1.9 a move in the right direction.

This is an excellent move. If it’s an any indication of the direction that Steinberg are taking with Cubasis, then maybe it’s not too long before we see in app options for synths, drum modules with independent outputs to the mixer and a sampler. iOS-VST?

This really is as exciting as the old days of the Atari and Cubase, without a Midex and a load of MIDI cables :slight_smile:

Long live Cubase.

I have to second this as this update got me using Cubasis again and aside from some annoying little bugs its actually really good for what I need at the moment.

Hi Dave.

It’s refreshing to know that others are pragmatic when it comes to Cubasis. As you say, there are some annoying little bugs. But in reality, and I’m not saying that it is right or acceptable, but I doubt that there are many audio post applications that don’t have bugs. For me, none of the minor issues I run into with Cubasis, stop me from getting a result. Plus, Steinberg are very active with updates that either sort out certain issues or introduce great new features.

I’ve only just got back into music over the last year or so, after 15 years of not doing any, and this is down to Cubasis. Although I have some powerful computers for doing video/film work, and could just as easily have gone straight back to Cubase. The ability to get back to basics, as in the song and not so much over production, and being able to take my studio anywhere meant that Cubasis was the way to go. For me, its simplicity and lack of clutter is simply inspiring.

I’ve owned a number of studios in the past and done a fair amount of commercial production work. This was always based around various Cubase setups and then onto Nuendo for TV/film. The majority of my commercial music production work in the past was dance pop. This meant using many external synths, drum machines and a huges 6 machine S1100 rig. Now I’m not saying that Cubasis will give the same options. But my Cubasis setup is using high quality monitors, amp, microphones and interface, and I am absolutely blown away with the outputs.

Out of interest and maybe something that may interest you from a Cubasis user’s point of view. I am in the process of producing an album for a singer/songwriter who traditionally comes from a band background. The album is being done entirely within Cubasis, no external iOS synths or processors and no external hardware synths or processors. Just the internal synth, FX and a bunch of good mics, an 18i20 and various guitars. I will PM you a link to a sample of one of the monitor mixes.

I do understand that other users have different expectations of Cubasis, and fully understand the frustration of things not working. But beating up Steinberg over it isn’t the right way to go about it, and I don’t say that lightly as I do believe that manufacturers should be held accountable. But in the gloabal scheme of things if it isn’t working for you, then it isn’t really too difficult to walk away from a £35 investment and find something more suitable. And £10 for two FX packs, no matter how complex they are or not, isn’t even an argument.

Long live Cubase :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Dave.

I can live with most bugs but when a bug interferes with the most critical part of production and creativity thats where i draw the line…
For me this is Timing
maybe some people are more sensitive than others to this, but what i notice is that when i play to record anything in to cubasis it never plays back on time, it always out by some degree and when it comes to midi same deal…
- YouTube (a crude example only first 29 seconds are relevant)

So… yeah…
Cubasis looks great… on screen workflow is good etc…
but then you start to record and BAM! (headache) :unamused:

Hi.

I’m not too sure what you where pointing out in the video. If it was the glitched note, you started your phrase at the end of the loop and not the beginning. So your first note was played in the wrong place and its sustain wasn’t all recorded. If I’ve understood what you where pointing out. The GUI keyboard isn’t really that good for accurately playing in note data either. Personally, I use a midi keyboard and would always use a temp drum pattern as a metronome, until my proper drums are in or even as a tempo/timing guide for instrumental work.

Like I said earlier, I do have issues myself, most notably notes dropping on play back. This is most noticeable on drum parts where consistent kicks, snares and hats are not triggered properly. Although it is an inconvenience, it doesn’t effect the final master render. So it is something that I can personally live with. This maybe down to using a number of instances of the same kit in order to split my kit for mixing, it’s not a CPU issue.

There are other slight things that I’ve noticed. But, and again for me personally, they don’t effect the final mix render and can be easily worked around. I come from a traditional hardware studio background, where you would have to work around real show stopper issues, due to the compounded problems inherent in many devices. So for me, Cubasis and its little niggles are a walk in the park compared to stuff I used to have to put up with.

Another thing that reduces issues for my own personal workflow, is the total lack of any iOS bussing systems. While these things are great in theory, practice is very different and this isn’t necessarily a Cubasis or Steinberg issue, Apple and iOS do have problems. While most people want to express their creativity by linking to various iOS apps outside of Cubasis, and rightly so. I really don’t mind sticking with Cubasis’ internal synth and sample sounds. It helps to reduce certain issues and also allows for complete recall when doing collaborative work via file sharing of session and project data over the web. Although I really hope we see in app purchase options for extra instruments, like the new FX packs. ViOST :slight_smile:

The thing that is really important for me is that my recorded audio in Cubasis is exactly the same as it would be with Cubase, Nuendo or other DAWs like ProTools. So as a starting point, I can’t really go that wrong. Complicated over produced effects are not something that you can put Cubasis up against with Nuendo, ProTools etc. But for me and what I’m using Cubasis for, it really is quite exceptional what can be achieved with its own effects, and more so now with the FX packs. Basically, a great song will always be a great song no matter what you record and produce it with. And Cubasis matched with good musicians, producers, interfaces, external instruments, and a great song. Is easily good enough for making commercially releasable records.

Back in the day. I used to use an eight track with a stripped FSK track driving an external CV/gate sequencer. Now that was a pain. Even after Pro 12 and 24, going to Cudase on an Atari with an XRI time code generator stripped to various multitracks, the pain didn’t stop :slight_smile: I guess for dinosaurs like me, it’s easier to see and concentrate on the obvious plus points of Cubasis.

Long live Cubase.

Cheers,
Dave.

Great to see that kind of feedback, appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Lars

@Dave:

I agree… if you can ignore timing issues the potential is Massive!
and great professional tracks can be created.
The video was Crude to demonstrate that following metronome does not work
I have setup a dedicated drum track with the same issue.
Using audio is the same problem with timing all sound or notes are recorded with what i perceive as
Negative latency

which means all events are placed on the timeline several milliseconds before it was suppose to happen
which is why you see in the video that the note gets truncated. Its not that i didnt play in on the bar
its because it was played on the bar but was pulled in and placed on the time line earlier than it was executed.
I used the Midi track to exaggerate the effect so it would be seen and heard.

I can understand real latency where an event is captured later than it execution… but when events that are play on time are then executed earlier on the time line thats a major BUG that needs addressing.
This could probably be resolved for midi events by realtime quantizing… but i don’t see that option in the current version of Cubasis.

Ah, I get it now, sorry for missing the point.

Maybe I’ve had similar issues, although I’m not really a keyboard player so I may have mistaken it for bad timing on my part :slight_smile:

I will have a good look at the scenario again on my own setup. Although I don’t really seem to have very obvious issues playing in, I use the midi in on the 18i20, and audio doesn’t seem problematic either. The artist I am working with sings and plays guitars via the 18i20, and doesn’t notice any issues.

The one thing that is a big surprise for me, is latency, or lack of it. I don’t know if different interfaces work better or not with Cubasis, or if there is any sort of auto delay compensation. Even when playing things and adding effects during the recording, there is no perceived latency with the live signal and what Cubasis is processing/adding live.

Again, these things may be there and so small that I’m simply not noticing them. But in my experience, and as far as latency or any kind of buffer issues are concerned. Cubasis and the 18i20 is easier to set up, as in no setting up, than previous RME/Nuendo/Cubase Settups.

Cheers,
Dave.