Logic Pro X is out.

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Logic Pro X is out.

Postby Steve Helstrip » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 am

I've had time to have a play with Logic X now. While it sucks in some areas (eg. multi out instruments) I'd take its GUI over Cubase 7 any day. VERY clear and easy on the eye. Pristine fonts and a mixer that doesn't randomly screw up. Gonna stick with it for a while here.
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.9
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
Steve Helstrip

Postby Pete » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 am

Steve Helstrip wrote:I've had time to have a play with Logic X now. While it sucks in some areas (eg. multi out instruments) I'd take its GUI over Cubase 7 any day. VERY clear and easy on the eye. Pristine fonts and a mixer that doesn't randomly screw up. Gonna stick with it for a while here.

Yes, it looks much better than Cubase. And it's great that Apple has focused on streamlining the workflow. It's much better than L9 and earlier. This was much more needed than throwing in a bunch of half finished bells and whistles features. The competition has spend years catching up with Logic in so many areas. Where Logic never had the edge was ease of use. That has changed now. Smart move.

Why do toy think multi out instrument implementation sucks?
Sweden
MacPro 2.8. 10 gig Ram. OS 10.9.2, MacBookPro, 2x MH ULN-2 2D +DSP, Focusrite OctoPre, MOTU midi express XT, Roland keyboard, JV1080, Cubase7, LogicProX, DSP-Quattro, Sibelius 7, NI Komplete, FabFilter, PSP, OhmForce, Aether, AltiVerb, AutoTune, Melodyne. Cubase IC Pro
Pete

Postby orchetect » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Steve Helstrip wrote:I've had time to have a play with Logic X now. While it sucks in some areas (eg. multi out instruments) I'd take its GUI over Cubase 7 any day. VERY clear and easy on the eye. Pristine fonts and a mixer that doesn't randomly screw up. Gonna stick with it for a while here.

Yeah sadly... after messing around in Logic X I tried to recreate its color scheme in Cubase 7. Close but no dice. :mrgreen:
Steffan Andrews | Composer for Film, TV & Games | www.orchetect.com | imdb
DAW #1: Mac Pro 5,1 2.4GHz 12-core 64GB RAM | DAW #2: iMac 14,2 3.5GHz 4-core 32GB RAM | OS X 10.9.3 | Cubase 7.5.20 64bit | UA Apollo
orchetect

Postby iRan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:31 pm

I have Logic Pro X, Steinberg has nothing to worry about..
Cubase and the new HALion 5 just rocks . Also there is no
upgrade price for logic you buy full price, next version comes out, you
buy full price again...
its a download and install no installation files to keep, in case you need to redo
install its back to downloading again..
logic's content is thin sounding. it mixer's faders are not that good as cubase.
there not very tight and sensitive..
for me its always been Cubase, I have tried others :D
Cubase 7.5, HALion 5 Groove Agent 4
UR824, Yamaha KX61 and KX49, Yamaha Motif XS Rackmount, Yamaha Headphones.
27 inch iMac Custom i7 Quad Core, Maverick , iPad Air with iC Pro,
Rolland V Drums
iRan

Postby loorenz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:01 am

iRan wrote:Cubase and the new HALion 5 just rocks . Also there is no
buy full price again...
its a download and install no installation files to keep, in case you need to redo
logic's content is thin sounding. it mixer's faders are not that good as cubase.

I think that you can't really compare on this point.
For a mac user Logic is 179 euros for a complete bundle : the DAW come with some good plugins and instruments, ESX24 is a good product too, drummer works just fine (have you try it ?).
Logic is better on CPU usage on mac too.

Cubase is really more professional on many points, I work mainly with it, but Cubase price is 600 euros, and if you add HaLion for 250 euros it's a more expansive product.
loorenz

Postby Norbury Brook » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:10 am

loorenz wrote:
iRan wrote:Cubase and the new HALion 5 just rocks . Also there is no
buy full price again...

I think that you can't really compare on this point.
For a mac user Logic is 179 euros for a complete bundle : the DAW come with some good plugins and instruments, ESX24 is a good product too, drummer works just fine (have you try it ?).
Logic is better on CPU usage on mac too.

Cubase is really more professional on many points, I work mainly with it, but Cubase price is 600 euros, and if you add HaLion for 250 euros it's a more expansive product.

yes but has already been pointed out, you have to buy a $2500 dongle to use it.

If Steinberg or Avid etc had to survive selling it's premium product for 179 euros there'd be no more r and d and they'd be out of business in a few years. The whole cheap/free iOS app world could be very damaging to software developers in the long run. Apple don't care because they take 30% of the top of every app store purchase hence them moving towards everything going through the App store.

Imagine you're a plugin developer and you can only sell your new plugin through the app store, you loose 30% off the top straight away to Apple. The Apps store only method of delivery is moving things in a dangerous direction.

MC
Asus X79 pro | 3930x @4.6 hex core | 32 gigs DDR3 | Crucial M4 SSD-win8 x64 | Samsung 840 SSDs | Spinpoint F3's | Poco | VSS3 DVR2 Non Lin | UAD 2| 2x MR 816 | UR824 | full CMC selection |2x Euphonix MC Mix | MC transport |Cubase 7|Nuendo 6 |Windows 8.1 x64
Norbury Brook

Postby dr4kan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Norbury Brook wrote:yes but has already been pointed out, you have to buy a $2500 dongle to use it.

again with this rubbish...

Do you really think that people buy a mac just because of Logic?

I bought a $799 Mac mini (i7 2.3 GHz, quad core) and I payed $100 to buy 16 GB of ram. So, at the end it costed to me $899, including the OS...Is it that more expensive than a PC? What about the cost of Windows?

In addition I also bought 2 SSD which I would buy anyway also with a PC. With my setup Cubase (and everything else) runs flawlessly...
Cubase 7.5, Mac i7 16 GB ram (512 + 512 Samsung 840 pro), OSX 10.9.0
MR816X, Motu Ultralite, UAD 2, MCU Pro, CC121, Adam A7x, Axiom 49...
dr4kan

Postby G-string » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 pm

dr4kan wrote:
Norbury Brook wrote:yes but has already been pointed out, you have to buy a $2500 dongle to use it.

again with this rubbish...

Do you really think that people buy a mac just because of Logic?

I bought a $799 Mac mini .

not exactly a full sized computer thou is it for that amount of buck
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby loorenz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 pm

You won't make change my opinion about mac, my first job is in graphic design and I'm a mac user since 1990. ;)
Never had (big) problem with one of my computer since this time.

About pricing let see another point of view :
I think that Apple sell Logic for 179 euros because there are the challenger actually.
It's the same in graphic design, a few year ago Quark Xpress was expansive and Adobe Creative Suite was cheap. Now Adobe is the leader their products are quite expansive.

In my case, if LogicX was more expansive I don't have bought it.
I thing that hobbyists that have a mac computer will go to Logic if they want something more powerful than garage band for recording mixing projects.
Just a marketing decision, the lower is the price more you sell software, and less piracy it is.
Apple don't need logic sells to survive, that just they want to be present on the DAW software market to have a product for their customers.

The sell policy on apps store is another problem, I agree with you for this.
loorenz

Postby Marcus Bits » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:27 pm

orchetect wrote:

Yeah sadly... after messing around in Logic X I tried to recreate its color scheme in Cubase 7. Close but no dice. :mrgreen:

Haha me too! :D

Cublogic.jpg
(279.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
C6.5 C7 | Custom Mac / Windows 8 |
i5 @ 2,8 Ghz / 560 Ti / 8 Gb ram |
Marcus Bits

Postby serenity » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Damn. I need this workflow in Cubase 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ75NCgX ... dktSfwHEuQ

Everything on hand. No floating windows, closing when click on any other place. Logic is fast. Maybe they'll do it for PC again ? ProTools did.
Pawel

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit / Cubase 7 64 Bit / RME Fireface 400
serenity

Postby orchetect » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Marcus Bits wrote:
orchetect wrote:

Haha me too! :D

Cublogic.jpg

I find that it's impossible to get automation nodes to show up on a dark background in Cubase because the nodes are always black.
Steffan Andrews | Composer for Film, TV & Games | www.orchetect.com | imdb
DAW #1: Mac Pro 5,1 2.4GHz 12-core 64GB RAM | DAW #2: iMac 14,2 3.5GHz 4-core 32GB RAM | OS X 10.9.3 | Cubase 7.5.20 64bit | UA Apollo
orchetect

Postby Centralmusic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:46 am

serenity wrote:Damn. I need this workflow in Cubase 7:

Everything on hand. No floating windows, closing when click on any other place. Logic is fast. Maybe they'll do it for PC again ? ProTools did.

You mean that One-Window-Handling in Logic? I hate it. Because I use 3 TFT´s. Love the workflow in Cubendo.
In Cubase you´re also very fast - or faster - with the use of own shortcuts, e.g.
Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:50 am

Centralmusic wrote:

You mean that One-Window-Handling in Logic? I hate it. Because I use 3 TFT´s. Love the workflow in Cubendo.
In Cubase you´re also very fast - or faster - with the use of own shortcuts, e.g.

i agree -- shortcuts, macros (although buggy in cubendo), workspaces... it's where the speed is at. if you're content sticking to logic's implementation it's great, but once you want to start customizing you're in trouble.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby Norbury Brook » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 am

Centralmusic wrote:

Me too +1

MC
Asus X79 pro | 3930x @4.6 hex core | 32 gigs DDR3 | Crucial M4 SSD-win8 x64 | Samsung 840 SSDs | Spinpoint F3's | Poco | VSS3 DVR2 Non Lin | UAD 2| 2x MR 816 | UR824 | full CMC selection |2x Euphonix MC Mix | MC transport |Cubase 7|Nuendo 6 |Windows 8.1 x64
Norbury Brook

Postby krem » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm

To use Logic X you need to have purchased an expensive Mac fairly recently(only works with 10.8.4). And that`s just to open it, say nothing of using it for large projects.
Last time I checked Steinberg didn`t make or sell computers.

Blackout wrote:look at the difference in price tho....Cubase is waaayyy too expensive. they need to get with the program.
Home built PC with Sandybridge 3,3GHzi5-2500K 16GB RAM Windows7SP1 64bit, SSL MADIXtreme64/AlphaLink MX, M-Audio midi keyboard, Cubase 7.5 64bit, Halion Sonic 2, NI Komplete 7, EZDrummer, M-Tron Pro, plug-ins from NI, Waves, Softube, SSD, Soundtoys, Steinberg
krem

Postby G-string » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 pm

krem wrote:To use Logic X you need to have purchased an expensive Mac fairly recently(only works with 10.8.4). And that`s just to open it, say nothing of using it for large projects.

Blackout wrote:look at the difference in price tho....Cubase is waaayyy too expensive. they need to get with the program.

+1
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Re: worried about the pro/mac pro market

Postby krem » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Futurehold wrote:You are biased beyond belief.

And you`re not?
To use PCIe cards(which a lot of us audio pros are) on the new Mac "Pro" you need to buy expensive add ons to an already expensive computer, and thats right? Or maybe I should sell my perfectly good SSL PCIe card and converter at a huge loss to buy myself something more Mac "Pro" friendly? Seems right to you maybe, but not to me.
And only 4 USB slots? Pro? Come on!
Last edited by krem on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home built PC with Sandybridge 3,3GHzi5-2500K 16GB RAM Windows7SP1 64bit, SSL MADIXtreme64/AlphaLink MX, M-Audio midi keyboard, Cubase 7.5 64bit, Halion Sonic 2, NI Komplete 7, EZDrummer, M-Tron Pro, plug-ins from NI, Waves, Softube, SSD, Soundtoys, Steinberg
krem

Postby C.LYDE » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 pm

krem wrote:To use Logic X you need to have purchased an expensive Mac fairly recently(only works with 10.8.4). And that`s just to open it, say nothing of using it for large projects.

++1 :roll:
Android 4.1.2 : MACOSX 10.6.8 : Win7 32Bit : Win8 64bit : Samsung & Intel Processors: Nvidia Graphics: SeaGate and Western Digital HDDs : Dell Touchscreen
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Those who can't... hang out in forums and talk about it.
C.LYDE

daws daws daws

Postby Marcus Bits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Or maybe build a custom mac?

Thats what i run, Win 8 and OSX on the same pc.

I've got nothing against windows, but there's nothing wrong with a mac either.

Think outside the box, build your own machine if you want a "mac", don't build one if not, make some music.

Cubase lacks stuff, logic lacks stuff. I prefer Cubase, but still, no daw is perfect. I'm curious as to why cubase still lacks an easy way to do Bounce in place, where is clip automation as in FL or Live?

I wonder at times if the makers of these DAWs out there are just stubborn and refuse to use features that their competition already have implemented. I think cubase would attract more users with automation clips and B-inplace. It's the most complete daw out there.
Marcus Bits

Re: daws daws daws

Postby C.LYDE » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Marcus Bits wrote:Or maybe build a custom mac?

What is that. .a PC.. ? Hehe

Depends on the concept of "wrong"... overpriced hardware is wrong in my book.

Cubase lacks stuff, logic lacks stuff. I prefer Cubase, but still, no daw is perfect. I'm curious as to why cubase still lacks an easy way to do Bounce in place, where is clip automation as in FL or Live?

Don't consider that an advantage based on my work methods. ..same reason why I use Live, but in many ways is pretty useless. .. personal preference methinks?

Btw garage band is considered popular, and yet I could never understand the attraction. ..one man's rubbish another's slice of heaven?

I
Android 4.1.2 : MACOSX 10.6.8 : Win7 32Bit : Win8 64bit : Samsung & Intel Processors: Nvidia Graphics: SeaGate and Western Digital HDDs : Dell Touchscreen
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Those who can't... hang out in forums and talk about it.
C.LYDE

Re: daws daws daws

Postby Marcus Bits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 pm

C.LYDE wrote:
Marcus Bits wrote:Or maybe build a custom mac?

What is that. .a PC.. ? Hehe

Depends on the concept of "wrong"... overpriced hardware is wrong in my book.

Don't consider that an advantage based on my work methods. ..same reason why I use Live, but in many ways is pretty useless. .. personal preference methinks?

Btw garage band is considered popular, and yet I could never understand the attraction. ..one man's rubbish another's slice of heaven?

I

Cubase is the most complete daw i think, I used logic for five years or something but switched when c6.5 came out. There's something about the workflow there that suits me, key commands cover alot of things you cant cover in logic. Never tried garageband, if it's like a semi logic app (?) then why not just buy logic?
Marcus Bits

Postby Muziksculp » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:28 am

Looking forward to the release of Bitwig Studio. I feel it will be the best complementing DAW for Cubase users.

I see nothing that would make me bother with LPX . Plus, Apple's communication with their DAW users is non-existent.

Steinberg is #1 for pro-Audio .

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Cubase 7.5, Halion 5, Halion Sonic 2, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab 8, 3 X PC systems, 2 X RME UFX Audio Interfaces.
Muziksculp

Postby jpgtr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:01 am

Yes, The GUI is very nice.

The C7 mixer has a LOT of extra power features over the LPX mixer, though. Most basic (and important) advantage is that the Logic Pro mixer has NO support whatsoever for mouse-over scrolling parameters. Used to quickly nudging values as you mouse over? Forget it. In Logic you ALWAYS click. Heck, sometimes you even need to hold the mouse click down for an extended period. (something I'm not fond of C7 adopting!)

For those of us whining about all the extra clicking in C7 mixer... play with Logic for a day...

I believe Cubase will catch up to Logic Pro X's appearance faster than Logic Pro will catch up to Cubase's functionality.
2012 Mac Pro 10.8.4, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 7.0.6 (and 6.0.7), UAD-2 Duo
jpgtr

Postby Yo Stro » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 am

I was thinking about trying Logic. I thought I was missing out on something. People I've talked to that use it, speak highly of it. Now I don't think I'll waste my time with it. There's definitely been some good info in this thread especially on how Logic compares to Cubase. From everything I'm seeing on here, Logic is a step backwards. Besides, if I ever want to use Cubase on a PC I can...I'd be SOL if I wanted to do that with Logic.
OS 10.8.5 Cubase 7.5.2,
Macbook pro 15-inch early 2013, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ,Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB,500 GB SSD
RME fireface 400/UA Apollo twin duo
Yo Stro

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg Lounge