[R-12659]In 7.5.2 MIDI Device Manager disconnects everytime

A read-only forum for all solved issues.

[R-12659]In 7.5.2 MIDI Device Manager disconnects everytime

Postby Keezix » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 pm

I just "upgraded" to Cubase 7.5.2 yesterday. Immediately, there is a new and epic bug which is costing me enormous amounts of time to settle. :twisted: Specifically, when either starting a new project or opening an existing project, all external MIDI devices becomes disconnected in the MIDI Device Manager. Since I have a couple of dozen devices, reconnecting each device every single time I open or start a project, a great deal of time is lost. :evil: Everything worked fine for me in version 7.5.1. Is there any way to reinstall 7.5.1? :shock:

Here are the steps:

1) Either start a new project from template, or open any existing project
2) When project window loads, an error message comes up stating "Missing MIDI ports", as well as dialog boxes to connect devices established in the project or template within the MIDI Device Manager. Assignments in track list show the expected instrument name followed by (disconnected).
3) Unless every single device is reconnected within the MIDI Device Manager, adding a new track with a new external MIDI device will come up as "disconnected".
4) I tried rebooting, and re-saving. This happens every single time regardless!

I'm now way behind schedule. Help! :o
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
Apple Mac Pro Intel Xeon Quad-core w/4 gig RAM
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
Apple iMac - Intel Core i3 w/4 gig RAM,
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
A couple dozen MIDI devices, including 64 channel digital mixing console
Keezix

Re: In 7.5.2 MIDI Device Manager disconnects everytime

Postby Bach » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Not sure if this will help but did you try trashing Cubase preferences? (Make a backup in case this doesn't work though).
Cubase 7.5.1/6.5.3, Wavelab 7.2.1, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Halion 5,Halion Sonic 2, Virtual Guitarist 2, Neo Soul Keys
PC: Intel i74930, 3.4Ghz, Asus P9X79, 32GB RAM, ASUS GT610 Silent PCI-E
Audio Interface: RME UFX
Laptop: MacBook Pro i7 2.2 8GB RAM, OSX 10.7.5
Motif ES8
CC121
Bach

Postby Keezix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, considering the circumstances. There are a lot of preferences in the Library. I'm not quite sure where to start. Before I got your post, in response to Steinberg technical support (who have not yet been able to duplicate or solve this issue), I deleted each Device by using the "Remove Device" button within the "MIDI Device Manager", and then one by one re-installed them from a previously saved file, using the "Import Setup" command. I believe this has the same effect as removing the "Devices" from the "Panels" folder in Cubase Preferences in the computer Library folder and re-copying them, but maybe I'll try that as well. Interestingly, when attempting to use the "Remove Device" command on a Device while still in it's "Not Connected" state causes Cubase to immediately CRASH :o every single time. But, by re-connecting the devices first (using the "Output" field within the "MIDI Device Manager" window), "Remove Device" then works as expected. I've also discovered in the meantime that "MIDI Device Manager" shows everything "not connected" immediately after launch and before any project is loaded. This never happened before the 7.5.2 update!
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
Keezix

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 pm

You might try renaming Defaults.xml, Port Setup.xml to hide them from Cubase.

It's indispensable to have this reference: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... in-detail/
Then you can follow the steps outlined here: https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id= ... 5D=&L=1&#2

Long story short, rename the folder: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase 7.5/

And see if that ends the issue.
Cubase 7.5.30 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby Keezix » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 am

Steve: Thank you for the links. I will certainly give them a look as time permits. Meanwhile, here is an update from eariier:

In response to the suggestion to trash preferences, what I wound up doing was replacing a file in the "Library/Preferences/Cubase 7.5" folder I found called "Midi Devices.bin", with a file of the same name from the 7.0 Preferences (I had reverted to working in 7.0 where the MIDI works properly). This is the interesting result: After replacing this file and then launching Cubase 7.5.2, I immediately examined the "MIDI Device Manager". In that pane I could see that all of the MIDI Devices were now properly connected, which had not been the case since installing 7.5.2. Opening a project, everything remained connected and Cubase functioned exactly as it should! However... upon closing the project and then immediately examining the "MIDI Device Manager", I saw that everything was again "Not Connected" :evil: . Of course, at that point loading a project caused the "Not Connected" boxes to show up again. I was able to reproduce this experiment with exactly the same results every time.

The conclusion at this stage seems to be that the disconnection actually happens when closing a project (or quitting Cubase) and not on launch as I had originally thought. :geek:
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
Keezix

Postby Anthonie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 am

Same problem here since 7.5.20, not before. (I'm happy I made a backup of 7.5.10 before updating)

Here's the repro:
Trashed my preferences (Windows 7) in C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7.5_64

1. Create empty project
2. In MIDI Device Manager, Install Device, choose a device, set MIDI port output
3. Open Device
4. Enable Write in the device. In the Project Window, a folder called 'MIDI Device Automation' is created with one automation track in it.
5. Closing the project (or removing the automation track in the Project Window), sets the MIDI port of the device to 'Not Connected'. It stays disconnected after re-opening this project or opening another project.
Cubase 7.5.30 64 bits | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits | 16 GB RAM | i5 3.3 GHz processor| SSD 256 GB | Steinberg MR816x | Steinberg Midex 8 | Motu Midi Express 128 | much hardware
Anthonie

Postby Keezix » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 am

Yes!!! I was just about to post the exact same findings after spending all day yesterday digging into this problem. I did the same trashing of preferences (except on a Mac), and performed a bunch of experiments which led to the very same results you've have outlined here so well!!

I'm so happy you've posted your repo, because tech support has thus far been somewhat dismissive of this problem, claiming that I was the only one to have this problem, and that it was most likely something only my system causing this to happen. Now it is clear that this is a BUG specific to 7.5.2, and now we have some ammunition towards getting it fixed!!

Thank you very much!
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
Keezix

Postby Anthonie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Yes, so it seems to happen on both Mac and Windows.
I hope Steinberg can confirm this problem.
Meanwhile I'll stay on 7.5.10
Cubase 7.5.30 64 bits | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits | 16 GB RAM | i5 3.3 GHz processor| SSD 256 GB | Steinberg MR816x | Steinberg Midex 8 | Motu Midi Express 128 | much hardware
Anthonie

Postby SteveInChicago » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Confirmed here too.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby alexis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm

awaiting delivery of the new rig I will use 7.5.20 in, currently on 6.5 in XP.

The only external MIDI I use is input from a Yamaha Motif Classic (USB MIDI). Do the problems described in this thread apply to that kind of MIDI input ... should I expect to have to restart C 7.5.20 every time I close/reopen a project if I want to use the Motif in the new project?

EDIT: actually, I use a BCF 2K via USB MIDI as well. Same issues expected?
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby Keezix » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Alexis: This now confirmed bug only affects those external devices defined in the "MIDI Device Manager" for which an automation track has been created for it. It absolutely doesn't make any difference what device(s) you are connecting. If you are only using the Motif as an input controller, you're not likely to encounter this, unless you want to automate it's setup (For example having it's "local control" automatically switch to "off" for computer, rather than live use). Closing and reopening a project won't help with this. The device will remain "Not Connected" until you go into the "MIDI Device Manager" and manually re-connect the output.

For me this was a complete showstopper, because I use templates with folders of automation tracks in place for most of my couple dozen external devices. This had the effect of essentially disconnecting my entire MIDI system every-time I wanted to open or start a project. Reconnecting all of these Devices every time is ridiculous!

I have no choice but to retreat back to 7.5.1 where this is not an issue. I still have the installer and I hope it works this way. I've been a Cubase user since it's inception in 1989 and this is the very first time I've had to "downgrade". I'll have to stay "downgraded" until this is fixed.
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
Keezix

Postby alexis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks, Keezix. I`m sorry to hear about your problems ...

I checked in my MIDI Device Manager - "MOTIF DEVICE" is listed there. I use the Motif to get MIDI into Cubase 6.5, and also I am able to tell Cubase 6.5 to send MIDI messages to the Motif so the right sound/instrument can be played. What I *don't* use the Motif for is to control any automation.

I understand you don't have this kind of set up ... but do you think I would have the same issues you describe as occurring in your system?

Thanks much -
Alexis

- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby Keezix » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 pm

So long as you don't specifically create a "MIDI Device automation" track for the Motif (or any other device), you won't encounter this bug. This is a different type of track that can only be created by selecting the Motif in the MIDI Device Manager, clicking on "Open Device", and then activating the "write" button within the newly opened Device window. So those are the actions to avoid. The actual MIDI track you use for playing the Motif turns out to be unrelated to this particular issue. This issue is brand new to 7.5.2. If you upgrade to 7.5.0 or 7.5.1 instead you will not run into this at all (although maybe others :-)
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
Keezix

Postby alexis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Keezix wrote:So long as you don't specifically create a "MIDI Device automation" track for the Motif (or any other device), you won't encounter this bug. This is a different type of track that can only be created by selecting the Motif in the MIDI Device Manager, clicking on "Open Device", and then activating the "write" button within the newly opened Device window. So those are the actions to avoid. The actual MIDI track you use for playing the Motif turns out to be unrelated to this particular issue. This issue is brand new to 7.5.2. If you upgrade to 7.5.0 or 7.5.1 instead you will not run into this at all (although maybe others :-)

Thank you again, Keezix. I hope you get your old workflow up and running soon. Awfully nice of you to help out!
Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Postby Anthonie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Keezix wrote:This had the effect of essentially disconnecting my entire MIDI system every-time I wanted to open or start a project. I have no choice but to retreat back to 7.5.1 where this is not an issue.

Here the same.
My Default project has thirteen MIDI devices installed, with associated panels. I use automation of them in every project.
In 7.5.20, before changing a project, Cubase has to be closed and restarted to reconnect the MIDI Devices installed in MIDI Device Manager.
Anthonie

Postby AP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 am

Keezix wrote:Alexis: This now confirmed bug only affects those external devices defined in the "MIDI Device Manager" for which an automation track has been created for it. It absolutely doesn't make any difference what device(s) you are connecting. If you are only using the Motif as an input controller, you're not likely to encounter this, unless you want to automate it's setup (For example having it's "local control" automatically switch to "off" for computer, rather than live use). Closing and reopening a project won't help with this. The device will remain "Not Connected" until you go into the "MIDI Device Manager" and manually re-connect the output.

For me this was a complete showstopper, because I use templates with folders of automation tracks in place for most of my couple dozen external devices. This had the effect of essentially disconnecting my entire MIDI system every-time I wanted to open or start a project. Reconnecting all of these Devices every time is ridiculous!

I have no choice but to retreat back to 7.5.1 where this is not an issue. I still have the installer and I hope it works this way. I've been a Cubase user since it's inception in 1989 and this is the very first time I've had to "downgrade". I'll have to stay "downgraded" until this is fixed.

Thank you for explaining this very clearly and sorry you're experiencing that issue. I'll stay on top of this issue. I was planning to buy a new yamaha mx 49 that might be affected.
Cubase 7.5.30, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.5 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby Keezix » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm happy to report that I just received a response from my tech support representative at Yamaha, who has finally confirmed this bug and reported it. As such, the developers are now aware of this issue, so hopefully it will be fixed in a future version. Meanwhile, I successfully "downgraded" back to 7.5.1 which works perfectly fine for the way I use Cubase, and I can now get back to getting actual work completed.

Thanks to all of you who have assisted with this issue!
Cubase 7.5.1 (32 bit)
running OSX 10.8.5
MOTU 2408 Mk3/ PCIe-424
MOTU midi express XT
also running OSX 10.8.5
Alesis io|14
Keezix

Postby Anthonie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Keezix wrote:I'm happy to report that I just received a response from my tech support representative at Yamaha, who has finally confirmed this bug and reported it. As such, the developers are now aware of this issue, so hopefully it will be fixed in a future version. Meanwhile, I successfully "downgraded" back to 7.5.1 which works perfectly fine for the way I use Cubase, and I can now get back to getting actual work completed.

Thanks to all of you who have assisted with this issue!

Okay that's good news, thanks sharing.
Anthonie

Re: [R-12659]In 7.5.2 MIDI Device Manager disconnects everyt

Postby Guillermo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello all,

Thank you for the report.
As mentioned, it was already reported, I am moving this thread to the collected issues forum.
It will be fix on a future update.

Best regards,
GN
Guillermo Navarrete, Online Product Specialist
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Guillermo

Re: [R-12659]In 7.5.2 MIDI Device Manager disconnects everyt

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks Guillermo- btw it was actually this forum thread that was the initial report for this. Thanks to Keezix for that! :)
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Return to Solved Issues