How would you rate pro tools midi capability

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.

How would you rate pro tools midi capability

Postby indiescore » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:51 am

In comparison to cubendo? I am Considering adding a native hd pro tools rig in order to make the delivery of score to the post house an easier transition. ( instead of sending wav tracks in a Zip file for each reel ). And just wondering if many of you have found that the midi environment for composing is on par with cubendo, or not.
John

CUBASE 7.5 MASTER AND SLAVE PC
WINDOWS 7 64 BIT i7 intel
32GIGS RAM
16GIGS RAM
indiescore

Re: How would you rate pro tools midi capability

Postby Headlands » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:47 am

It's not bad at all -- not too far from Cubendo in my opinion, though not as deep in some respects. I prefer Cubendo but many very successful composers I know use Pro Tools, so you'll be fine. I feel your pain with transferring -- it's the one major drawback of being on Cubendo, since almost everyone I work with in L.A. is on Pro Tools.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby DG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 am

Pro tools MIDI capabilities are way behind those of Cubendo, but I would bet that most people wouldn't really notice. If you are a power user, forget it. If not, it could work for you.

DG
Nuendo 6.07
Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 10 Core 20 Threads
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
nVidia GT 640 graphics card
DG

Postby indiescore » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I use a lot of midi sends, dabbling with vst expression, otherwise just lot of writing, quantizing, copy and pâste, and do use modify in track view sometimes to Drag notes out over more bars
John

32GIGS RAM
16GIGS RAM
indiescore

Postby Headlands » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm

The latest versions of Pro Tools have come a long way with MIDI. VST expression is obviously not there, but for everything else you mentioned there is very little difference. Cubendo is definitely better in certain deeper ways that some of us may prefer, but Pro Tools is used by many accomplished composers I know who do very heavy MIDI work. You won't miss too much in general, especially with PT 11 (I was just using it at a friend's studio).
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby DG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 pm

AFAIK Pro Tools has no Logical Editor equivalent. Maybe it's there in PT11, but as there are virtually no plugs available for PT11, I haven't bothered to install it.

DG
Nuendo 6.07
Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 10 Core 20 Threads
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
nVidia GT 640 graphics card
DG

Postby Headlands » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Yes, very true re: Logical Editor.
Headlands

Postby indiescore » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:37 am

Headlands wrote:The latest versions of Pro Tools have come a long way with MIDI. VST expression is obviously not there, but for everything else you mentioned there is very little difference. Cubendo is definitely better in certain deeper ways that some of us may prefer, but Pro Tools is used by many accomplished composers I know who do very heavy MIDI work. You won't miss too much in general, especially with PT 11 (I was just using it at a friend's studio).

Curious how your friends handle ongoing composer changes ( from Director feedback ) handoff from composer studio to the post house pro tools environment sound designers /post final mix process , currently, I just send new and or revised wav files with track name and they drop this in ( this method worked fine with C5 sound personnel in New York ) but If I am in a pro tools environment and I make changes to the score ( audio tracks ) , is the entire project file sent ? If yes, wouldn't that not sync as I dont have the post mix, other post changes they are making......clearly I have no PT experience to date so bear with me - lol
John

32GIGS RAM
16GIGS RAM
indiescore

Postby ipanema » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:37 am

indiescore wrote:If I am in a pro tools environment and I make changes to the score ( audio tracks ) , is the entire project file sent ? If yes, wouldn't that not sync as I dont have the post mix, other post changes they are making......

I can't understand why you would need to send your entire project file to anyone except when you want them to mix/master your music in your absence. Since you write music for picture, you obviously have a video file with basic sound (dialogues, etc.) as a reference, which in turn normally has a beep sound 2-3 seconds before the picture starts. That is obviously the sync reference for everyone working on that picture. I always include that beep in the rendered/bounced music wave file of the entire reel when I send my music to the sound editing/mixing studio, be it just a demo mix or the final master, and everything will be just fine. Maybe you work differently or I'm misunderstanding the whole point in your post, and you'd think why is this guy stating the obvious while he doesn't even understand what I'm talking about...

Getting back to the ProTools MIDI subject, in addition to the fact that the MIDI capabilities of Cubendo are superior as stated by other friends in this post, I would like to warn you against switching to ProTools as a currently Cubendo user, simply because they are two totally different apps in terms of architecture and UI, and for you to learn ProTools, you will need to entirely rewire your brain. IMHO, there is absolutely no reason for a Cubendo user who writes music for picture to switch to ProTools.

Cheers
System 1 (master): Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93GHz, 16GB Ram OS X 10.9.1, Nuendo 6.0.5 64bit, Cubase 7.5 64bit, M-Audio ProFire 610
System 2 (slave): Core i7 3930K, Intel DX79SR, 64GB RAM, Win7 64bit, M-Audio Projectmix I/O
MacKie HR824, Roland XV5080, 3x 24" LEDs, Multiple SSDs & 2-3TB HDDs, VSL VE Pro, MIR Pro, lots of VST Instruments and Plugins
ipanema

Postby indiescore » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:46 am

ipanema wrote:
indiescore wrote:If I am in a pro tools environment and I make changes to the score ( audio tracks ) , is the entire project file sent ? If yes, wouldn't that not sync as I dont have the post mix, other post changes they are making......

Maybe you work differently or I'm misunderstanding the whole point in your post, and you'd think why is this guy stating the obvious while he doesn't even understand what I'm talking about...
ls.

Cheers

No and yes, and yes, lol.... regarding your first paragraph i have the two pop for each reel , and proceed as you described, I am not asking generally how to sync a score, but in addition to midi comparisons, out of curiosity how headlands friends in the pro tools environment work together, handle mid project revisions, changes from composer to post house, if project files are exchanged or splits are just sent....
John

32GIGS RAM
16GIGS RAM
indiescore

Return to General