Trial

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Trial

Postby NightCabbage » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 am

Hi all

So I'm going to buy a DAW, and from what I can tell, Cubase is best suited to my needs.

I am absolutely not going to make a purchasing decision without trying the product first, of course... which brings me to my current problem.

I have downloaded the 5GB trial. I have installed it.

It then says "enter your activation code". No problems, I enter it from the email I received. It then says "you have no USB eLicensers connected to your computer". Of course I don't I haven't bought the software yet, that's why I have downloaded and installed the trial.

Can someone help me out please? It seems silly to have downloaded a 5GB trial only to discover it's impossible to actually use it... What's going wrong?

Pretty unimpressed that there is such terrible DRM software required to use Cubase in the first place, but the fact that it doesn't even work... I feel like it's a bit of a joke, unless I'm missing something?

Thanks!
NightCabbage

Re: Trial

Postby DaveAbbott » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Nightcabbage

I am a Cubase 7 user (a mostly happy one) but I agree with you, I've just had a look at the Trial download page and it does seem to intimate that you have to have a USB e-licencer which I would have thought is a bit brainless, I can't believe that that is the case however! I do know that some of the other products use an "e-licencer" which one downloads, have you tried to contact Steinberg customer service direct, it seems silly that one should have to but......

Best Regards

Dave
Dave Abbott
Entertainer | Musician | Producer
cricket@iafrica.com

Computer i7 3 Ghz CPU, Intel Mobo, 12Gig RAM System Drive115 Gig SSD + 4 x 1TB recording and sample drives.
Software: Win7 64Bit Cubase 7
Interface: Steinberg UR824 with Focusrite Octopre, Steinberg CI1 on spare machine
M-Audio Keystation Pro88 Controller
DaveAbbott

Postby thinkingcap » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 am

You do of course need a USB eLicenser to run the trial.
Or which part of
The Cubase 7 trial page wrote:For the Cubase 7 Trial you require an USB-eLicenser. You may purchase a USB-eLicenser from our Online-Shop or your local dealer.

written directly underneath the download lin, is confusing you
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby sonicstate » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 am

thinkingcap wrote:You do of course need a USB eLicenser to run the trial.
Or which part of
[quote=The Cubase 7 trial page"]For the Cubase 7 Trial you require an USB-eLicenser. You may purchase a USB-eLicenser from our Online-Shop or your local dealer.

written directly underneath the download lin, is confusing you[/quote]

Really? This doesn't even make sense. How is one supposed to try it out then? You must buy USB thingy? I cannot believe this is like this. Are you 100% sure?
Cubase 7.5, Win 7 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, 2x RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...
sonicstate

Postby NightCabbage » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:05 am

thinkingcap wrote:Or which part of
The Cubase 7 trial page wrote:For the Cubase 7 Trial you require an USB-eLicenser. You may purchase a USB-eLicenser from our Online-Shop or your local dealer.

written directly underneath the download lin, is confusing you

The part where it makes absolutely no sense for someone to have to purchase something in order to do a trial :D

Anyways, dongles are about 20 years out of date, in terms of being used as a form of DRM... this is the download age...
NightCabbage

Postby thinkingcap » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

NightCabbage wrote:Anyways, dongles are about 20 years out of date, in terms of being used as a form of DRM..

Obviously not.
NightCabbage wrote:this is the download age...

That´s why you can download the license to your dongle, once you have one.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby Svenne » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:55 pm

NightCabbage wrote:The part where it makes absolutely no sense for someone to have to purchase something in order to do a trial

Then you should stay away from any piece of software that use dongles (E-Licencer, iLok, etc.) for protection. They all require that you invest in a dongle in order to run the demos.

One could argue whether this is a good or a bad thing. I guess that we just have to accept that this has become an "industry standard".
Cubase 7.5.20 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 Mavericks, Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced)
Svenne

Postby Scab Pickens » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I just spent $40.00 on a bottle of 100 proof bourbon. It will probably be gone in a matter of days.

Seriously ... this is an expensive "hobby". If you are not willing to pay to play, you will not get very far. Sorry if that sounds negative. Just stating the facts.

The fact that the trial download page specifies the necessary requirement of a dongle pretty much voids your complaint.

Main: Win 7 64 | Cubase 7.5.20 64 | WaveLab Elements 8.0.3 64 | i7-950 3.1 12GB | Focusrite PRO 40
Mobile: Win 7 64 | Cubase Elements 7.0.7 64 | Core2Duo 2.4 8GB | Tascam US-144MKII
Scab Pickens

Postby HarrySound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Strangely this is why Steinberg has had hundreds and hundreds of £££ off me over the last 2 years.
The ONLY way for me to get into DAW's for the first time, coming from nothing was to go the non-legal route.
I learnt Cubase well enough to fumble around but then came time to buy and I wanted to try Pro Tools.
Pro Tools requires an iLok device even for the demo, like many other plugins.

So the decision was made very easy for me....i'll just stick to what I know.

Unfortunately how else do we demo stuff without steinberg having to lose out to piracy....even though in my case piracy means they now have a loyal customer.
It's a crappy situation but maybe the Adobe route is the way to go.....maybe its fine as it is?
I guess the main issue is , the e-licencer is useless pretty much if you decide you don't want cubase, where as the iLok is much more widely used.
HarrySound

Postby Scab Pickens » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 pm

HarrySound wrote:The ONLY way for me to get into DAW's for the first time, coming from nothing was to go the non-legal route.

I don't believe you are telling the truth. Although I do appreciate a good, honest criminal ...
Main: Win 7 64 | Cubase 7.5.20 64 | WaveLab Elements 8.0.3 64 | i7-950 3.1 12GB | Focusrite PRO 40
Mobile: Win 7 64 | Cubase Elements 7.0.7 64 | Core2Duo 2.4 8GB | Tascam US-144MKII
Scab Pickens

Postby HarrySound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Scab Pickens wrote:
HarrySound wrote:The ONLY way for me to get into DAW's for the first time, coming from nothing was to go the non-legal route.

I don't believe you are telling the truth. Although I do appreciate a good, honest criminal ...

How do you mean?
2-3 years ago I didn't even know what a compressor was.
HarrySound

Postby Scab Pickens » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 pm

HarrySound wrote:
Scab Pickens wrote:

How do you mean?
2-3 years ago I didn't even know what a compressor was.

Sure, we all have to learn the basics at some point. I started with Cubase LE4, which came with my Tascam interface. I never felt the need to go the criminal route.

I was just making a point that I don't believe the "non-legal" route was your "ONLY" way to get into the DAW world. Many others have discovered alternative methods.
Scab Pickens

Postby HarrySound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm an old Sound Blaster customer from years and years ago when I bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 with the 5.25" drive bay.
I got a Cubase Cd rom with it, must have thrown it away or something .
Back then I was trying to hook my guitar directly into a 3.5mm jack for recording.Ya Rly.

10 years later and a few PC's down the line I decided it was time to actually start recording stuff and the only thing I knew that did recording on a PC was that thing I got with my Sound Blaster cards, Cubase.
I didn't even look for anything else, just went straight for the latest version I could find.
Fast track 3 years down the line and i've spent thousands and thousands getting a proper set up and going 100% legit in every way, Music, movies, software, you name it.

You can be all high and mighty about my situation back then but it's all a learning process and it's like telling a smoker to quit. They have to see the reasons for themselves.
My conscience is completely clean and I really enjoy paying for things I love.
HarrySound

Postby Scab Pickens » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:07 pm

HarrySound wrote:I'm an old Sound Blaster customer from years and years ago when I bought a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 with the 5.25" drive bay.
I got a Cubase Cd rom with it, must have thrown it away or something .
Back then I was trying to hook my guitar directly into a 3.5mm jack for recording.Ya Rly.

10 years later and a few PC's down the line I decided it was time to actually start recording stuff and the only thing I knew that did recording on a PC was that thing I got with my Sound Blaster cards, Cubase.
I didn't even look for anything else, just went straight for the latest version I could find.
Fast track 3 years down the line and i've spent thousands and thousands getting a proper set up and going 100% legit in every way, Music, movies, software, you name it.

You can be all high and mighty about my situation back then but it's all a learning process and it's like telling a smoker to quit. They have to see the reasons for themselves.
My conscience is completely clean and I really enjoy paying for things I love.

I'm glad you have made peace with yourself 8-) .

Are you telling me I should quit smoking :mrgreen: ?

By the way, I am not "high and mighty". If I ever come across that way, let me know.

So ... what does this have to do with the USB-eLicenser and the Cubase 7 trial?
Scab Pickens

Postby HarrySound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Because of E-Licencer copy protection I was a pirate, because I was a pirate I was a customer.......all because of the E-Licencer/iLok requirement to demo Cubase and competing products like Pro Tools .All of which seems so silly to the new user like the fellow who started this thread.
HarrySound

Postby Scab Pickens » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 pm

HarrySound wrote:Because of E-Licencer copy protection I was a pirate, because I was a pirate I was a customer.......all because of the E-Licencer/iLok requirement to demo Cubase and competing products like Pro Tools .All of which seems so silly to the new user like the fellow who started this thread.

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.
Scab Pickens

Postby artguy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:34 am

Ask to borrow a hardware elicenser from you local music store.
artguy

Postby Svenne » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 am

artguy wrote:Ask to borrow a hardware elicenser from you local music store.

That was an excellent idea. Perhaps Steinberg could find a new revenue stream by offering "rental dongles". ;)
Cubase 7.5.20 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 Mavericks, Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced)
Svenne

Postby inkBot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 am

I ran into this exact same thing, missed the notice on the trial download page completely. Mostly because I was downloading a trial and didn't think there'd be such an absurd restriction on a trial.

Frankly, I find the idea of requiring a customer to pay money (even if not to 'you') to even try your software kind of disgusting. Any interest I had in this product is pretty much gone, even if the software is really good. I'll be looking to your competitors instead.

Just wanted to chime that in for posterity.
inkBot

Postby johnstaf » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 am

inkBot wrote:I ran into this exact same thing, missed the notice on the trial download page completely. Mostly because I was downloading a trial and didn't think there'd be such an absurd restriction on a trial.

Frankly, I find the idea of requiring a customer to pay money (even if not to 'you') to even try your software kind of disgusting. Any interest I had in this product is pretty much gone, even if the software is really good. I'll be looking to your competitors instead.

Just wanted to chime that in for posterity.

Why would Steinberg release a demo version with a lower level of copy-protection than the paid version?
Cubase 7.5
Finale 2012
Samsung series 7 Ultrabook/Windows 8.1
Kawai MP-10 Digital Piano

EWQL Hollywood, Choral and Symphonic libraries.
VSL Vienna Imperial, Soprano Choir, Dimension Strings.
Virharmonic Soloists of Prague
johnstaf

Postby JClosed » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 am

Well - you can use the USB licencer for the plugins offered by Steinberg. There are several relatively inexpensive synth plugins that you can use in other DAW's if you like. Personally I like Dark planet, Retrologue and Padshop pro. You can also demo those using this licencer too.

The licencer is not very expensive (€ 18,50 at my supplier), and -as I said- you can use it for more software. You can also use it for the LE version (or any other version) of Cubase, so you are not tied to a single computer (what happens if you use the soft licencer). So - even if you do not decide to buy the full version of Cubase the licencer can be still be usefull.

It's obvious the USB licencer seems to work very well. There is no cracked version to be found since Cubase 5, and to be honest - I like that.

I know there are people that do not like the licencer, but personally I do not have any problem with it. I prefer it to on-line check, or computer (or other hardware - except the licencer) tied activation. That works very cumbersome. I do like -however- the way Waves use its licence. You can use a ordinary cheap USB stick, local computer, or "park" the licence in the "cloud".

For your information - I have taken some safety precautions to avoid any damage to my licencer. In my case I have used a short USB cable and put the USB licencer in a very small sturdy box, so only the cable is coming out of it. I only have to plug in the cable, so damage to the licencer is almost impossible.

Anyway - indeed the download page gives a very clear indication you need the licencer.
JClosed

Postby Svenne » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 pm

inkBot wrote:I'll be looking to your competitors instead.

Then you will have very few options, as you'll soon find that most of the competitors do the same exact thing!
Svenne

Return to General