Artists that are 'sell-Outs'

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Artists that are 'sell-Outs'

Postby twilightsong » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:21 pm

1magineer wrote:Nobody on the outside can judge whether someone is selling out or not. That's an inner dialog... It is not what it looks like from the outside, but what it feels like on the inside.

Kock wrote:Being true to yourself, and yourself only is the ultimate in integrity, no matter what anyone else says.

Excellent points; nice summations of the topic, IMO 8-)

I'd add that even IF an artist feels within himself that he is "selling out," it's a bit silly how many of us elevate this into some sort of crime. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. To ply one's craft for remuneration is not evil, it's life, including situations where one is being paid by someone else -- LIKE YOUR BOSS -- to do it! Further...I don't pay money to attend a Bangles concert to hear virtuosity and to be "challenged" musically; if I want that, I can go over to the University of Illinois New Music concerts and pay THEM to hear THAT.

At this point, I'm not sure anymore that the term "selling out" even has any legitimacy whatsoever. I do recognize, however, the inner turmoil that a person can feel when they feel they aren't following their heart's desire. My dad once told me, when I was a young teenager, that I needed to start doing what I HAD to do, instead of what I wanted to do. I think a worse fate than slightly prostituting one's music would be not doing music at all. A guy who had been a successful insurance agent, but at age 40 quit and became a composer, told me "You either follow your Muse, or it will become your curse." :!:
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember
twilightsong

Postby Patanjali » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 pm

The three great phases of life:
1) Being able to create something new and inspiring.
2) Keeping oneself afloat in the world.
3) Knowing when and how to let go of what does not serve you.

Of course everything ebbs and flows between them.

Technical ability and being impressed .... not!
I used to 'like' John McLaughlin, especially in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days, though his version of Bill Evan's Peace Piece was one of my 'if I could just play that I would be happy' inspiring pieces of music. When I was younger, Jimmy Hendrix was a guitar 'hero' as well.

A few years later, I went to a concert where John McLaughlin, Al de Miola, Paco de lucia and Steve Morse were on together. All ARE virtuosos on guitar for their own styles, but I ended up finding it hard not to fall asleep, because while they exuded technical competence and flair, they were clearly doing stuff to impress, and I wasn't impressed, but bored! At that point, it really brought home that technical ability per se is not life inspiring for me, so not worth my effort in its own right.

Popular imperative and inspiration
Several years ago, an Australian band did a song called Down Under. It went ballistic worldwide, and has become a rallying point for Australians everywhere, notwithstanding the legal problems with the flute riff much later. However, they followed that with what seemed like a fairly depressing sort of songs. Then I heard an earlier live recording of their big hit, and it seemed to have the same depressed feel about it. Obviously someone else had pushed them where they naturally, if left to their own devices, would not have ventered. I'm glad for that person(s) being there that pushed them out of themselves. Was it a sellout or that someone saw potential for the song to be something much more and made it happen?

Making decisions that open doors
When my current wife and I got together 14 years ago, I didn't know that she could sing, nor did she know that I could do mixing.
We bought her a guitar so that she could do something with it. I wrote a few simple lyrics to which she wrote some music, and that opened a door to her composing lots of songs.

Eventually, we decided to get a sound card so that we could record her. When I heard the first ever few seconds of a rough test recording, I 'knew' that we needed to get her music down and it was enough to inspire me to go through the 'agony' of the hundreds of hours it took to get her first CD out.

We hired a couple of musicians to play her songs on the CD to which she sang. We managed to get it into JB HiFi (35 copies in the biggest CD store in Australia), but unfortunately didn't have the money or the marketing skills to make it any more than a concept proof that we could make a record that someone would want to sell.

Since then we moved to another city and every time the crunch came between earning money at my lucrative IT job to keep us afloat and making something of the music, the music kept getting rated down in importance.

However, for six months at the start of last year, I could not get any work, not even at 2/3 my normal rate. At that time, we decided that music needed to become a major focus of our business. Later found out that that was my double Saturn return, which is a time when circumstances in life force one to make a choice about the direction of one's life.

Now, over the years, I had bought all sorts of instruments -- a flute, bass guitar, Takamine 12-string -- but on none of them could I even remotely make music, and let them go. It just did not seem to be within me.

However, soon after the music decision, I saw a Griff Hamlin '4 note blues' YouTube, downloaded it and suddenly it all made musical sense and I could actually play lead guitar. Which was interesting because while my wife had become very proficient on finger-style and rhythm guitar, we were stumped as to how we could get lead type stuff done. Problem solved!

Now, me wife's folk-country-whatever 'mongrel' music (her words for cross genre) is not something I would buy for my personal entertainment, which tends to favour 60s pop, but I can play with it. I have even heard some hints of Peace Piece in my playing at times (not by my design as I wing it by feel).

I got to building a proper studio for audio visual recording over the next eight months and we have just got out our first YouTube and download, 18 months after the decision to up the musical ante. I played Martin OMCPA4 guitar and U-Bass on it, and played bluegrass-style Eastman mandolin on the next one coming up soon.

The question then is: Have I sold out or am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?

While you ponder on that, I'll take the $64,000 to keep doing it, thanks.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung 55" 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.30 64 : iC Pro : RX4Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
Patanjali

Postby Oedipus Driftpunch » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 am

Go on X-factor!
Oedipus Driftpunch

Postby Patanjali » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Oedipus Driftpunch wrote:Go on X-factor!

Now that is basically promoting selling out, like xxx Idol, etc. That is, 'I'll do whatever you want to get my 15 minutes of fame, even performing stuff you wouldn't catch me dead doing if I wasn't here'.

Of course these shows perpetuate the myth that there can only be few winners, when the industry could support a whole lot more people full-time, but just not excessively rich.

When we did our CD in 2004, I worked out that if we sold as few a 200 CDs a week at that time, we would have as much income as I was getting from my full-time lucrative IT work. Now, in Australia, a gold record is 35,000 album sales, which means that at 200/week, it would take over three years to get a gold record.

After Casey Donovan won Australian Idol in 2004, her album sold over 200,000 copies, or hex gold = triple platinum, but her record company considered her a failure because they expected a lot more (despite rushing it out in a week, which showed) and dumped her.

The big labels really only want a few really-successful artists who are very industry-savvy. They want to minimise advertising overheads, and lots of artists means lots of money down the drain. Sponsoring these 'talent' shows is supposed to produce guaranteed sales to people who have emotionally invested in their favourite 'sacrificial lambs', er ... artists. They have not really been interested in artist development for several decades, especially since they have been forced to stop fleecing artists of their royalties.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung 55" 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.30 64 : iC Pro : RX4Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
Patanjali

Postby Oedipus Driftpunch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:28 am

The only musicians who complain about the Music Business are those who were rejected by it and are now bitter. The exact same people who would sell out in a heart beat if false nose and glasses mogul offered "that contract".

It's hard being a "has been", but really painful being a "never been"

Go on X-Factor. You get 2 minutes of fame being rejected.

Mom gives the best iron love!!
Oedipus Driftpunch

Postby Patanjali » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 am

Oedipus Driftpunch wrote:The only musicians who complain about the Music Business are those who were rejected by it and are now bitter.

And music royalty auditors.

Fortunately, these days the price of entry into the recording business is a lot cheaper than a couple of decades ago, but publicity still costs! Very few can afford a $50k advertising budget, but it could make a lot of difference.

Otherwise, its YouTube and SEO legwork.
Patanjali
Patanjali

Postby Buchanan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Cream just for Wrapping Paper. Traffic for Paper Sun and all those bands who decided their music was shi... and did everyone else's on bad clubs for dud money. Dressed as polished turds.
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan

Previous

Return to Steinberg Lounge