New iPad - Now what?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: New iPad - Now what?

Postby thinkingcap » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 am

Mr M wrote:can someone explain how this is not a tragically flawed device without a USB port?

It is a tragically flawed device...

Mr M wrote:How would I do the following
I want to load some songs onto the hard drive

I flying next week and want to rip my DVDs to watch

I have a Streamworks Cubase tutorial that I want toput on the drive

how are a these things done? Is it seriously a kludgey work around using custom adaptors ? I could really be missing something basic so please straighten me out

ITunes or or apps like "Phone drive"
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby surfer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am

Get to know iTunes.
I assume you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your PC? With the iPad connected one transfers files (movies, photos, videos, mp3s, PDFs etc) back and forth through the iTunes interface. Either by "synching" or drag and drop.

On the PC iTunes click on the device. Across the top are the tabs for various things.
In the left hand column click on the device name and you can see folders for movies. Just drag an drop.

A very useful app is called GoodReader. It can read many types of files, including zip files! download from the web, and play back most media.

With iTunes PC select the app tab across the top, scroll down until you see app sharing and there you can also transfer files in and out of the iPad

I was confused and frustrated as hell about simple file handling also until I got used to the iTunes centered approach.

If you right click on the device name you can easily back up the iPad to your PC.

The DCC (Digital Camera Connection) kit is handy for grabbing photos off of your camera and gives you a USB that some audio interfaces can use - only externally powered ones, the iPad isn't designed to power USB devices.
surfer

Postby surfer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am

I use http://www.mediacoderhq.com/index.htm to convert movie files. There is an iPad specific version but the free one works fine. You need to convert whatever you ripped to h.264 video, AAC audio, in an mp4 container. Then just drag and dropped it to the movie folder below the iPad device name in the left column of iTunes on your PC. it will show up in the videos app.

Mediacoder can translate anything to anything but can be a challenge to learn. That's why they sell a stripped down version pre-configured to make iPad compatible movies. Free is better for me.
surfer

Postby Mr M » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks all for some great ideas. I never had iTunes since an initial install years ago when it first came out. Admittedly I never gave it a real chance but back then I got tired of it always popping up while online. Surfer,so when I drag and drop am I really putting files on the hard drive or just some cloud server? Thanks again
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M

Postby surfer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Unless you specifically enabled cloud storage, $$$, it is going on your device's ssd. Note: drag and drop is the exception not the rule. In general you'll sync folders. Best understood if you install iTunes, attach the iPad, start reading the help files and use google to search for questions. Like I said it all seemed ridiculous to me until I gave up and did it the iCult way.

I hadn't used iTunes for years before I needed it for the tablet either. It's better than it was but still weird to my PC mindset.
surfer

Postby Mr M » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm

surfer wrote:Unless you specifically enabled cloud storage, $$$, it is going on your device's ssd. Note: drag and drop is the exception not the rule. In general you'll sync folders. Best understood if you install iTunes, attach the iPad, start reading the help files and use google to search for questions. Like I said it all seemed ridiculous to me until I gave up and did it the iCult way.

I hadn't used iTunes for years before I needed it for the tablet either. It's better than it was but still weird to my PC mindset.

This is good to get feedback from you on this. I will try this later today. I was hesitant to go to Apple sites for info as I didn't want the whole apple cultist mindset.Thanks .

I've also installed Sugar Sync for cloud storage for work. So far apps I use daily are Steinberg Aoo, Omnisohere app and Tunein Radio. Much more to learn
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M

Postby surfer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I love tunein radio! Bought the paid pro version so I can record. Favorite stations are Radio Paradise and KCRW out of Santa Monica. (KCRW Has a dedicated free app that lets you hear past shows)

Cheapskate me even sprang for the $10/mo for the Spotify service. It also works on the Onkyo receiver we got last year. Between the two my music purchases have dropped to almost nil.
surfer

Postby NorthWood MediaWorks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 am

Make Music! 8-)
NorthWood MediaWorks

Postby twilightsong » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:53 am

"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember
twilightsong

Postby HornForHire » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:07 am

^ :lol:
HornForHire

Postby surfer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 pm

This is eating hours of my day:
http://retronyms.com/

The company uses the so called freemium business model: the basic kit is free pay extra for better mixers, synths and effects.
Here's a soundcloud page devoted to it.
http://soundcloud.com/retronyms/favorites

And a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a6vbINf ... ata_player

The free bit is more than enough for me.

Been reading about the iPad's Audio Copy functionality. Since iOS doesn't expose the underlying file system to the user making music with more than one application can be a real PITA of transferring files to and from iTunes. But Audio Copy allows one to copy wav and such not through the clip board as if they were text or images.

Very cool.
Use apps like Ampkit or amplitude to record guitars. Recorders for vocals glue the beats and live together in the various mini-DAWs available.

All the pieces are there and cheap and fun.
surfer

Postby foolomon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm

By the way, to transfer files use DropBox. I do and it's easy.

"Just call me Larry."

Dell Lattitude E6430 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Tascam US-144 / M-Audio 2496 interfaces

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 6.5; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, FabFilter, Native Instruments, Sound Toys, and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!
foolomon

Postby foolomon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm

surfer wrote:This is eating hours of my day:
http://retronyms.com/

The company uses the so called freemium business model: the basic kit is free pay extra for better mixers, synths and effects.

Oh my. There goes the remainder of my free time. :shock:

"Just call me Larry."

Software: Cubase 6.5; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, FabFilter, Native Instruments, Sound Toys, and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!
foolomon

Postby curteye » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:13 am

C'mon Steiny!!!
Just add a lil MIDI.

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Home Studio 87 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 am

yes a "litle" cubase (audio/midi) on iPad !
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 / Intel Corei7 2600k / 16384 Mo DDR3 / Seven x64 / UAD2 Quad & 2x UAD2 Duo / RME HDSP Multiface PCIe / CMC Controllers / Faderport / iPad 3 / Cubase 7.5 x64...
Home Studio 87

Postby foolomon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:17 pm

curteye wrote:C'mon Steiny!!!
Just add a lil MIDI.

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria
{'-'}

:shock:

I would actually buy an iPad just for this...

...but I have a mobile Cubase setup already. And I rarely do on location recording so this wouldn't be money well spent.

"Just call me Larry."

Stop by and visit!
foolomon

Postby beatpete » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm

This is an amazing app for live players or just about anyone. You can download just about any song you can think of and have it come up with the lyrics, chords, change key, add tabs, very cool...
http://onsongapp.com/
Comp1: Windows 7 64bit, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel I7 970, 12 gig Patriot DDR3 ram, RME Digiface, Steinberg MR816x, Geoforce 66000 PCIe, , Cubase 8 64bit
Comp 2:Windows 7 64bit,Celeron G540,16 gb ram, VEPro.
beatpete

Postby surfer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:34 pm

A similar app I like is TabToolKit. It's guitar oriented, cheaper, and with its built-in web browser you can search for free tabs in a couple of formats and load them in. It shows standard music notation along with the tab and neck and allows play back at a variety of speeds. Even shows the bass, drum and keyboard tabs and instrument animations.
http://agilepartners.com/apps/tabtoolkit/

(hmm... Can't attach an image from Safari on an iPad... Here's a screen shot)

http://flic.kr/p/cSnotC
surfer

Postby surfer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Interview with Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) on making music with mobile apps

mp3 - http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/29/ ... erview.mp3

Print excerpt - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/phil-simo ... 83592.html
surfer

Postby surfer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 pm

New toys

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/
This wonderful device plugs into to the 30 pin dock connector. Infinitely superior to the plug into the headphone jack crap devices. It allows one to connect a guitar, stereo input, microphone headphone/stereo out. Sturdy, marvelous, diligent googling will find it for about $100. Download the free GuitarTone app to control the GuitarJack and get a tuner and several amp and effect simulators thrown in that are available free when the app detects that a GuitarJack is connected.

Garage Band cheap, can't imagine an iPad musician that doesn't already have it. The guitar jack works perfectly with GarageBand. The guitar amps and effects built in aren't bad.

http://agilepartners.com/
I have two apps from this company: Ampkit and TabToolKit.

Ampkit provides some very good amp and effect simulators. Free to start but in app purchases could add up. I'm waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales to load up. Has recording built in. Allows playback of music while you play along. Speaking of which
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/
Karaoke for guitar! 100s 1000s? Of songs with the guitar parts removed. Free! Loads into Ampkit. I use an app called GoodReader to download music, video, PDFs, zip and almost everything else Apple tries to force me to buy from iTunes. Extremely useful for every iPad user.

Also from the makers of Ampkit is TabToolKit to learn the song before you try to play along. Loads guitar tablature in many different formats. If the Guitar Pro or Tab Pro formats are used it will play back the song as it displays the music notation, the tab, the guitar neck, and even displays drum, bass and keyboards. Dial in the sound in Ampkit and learn the tune in TabToolKit.

Rock out with the headphones and not bother Wendy or the dogs or the neighbors. Even use the iPad as an effects box when I go over to a buddies studio. Plug into the mixing board or an amp.
surfer

Previous

Return to Steinberg Lounge