
Outsounder

Postby Blackout » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm

fortunately i make dance music so i dont need to worry about fancy things such as chords

so i havent experienced this problem so far
Blackout

Postby Soul-Burn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 pm

As said by the guys before me, try first with a different VSTi to take that off the table. Best if it's one of the built-in instruments.

Just to clarify, does the MIDI in the piano roll look OK? i.e goes till the end of the bar?
If it doesn't, there might be some quantization going on.

If it's not...
Do you have any special articulations or weird CCs applied to the track? They might throw the VSTi off.
Is HMT enabled? It is known be not 100% compatible with some VSTis as it sends "detune" CC to them and they might not understand it and break.
Soul-Burn

Postby Outsounder » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 am

No strange thing in key editor, check for hidden double notes, checked all velocities and tried on numerous vsti etc etc.

Can't suss it out at all, seems as if its not triggering note on randomly through progression or if it does, it's just a blip at beginning of event followed by a very quick note off.

Only thing that springs to mind is new axiom air drivers. Will go back to point before they were installed see if that makes any difference.
Outsounder

Postby Outsounder » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Problem found, known issue (PBK-1390) when recording polyphonic parts with Kontakt Action Strings and is being investigated.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
Outsounder

Postby curteye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Outsounder wrote:Problem found, known issue (PBK-1390) when recording polyphonic parts with Kontakt Action Strings and is being investigated.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

WOW!

Glad this one got sorted.

Sort of......
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Outsounder » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Was quite a really weird one as the track was dropping out on just about every vsti it was pointed to, first real issue with kontakt being the cause not the symptom!
Outsounder

Return to Miscellaneous