We want the buttons back!

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.

Re: We want the buttons back!

Postby Rickard » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

I would feel more comfortable if Steinberg issued comments about their intentions with the mixer. I am hoping that they really will fix most of the problems that have been outlined and quickly but the silence creates some anxiety as is evidenced here in many threads.

Dean
Win7|i7|12gig ram|LynxAES16|Lynx2C|Lynx Aurora|N6 + Nek|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list
Rickard

Postby Fredo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Lydiot wrote:A very convenient way of discussing things, particularly as a moderator.

You seem to forget that I do not work for Steinberg and that I can't talk on their behalf.
I only express my personal point of view and I share the little information I do have.

As said, there is no simple answer, and when things are looked at through a magnifyig glass, it makes it even more difficult.
So any answers I (or Steinberg) can possibly come up with, always result in a politics.
And I have decided that I wouldn't take part in these kind of discussions anymore.
Been there, done that. Life is too short.

Fredo
Fredo
External Moderator

Postby Big K » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Fredo wrote: I don't believe for a second that the developers "just did something" without thinking about the consequences. It simply *is not* as simple as an "outsider" thinks it is. And I think that is also the reason why you don't see any participation from the Steinberg people.

Fredo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Fredo
This is just a little too short ...

Consequences are that SB looses customers and gets bad words from their very own existing users.
That is probably the least thing any "normal" company needs.

And I am a friggin' insider, too. I sit INSIDE my studio and keep being annoyed by the changes they made.
It seems, some around here do more thinking then they do at SB and that is what scares them from showing up.
And.. wasn't it once: He who pays the piper calls the tune?? Who pays ??

Anyway, Friday I start the next major project. Not on Nuendo, but on Presonus Studio One.
Just to find out how it rocks. If I get along with it, I won't be seen much around here, anymore.

Big K (after 23 years finally fed up with SB's attitudes)
Presonus Studio ONE, Harrison Mixbus!, Nuendo 5.5.6 (6), WL6 (7), RME, UAD, PoCo, Win7 64, i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, Intensity, Melodyne, Spectrasonics, VSL, Brainworx, Genelec 5.1, sevaW lla, LAWO, Sony DASH 3324S, 42 RUs of classic hardware & excellent acoustic studio design, ...SB user *1989 ✝2014
Big K

Postby Lydiot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:27 am

Fredo wrote:
Lydiot wrote:A very convenient way of discussing things, particularly as a moderator.

You seem to forget that I do not work for Steinberg and that I can't talk on their behalf.
I only express my personal point of view and I share the little information I do have.

As said, there is no simple answer, and when things are looked at through a magnifyig glass, it makes it even more difficult.
So any answers I (or Steinberg) can possibly come up with, always result in a politics.
And I have decided that I wouldn't take part in these kind of discussions anymore.
Been there, done that. Life is too short.

Fredo

First you say the mixer layout has nothing to do with Nuage coding and then you say the opposite. I point out your contradiction and it's politics?

You're right. Life is too short. Perhaps you shouldn't say anything then.
Please PM for conversation.
Lydiot

Postby TimoWildenhain » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Hello,

the Nuendo 6 mixer has been developed in parallel to Nuage. We planned for the renewal of the software mixer already for quite some time. When the Nuage development/design became more concrete, it also became obvious that an adaptation of the mixer would be required to guarantee seamless integration with Nuage. Things like window re-sizing for different screens have been part of the Nuage requirement list and found it's way as permanent feature into Nuendo. Other things such as Block Mode are features just for Nuage users. The Channel Strip, for instance, has been a planned feature within the Cubase/Nuendo software development scope right from the beginning and wasn't based on the Nuage development.

We recognize that certain aspects of the new mixer aren't smooth to operate; however, with the latest updates we have achieved some progress. Nuendo 6.0.6 is in the making currently, again fixing and improving things related to the mixer and many other program aspects. A detailled list follows.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Product Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!
TimoWildenhain

Postby Lydiot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:06 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

the Nuendo 6 mixer has been developed in parallel to Nuage. We planned for the renewal of the software mixer already for quite some time. When the Nuage development/design became more concrete, it also became obvious that an adaptation of the mixer would be required to guarantee seamless integration with Nuage. Things like window re-sizing for different screens have been part of the Nuage requirement list and found it's way as permanent feature into Nuendo. Other things such as Block Mode are features just for Nuage users. The Channel Strip, for instance, has been a planned feature within the Cubase/Nuendo software development scope right from the beginning and wasn't based on the Nuage development.

We recognize that certain aspects of the new mixer aren't smooth to operate; however, with the latest updates we have achieved some progress. Nuendo 6.0.6 is in the making currently, again fixing and improving things related to the mixer and many other program aspects. A detailled list follows.

Thanks,
Timo

And what about Control Room?
Lydiot

Postby Rickard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks for getting back to us Timo. It helps.

Dean
Win7|i7|12gig ram|LynxAES16|Lynx2C|Lynx Aurora|N6 + Nek|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list
Rickard

Postby Mark Ayres » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks,
Timo

Thanks for commenting, Timo. But I see nothing in the list about giving us back the full transparent view of the virtual mixer, including plugin enablers, and (optionally?) taking away the hover buttons which drive me mad. These changes have wrecked a workflow, hence I am still with N5.

The whole point of the on-screen mixer was to give an easy overview of the mix - to mimic a classic console. This was also necessary when using the system with control surfaces that only allow parameter access to one channel at a time. All of this info has now been hidden and you have to go searching for it. It seems madness. Sorry.
Configuration Details
• Apple Mac Mac Pro 3.2GHz 8-Core / 18Gb RAM
• Mac OSX 10.9.2

• Apple Mac MacBook Pro 2012 27GHz Intel Core i7 / 16Gb RAM
• Mac OSX 10.9.2
Mark Ayres

Postby Lydiot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Lydiot wrote:

Thanks,
Timo

And what about Control Room?

I don't know why I bother. I should know by now that anything you guys contribute with will be stuff only vaguely related to what we ask you about, and not a direct response. Only think I know is that I'm increasingly irritated by Steinberg's avoidance of certain topics Timo.
Lydiot

Postby Plasmatron-007 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm

+1 , then, +1, then+1
Plasmatron-007

Postby Antonio Escobar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

+3000
Antonio Escobar
http://www.antipop.es

---
Nuendo 6.0.x / Cubase 7.5.x
Mac Pro 3,1 Octo 2.8 Mhz, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4
RME HDSPe, UAD2 Quad, 6.5.2, Novation Nocturne (as MIDI device), Unitor 8 (x2), ESI Pro MIDI, Blackmagic Intensity Pro
MacBook Air 4,2 4GB RAM, OS X 10.9.2
Antonio Escobar

Postby etl17 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:13 pm

+ 1

With all due respect to Timo and the rest of the Steinberg folks, you guys seem to be confusing professional ergonomics with mainstream user experience best practices. Nuendo is "supposed" to be a professional tool and workflow optimization should have been a higher priority of the new mixer design.

Overall, as a home amateur I can live with it, but as a professional it definitely slows me down.
Nuendo 6 / Cubase 7.5 / Wavelab 8 / Windows 7 x64 / Custom build PC 990X, 24GB RAM / RME HDSPe / UAD 2 Quad / PoCo MkII
etl17

Postby Better Man » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:06 pm

etl17 wrote:With all due respect to Timo and the rest of the Steinberg folks, you guys seem to be confusing professional ergonomics with mainstream user experience best practices. Nuendo is "supposed" to be a professional tool and workflow optimization should have been a higher priority of the new mixer design.

I wholeheartedly agree to this.
The Better Man Project
12 Chapters of Positive Thinking

The Tower Studio Suite
Win7/Win8 x64 | Cubase 6.5 - Nuendo 5.5 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox ++ | C7/N6 on test only
UA 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 | Eleven Rack x2 ++
Better Man

Previous

Return to General