Nuendo 6.5?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.

Re: Nuendo 6.5?

Postby Antonio Escobar » Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm

For me everything is reliability. What's the point of having a bunch of new features if the system crashes every day? The sad thing is that modern DAWs are playing the feature race game and nobody is happy. To be honest, I'm
very unhappy.

These days I've been working in the biggest project in my whole career, with big music stars and I've suffering al lot of issues: crashes in Cubase exporting tracks, problems exporting AAF, problems with EuCon, problems with the video out, CPU spikes for no reason, ASIO guard issues, plugin crashes, and so on. The same computer runs any other software with no problems.
As Nuendo OWNER from v2, I demand a trustable software in Mac. I don't care if it works great in PC, or if it works in certain systems.
Antonio Escobar
http://www.antipop.es

---
Nuendo 6.0.x / Cubase 7.5.x
Mac Pro 3,1 Octo 2.8 Mhz, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4
RME HDSPe, UAD2 Quad, 6.5.2, Novation Nocturne (as MIDI device), Unitor 8 (x2), ESI Pro MIDI, Blackmagic Intensity Pro
MacBook Air 4,2 4GB RAM, OS X 10.9.2
Antonio Escobar

Postby Lydiot » Sat May 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Getalife2 wrote:Years ago, I used to be on these forums a lot. Some things change.

I just re-registered today after browsing through info on upcoming 6.5. Some things don't change. Like people who are literally never happy about their tools. It's amazing to disappear for 5 years and pop back in to read the exact same stuff. Just change the version numbers and the specific features being complained about and it's like stepping into a time machine!

And here's what strikes me most. The current Nuendo's capabilities would have been considered divine magic from the future only a few years ago. Doubt me? OK, break out your copy of N2 and go for it! I think it would be an eye opener.

So here's what I see. A group of professional developers who have created and consistently improved this incredible software that has made my work better and made me money in the process. But since it's not PERFECT and can't do EVERYTHING each and every end user wishes it would, it's pile-on-Steinberg day, every day. Meanwhile, I'm willing to bet that some of the same folks rail on PT over at Avid forums and on Logic over at Apple (at least until Apple deletes the post).

It seems like no matter what the developers at SB do, it's just never enough. I would imagine the guys coding their butts off on Nuendo every day are every bit as dedicated to their craft as any of us. What if your clients made a habit letting you know that you sucked and they just put up with you because they had to? Fun time?

And while I'm reading about all the crashes, I find myself wondering how I have managed to build a VEP based system with multiple computers that does not crash, while working with hundreds of tracks and many, many VSTi.

Anyway, I mean no offense to any specific person or people. Just a few observations from an old/new guy. I will happily upgrade to 6.5/NEK. When I consider how much I have invested in my total system, the upgrade fee is silly to complain about. Heck, maybe I'll hold a lottery and pay for the winners upgrade myself, just to get some peace in here! ;-)

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. And HI everybody!

In the country that produces the highest-grossing features on the planet a different DAW is the standard. Tell any engineer using that DAW that Nuendo lacks a proper group ("link") track feature and VCAs and has problems with .aaf files and he'll shake his head in disbelief.

Some things just are so basic they need to be there and work. Some other things are just as you describe delicious, but really pale in comparison to what is desired in some types of work. A lot of the complaints are about some things that are that basic never changing (or, changing them for the worse when nobody asked for it).

But I do appreciate you creating an account only to complain about complaints. If it had been only complaining it'd have been unacceptable no doubt.
Please PM for conversation.
Lydiot

Postby ju » Sat May 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Big +1 about features war !
But we also have to keep in mind that a daw is not any other software.
In comparison PT11 is in a video engine black hole crap, and PT10 still has a huge amount of bugs...
I never heard of logic on fcp or any pro high end software with no bug.

But I would disagree on the : "I don't care about computer configurations, I just want it to work" thing.
When it was all analog you had to be able to manage patches, wiring, an all kind of things for a complex setup.
I don't see how the digital (computer) world is any different.
For me it's every bit the same, meaning I consider that working on the computer stability specifically for making a daw with nuendo is a normal task to do. And it has to be done by the very people that are gonna work with the daw.
But I also understand your point especially about video non responsive we talked about...

One more reason to make a distinction between unhappiness with some SB choices (in a way take it or leave it) and reals problems that need to be solved.

But if we are waiting for a daw as complete as nuendo that would simply buy-install-work perfectly on any system, I fear it is simply not doable...
ju

Postby Antonio Escobar » Sat May 24, 2014 5:08 pm

I can accept what you say, but SB does not provide a bullet-proof Mac system specification and the PC version is a 4000 € HP workstation.
Antonio Escobar

---
RME HDSPe, UAD2 Quad, 6.5.2, Novation Nocturne (as MIDI device), Unitor 8 (x2), ESI Pro MIDI, Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Antonio Escobar

Postby Chewy Papadopoulos » Sat May 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Antonio…

I'm going just a little OT… but responding to your last comment. In MY experience, your Mac ought to be absolutely capable of running just fine, outside of those extraordinarily annoying EuCon crashes you identified so long ago, and we've all been experiencing.

You and I have an almost identical computer; mine's a little faster (3.2gHz). But I can't remember the last time mine crashed, and I use it with fairly heavy track counts (not as quite big as yours, template-wise, but they do get quite large) and serious plugin loads.

Looking at your specs, the first thing that jumps out is that you have only 8G of RAM-- I often ran out of memory ( identified by random crashes) under those conditions. First thing I'd do is upgrade to 16, at least, for the work you describe.

Then… as you know, one funky plugin can sour the whole system. I've sidestepped that one by going almost entirely Steinberg, UAD, NI and iZotope, but of course, that's just me.

I'm just saying this because, despite the standard operational annoyances (EuCon, AAF) which are apparently being addressed, I'm having no systemic issues, and I'm hoping these details might be helpful in your own system assessment.

Chewy
N6.5x, C4, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI and Satellite), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, Mac(s) 10.9.x, 10.8x, 16G
Chewy Papadopoulos

Postby ju » Sat May 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah I know... On that too I agree with you. More transparency or at least recommendations would be great. Especially about the GUI that is probably demanding in terms of gpgpu power I think. Or will be in the near future.
But things are changing also.
Timo explained that neons could very well benefit from a 12core(24threads) 2013 macpro.

In a way, I'm not that pleased but absolutely not chocked either to spend $10000 for a solid macpro in order to run nuendo smoothly. It's pure native.
When compared to a cheaper computer with hdx, i think putting a lot of power in the computer is a better choice. But again, that's me...
And I'm more talking about stability (Xeon instructions, ecc ram, solid north and south bridges) than pure power which is on those Macpros outrageously huge ;-)

I bet they don't provide comp specs because it mostly depends on what you do with your daw.

I do get problems mixing 300 tracks in 7.1 with fullHD video and tons of plugins and automation (rate and not wise anyway) but I don't care about 512 samples buffer which is good for me.
Recording isn't the same story, I course.

Isn't there somewhere on the SB website some recos depending on what you do ? I thought I saw a PDF about thy once, but I might be dreaming...
ju

Postby likelystory » Sat May 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Brandy wrote:For example using the keys "s" and "m" in the mixing console to toggle solo or mute beetween multiple channels.. I use and need it all the time to compare sound... having 6 tracks of mics - 3 are solo, 3 are mute... In N5.5 and older versions I can just use the mixer and hit s or m to switch between the solo or mute states.. Now this is only working in the project window, in the mixer "s" or "m" only affects the first of the selected channels.. This bugs me on a daily base.. and this is NOT fixed in Cubase 7.5...

Assign a key command to "quick link" (or press the Q-Link at top of the mixer console) and then your actions will be linked across multiple channels without having to create a linked group.
likelystory

Postby Brandy » Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 pm

likelystory wrote:
Brandy wrote:For example using the keys "s" and "m" in the mixing console to toggle solo or mute beetween multiple channels.. I use and need it all the time to compare sound... having 6 tracks of mics - 3 are solo, 3 are mute... In N5.5 and older versions I can just use the mixer and hit s or m to switch between the solo or mute states.. Now this is only working in the project window, in the mixer "s" or "m" only affects the first of the selected channels.. This bugs me on a daily base.. and this is NOT fixed in Cubase 7.5...

Assign a key command to "quick link" (or press the Q-Link at top of the mixer console) and then your actions will be linked across multiple channels without having to create a linked group.

Well, that is not exactly what I mean - thanks though. In fact I am using (and love!!) the quicklink feature A LOT recently - but as it says - it LINKS the tracks..

What I mean is:

Having 3 tracks muted with instrument A (typical scenario with a guitar cab with mulitple mics)
Having 3 tracks soloed with instrument B (maybe the same setup but with slightly different settings/mic positions etc)

The rest of the mix is muted because of solo state of instr B.

Select all 6 tracks

Hit "s" and the state of A and B changes.... that way you can A/B compare tracks.. It is still possible in the project window. Fortunately.
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C6/C7.5 - N5.5/N6 - WL7 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001
Brandy

Postby likelystory » Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 pm

I see what you're saying although that wouldn't work for those that use "enable solo on selected track" so it's exploiting a specific setup for a particular use case.

Track Versions in 6.5 should allow you to do your A/B between multi-take multi-track variations without your project window solo/mute workaround.
likelystory

Postby Antonio Escobar » Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Chewy Papadopoulos wrote:Antonio…

I'm going just a little OT… but responding to your last comment. In MY experience, your Mac ought to be absolutely capable of running just fine, outside of those extraordinarily annoying EuCon crashes you identified so long ago, and we've all been experiencing.

You and I have an almost identical computer; mine's a little faster (3.2gHz). But I can't remember the last time mine crashed, and I use it with fairly heavy track counts (not as quite big as yours, template-wise, but they do get quite large) and serious plugin loads.

Looking at your specs, the first thing that jumps out is that you have only 8G of RAM-- I often ran out of memory ( identified by random crashes) under those conditions. First thing I'd do is upgrade to 16, at least, for the work you describe.

Then… as you know, one funky plugin can sour the whole system. I've sidestepped that one by going almost entirely Steinberg, UAD, NI and iZotope, but of course, that's just me.

I'm just saying this because, despite the standard operational annoyances (EuCon, AAF) which are apparently being addressed, I'm having no systemic issues, and I'm hoping these details might be helpful in your own system assessment.

Chewy

Thanks Chewy for the answer. Should I upgrade my system to 16 GB of RAM and limit my plugins to certain brands or should I save the money for a new Mac Pro?

Thanks!
Antonio Escobar

---
Antonio Escobar

Postby Getalife2 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Lydiot wrote:In the country that produces the highest-grossing features on the planet a different DAW is the standard. Tell any engineer using that DAW that Nuendo lacks a proper group ("link") track feature and VCAs and has problems with .aaf files and he'll shake his head in disbelief.

Some things just are so basic they need to be there and work. Some other things are just as you describe delicious, but really pale in comparison to what is desired in some types of work. A lot of the complaints are about some things that are that basic never changing (or, changing them for the worse when nobody asked for it).

But I do appreciate you creating an account only to complain about complaints. If it had been only complaining it'd have been unacceptable no doubt.

Thanks for clearing up where you're coming from. Got it. I hope things get better for you.

I should check back in a year or two and see if it becomes a more productive atmosphere among the users here. However, I will pose a question. Food for thought.

How effective is your current strategy of browbeating and condescension towards the makers of your primary software? Are you getting the results you want? Are you enjoying the process?

Just wondered about that.
Getalife2

Postby fenderchris » Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 pm

We don't yet know what bugs have been fixed in n6.5.

Could somebody from Steinberg be kind enough to let us know what known bugs have been fixed in n6.5 and what known bugs have not been fixed?
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Windows-7 64-bit, Nuendo-5.5.6 64-bit, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for Android
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.
fenderchris

Postby iBM » Sat May 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Getalife2 wrote:
Lydiot wrote:In the country that produces the highest-grossing features on the planet a different DAW is the standard. Tell any engineer using that DAW that Nuendo lacks a proper group ("link") track feature and VCAs and has problems with .aaf files and he'll shake his head in disbelief.

Thanks for clearing up where you're coming from. Got it. I hope things get better for you.

I should check back in a year or two and see if it becomes a more productive atmosphere among the users here. However, I will pose a question. Food for thought.

How effective is your current strategy of browbeating and condescension towards the makers of your primary software? Are you getting the results you want? Are you enjoying the process?

Just wondered about that.

It has actually been quite calm and friendly in here, until you reappeared. Go figure :roll:
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
C7.5/N6 is installed on several test systems.
Dynaudio BM15A | Universal Audio 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 |
TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++
iBM

Postby Chewy Papadopoulos » Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Antonio Escobar wrote:Thanks Chewy for the answer. Should I upgrade my system to 16 GB of RAM and limit my plugins to certain brands or should I save the money for a new Mac Pro?

Antonio… I really don't know. In my case, I'm holding off on the new Mac Pro (and Mavericks) for the indefinite future-- this old 2008 tower that I got for $1k is doing me just fine, and I don't look forward to the expense of investing in new equipment to make my UAD stuff work (meaning either a Thunderbolt->PCIe chassis or an Apollo).

Were I in your situation I'd definitely go for the RAM, and completely troubleshoot my plugins to ensure one of them isn't at the root of crashing. Also… if there's ANY possibility of your having a bad RAM module-- look into that. Bad RAM can be really hard to track, and reveals itself in all sorts of inconvenient ways. Inexplicable crashes being one of them.

Like you, I get the "video service unavailable" thing every once in a while, and that infernal EuCon crash on exit. But other than that, my Nuendo has been really consistent. And those aren't problems that are going to be solved by a new system.

I haven't seen anything thus far to make, for me, a switch to one of the new Mac Pros very attractive at all.

That's my perspective!

Chewy
N6.5x, C4, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI and Satellite), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, Mac(s) 10.9.x, 10.8x, 16G
Chewy Papadopoulos

Postby Antonio Escobar » Sat May 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks Chewy. I think I'm going to try that route. BTW, I've fixed the crash on exit removing every EuCon device from the active list.
Antonio Escobar

---
Antonio Escobar

Postby Getalife2 » Sun May 25, 2014 3:36 am

iBM wrote:It has actually been quite calm and friendly in here, until you reappeared. Go figure :roll:

I am very glad to hear that. I should have read more before diving into the fray.

I'll chill out.
Getalife2

Postby Rotund » Sun May 25, 2014 10:59 pm

fenderchris wrote:We don't yet know what bugs have been fixed in n6.5.

Could somebody from Steinberg be kind enough to let us know what known bugs have been fixed in n6.5 and what known bugs have not been fixed?

+1
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Studio One, Raydat, UAD X 2, UM-3EX, Glyph eSata Audio Drive, 6TB Storage, U-He ACE, Arturia Moog Modular & Jupiter8v, Korg Legacy (MS-20, MonoPoly, Wavestation), Portico 5043/5033.

Outboard:
AKG 414-B XLII (Matched Pair), AKG D 112, Neumann TLM-193, GrooveTubes GT-66, Shure SM-81 (Pair), Sennheiser e604 (3pack), SM-57 (Many), Beta SM-57, AT-3035, Many More, Panasonic DA-7, Event 20/20p, Alesis Monitor One, Philips MMS321 Multimedia Speakers, TLAudio, HHB, JoeMeek, dbx, Moog Model D, Nordlead 2, Korg MS2000, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo, Acoustic Drum Kit, Fender Stratocaster (USA), Ibanez EXSeries Bass, Laney VC-30.
Rotund

Postby ju » Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 am

fenderchris wrote:We don't yet know what bugs have been fixed in n6.5.

+1
Bug corrections, that´s indeed a very important point., if not THE point, especially now that the foundation for the new mixer/Nuage are there.
As for having a list of eradicated bugs right now, I sense we're gonna have to wait for the official PDF when the update hit us.
Which in the end doesn't change a lot, right ?
Just a bit of supens in the meantime... ;-)
(And yet if the info are already available...)
ju

Postby Antonio Escobar » Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 am

Hello,

an updated VersionHistory document including the fix list will be published as soon as
Nuendo 6.5 will be available.

Thanks,
Timo
Antonio Escobar

---
Antonio Escobar

Postby Lydiot » Mon May 26, 2014 4:04 pm

Antonio Escobar wrote:Hello,

an updated VersionHistory document including the fix list will be published as soon as
Nuendo 6.5 will be available.

Thanks,
Timo

Timo or Antonio???
Please PM for conversation.
Lydiot

Postby Antonio Escobar » Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

LOL, Timo is publishing using my account xD
Antonio Escobar

---
Antonio Escobar

Postby iBM » Mon May 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Nuendo 6.5 expected in Q3.............
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
C7.5/N6 is installed on several test systems.
Dynaudio BM15A | Universal Audio 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 |
TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++
iBM

Postby fenderchris » Mon May 26, 2014 8:11 pm

It's disappointing that Steinberg have failed to meet the Q2 deadline previously announced, but looking on the bright side it must surely mean that all the bugs will be fixed when it is eventually released!
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Windows-7 64-bit, Nuendo-5.5.6 64-bit, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for Android
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.
fenderchris

Postby Heiner Einbier » Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 pm

fenderchris wrote:It's disappointing that Steinberg have failed to meet the Q2 deadline previously announced

Hmm. And I thought that for once I'd qualify for a grace period update... :evil:
HP Z800 Xeon 8-core 16GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI
MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Nuendo 6
Cubase 7.5
Heiner Einbier

Postby Antonio Escobar » Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Honestly, I don't care about the date, I care about bug fixes
Antonio Escobar

---
Antonio Escobar

PreviousNext

Return to General