How modulate vst parameters with lfo

Hi guys!

Is it possible in cubase to modulate a plugin parameter with an lfo? I see there is the autolfo plugin, but it works with midi cc…how i can assign it to a generic vst parameter (maybe that i have already added in an automation line)?

Thanks in advance for any info

yes it is possible. I don’t have cubase with me at the mo, so I can’t double check right now, but as far as I remember quickest way (for me anyway) was to add autolfo, activate it and choose any midi cc within it. Then, in your plugin set midi learn to a parameter of your choice. This parameter should automatically start responding to midi info generated by autolfo. hope that helps.

Thank you!
But what about if the plugin doesn’t have midi learn function?

if you managed to add an automation track for a parameter which you are trying to modulate, there should (hopefully) be a CC number displayed on this automation track, which represents your parameter. You can try to select respective CC in the auto lfo. It may not be as straight forward if it’s an insert effect that you’re trying to modulate. For those, I think, you may need to add an an extra midi track and assign it’s output to your effect…

would you mind me asking what plugin you’re using?

My is a general question, i like to give some movement to the sound automating parameters of modulation plugins or filters etc etc… instead of write automation for everything. In ableton you can make this very easy and fast, just adding an lfo or envelope plugin and assign it to whatever you want. In cubase the autolfo works with midi cc, so you need a plugin that accept midi learning. Maybe Steinberg will give to us more flexible tools and modular environment in the future :mrgreen:

regretfully I have to agree. Cubase is behind Live in this area. I love the way that everything in Live is integrated, and how easy it it is to add various effects (including LFO’s), and group them, and assign to complex macros to things, drag n drop pretty much anything anywhere etc etc… Cubase still wins in most other areas IMO…sorry for going bit off topic.

Exactly my same opinion. Cubase is great, but needs some flexible tools to speed up workflow and creativity imo

Maybe in the meantime give VSTForx a look. You can modulate the poopies out of everything + it can function as a MIDI shell for your MIDI-less plugs.
And for only €15 it’s a no-brainer!

Really thanks for the suggestion! Actually does vstforx have delay plugin compensation?

AFAIK this plugin reports the correct latency to the host, so Cubase’s automatic PDC handles the latency compensation. Of course the author didn’t test is with all plugs out there and this VST is still young so it’s hard to say if it works flawless all the way!
I would say, just run the demo and see if it fits your needs :wink:

Ok thank you very much!

great find! tried the demo last night. Took me about 2hrs to figure out how to use it, but definitely worth €15. This is the kind of functionality that I needed badly for a long time. Thanks!

u can also use Cableguys | MidiShaper it also cc based as everything else, but it can be triggered by MIDI note(s) , I’ve created a small video about the routing >

I agree 100%.

I’m going to check vstForx and midi shaper, thanks for the suggestions.

definitely gonna check that one out. Looks great! thanks very much for the suggestion!

Yes, MIDI Shaper is wonderful :slight_smile:
But, if you don’t mind “rolling up your shirtsleeves”, read this topic for how to get Cubase’s own Auto LFO working as you are wishing… Auto LFO question - #12 by vic_france - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Hi !
I dig up this topic because it was exactly what I wanted to achieve… I tested all the solution here without good enough result.
Then, after more research, I’ve found the absolutely excellent Muxtool ! This would allow me to, for example, increase electric piano tremolo depth with an envelope when playing notes. There are some app that could achieve this but only via midi, which means timing issues & only 127 points resolution + it would only work with vst’s that support midi.
So, I wanted a app allowing me to modulate autoamtion vast’s parameters. And Muxtool is absolutely perfect for that ! If Cubase had the feature, I would had to search so much !
Muxtool is a vst host which is a vst itself. That means that it scanns your vst folder and you can load your vst’s in Muxtool modular environment, then modulate those vst’s parameters via the automation feature which has a much better resolution than midi and much less timing jitter. Your vst’s become an audio module in the modular environment… And up to 4096 points resolution !
In the example here, on each notes the electric piano receives, it triggers 2 envelopes which are modulating the Soundtoy freakfilter1 modulation depth, its frequency and its resonance. The result is awesome ! And the modular environment allows to build amazing stuff.
In the example here, on each notes the electric piano receives, it triggers 2 envelopes which are modulating the Soundtoy freakfilter1 modulation depth, its frequency and its resonance. The result is awesome ! And the modular environment allows to build amazing stuff.

Muxtool allows to really modulate a vst instrument and its fx chain with midi note, just like if all those vst’s were only one synth. Brilliant !