MidiGuitar software - by JamOrigion

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Guitar To MIDI Software...and 'other' solutions

Postby Guest » Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:Another thought is...does Fishman have a 'non-wireless' solution/version? I missed this thing during my research, and have not found any guitar to midi pick up that can be used alone like this.

No, only wireless.

Steve Fogal wrote:I know that DEMO's always show their products working 100% but in the real world that may not be so. The DEMO's showing the young guitar whiz guy doing amazing things with the YRG definately is working better than I have in my 2-3 sessions with it.

Well, I imagine that the "wiz" played with this thing a lot more than 2-3 times. ;)

Postby knuckle47 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Draconis Systems wrote:Not only that, but at http://www.zzounds.com, you can buy one for 4 easy payments of $99.95!

Act NOW and we'll may double your order
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby knuckle47 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Draconis is right...it's just that disc man looking thing and there is no wired version. And as Drac said...their wizard makes it sound amazing but I do think its probably very close to the performance demo. I had read a bit on it over the last few months

Steve, sorry to hear about that tooth. A year ? The freakin thing must has really started to let you know it was there. I know we discussed going only when it was REALLY necessary. Around here it's about 900 for the root canal. That's what my dentist charged me and IF you think you're going to be needing a few more visits, check into dental insurance. It's coverage sucks and likely has not kept pace with the times in 20 years regarding payments, but it may be cheaper to pay the monthly premium and get $1500.00 in annual coverage then to pay the dentist. Pays to check

Akamarko, a user here, did a few tutorial videos and posted a song where he used the YRG and he runs a very nice website called Music for iPad. You may be interested. I know you don't iAnything.
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby Guest » Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 am

knuckle47 wrote:
Draconis Systems wrote:Not only that, but at http://www.zzounds.com, you can buy one for 4 easy payments of $99.95!

Act NOW and we'll may double your order

No, there will be none of that!

However, Zzounds has done right by me. The only problem I have with them is that they're also in NJ, so I have to also pay slaves tax @ 7.25%!

BTW, my complete set of dentures will cost less than that root canal. ;)

Postby Guest » Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 am

knuckle47 wrote:check into dental insurance. It's coverage sucks and likely has not kept pace with the times in 20 years regarding payments, but it may be cheaper to pay the monthly premium and get $1500.00 in annual coverage then to pay the dentist. Pays to check

Try http://www.vitalsavings.com/. The program is cheap, and it gives you access to reduced pricing available to Aetna covered dental patients. The savings can be pretty significant, and most dentists are probably willing to cover you under this very cheap plan.

Postby knuckle47 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:30 am

So, we share that same problem
knuckle47

Postby surfer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 am

What dentists and doctors charge you is significantly more than what they negotiated with the insurance company. When dental insurance went away I got my dentist to agree to let me pay the rate the big insurance companies pay. Worth a little eyeball to eyeball time. If he won't take the deal try the next one down the road
surfer

Postby Guest » Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 am

knuckle47 wrote:So, we share that same problem

Tooth decay? :D

I presume that was what you meant, since I happen to like NJ.

If you're anywhere near Hackensack, HUMC has a dental program that could save you some serious money.

Postby knuckle47 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 am

I work almost across the street....but I live near Great Adventure...WHAT A *^%$&^%# Ride. My teeth are fine thank goodness right now. My hope is they stay that way for a while.

It's my MIDI that really needs work. Never got involved years back but it seems that it can do a lot for me so...I continue trying
knuckle47

Postby Mr M » Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Few points on midi guitar playing and editing

Take the time to set the sensitivity especially as it gets recorded into Cubase

Dynamics become an entirely new concept since what works on guitar may not n midi guitar ,just something to be aware as you're probably seeing

When you finish a take to like ,duplicate the track so you have a version to work with

Select all on the track and and delete short notes , you'll need to experiment to see the best setting for your playing

Select all and delete doubles. Depending on your tracking Cubase will likely miss a lot of doubles so...

Open the midi track in the list editor,to me this is the best way to get remaining doubles. For best control ,just scroll down and manually delete remaing doubles

Of course ,there is a world of editing that an be done with the velocity and modulation if your sound generator responds to this in terms of timbre for example.Vst 3 3instruments like Halion se are even better

Users smarter than me have likely worked out intelligent editor setting to automate more of this so look around for this, I personally find note by note editing the foolproof way especially for chordal playing like piano
I
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M

Postby knuckle47 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm

So my newest problem in discovering MIDI Editing is with the " Piano Roll". I have the track laid out and recorded but I have added an extra note by accident on the keyboard. I can easily erase it with the eraser tool. I stupidly CANNOT seem to get the drawing tool to cooperate as easily in moving this odd fingered keyboard note to a line or two elsewhere ...Am I using the wrong tool for this? ( Sorry for the novice question)

I am an audio recorder so this stuff is really new to me with MIDI ...but am am diggin' the heck out of it
knuckle47

Postby Mr M » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm

knuckle47 wrote:So my newest problem in discovering MIDI Editing is with the " Piano Roll". I have the track laid out and recorded but I have added an extra note by accident on the keyboard. I can easily erase it with the eraser tool. I stupidly CANNOT seem to get the drawing tool to cooperate as easily in moving this odd fingered keyboard note to a line or two elsewhere ...Am I using the wrong tool for this? ( Sorry for the novice question)

I am an audio recorder so this stuff is really new to me with MIDI ...but am am diggin' the heck out of it

Drawing tool doesn't move notes. You need the selection tool for this. Also knowledge of control and alt modifiers with the selection tool are crucial You really should immediately stop and go look at the midi editing tutorials that came with Cubase . The 10 minutes is well worth it
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M

Postby knuckle47 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks Mr. M for 50 years my "read directions first rule" comes last
knuckle47

Postby Mr M » Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 pm

knuckle47 wrote:Thanks Mr. M for 50 years my "read directions first rule" comes last

I'm the same way as and as I've gotten older I'm almost militant about not reading in this case the tutorials are something you've already paid for and do great job of explains midi and audio editing BTW coming from an audio background none of this is as hard a editing a 1" tape with a razor. Just don't let yourself think its difficult. As you go along you'll see that Cubase is the result of 30 years of folks figuring out the easiest way to do something (usually that is)
Mr M

Postby knuckle47 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:28 am

In 30 years of computer use from my VIC 20, Commodore 64, Apple IIe, PC XT....software has always been very intuitive for me. I've gotten so accustomed to just jumping in, that learning how to use it to get a result rarely fit the net ending. All of that Microsoft stuff, Quickbooks, etc . Just never read anything... Just seems to work fine.

Then I discovered Cubase SX 2.0 and have struggled since. It is so flexible and uses some things very different from the data entry type stuff. Even my outdoor stuff, welding stuff, tractors, wiring, motorcycle restorations....not much reading of instructions there either.

Add all of this new fangled electronic music gear and the well formed habit of not reading anything...translates to ....doom! I just added a newer midi interface to the PC and just read that the USB switch does something, even though it is just a larger version of my old midi interface with that same USB switch.....never read that old manual either. Yes, I realize I'll never get it right unless I take the time learn it , it's just so cool to see it doing something, I gladly just press the next button
knuckle47

Postby knuckle47 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:37 am

By the way : heading out to Oakland and Rutherford in the middle of September , your other post has me thinkin' :shock:
knuckle47

Postby knuckle47 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey Steve,

I have a very good friend that I met when skiing in 1971.. His brother said something like..." Oh, my brother skis...where you are going to be.?" It was one of those things like ...yup..OK Mind you I NEVER even met him and only met his brother a day earlier for the first time ....after quietly thinking NO WAY is this guy driving 8 hours to meet us...

That night in a HUGE blinding snowstorm at 2 am, a knock on the door and its him... I have made plans like this over 40 years an ONLY ONCE...has this come off like this. Any way, I saw him by surprise in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA in 1984 after losing contact 10 years...Now he is living near Geyserville ???? SO I am going to surprise him again !

I REALLY thought that NJ had some "wild" places. You seem to imply that it is like the wild wild west out there. I have to rent a car in San Fran and RUN LIKE HELL !

Is it a wisdom of aging or do a lot of us begin to enjoy the slow lane? I never was part of that rat race stuff and maybe I pay for it a little now but my life is ALMOST simple ... I live in a rather rural area of NJ, maybe one of the last ones left and let the rest of them just give me the finger as they drive by , cut in and enjoy being rude all while texting behind the wheel. In a previous post I had said its is " F U...me first" around here. There are very few of us left from a generation that was so loving, giving and peaceful...but I adapt. IF NOT, I jump on that 1947 Harley Davidson Knucklehead and vent.

As for the learning curves... You know it as I can tell from the fact that you are enjoying the YRG so much, that you have not even set the string sensitivity...Every time you make some sounds, you are just happy to see the result. The GR 33 has these settings and it makes a huge difference when set properly. EVEN MORE FUN. The GR 55 is even more adjustable

I am getting a lot from the Cubase video tutorial but I also forget it quickly unless I keep at it. Just like anything else. The more you do it...etc
knuckle47

Postby Guest » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm really itching to 'Add To Cart'...

Postby Guest » Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Crap!

In the cart, shrekout compleat!

Crap. Crap. Crap. I don't have any MIDI sound modules! What was I thinking?!?!?

Postby knuckle47 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 am

Draconis
Well, that is something I look forward to hearing about. My guess is the $399 is the going price? I missed that Club Cubase gathering last night. I got out of work at 3 and did not feel like hanging out for 4 hours. Was also hoping to demo a GR55 to compare it to my 33 and see if it might be worth the upgrade

Steve,
Something seems to have told me you and shenanigans go hand in hand. With 2000 + posts your personality comes out a bit. I know that is why I enjoy these discussions. For what it's worth, those string sensitivity adjustments on the GR had really made a BIG difference and made the sound "cleaner" but that's not the right word. It just plays the sounds like they might have sounded if the actual instruments were in the room and not being implemented by a guitar.
just like when you and I first met
. I need to remember that one. Some of those late Cubase nights might prove it useful. We met in 1975 so by this time, it's moot....I think.
knuckle47

Postby Guest » Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 am

knuckle47 wrote:My guess is the $399 is the going price?

Well, I think it turns out to be $132 + change, plus three more payments of $99.95. I ordered too late to get it tomorrow, so it will arrive Monday afternoon, delivered by my UPS guy, Rich Williams.

Postby Guest » Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm

I don't run XP anymore on my DAW. It's all Win7 64. I've already got a Yamaha KX8 88-key AI controller on USB, but also an Axiom 25 on USB MIDI. No problems yet that I know of.

Your dedication to antiquated technology is your thorn.

Steve Fogal wrote:one good reason to use a smaller, less expensive guitar if using a Roland or Fishman type unit in your home recording environment as your midi recording controller.

Hey, good idea. I've got a junker Yamaha strat, with an Ibanez rock maple neck, that will do a nice job there.

Postby Guest » Sat May 11, 2013 2:36 am

FedEx is my carrier, and they have listed tomorrow as the delivery date...

Oh man, goody goody!

I'm cleaning and restringing that old strat now. Hold the strings, in case they need to be removed!
Last edited by Guest on Sat May 11, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby knuckle47 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 am

Great break...a Saturday delivery ! Looks like we' ll be busy tomorrow. Do you read the instructions first ? :lol:

By the way, I'm will to bet I have that same Yamaha strat...this one is black. I keep it behind the couch for those moments of inspiration, and, it plays as good as my Strat.
knuckle47

Postby Guest » Sat May 11, 2013 2:57 am

knuckle47 wrote:Great break...a Saturday delivery ! Looks like we' ll be busy tomorrow. Do you read the instructions first ? :lol:

By the way, I'm will to bet I have that same Yamaha strat...this one is black. I keep it behind the couch for those moments of inspiration, and, it plays as good as my Strat.

Okay, this is getting somewhat strange, in a "6 degrees of similarity" kind of way.

The Ibanez neck on this strat...well, the Roadstar it came off of was black...before I painted it candy apple blue.

So, the friend of my cousin's friend's sister...LOL

BTW, bought this baby for $25.

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg Lounge