Win8 Upgrade From Win7 & eLicense Error

Everything else...

Win8 Upgrade From Win7 & eLicense Error

Postby Tones2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:27 am

I am using 32 bit Cubase 7.06 with the latest version of the eLicenser and everything was 100% fine using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I recently did an in-place upgrade of the same computer to Win 8.0 and when trying to load Cubase I get the following error message in a pop-up dialog box.

"Your system finger print is not valid anymore, The system's hardware configuration has changed! Soft-eLincenser "xxx-xxx" and stored licenses have been diabled. Hardware licenses ar not affected! please contact your software vendor's support department for help and reactivation".

After getting that, Cubase loads and as far as I can tell, works 100% fine. Note that I get the SAME message when trying to run Wavelab 7, but that also runs fine after exiting the dialog box.

I also ran the eLincenser control panel and did the maintenance update with no errors and all licenses seem to be there and activated.

Does anyone know what this problem could be?
Tony

I still want to move frozen VSTi parts, even in the new forum!
Tones2

Re: Win8 Upgrade From Win7 & eLicense Error

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:17 am

Sounds like you have Cubase and Wavelab licenses on USB dongles, but you also have a soft elicense on your drive from something or other. Maybe that error is generated every time the Elc is queried, even if it's not for the software that's no longer licensed.Does it show in the elc? In your steinberg account?
i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H, 16gb: Mac 10.8.5,
Macbook Pro 13" 2011, 8gb: Mac 10.9,
Cubase 7.5.10, Nektar P6 controller
SteveInChicago
Grand Senior Member

Postby papi61 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 am

You should go back to Windows 7 (you can do it from within Win 8, not a problem.) Then move whatever license(s) you have on the soft-licenser to the USB licenser. Then re-do the upgrade.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
papi61

Postby Fabio Bartolini » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 am

Hello,

if you don't have any licenses on the Soft-eLicenser, you can just run the Installation Helper:

- Close all programs.
- Download this file: http://support.steinberg.de/eLC/eLC_Ins ... Helper.exe
- Double-click on the downloaded file to start the reinstallation of the eLicenser Control Center.

Please, note that the eLC Installation Helper can only be executed if your Windows user account has administrative rights!

If you are logged in to an Windows user account with limited rights you will be prompted to provide an administrator's username and password.

The eLicenser Control Center will be reinstalled. When you open the eLicenser Control Center afterwards, it should display the new Soft-eLicenser number.

Actually, if you still have licenses on the Soft-eLicenser, you could still reactivate those and then transfer to USB-eLicenser - but please note that the Soft-eLicenser needs to be registered to your account in order to reactivate.
If you have problems, please PM me.

Kind regards,
Fabio Bartolini, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Fabio Bartolini

Postby plectrumboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Tones2 wrote:I am using 32 bit Cubase 7.06 with the latest version of the eLicenser and everything was 100% fine using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I recently did an in-place upgrade of the same computer to Win 8.0 and when trying to load Cubase I get the following error message in a pop-up dialog box.

"Your system finger print is not valid anymore, The system's hardware configuration has changed! Soft-eLincenser "xxx-xxx" and stored licenses have been diabled. Hardware licenses ar not affected! please contact your software vendor's support department for help and reactivation".

After getting that, Cubase loads and as far as I can tell, works 100% fine. Note that I get the SAME message when trying to run Wavelab 7, but that also runs fine after exiting the dialog box.

I also ran the eLincenser control panel and did the maintenance update with no errors and all licenses seem to be there and activated.

Does anyone know what this problem could be?

I had the same problem for the last couple of weeks since installing Windows 8.1 preview on my laptop. I've just followed Fabio's advice and the pop-up warning has gone! Thanks for the advice.

Steve.
Core i7 2600K @ 4.3Ghz on Asus Z68-V LX 8Gb running Windows 7 64, Samsung RF711 laptop 8 Gb running Windows 8.1 64, 2x UR824, Cubase 7.5 64, Halionsonic 2, The Grand SE3, HSO, Wavelab 8.02, Halion 5, BFD3, NI Studio Drummer, Session Horns, Mark 1, Groove Agent 3.02 with jBridge, Stylus RMX, Trillian, VST Connect Pro.
plectrumboy

Postby keyboardguy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:37 am

Ditto for me too.

Thanks Fabio and the Steinberg team !!!

Mike
keyboardguy

Return to Miscellaneous