Spot Mode a la Pro Tools?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.

Spot Mode a la Pro Tools?

Postby Headlands » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Hey all, many of you know that I've been a long time Nuendo user. I know that you can select audio clips and change the start time manually in the info line, but is there an actual "spot" mode such as in PT? It's faster in specific cases to do it this way, is why I'm asking. EDIT: I don't mean moving the clip to its original time-stamped location, but to a brand new, specifically typed in location. Was just using Pro Tools and really liked how intuitive and fast this is in Spot mode.

Yes, I looked in the manual but didn't see anything, though it's very possible I overlooked it.
Last edited by Headlands on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Re: Spot Mode a la Pro Tools?

Postby Dog and Pony » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 pm

It has been a while since I used PT's but if I'm remembering Spot Mode correctly, in Nuendo I replaced it with edit mode and "snap point to cursor". I work in edit mode and have "snap point to cursor" as a key command. This way I can quickly put the snap point where I want it on an audio file, get the proper spot in the video lined up and quickly place the sound against the cursor position. Hope that helps, John.
4 rooms with N5/N6, Nuage, Tango II, Euphonix MC Pro, Euphonix Artist, MacOSX 10.7.5 and many more toys.
Dog and Pony

Postby Headlands » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply, John.

Spot mode actually has a pop-up when you touch a region, where you can type in a location (be it bars and beats or timecode), and the region will be placed there. One click with the mouse, then enter in the place you want it, with no more clicks -- it's super fast when you have to do a lot of it. I'm hoping Nuendo has something like this, aside from going to the info line...hard to believe I've been using it for so long and don't know, but there ya go. :-)
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby rbesser » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:46 am

If you use BWF you can spot the audios directly clicking on the audio file with the right mouse button and " move to origin" and it goes to where it was originally recorded . You can also spot several audio files at the same time .Just select them and use "move to origin" again.

Hope it helps.

Roberto
rbesser

Postby Headlands » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:07 am

rbesser wrote:If you use BWF you can spot the audios directly clicking on the audio file with the right mouse button and " move to origin" and it goes to where it was originally recorded . You can also spot several audio files at the same time .Just select them and use "move to origin" again.

Hope it helps.

Roberto

Thanks Roberto. I knew about that, but I'm actually looking for a way to quickly move regions to specifically typed-in new locations that aren't their original timestamp, aside from going to the info line each time.
Headlands

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:13 am

Not what you're specifically looking for, Headlands, but you could place the cursor with the 'Input Position" command, then hit 'Move to Cursor'
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby Headlands » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 am

SteveInChicago wrote:Not what you're specifically looking for, Headlands, but you could place the cursor with the 'Input Position" command, then hit 'Move to Cursor'

Darn. Would be cool if they borrowed that feature from PT, as it's very very useful in post, for me anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Headlands

Postby shauli » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:11 pm

try to select the region, and on the info bar type in your time code location in the "Start" box. you save on clicking a tool (spot mode) and then closing a box.
http://www.sweatshopstudios.com

PC 1 W7/64 | N6.5 (32-64) | WaveLab 8.5 | 2x Xeon e5620 2.4 GHz, 24 GB RAM | Win 7 64 | Nviedia quadro 440 | Intensity Pro | 2x Lynx Aurora 16 | 3x AES 16 | Euphonix Sys 5MC | Studer A800

PC 2 W7/64 | Pro Tools 10HD | Win 7 64 | 2x Xeon e5410 2.33GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD4650 | 2x Lynx LT-HD
shauli

Postby Headlands » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:40 pm

shauli wrote:try to select the region, and on the info bar type in your time code location in the "Start" box. you save on clicking a tool (spot mode) and then closing a box.

Yes, I know about that method. It's what I've done in the past, but when I used Spot mode, somehow it felt faster to me for times when I'm doing lots of moving around of cues.
Headlands

Postby Dog and Pony » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:17 pm

My other trick for this is to put my cursor at the location I want, double click the file in the pool and move the snap point to where I want the sound to start. Then I just drop the file into the session with the grid set to snap to cursor, can't see that taking any longer than typing in a timecode location in PT's. john.
4 rooms with N5/N6, Nuage, Tango II, Euphonix MC Pro, Euphonix Artist, MacOSX 10.7.5 and many more toys.
Dog and Pony

Postby ErikG » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Headlands wrote:Yes, I know about that method. It's what I've done in the past, but when I used Spot mode, somehow it felt faster to me for times when I'm doing lots of moving around of cues.

The Nuendo way is faster than PT in so many ways.
Relative positioning. You can choose to position either the start, end or sync point at a specified time position. Also you can move multiple clips to its original position using a single KC. In PT you have to move each clip individually.
Europa Sound
6xNuendo, 7xPT, scandinavias largest Nuendo owner?
Nuendo 5 on OSX 10.6.4
ErikG

Postby Headlands » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 pm

ErikG wrote:
Headlands wrote:Yes, I know about that method. It's what I've done in the past, but when I used Spot mode, somehow it felt faster to me for times when I'm doing lots of moving around of cues.

The Nuendo way is faster than PT in so many ways.
Relative positioning. You can choose to position either the start, end or sync point at a specified time position. Also you can move multiple clips to its original position using a single KC. In PT you have to move each clip individually.

You're right! I never delved too deep into this. Thanks for the clarifications.
Headlands

Postby stingray » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 am

ErikG wrote:
Headlands wrote:Relative positioning. You can choose to position either the start, end or sync point at a specified time position.

Do you mean that you can adjust these on the info line? or are you referring to some other technique?
stingray

Postby ErikG » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 am

Yes the info line, it's much more powerful than the spot tool in PT.
Europa Sound
6xNuendo, 7xPT, scandinavias largest Nuendo owner?
Nuendo 5 on OSX 10.6.4
ErikG

Return to General