Cross copying tracks between projects

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

Cross copying tracks between projects

Postby wldn37 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Apart from exporting as MIDI files, is there a simple way of moving tracks and parts from one project to another.
Occasionally, I have written something 'good', and I'd like to import it to a current project.
wldn37

Re: Cross copying tracks between projects

Postby JamesTNL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 am

I'm not sure if this was already present in Cubase 6, but Cubase 7 has the ability to export (one or more audio/midi/group whatever) tracks to a 'track archive'. From the manual:

You can export Cubase tracks (audio, FX, group, instrument, MIDI, and video) as track
archives for import into other Cubase (or Nuendo) projects. All the information
associated with the tracks will be exported(channel settings, automation tracks, parts
and events, etc.). If you select the “Copy” option (see below), a separate “media”
folder will be created, containing copies of all referenced audio files.

Again, not sure if this applies to Cubase 6 as well, but perhaps this could be worth considering an upgrade for. It's been a very useful tool for me indeed!
Cubase 7.06 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - ASRock B85M-ITX - Intel Core i5 4570S - 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 - Dawicontrol DC-FW800 PCIe - Presonus Firebox - Xigmatek Nebula - be quiet! Pure Power L8 430W CM - Steinberg CMC-AI - Steinberg CMC-TP - Steinberg CMC-CH
JamesTNL

Postby thinkingcap » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 am

JamesTNL wrote:...-not sure if this applies to Cubase 6 as well,-...

It does.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby Parrotspain » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

If you open a donor project and new project into two windows, set so you can see both at once, you can simply highlight the data you want and drag and drop into the new project. Multiple tracks and mixtures of audio, instruments and MIDI all work fine.

One thing to resolve though is different tempos. Look up musical / linear mode in the manual to see which is right for your needs and set the tracks accordingly before dragging across. Then close the donor without saving,

The new track lines in the project will have picked up the level, eq and plugins.
Cubase 6.5.5 Build 176

System 1: AMD FX 8350 8 core 16Gb Win 7 64 Asus M5 A97
System 2: AMD FX 8320 8 core 16Gb Win7 64 Biostar A960D+
Parrotspain

Postby wldn37 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Many thanks to all your replies. I'll give them a try later today.
I suppose I should have tried harder with the (large) manual.
Thanks
wldn37 (Dave)
wldn37

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6