Cubase could be sold and delivered on Steam Platform.

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Cubase could be sold and delivered on Steam Platform.

Postby ShikiSuen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm

papi61 wrote:
ShikiSuen wrote:What I want to tell is that Cakewalk Music Creator and some productivity products from other company were on sale on Steam.

You're talking low-end consumer products, not pro-audio (or pro-video) suites. Cakewalk certainly aren't selling Sonar X3 through Steam.

And Cakewalk sells SONAR X3 on steam now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268290/
Last edited by ShikiSuen on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShikiSuen

Postby papi61 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:31 pm

ShikiSuen wrote:
papi61 wrote:
ShikiSuen wrote:What I want to tell is that Cakewalk Music Creator and some productivity products from other company were on sale on Steam.

You're talking low-end consumer products, not pro-audio (or pro-video) suites. Cakewalk certainly aren't selling Sonar X3 through Steam.

And Cakewalk sells SONAR on steam now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268290/

Man, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel... :roll:
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
papi61

Postby curteye » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:29 pm

papi61 wrote:Man, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel... :roll:

Then there must be some $$$ down there. :)
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby papi61 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:50 am

curteye wrote:

{'-'}

Probably not much, just wishful thinking... The STEAM crowd don't strike me as the types who'd fork out 500 bucks for a DAW. I've read somewhere that something like 75% of STEAM's entire business is generated by their limited-time sales. Which means people are there for the bargains, and Sonar X3 Producer definitely doesn't look like one to them... They might sell a few copies of the lesser versions though. That is, if the software doesn't need STEAM to run in the background. Or else it would be pure madness.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
papi61

Postby ShikiSuen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:01 am

papi61 wrote:
curteye wrote:

{'-'}

Probably not much, just wishful thinking...
The STEAM crowd don't strike me as the types who'd fork out 500 bucks for a DAW.

I've read somewhere that something like 75% of STEAM's entire business is generated by their limited-time sales.
Which means people are there for the bargains, and Sonar X3 Producer definitely doesn't look like one to them...

They might sell a few copies of the lesser versions though.
That is, if the software doesn't need STEAM to run in the background.
Or else it would be pure madness.

But the STEAM crowd seems to be glad on affording 10 bucks a month to rent a SONAR Artist subscription.
(64-bit supported SONAR Artist has no limits on how many Tracks/AUX/Plugins used per project, while Cubase Pro does.)

It really is a good time for Steinberg to think about doing businesses on STEAM.
(eLicenser is fragile and is a bit trouble for USB-port-insufficient MacBook laptops.)

Probably, someday in the future, STEAM would offer a new standalone client for pro-app usages only.
ShikiSuen

Postby distante » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:15 am

I don't know about you but I don't see Sonar on steam, just some cakewalk addons
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.10 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart
distante

Postby ShikiSuen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:38 am

distante wrote:I don't know about you but I don't see Sonar on steam, just some cakewalk addons

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293140/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/339960/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/339961/
They won't offer SONAR X3 on steam anymore, but those people who purchased SONAR X3 on STEAM could still use it.
ShikiSuen

Postby beerbong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:39 am

Currently I am really hoping that DAW makers can all work together and move towards a service like Steam in order to deliver a single application to install and update all plugins, host backups for preset and personal configurations, and provide community portals for forums, support, and sales.

I think SB could worj with Steam but I am not convinced Steam is the right choice to support DAW and various plugin types. But it sure is a good inspiration.

I think we really need a service to manage those things... so we can spend less time updating and backing up.

Also there is a potential for such a service to also host cloud storage for project files.

If these companies can find a service to host all VST and protools plugins together, I think we will have a winner..

The key, I think is using this service as a plugin service which small and large companies can take advantage of so they can spend much less time on their own marketing and sales, website management, security schemes etc..
BB
beerbong

Postby beerbong » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:20 pm

So I doubt that Steam will be able to support installation and handling of VST2, VST3, AAX plugins for both OS's as well as 32/64 versions but it still has some potential.

There should not be anything running if you don't want it to (with Steam) it has no bloatware as far as I can tell. So far my experience with it has been fantastic, but then I do have the Steam service launcher removed from the Startup list so it doesn't load on boot.

I do hope that they work more on providing the Steam service for general applications, though. I am going to start buy all my apps on that service from now on if I can.

Also I love the marketing aspect - the sales team is fantastic at providing both new products in the full price range and older products in the discount price range. Sales is super secure as far as online sales go.

Backup and reinstall is the best, everthing is stored in one folder and if you just want to copy the install files into place manually instead of redownloading everything - you can do so...

Go Steam
BB
beerbong

Postby ShikiSuen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:17 pm

beerbong wrote:So I doubt that Steam will be able to support installation and handling of VST2, VST3, AAX plugins for both OS's as well as 32/64 versions but it still has some potential.

There should not be anything running if you don't want it to (with Steam) it has no bloatware as far as I can tell. So far my experience with it has been fantastic, but then I do have the Steam service launcher removed from the Startup list so it doesn't load on boot.

I do hope that they work more on providing the Steam service for general applications, though. I am going to start buy all my apps on that service from now on if I can.

Also I love the marketing aspect - the sales team is fantastic at providing both new products in the full price range and older products in the discount price range. Sales is super secure as far as online sales go.

Backup and reinstall is the best, everthing is stored in one folder and if you just want to copy the install files into place manually instead of redownloading everything - you can do so...

Go Steam

Current Steam client does not require pretty much background resources…
…besides, there's an option for you to turn off the game news pop-up every time you run steam.

But I still think Steam should provide a standalone client for pro-apps only…
…since most university on-campus network services block steam access.
ShikiSuen

Previous

Return to Steinberg Lounge