Can I convert Cubase VST5 projects to Cubase6?

I quite frequently convert old CubaseVST3/4/5 and Atari created PRT., SNG. and .ALL files to run on C6 with great success. Because this is a Mac thread, these are Mac solutions. Go here and download this particular version of SX3:

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net:21//Download/Cubase_4/Cubase_SX_3_VST_Song_Conversion/Mac/SX3.1_CD_Installer_Mac.dmg

As long as your eLicence software is current, this version will launch.

Before you launch SX3, take your VST Plug-Ins folder and move it into another folder with another name like: “VST Temp Hold” or something. You can leave the VST 3 folder alone. SX3 will most likely fail to launch if it sees any “modern” plug-ins. Do this and I promise you SX3 will launch on an Intel box…

You should be able to recover all of your audio VSTi and MIDI tracks minus plug-ins. And there should be enough info in the launch prompt to clue you into what’s missing giving you clues as to what you originally used and where, making it possible to reload some of the original plug-ins and/or reasonable substitutions. Once the file loads, don’t screw around with it. Immediately save the file as a brand new .CPR, which will load into C6. Taxing SX3 on an Intel by opening editors and stuff is a recipe for crashing. Load it, take notes, save it. Then Quit SX3.

Don’t forget to move the VST folder back to its original position after quitting SX3 and before you launch C6. Yes, there may be some esoteric pre-SX features you used which will not come back…but the bread and butter stuff will. You have to treat this process like an archeological dig for dinosaur bones. You may not find everything…but there should be enough to get the skeleton up. An old mix of the tune may give you a ton of clues as to what was used. If you saved the original with drum maps, you’ll find those come back too.

As to the Lion issue…you early adopters are not totally out of luck using SX3. If you absolutely have to reconstitute an old file, you will have to create a bootable drive (internal or external) with 10.6.8 and SX3 on it. If you have a brand new Mac that shipped with 10.7 on it, you’re going to need access to a pre-10.7 machine. The new boxes won’t run 10.6.