SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW FEATURES

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW FEATURES

Postby SoundComposer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 am

I'm a pro user of Cubase for many years. I've been on Pro Tools, switched to Logic because some people told me it was better and now I'm back on Cubase because it is far better for what I do and always works :) Thank you!

The new update to Cubase 7 with the new design can be discussed… I'm more into a professional working software than nifty new design features… that are buggy :(

For a long time I have some minor things that start annoying me in the workflow of Cubase. In a professional environment I need to work fast and these suggestion might make everybody's workflow faster:

------------------ SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW FEATURES --------------------

1.) File --> Open Recent… (could be handy sometimes).

2.) Export audio in different ways than just Mixdown. For example being able to export all selected tracks as separate audio files (one long for each track) for mixing on other systems. Or other neat exporting features for audio.

3.) Export audio to video even though the audio is longer than the video. Like in Logic it would be nice to make it possible to join the newly composed audio to an existing video in Cubase even if the audio is longer than the video file (should create black video for the extra sound). Also it should save as a new video file not overwriting the original.

4.) New Tool - select everything from point of click and to the right on one track (tool from Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro). Good for moving a track without missing something that you can't see on your right.

5.) New Tool - select everything from point of click and to the right on all tracks (tool from Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro). This is awesome when wanting to move a part of a whole project without having to zoom everything out and selecting all parts. Should include automation and all other points.

6.) When grouping two or more tracks (Command+G) or using the Track Folder it should also work for audio warp/free warp. It doesn't - the tracks go out of sync when doing warp on one audio file.

7.) I have a window with the piano roll open on one screen and my arranger on the other screen. When I mark an event in the arranger window it shows automatically in the piano roll. BUT it shows the piano roll from the beginning of the event. Could you please make it update to show where the timeline/cursor is placed?

Thanks for a wonderful program! Keep making a professional audio software that works!
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK
http://www.soundcomposer.dk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASTER: MacPro3,1 w. 2 X Quad-core 2.8 GHz | 24 GB RAM | Projects HD RAID | Samples 1 X SSD + 3 X eSata HD | Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
SLAVES: 2 PCs both i7 | 16/32 GB RAM | SSD | Windows 7 Ultimate | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 7.0.6 | Logic 9.1.8 | WaveLab 7.2 | Sibelius 6.2 | VEP5 | EWQL SO/Choir/Ra/Silk/SD2/Pianos | LASS 2 | CineHarp | Cineorch | NI Komplete 9 Ultimate | ProjectSAM Flute FX & Symphobia | Spectrasonics Stylus/Omnisphere/Trilian | Spitfire Albion |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SoundComposer

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW FEATURES

Postby curteye » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:59 am

Aloha S,

1.) File --> Open Recent… ).

+1
A number of users have asked for this.

2.) Export audio in different ways than just Mixdown. For example being able to export all selected tracks as separate audio files (one long for each track) for mixing on other systems. .

I use 'batch export' for this now. Or am I missing this point?

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
breaking in a Mac Pro.

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby JMCecil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:13 am

1.) File --> Open Recent… (could be handy sometimes).

2.) Export audio in different ways than just Mixdown. For example being able to export all selected tracks as separate audio files (one long for each track) for mixing on other systems. Or other neat exporting features for audio.

might want to poke around the export options a bit

4.) New Tool - select everything from point of click and to the right on one track (tool from Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro). Good for moving a track without missing something that you can't see on your right.

5.) New Tool - select everything from point of click and to the right on all tracks (tool from Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro). This is awesome when wanting to move a part of a whole project without having to zoom everything out and selecting all parts. Should include automation and all other points.

macros are your friend

6.) When grouping two or more tracks (Command+G) or using the Track Folder it should also work for audio warp/free warp. It doesn't - the tracks go out of sync when doing warp on one audio file.

hmm ... not saying it isn't the case, but I've never had this happen and I use warping a lot. Maybe provide a sample project or something or files or maybe a detailed walk-thru.
7.) I have a window with the piano roll open on one screen and my arranger on the other screen. When I mark an event in the arranger window it shows automatically in the piano roll. BUT it shows the piano roll from the beginning of the event. Could you please make it update to show where the timeline/cursor is placed?

+1 .. but with the addition that the piano roll used to be much smarter about how it zoomed on an event when opened. It seems to have slowly devolved over versions. Please zoom to the event, start at cursor but as a preference, and/or to loop etc ...
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby SoundComposer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:47 pm

1. OMG it's there :) ha ha!

2. Got it - batch export. Will try it out some more. Would be nice with mono/stereo options for separate tracks.

4/5. Newer tried macros. Maybe I should get into that… But why not make it a tool?!

6. I have made two track with a drum loop. I group them, then I open one of them in audio editor and move using free warp. You can see the two tracks do not follow each other in the project window (see screen dump ): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/242 ... g_Warp.png

Am I missing something?!
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK

MASTER: MacPro3,1 w. 2 X Quad-core 2.8 GHz | 24 GB RAM | Projects HD RAID | Samples 1 X SSD + 3 X eSata HD | Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
SLAVES: 2 PCs both i7 | 16/32 GB RAM | SSD | Windows 7 Ultimate | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
Cubase 7.0.6 | Logic 9.1.8 | WaveLab 7.2 | Sibelius 6.2 | VEP5 | EWQL SO/Choir/Ra/Silk/SD2/Pianos | LASS 2 | CineHarp | Cineorch | NI Komplete 9 Ultimate | ProjectSAM Flute FX & Symphobia | Spectrasonics Stylus/Omnisphere/Trilian | Spitfire Albion |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SoundComposer

Postby JMCecil » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm

SoundComposer wrote:4/5. Newer tried macros. Maybe I should get into that… But why not make it a tool?!

4 already is, 5 can be done in a macro easily.

6. I have made two track with a drum loop. I group them, then I open one of them in audio editor and move using free warp. You can see the two tracks do not follow each other in the project window (see screen dump ): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/242 ... g_Warp.png

Am I missing something?!

AHHH, no I was missing something from your original explanation. Grouping the way you have it only applies to the arrange page. What you want to do is make a folder, move the files to the folder and enable group editing on the folder. Then it will behave closer to how you want. You need to read up on group editing though, it has its own little peculiarities that take a bit of getting used to.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby JMCecil » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Also, I should add that there isn't multi-track warping. That is an oft requested feature already.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Starsprinkler » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 pm

4) Edit / Select / From Cursor to End

5) Select all tracks, before or after you do (4).
Or make a macro, as already said, it's very powerful and still very easy to setup (I've done it, as a beginner).
You just need two commands in this case: 1) Edit-Select All, 2) Edit-Select from Cursor to End.
Starsprinkler

Postby SoundComposer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 pm

I've been fiddling with the group editing both via folders and via grouping separate parts now and even after reading the manual it seems as if there is no way to do free audio warp one track and have the other tracks warp exactly the same (useful when one sound source is recorded by several microphones).

OMG macros are amazing! :) I feel like a total newbie to learn these simple features now after using Cubase all my life and making music for a living ;) Thanks guys - you rock!
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK

SoundComposer

Postby JMCecil » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:33 pm

SoundComposer wrote:there is no way to do free audio warp one track and have the other tracks warp exactly the same (useful when one sound source is recorded by several microphones).

Correct, hence the "oft requested feature". Group edit was a good start, but it doesn't account for warping multiple items. The current concept seems to be very 4/4 drums oriented.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby SoundComposer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 pm

It still seems as I can't make a selection:

From cursor to end on selected track only

How would this be possible with a macro?!
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK

SoundComposer

Postby Tone1975 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 am

Please can we have a group warp feature?

I have a project where I need to warp multi microphones and need to stay in phase.

I didn't realize Cubase cannot do this and wish I had updated pro tools instead of Cubase :oops:
Tone1975

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:12 pm

SoundComposer wrote:It still seems as I can't make a selection:

From cursor to end on selected track only

How would this be possible with a macro?!

just shift+double click an event, it will select everything to the right of it as well.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby SoundComposer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Brilliant! Will try it out :)

Thanks!
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK

SoundComposer

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions