Nuage in use?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.

Re: Nuage in use?

Postby Robin Walsh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Bredo wrote:
Lydiot wrote:csd,

Fredo will tell you that this thread is about Nuage, not the mixer. He has also said that the new mixer design wasn't really done to make it compatible with Nuage. I still can't understand why people keep saying that's the case...

After some thoughts and reading about the matter, I tend to agree with you.

The new mixer is more about the result of "the whole world" going all "touch screen" on us. I think that Steinberg, when designing this, were expecting "most of the world" to jump on that hype.
I don't see that happen in the Pro Music/Post facilities and within the Pro Engineer/producer crowd.

But at least Steinberg will sell more Nuage's than Steven Slate will sell the of the Raven ;) . Tactile feel will win over touch screen every time IMO.

PS.
I would never use that kind of money on a piece of hardware that are tied so closely to any piece of software.
I am actually going the other way, looking for a "real" hardware mixer. That may be the best long term solution, if the software go all "iPad generation on us".

I disagree about touch screen not being pro.. Moving onto my first touch screen next month. Just been waiting for stock. I'll let you know how it goes. I am going to take advantage of the great new mixer design with touch screen. If this doesn't work for me..then Nuage it is!! ;)
Nuendo 6.5.2/64bit- Windows 8.1 -Nvidia K4000 - RME - UAD
Robin Walsh

Postby johngar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Lydiot wrote:csd,

Fredo will tell you that this thread is about Nuage, not the mixer. He has also said that the new mixer design wasn't really done to make it compatible with Nuage. I still can't understand why people keep saying that's the case...

From the NUAGE page on Steinberg's site:
"Steinberg’s Nuendo 6 represents the basis for all functions and features that can be operated via the Nuage controller hardware. Large parts of the Nuendo code base have been rewritten in order to make Nuendo the “brain” of the Nuage controller. This also includes the creation of completely new program areas such as the revolutionary mixer concept."
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nu ... ution.html
PC | Nuendo 6.5 64bit | Cubase 7.5 64bit| i7920 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | 12gb ram | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Genelec |

MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7 | OS X 10.9 | MOTU 828MKII |

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby Lydiot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm

v
Last edited by Lydiot on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please PM for conversation.
Lydiot

Postby Fredo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 am

Lydiot wrote:Nuage probably doesn't communicate with Nuendo using key commands.

That is correct. The integration is much beeper than through KC's.
The old fashioned KC's can be used together with the Nuage functionalities, so both are still there.

So why would any component of the Nuendo GUI require reprogramming to make Nuage work?

Because there are a lot of extra functions and/or some things might have had the need for a redesign to make them work for both (Nuage & standalone).

And the GUI and clicking is what people dislike, not necessarily primarily the functionality of the mixer.

Last thing about the mixer, then we will get back to Nuage questions. I thought I was clear about that.
There are a couple of things most of you seem to forget. The old mixer was becoming a PITA on some screen resolutions, so the resizing is not a fancy iPad-like gimmick. Since screen resolutions are very different from one system to another, and since there are more and more things that need to be displayed in the mixer (and we haven't seen the end of this), they needed to find a way to squeeze all that information within a concept that worked for each specific configuration. And that is not an easy task. To be clear, I don't think anyone doubts that there is room for imporvements, but saying that the basic concept is a big mistake is simply not correct. Everyone concentrates on the bits and parts he/she uses the most, and when you isolate these, then indeed the "old" way worked better. But when you keep on piling up stuff, there comes a moment when you *need* to rearrange in order to keep the overview.

Anyone who wants to continue the general mixer GUI discussion, please continue in another thread.
Do not answer or discuss this any further here, unless it is related to Nuage.
You can copy the comments/quotes to the new destination.

Fredo
Fredo
External Moderator

Postby Lydiot » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 pm

v
Lydiot

Postby Fredo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Well, I was thinking that it was a small hickup and that people would not use this as a wildcard to let the thread derail, as been asked.
Obviously I was wrong.

Fredo
Fredo
External Moderator

Postby csd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Good grief. I was not responding to derail this thread, but rather to head off the the mixer, GUI and Nuendo complaining. And I did ask a relevant question about Nuage. But since it seems you are the only owner on this forum, that answers my question, and makes the rest of this thread irrelevant.

Lydiot, if you don't own one or considering buying one then why are you posting this thread?
csd

Postby Lydiot » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:18 pm

v
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:17 am

v
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm

v
Lydiot

Postby Fredo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:24 am

Lydiot wrote:Does a Nuage system require the Dante card?
Does a Nuage system require the Nuage I/O boxes?

No, not at all. We haven't bought into the hardware simply because we are MADI all over the place.
I really wasn't jumping up and down to have to change the protocol in all rooms, since MADI and Dante are hard to combine.

Fredo
Fredo
External Moderator

Postby Domilik » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 am

Lydiot wrote:Did anybody else read the operation manual on page 48 about the HUI implementation for controlling PT?
I wonder if this limitation was on purpose and done by Steinberg/Yamaha or if something else played a part here.

When I get that right, PT-Support is really very basic, Mac-Only (?!!?), and you need to run Nuendo in Background on another system...?
It seems that my good old mackie control is more versatile in this regard.
Nuendo 6 | Win7 x64, Intel i7 2600k, Asus P8P67Pro | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | JBL LSR4328 | Tannoy Reveal 6 | Marian Marc A | Mackie Control Universal | DDX 3216 | X-Keys Joystick | BCR 2000 | Novation Nocturn | Pro Tools 10 | SSL Pro-Convert | AATranslator
Domilik

Postby Lydiot » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:45 pm

v
Lydiot

Previous

Return to General