How to make VST Instrument "channels" not tracks

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

How to make VST Instrument "channels" not tracks

Postby ruffels » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Folks
I am trying to switch from SX 2.5 to Cubase 6.5 and have run into one hitch. I use Steven Slate Drums (SSD) and in the past with 2.5 when I loaded SSD drum "channels" would appear for all the various drums in the kit. I could then assign the different instruments to those channels through the SSD mixer. Also with Kontakt 3 and 5 I could do this. With 6.5 all that the mixer has is a stereo channel for the whole kit. I can't see anywhere in the manual where it says how to create channels for individual parts of VST instruments. I can see how to create "tracks" but that seems to be different then what I'm after as I can't load individual drums and cymbals into those. Am I just being an idiot or does someone know how to do what I require? Thanks in advance for your help!
ruffels

Re: How to make VST Instrument "channels" not tracks

Postby JMCecil » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 pm

F11 "instrument rack" ... load the VSTi there. On the row on the Rack instance is a button to "enable" all the audio channels.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Re: How to make VST Instrument "channels" not tracks

Postby Elektrobolt » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:05 pm

There are "Instrument Tracks" and the there is the "VST Instruments" rack. The instrument tracks have limitations.

Just follow JMCecils instructions (i.e. using the VST Instruments rack) and you'll be fine.
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6