recording iTunes etc into Cubase without audio interface???

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

recording iTunes etc into Cubase without audio interface???

Postby siyoungsounds » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any way of routing the audio output of my MacBook Pro directly into Cubase 6.5 without the use of an audio interface card. I want to be able to record music I'm listening to on iTunes or streaming audio on the internet (eg from Grooveshark) etc, without the hassle of using my RME Babyface or UFX.

I know this is possible with the interfaces by using the loopback feature, but I can't seem to get any audio from any other programs/internet into Cubase directly without the interfaces... would be very useful in a mobile situation!

Any clues??

Thanks

Simon
Si Young

www.myspace.com/siyoungsounds
siyoungsounds

Re: recording iTunes etc into Cubase without audio interface

Postby Parrotspain » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:11 am

Can you use File>Import>Audio File?
Quite a lot of file types are supported

P
Cubase 6.5.5 Build 176

System 1: AMD FX 8350 8 core 16Gb Win 7 64 Asus M5 A97
System 2: AMD FX 8320 8 core 16Gb Win7 64 Biostar A960D+
Parrotspain

Postby Strophoid » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't know about the built in audio interface of macbooks, but most onboard audio interfaces don't support that kind of routing.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby jaslan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 pm

This capability is disabled to prevent "recording" streaming digitally copyrighted media. On Windows, there is a way to do it by enabling the "stereo mix" virtual device which is "hidden". I don't know about doing it on OS though... Since asking Apple how to record streaming media from iTunes probably won't get you an answer, you might try asking Google (how ironic).
HTH
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby siyoungsounds » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:17 pm

jaslan wrote:This capability is disabled to prevent "recording" streaming digitally copyrighted media. On Windows, there is a way to do it by enabling the "stereo mix" virtual device which is "hidden". I don't know about doing it on OS though... Since asking Apple how to record streaming media from iTunes probably won't get you an answer, you might try asking Google (how ironic).
HTH
J.L.

Well I guess that makes sense! googling didn't come up with anything, so guess it isn't possible :(

Thanks anyway
Si Young

www.myspace.com/siyoungsounds
siyoungsounds

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:51 am

jaslan wrote:This capability is disabled to prevent "recording" streaming digitally copyrighted media. On Windows, there is a way to do it by enabling the "stereo mix" virtual device which is "hidden". I don't know about doing it on OS though... Since asking Apple how to record streaming media from iTunes probably won't get you an answer, you might try asking Google (how ironic).
HTH
J.L.

Hi Jaslan (or anyone else if you see this before the J man) -

I have a laptop that I'd like to have play Pandora into an analogue-only home receiver (without wireless capabilities).

Where is this "stereo mix" for me to enable that you speak of ("hidden"?)?

And could I route it out my laptop's stereo headphone output into a the receiver with the right connections? Would I need to use my preamp?

Thanks much -
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby NWP » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:58 am

alexis wrote:
HTH
J.L.

I have a laptop that I'd like to have play Pandora into an analogue-only home receiver (without wireless capabilities).

And could I route it out my laptop's stereo headphone output into a the receiver with the right connections? Would I need to use my preamp?

Thanks much -

Too lazy to Google the answer?
NWP

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:26 am

NWP wrote:
alexis wrote:
HTH
J.L.

Thanks much -

Too lazy to Google the answer?

Welcome back! :-) Google, wow, thanks!

"You're gonna need an ocean, of Calamine lotion ..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWfCxvDJRCI :lol:
Alexis

- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby jaslan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:21 am

The "Stereo Mix" bus is already routed to the headphone output...
It is just a "Virtual Device" that you can select as the source for recording.

HTH
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 am

jaslan wrote:The "Stereo Mix" bus is already routed to the headphone output...
It is just a "Virtual Device" that you can select as the source for recording.

HTH
J.L.

Thanks, Jaslan, I got my Pandora out of the home speakers, yea!

I don't need to "record what I hear" for now, but my Latitude D630 running XP seems to have everything grayed out except the microphone input for "sound recording" in the control panel. If I ever need to do that I'll check back here.

Thanks again, J!
Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6