Demystifying the Control Room In Cubase - Tutorial Series

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

Demystifying the Control Room In Cubase - Tutorial Series

Postby SLD Music » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:44 am

I hope posting this is within the rules. Apologies if it's not.

Anyone insterested in the ins and outs of the control room in Cubase is welcome to check out my newly released youtube series, "Demystifying The Control Room In Cubase". It's 18 videos and a couple hours long, but very step by step and thorough. It covers Cubase 6.5, but Cubase 7 works very similarly, and the information will translate to Cubase 7 easily once you understand where everything is. I originally presented this information for the Phoenix, Arizona area Cubase user's group.

Check it out (for free of course) on my youtube channel (via my website) here:

Demystifying the Control Room in Cubase - Tutorials

and here's the direct link to my youtube channel if you prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSLDMusic/videos?view=0&flow=%20grid
Last edited by SLD Music on Sat May 04, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 27" Quad Core 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.7
Steinberg MR816, Motif XF8, Maschine, Cubase 6.5.3 / 7.03. Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Fabfilter Total Bundle, Sibelius
SLD Music

Re: Demystifying the Control Room In Cubase - Tutorial Series

Postby ThePresent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:46 am

Nice, just starting on part 2 and already feeling good by your clear presentation.
ThePresent
----------------
i5 750 - Windows 7 64 Bit - Cubase 6.5.5 32 bit - Arturia Minimoog V - M-Audio Fasttrack Pro - Emu XBoard 61
ThePresent

Postby Miki » Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Great tutorial. I never used the Control Room because I really didn't understand it.

Many thanks. :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Homebrew PC - Intel I7 3770K - ASUS p8 Z77-V PRO with 32gb RAM - Samsung SSD (500gb) / Cubase 6 & 7 / M-Audio Delta 1010LT
Miki

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks - that's very helpful.
MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core i5 2.5Ghz 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9, Apogee Duet Firewire, Yamaha S90, Cubase 7.5, Komplete 9, HALion 5.0.1
ChrisW

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Fri May 03, 2013 9:32 am

Bredo wrote:And please tell Steinberg how much more clearer and informative the Control Room mixer is in C6.5 than in C7.
Better and bigger meters, all inserts (or meters) with one click. Bigger and better faders etc....

All that aside, good work. Now I can send them to you when getting all the questions about the Control Room feature :) .

I've been using this feature for years, and it is one of the best feature in Cubase/Nuendo. Unique of its kind in the DAW world. This is for me maybe the biggest reason to stay with Cubase 6.5/Nuendo 5.5 IMO, as I don't like the new mixer (or the new Control Room mixer) in C7 and N6.

+1 control room is one great feature. well done sb. only thing c6 is missing is a keycommand-assignable 'listen' command (cubase7 has added this option, all the while making the control room bulky and counter-intuitive to navigate -- how long did it take everyone to find the vst inserts section in it? seems like sb has signed a deal with lcd screen makers, making all the panels super wide in c7).
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby beppecec » Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 am

Thank you very very much !!!! So nice tutorials.
Beppe
beppecec

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Fri May 03, 2013 11:26 am

Bredo wrote:I made a macro to get it to work with my CC121 controller, but guess what.......
It contains only the default key command from Cubase 6.5: Mixer > Channels: Listen On/Off

I don't know about the Cubase 6.0 version.

Ah ok, im on 6.0, maybe its a 6.5 thing then. Is there even a way to x-grade to 6.5 now?
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby KevetS » Fri May 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Excellent!

Never thought that I needed Control Room, so avoided it (looked rather confusing, as well).
Up to video 6 now and it looks as though It may come in useful after all :shock:

Very clear and easy to understand. Well done SLD
Cubase 6.5.5

Win 7 64bit
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
8 GB RAM
KevetS

Postby SLD Music » Fri May 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Thank you all very much for the nice comments. As you might surmise, I worked very hard on this, and if I helped just ONE person understand this awesome and under-used feature more, then I consider my effort a success.

Glad to hear that people are finding it useful.

By the way, in Cuabse 6.5 you don't need a macro to activate the listen button on a selected channel. You just need the "Mixer -> Channels: Listen On/Off command" (as Bredo reported). This is a primary reason I can't use Cubase 7 for my main projects yet, as it's activate listen command does not affect the "selected channel" it effects only the red highlighted channel in th mix console. There's a difference, and it's a real pain in the butt. And I agree that Cubase 7's implementation of the control room is ... not as good as Cubase 6.5. :)

Anyway, I'm not hear to complain. Just to thank you all for the support. Thanks again.
Steinberg MR816, Motif XF8, Maschine, Cubase 6.5.3 / 7.03. Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Fabfilter Total Bundle, Sibelius
SLD Music

Postby taifun » Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Hey SLD, just wanted to say your effort is very much appreciated!!
Scan 3XS i7 3960X - 16 GB RAM - Nvidia Geforce GT 520 - Fireface 400 on a Lycom firewire card - Cubase 6.0.6 x64 - Win7 Pro x64 - Edirol PCR 800
taifun

Postby dbombay1 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 pm

SLD, you rock! Thanks for the great tutorial. Much appreciated.
D.A.
www.morris-young.com
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Processor: 2.80GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7-860
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55 Microboard
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1333 Dual Channel (4 x 2GB)
Graphics: DVI+VGA Fanless Graphics Card 512MB (HD4350)
RME Fireface 800 Lexicon MX400, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY77, Roland Synth Plus 60, Wurlitzer A200, Halion3.1, Addictive Drums, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, EWQL Silver Orch, Reason 4, NIB4, BCF2000, Focusrite VM Pro, Micro Moog, Mandolin, Banjo, Fender Strat, Gibson SG, Hi Strung Strat
dbombay1

Postby SpaceBlues » Sat May 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Thank´s for this series of videos of The Control Room In Cubase... 8-)
SpaceBlues

Postby mpayne0 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 pm

Well there goes my weekend. I will be checking this out to see if there's anything I'm missing.

I still haven't figured out the 'listen' thing.

At it's simplest, when not using the monitor switching, CR is great for just strapping the 2 buss processing and limiter THERE instead of the master buss, when you just want to audition the 'finished' sound without it actually affecting the track. Then on song 2, 3, 4... you still have the processing there. I love it for that.
mpayne0

Postby SLD Music » Mon May 13, 2013 4:23 pm

mpayne0,

Hope you were able to get something out of these. The listen bus is VERY useful for all kinds of reasons, and it's really not that difficult once you have a clear understanding of what's going on. If you watch up to about video 4 or 5 in my series, and still have questions about the listen bus, let me know.
SLD Music

Postby mpayne0 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:21 pm

That was an awesome tutorial. I did not understand the listen enable nor the listen level options, so I've been 'listening' the entire time, but not hearing it :lol:

You've got great teaching skill. Have you thought about a project/logical editor series? :twisted:
mpayne0

Postby SLD Music » Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 am

Thank you mpayne0! I appreciate the feedback. I have a bit of a teaching background.

I initially tried pitching this tutorial to MacProVideo, and they talked to me, but never went further with it. Totally cool, I was just happy to get the interview. :) Anyway, failing that I decided to go ahead and release it myself.

I will consider a project / logical editor tutorial for the future. I have other ideas I've already been working on as well.
A lot of tutorials do a great job of showing "how to do certain things" but they aren't so good with the "WHY things work". I try to focus on that because I think that knowing the "why's" makes it easier to figure out your own "how's" and develop your own workflow. And I'm more and more convinced that when it comes to modern music making, workflow is almost as important as musicianship.

Anyway, thanks again!
SLD Music

Postby mpayne0 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm

SLD Music wrote: And I'm more and more convinced that when it comes to modern music making, workflow is almost as important as musicianship.

Anyway, thanks again!

Oh it is.

I have been in heaven (or is it "L" :twisted: ) with the listen function. I have certain mud problems occasionally, etc. that generally go back to my fx sends. This is because of lack of an efficient way to check the wet signals easily. Now it's no effort to check and clean. Checking GR pumping against the rhynth tracks, lovely.

and haha they say don't EQ in solo... oh yeah is that right?

Not only that, but the studio sends lessons were top notch. I wasn't sure if I was missing out on any functionality there, but pretty sure I won't be using those right now... unless I get into referencing/comparing multiple master buss chains. Understanding the possibilities opens a lot up, so thank YOU sir! My music will be better.
mpayne0

Postby marQs » Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks SLD Music! Your explanations are superb. Far beyond what I've tried to explain to some Cubase fellows before :lol:

Though I'm using the Control Room features since they've arrived in Cubase I've learned/refreshed lots of things by watching the tutorials. And luckily it works pretty integrated with my Fireface 800 in ADM mode. Setting up different headphone mixes works great.

Thanks and respect!
...C7 | WL7 | FF800 | UAD2 Quad/Duo | Win7 64...
marQs

Postby SLD Music » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks again to you both.

I am currently in post-production on a sort of "making-of" series that is not so much a tutorial as a ... record and sharing of my process of creating a short choral piece from arrangement through to final recording. It will include all the ups and downs of it, particularly when everything fell apart and I had to solve several problems I wasn't sure how to solve. The idea is to share my process in a way that will hopefully inspire others (especially those who are new to it) to get past their own bumps in the road by helping them realize that EVERYONE encounters bumps--it's how you react to them that makes the difference.

That said, I am also in pre-production (creating outlines and plans) on another full blown tutorial series for another part of Cubase that I think would benefit a lot of people.

Anyway, thanks again to all those who have watched.
SLD Music

Postby alexis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 am

Hi SLD -

Just spent some significant time on these - they are completely wonderful!

I was wondering about something relating to external inputs, I hope it's OK to ask here:

Is it a reasonable use of the external input function of the Control Room to route a hardware processor's stereo aux return to there? Or are those best handled as regular inputs into the regular Cubase mixer? I'm having a hard time thinking through the pros and cons of possibly using the Control room like that ...

Thanks again SLD for the FANTASTIC Control Room vids!

(PS - I think I read you are considering doing a similar series on the PLE ... I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see that).
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby SLD Music » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks alexis--much appreciated.

As far as your question... You COULD route a hardware processor's returns to an external input, but I have hard time trying to figure out why you'd want to do it, or what advantage would be gained. The primary purpose of external inputs is to give you a way to route things to your control room (i.e. to your monitoring environment) so that they aren't a part of the main mix environment--allowing you to listen to them without affecting anything about your mix. There are several applications for external inputs in this regard. Although external inputs can ALSO be routed through the Cubase mixer by setting them up as an input to an audio track, you'd probably need to have a really special reason to route the returns of an external processor unit to an external input. Never say never, but I honestly can't think of a reason why you'd want to do that.

If you are indeed using your piece of hardware as an external processing device, I would set it up under "external FX" in VST connections, and then just use it as a traditional insert effect in the mixer (you can even use it in the control room inserts if you want).
SLD Music

Postby alexis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 pm

SLD Music wrote:Thanks alexis--much appreciated.

As far as your question... You COULD route a hardware processor's returns to an external input, but I have hard time trying to figure out why you'd want to do it, or what advantage would be gained. The primary purpose of external inputs is to give you a way to route things to your control room (i.e. to your monitoring environment) so that they aren't a part of the main mix environment--allowing you to listen to them without affecting anything about your mix. There are several applications for external inputs in this regard. Although external inputs can ALSO be routed through the Cubase mixer by setting them up as an input to an audio track, you'd probably need to have a really special reason to route the returns of an external processor unit to an external input. Never say never, but I honestly can't think of a reason why you'd want to do that.

If you are indeed using your piece of hardware as an external processing device, I would set it up under "external FX" in VST connections, and then just use it as a traditional insert effect in the mixer (you can even use it in the control room inserts if you want).

Thanks, SLD, much appreciated!

**************************************************************************************************
BTW - one more quick question if I could please?

Would you recommend the "brick wall limiter" in the last insert slot of:

a) The Control Room (as recommended in the Cubase 6 Ops manual, page 181), or
b) The Monitor channel ("Monitor 1" of the illustration on page 177, e.g.)?

I thought the safest would be option B, the Monitor Channel, to take into account any gain increases that inserts there might cause ... but why is option A better?

Thanks again!
****************************************************************************************************
Alexis

- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby SLD Music » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 pm

alexis,

Either one works. The only advantage to doing it at the control room channel as opposed to the monitor channel is that you only have to have one limiter, no matter what monitor your are listening on. If however, you are adding gain on the individual monitor channels (whether through the input gain, or inserts on the monitor channels), especially if its in any way unpredictable gain, AND/OR if there's a chance you'll be swapping around different monitors on your monitor channels, it might make sense to put the limiter there instead.

As for me, I just put the limiter on the control room channel--but if I have no inserts or input gain happening on my monitor channels. If I did, I might be tempted to put a limiter on the last insert slot of my monitor(s) as well. An even better, and more foolproof solution is to put a physical limiting device before the monitors AFTER you leave the interface itself. Some people do this. I'm not quite paranoid enough to go through the expense and trouble of going to that extreme though.
SLD Music

Postby alexis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 pm

SLD Music wrote:alexis,

Either one works. The only advantage to doing it at the control room channel as opposed to the monitor channel is that you only have to have one limiter, no matter what monitor your are listening on. If however, you are adding gain on the individual monitor channels (whether through the input gain, or inserts on the monitor channels), especially if its in any way unpredictable gain, AND/OR if there's a chance you'll be swapping around different monitors on your monitor channels, it might make sense to put the limiter there instead.

As for me, I just put the limiter on the control room channel--but if I have no inserts or input gain happening on my monitor channels. If I did, I might be tempted to put a limiter on the last insert slot of my monitor(s) as well. An even better, and more foolproof solution is to put a physical limiting device before the monitors AFTER you leave the interface itself. Some people do this. I'm not quite paranoid enough to go through the expense and trouble of going to that extreme though.

Thanks, SLD. A complete, calm, knowledgeable and reassuring answer ... just like your youtube vids! (Are you a teacher in "real life"?).

:-)
Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Postby bondsong » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Excellent work SLD!

Extremely informative and helpful.

I use an N12 with Cubase 6.5 and realized in the end I don't need to use the control room feature in Cubase. Most of the stuff is built into the N12 but it isn't because of lack of understanding the Control Room feature. Thanks to your videos.

Cheers,
Frank
Frank
__________________________________________________________________________________
Cubase 7.06 64 bit, Wavelab 7.2.6, Reason 6.5.3
OSX 10.8.5 Macbook Pro early 2011, 16 gb ram, Thunderbolt Display, Yamaha N12
Halion 5, Arturia V Collection 3, Komplete 8, Waves Mercury + Studio Classics 9 2.6
bondsong

Next

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6