Changing/selecting midi keyboard instruments

I’ll start off by saying I’ve not used midi sequencers and keyboards since the mid-90s, when I had a very basic sequencer program on my Atari ST and the cheapest midi keyboard I could find! So it’s been a while, but I remember it all being pretty straightforward to assign an instrument to a midi channel and get on with recording from my keyboard, editing the tracks in the sequencer and playing it all back.

I wanted to get back into midi, and recently got a new keyboard, and also got Cubasis on my iPad. However, I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do one of the most basic and fundamental things - tell Cubasis which instrument on my keyboard I want it to play on any given midi track. All I can see are ways to assign virtual instruments, but I just want to record what I’m playing on my keyboard and play it back with the instrument I choose. I can’t seem to find anything relevant on the user guide or from googling. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

and welcome to Cubasis. Glad to have you with us!

Could you please tell us what setup you are using? iPad, iOS, Apps and audio interface, if any?!

So as you consulted the manual already regarding this, are we talking about the wish to route MIDI to an external expander or other MIDI device?

Thanks
RG

Thanks for your reply.

I have an ipad 3 on ios7 with an irig midi adapter, with midi in and midi out going to my yamaha midi keyboard. I know that the midi is working because I can record and play back notes using cubasis.

What I don’t understand is how to tell cubasis which of my keyboard’s voices I want it to select on each midi channel. If my keyboard has a piano voice as the default voice for, say, midi channel 1, it will play back the track on midi channel 1 that cubasis tells it to play. But how do i use cubasis to tell the keyboard to change the voice on that channel?

I have downloaded many GM compatible midi files from the web and saved them to USB, connected the USB to my keyboard directly and, on the whole, the midi files contain the information to tell the keyboard which voice to use on which midi channel. What I can’t figure out is how to tell cubasis to include information about which of my keyboard’s voices I want it to select on any given midi channel.

I hope this makes sense!

Each midi track in cubasis has routing tab for midi in and midi out

Midi in you select the hardware and the channel it is transmitting on (i usually always transmit on ch1)
Midi Out On the same track choose output channel (this will be the channel of the voice you want to play on your ext keyboard)
if you have turned Local off on your keyboard you need to enable THRU in cubaisis for the current track/channel which will allow you to hear what you play on your keyboard as it been recorded…
Use THRU only if needed.