Newbie question: different midi tracks and programs

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

Newbie question: different midi tracks and programs

Postby Nuno » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Hello,

I have three midi tracks and all of them have the same output (Halion Sonic SE - MIDI). I want every track to have a different program (or instrument/sound as you prefer) keeping though Halion as output, but what happens is when I change a program in one of the tracks, the program in the other two tracks change automatically. Is there any way that I can keep each track with a unique program (instrument/sound) while using the Halion?

Thanks again for the help!
Cubase Elements 7, Roland UA-1010 Octa-Capture, Oktava MK12 MSP6, Fishman Loudbox Artist, Zoom H4N, Yamaha MX49
Nuno

Re: Newbie question: different midi tracks and programs

Postby NWP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Whole manual devoted to the plug, what step went wrong?
NWP

Re: Newbie question: different midi tracks and programs

Postby Elektrobolt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:46 am

Nuno wrote:I have three midi tracks and all of them have the same output (Halion Sonic SE - MIDI). I want every track to have a different program (or instrument/sound as you prefer) keeping though Halion as output, but what happens is when I change a program in one of the tracks, the program in the other two tracks change automatically. Is there any way that I can keep each track with a unique program (instrument/sound) while using the Halion?

Yes, you can either create three Instrument Tracks (each would be using an instance of HALion), or you can create three instances in the Instrument Rack with three MIDI channels (each pointing to one of the rack slots). You could also use any combination of the two scenarios.

HALion (in general, although I have not really used HSSE) can also be, what in the old days of MIDI was called, a multi-timbral instrument. This means that one instance can listen to up to sixteen *channels* of MIDI data. One or more MIDI Tracks could then address this instance and these channels. This scenario, IMHO, is more tricky unless you've done or understand MIDI fairly well.

My opinion is to start with the instrument tracks and learn a bit of MIDI and as suggested, read up on the technologies involved (that means Cubase and HSSE as well). But that's just my opinion! :)
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6