[SOLVED] Hanging midi notes with external controller

Checked your questions meanwhile, and hereā€™s the result.
My test setup was exactly as described in your steps 1-4 at the end of your post.

1. All other instrument apps closed, just cubasis running
  2. Settings:
  • polyphony: 32, no change of behavior at 64
  • hardware latency 256 (iPad Air 128 Gb)
  • large recording buffer off
  • sample rate 44.1 khz
  • no sustain pedal connected
    3.+4. Midi dropouts in Microsonic intruments happen both while playing, and while recording from the Kingkorg
    Then the missing notes (for example in chords) are visible in the recorded track as well and therefore played back like in live play.
  1. In my test setup I have only one instance of Mcirologue and no other intsruments running, just to be sure.

The result is still missing notes and casual (rare) hanging notes.

And the difference is still, that none of the problems occurs when I use the same keyboard (Kingkorg) with the same original Apple cam kit and other synth apps: I get these midi problems with none of the other I tested so far.

Something within Cubasis midi implementation seems to work different than in the other apps, and it obviously causes midi problems which do not occur with the other midi intrument apps.

Focusrite has similar problems: with not so few midi controllers their interface just does not work properly, even though they are class compliant, and even though the same controllers work just fine with the Apple camera connection kit.

Seems like homework to do for both companies, to get at least on the compatibility level of the camera connection kit for class compliant usb midi connections.

Hi Jan & RG,

Thank you for a great app. But it is now broken with the 1.8.1 upgrade (ipad Air, 128GB, 7.04 Operating System, Alesis Q49 controller and Lightning USB connector) and it was running absolutely perfectly just prior to this upgrade.

I can completely concur and confirm that what has been said here in this string about hanging notes and loss of polyphony is happening to me as well. In fact, I cannot reliably play more than 1 note at a time from my Alesis Q49 midi controller without losing notes. I am using an authentic Apple brand Lightning to USB adapter, (usually sold for camera connection, but is well known to work great for midi as well). That same controller and interface works fine with all of my other music apps. So I know itā€™s not the controller or USB connector and it is not likely the iPad that is the issue. The problem exists even with a brand new project with only 1 instrument loaded and no tracks playing, all other music and instrument apps closed, just Cubasis running.

I have tried changing all midi and polyphony settings in Cubasis, rebooting, etc. The v 1.8.1 update has essentially reduced Cubasis to being just a monophonic set-up (that refuses to play even 2-note chords) and that hangs notes quite frequently. Sadly it is unusable.

I understand that you canā€™t reproduce the problem on your end. Please be assured that there is a problem, a big problem. The last bug that I reported, you were thankfully able to reproduce, and you promptly fixed it in the next upgrade. Thank you. Please do so again.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,
iĀ“m a rookie here, thanks for this interesting and useful forum and all posts in it.

i have the exact same problem with apple cck + ipad air + Alesis Q49 + Cubasis or Nanoloque (no other instruments apps running). It really does the same with only Nanoloque running.

I tried this with my wifeĀ“s electricpiano (Thomann DP-30, itĀ“s midimodule is made by Medeli) and everything works with it.

I would really appreciate to get help with this problem.

Thanks.
Aatu

Hello,

thanks to your contribution we could reproduce the problem of the hanging notes in our labs!
This problem occurs when working with certain MIDI devices that use USB connection. We will continue our investigations on this rare problem to find a solution and will keep you updated!

Thanks for the info update!
Glad you could reproduce the issue to be able to find a solution.

I just bought Cubasis, excited at first in how it will change my songwriting workflow, but disappointed in the stuck notes with the included ā€˜Microā€™ instruments. I use a 3rd gen Ipad with an Alesis IODock (1.07 firmware with its own stuck midi fix!) as the Midi Interface for my Yamaha NP-31 keyboard (all on AC power). Iā€™ve also experienced the loss of notes when playing a single instrument/track, and hung midi notes with and without the sustain pedal. Microsonic PolySynth is the worst offender at both dropping and hanging notes.

I look forward to hearing if there is something to correct the problem or if we can expect the patch. Glad youā€™ve been able to reproduce the issue!

I just tried again after getting the latest update. I thought everything was working when playing but as soon as I tried to record the built in piano I started losing notes. My workaround is to record SampleTank using IAA. Itā€™s odd but I just recorded a full song that way with no problems,

The issue is in evaluation.

Hi,
has this evaluation progressed?

Thanks for your help
Aatu

Hi Aatu,

Good news: weā€™ve been able to reproduce the Alesis Q49 issue.
A fix is planned to be included in the next Cubasis update.

Best,

Lars

Hi Jan & RG,
I am having the same experience as Paul, using iOS 8.1 and Alesis Q49.
I hope you will be able to post an update to Fix this soon, as it is unusable to me now.

Thank you for a great app. But it is now broken with the 1.8.1 upgrade (ipad Air, 128GB, 8.1 Operating System, Alesis Q49 controller and Lightning USB connector).

I can completely concur and confirm that what has been said here in this string about hanging notes and loss of polyphony is happening to me as well. In fact, I cannot reliably play more than 1 note at a time from my Alesis Q49 midi controller without losing notes. I am using an authentic Apple brand Lightning to USB adapter. That same controller and interface works fine with all of my other music apps. So I know itā€™s not the controller or USB connector and it is not likely the iPad that is the issue. The problem exists even with a brand new project with only 1 instrument loaded and no tracks playing, all other music and instrument apps closed, just Cubasis running.

Thanks,
Dave

As mentioned above, the issue will be fixed with the next Cubasis update.

Now that 1.8.3 has been released please let us have your feedback about the interaction between Cubasis and your external controllers (that have not worked before).

Thanks

Lars

First test with my Micrikorg XL+ (through camera connection kit / usb) went absolutely smooth. No hangers any more, no matter how fast I played.

And the folder structure (constand open folders up to 1.8.2) does not drive me crazy any more.

Really happy with the update so far!

We are more than happy to hear that! :smiley:

Same positive result with Kingkorg synth (midi over usb).

Thanks again, jimknopf!

Thank you for good work, this update solved all my problems with Cubasis and Alesis Q49.
Now everything works fine.

Greetings
Aatu

Hi,

very glad to hear!! :sunglasses:

Thanks
RG