Cubase could be sold and delivered on Steam Platform.

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Cubase could be sold and delivered on Steam Platform.

Postby ShikiSuen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 am

Well, eLc is still of necessary...
But using Steam could make delivery easier.
If someone has an eLc, just buy and download the entire product online.

And, Steam could allow people to cooperate while making project together... even using remote VST-instruments.

BTW, Cubase could be VAC-Protected... If someone use the pirated version, his Steam account will be VAC-Banned.
ShikiSuen

Re: Cubase could be sold and delivered on Steam Platform.

Postby Strophoid » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm

PLEASE NO.
and not just because Steam only sells games.
Also because steam runs like a steaming pile of excrement on lots of systems like my own, it's an annoying, sluggish and buggy application.

And Cubase really doesn't belong on Steam, what gave you that idea?
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Paul Bryce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 am

This is a joke. Right?
:roll:
Near the Rockies, Alberta
Paul Bryce

Postby Bassbase » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:32 am

NOW WAY..........
I7 3.2ghz / Asus P6t deluxe / Asus GTX260 / Rme Hdsp 9632/ Novation 49 sl compact / KRK Rokit 5 / Native Instruments Komplete 7 / Fabfilter Pro q, ....

Just to make sure you know the basics, come here.
Forum Knowledgebase from Users for Users
And if you like this idea or you have more stuff you think a beginner should know about, feel free to PM me so i can take it to the top. Together we know nearly everything...
Forum Knowledgebase von Usern für User Say hello after change
Bassbase

Postby curteye » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 am

ShikiSuen wrote:And, Steam could allow people to cooperate while making project together.

Aloha S,

Isn't that what VST Connect SE is for?
Seems with C7 we already have what you have suggested.

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Elektrobolt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 am

ShikiSuen wrote:Well, eLc is still of necessary...

Right...

ShikiSuen wrote:But using Steam could make delivery easier.

By that, you mean double the number of steps?

1. Download steam.
2. Install steam.
3. Create a steam account.
4. Purchase Cubase.
5. Download Cubase.
6. Install Cubase.

ShikiSuen wrote:If someone has an eLc, just buy and download the entire product online.

How is this different from now?

ShikiSuen wrote:And, Steam could allow people to cooperate while making project together... even using remote VST-instruments.

VST Connect SE?

ShikiSuen wrote:BTW, Cubase could be VAC-Protected... If someone use the pirated version, his Steam account will be VAC-Banned.

Women don't steal?

---

Get real. Why would I want another application downloader crapware on my machine? I bet they have commercials, suggestions and offers too.... My PC's are professional workstations, not iGadgets, mate.
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:31 pm

steam ????? holy *knuf* crap , you mean ive been playing asteroids and pak man on here since 1989 .....i wondered what the hell ive been doing ........ah thats right cubase is just a game isn't it .

BUG i can't find my joy stick

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:Seriously though, I don't want my DAW to 'have' to be dependent in any way on the internet. My only internet source is on my smart phone, which I don't stream, upload or down load from...appart from very small files associated with email. I want my machine to be a stand-alone system.

But... for those who want stream/download, there should be that option.

the problem with c7 is tho steve for vst connect you need an internet connection ,for the hub you need an internet connection ,im like you i don't want my daw connected to the internet for the risk of viruses even tho it would only ever connect too steinberg and uad ,novation,motu im stil really dubious about it , i use the laptop to download what ever i need then install it on my daw

Postby Duart Jansen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Elektrobolt wrote:
ShikiSuen wrote:And, Steam could allow people to cooperate while making project together... even using remote VST-instruments.

VST Connect SE?

VST Connect SE promises you can cooperate on a project together, but what it really does is just give you the opportunity to record or listen to someone else around the globe, if you call that working together, you sure got a strange way of working...
Movin' and Groovin'
Duart Jansen

Postby foolomon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 am

Duart Jansen wrote:
Elektrobolt wrote:

VST Connect SE?

VST Connect SE promises you can cooperate on a project together, but what it really does is just give you the opportunity to record or listen to someone else around the globe, if you call that working together, you sure got a strange way of working...

"Ebony and Ivory" (Paul McCartney feat. Stevie Wonder) was recorded this way. ;)

"Just call me Larry."

Dell Lattitude E6430 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Tascam US-144 / M-Audio 2496 interfaces

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 6.5; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, FabFilter, Native Instruments, Sound Toys, and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!
foolomon

Postby Mr M » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:13 am

filterfreak wrote:
Steve Fogal wrote:Seriously though, I don't want my DAW to 'have' to be dependent in any way on the internet. My only internet source is on my smart phone, which I don't stream, upload or down load from...appart from very small files associated with email. I want my machine to be a stand-alone system.

But... for those who want stream/download, there should be that option.

the problem with c7 is tho steve for vst connect you need an internet connection ,for the hub you need an internet connection ,im like you i don't want my daw connected to the internet for the risk of viruses even tho it would only ever connect too steinberg and uad ,novation,motu im stil really dubious about it , i use the laptop to download what ever i need then install it on my daw

I can't see how this is a problem for Cubase 7 in terms of a user that doesn't have their daw online. All the functionality of Cubase 7 is still there otherwise and if you dont have your daw online then you are used to working without connectivity in a studio.How else could concepts like Vst Connect and the Hub work without a connection?

After years of refusing I setup a connection for my daw this year. It's the best single move I've made in a long time. Registering software and getting sounds is 100times easier. There really is no threat of getting a virus unless you do web surfing . All you need is a firewall and Windows Defender and maybe Malwarebytes
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M

Postby emotive » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:19 am

Mr M wrote:
filterfreak wrote:the problem with c7 is tho steve for vst connect you need an internet connection ,for the hub you need an internet connection ,im like you i don't want my daw connected to the internet for the risk of viruses even tho it would only ever connect too steinberg and uad ,novation,motu im stil really dubious about it , i use the laptop to download what ever i need then install it on my daw

After years of refusing I setup a connection for my daw this year. It's the best single move I've made in a long time. Registering software and getting sounds is 100times easier. There really is no threat of getting a virus unless you do web surfing . All you need is a firewall and Windows Defender and maybe Malwarebytes

I use MSE and never had any issues, plus I backup to Windows Live Skydrive for all my project files.

You get some problems every now and then with Office 2013, but I archive to a second hard drive anyway.
emotive

Postby emotive » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:54 am

It's not all bad.

You can have the machine running your DAW connected via Ethernet and run a hardware firewall if anyone is seriously paranoid about the web.

Personally I need my DAW online so I can upload stems via FTP, which is not by definition a dangerous or destabilizing activity.

Most problems come via the browser and in particular downloads. Opera protects me on that front by its' sophisticated handling of MIME types.
emotive

Postby ShikiSuen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:53 am

What I want to tell is that Cakewalk Music Creator and some productivity products from other company were on sale on Steam.
ShikiSuen

Postby Jeff Hayat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 am

Heh, when I saw the thread title, I thought you were trying to say that Cubase could be sold and delivered on a Steam Boat, b/c the d/l was so slow. :lol:
Jeff Hayat

Postby papi61 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:42 am

ShikiSuen wrote:What I want to tell is that Cakewalk Music Creator and some productivity products from other company were on sale on Steam.

You're talking low-end consumer products, not pro-audio (or pro-video) suites. Cakewalk certainly aren't selling Sonar X3 through Steam.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
papi61

Postby ShikiSuen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 am

papi61 wrote:
ShikiSuen wrote:What I want to tell is that Cakewalk Music Creator and some productivity products from other company were on sale on Steam.

You're talking low-end consumer products, not pro-audio (or pro-video) suites. Cakewalk certainly aren't selling Sonar X3 through Steam.

Then why Steinberg doesn't sell Sequel and Cubase Elements on Steam? :?
ShikiSuen

Postby papi61 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 am

ShikiSuen wrote:
papi61 wrote:

Then why Steinberg doesn't sell Sequel and Cubase Elements on Steam? :?

Cakewalk is notoriously more consumer-oriented and always trying to seek profits even in markets where profits are very slim. I remember when you could buy a Cakewalk audio interface (crap, of course...) and Sonar LE at Fry's Electronics (!!) If I were Steinberg, I wouldn't bother with markets made of absolute amateurs who will give you a $10 profit, a very high percentage of returns and endless customer service calls where the tech has to waste time explaining the basics to an absolutely clueless guy who expects to learn everything in 5 minutes. I do admire Steinberg for not even wanting to touch that kind of market with a ten-foot pole.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
papi61

Postby curteye » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:14 am

Does Steam take a 'piece of the action'?

If so what's next?

Cubase on the App Store
or Google Play
or Amazon?

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby papi61 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:59 pm

curteye wrote:Does Steam take a 'piece of the action'?

Of course they do. Not only that, but they force you to run their application in the background, which I'm pretty sure messes with a lot of the processes going on in a DAW. So, I guess it's still OK if it's an entry-level product like Music Creator or Sequel, but professionals and serious amateurs would never accept that with a pro-level DAW like Cubase or Sonar.

papi61

Postby Strophoid » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:24 pm

I run steam on my gaming desktop and I would never ever run it on my daw. It hogs my pc significantly, to the point that I try to avoid using it. It's just that the deals they have are extremely good. It works for many people though, so it must be related to my setup. Still not going anywhere near my daw laptop.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Elektrobolt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Why should I need to install a piece of software just so that I can install another piece of software?
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby papi61 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 am

Elektrobolt wrote:Why should I need to install a piece of software just so that I can install another piece of software?

Officially, it's to provide a common platform for online gaming.
Unofficially, it's to fight piracy (not much fun to play an online game alone...) and sell you more stuff. I read somewhere that their limited-time sales constitute something like 75% of their entire business.

papi61

Postby Strophoid » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Elektrobolt wrote:Why should I need to install a piece of software just so that I can install another piece of software?

Mostly for licensing and providing updates.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby Elektrobolt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:55 pm

The USB eLicenser works great at licensing, it's simple and it keeps my work machines off the Internet. I download updates on a separate machine and copy between setups using USB memory sticks.

Why would I want to manage yet another account for yet another service?
Steam would force computers to be on the Internet, if not always then some of the time.
It would also require me to run at least one additional application/service running.
Does Steam download advertisements in the background?

(The questions are rhetorical. ;) )

Nah, I am sorry, but if it's not better, they can keep it.
Elektrobolt

Next

Return to Steinberg Lounge