Happy birthday MIDI!

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Safe to say that MIDI opened the door up to a lot of would-be composers, myself included, I am sure it changed many lives for the better (and initiated GAS in many others).

My first MIDI synth was the Korg Poly61m (descendant of the Poly6). I purchased a Poly 61 (no midi) in 1982, and then when the M was released, I switched over to that. You needed a midi filter box as it received only in OMNI mode! Next was the Prophet 2000.

Those were the good old days in some respects, my studio partner back then purchased a ton of midi modules, we had 4 Yamaha DMP7 mixers cascaded together, every parameter was automatable by MIDI, and more keyboards than we had room for.

Now its all in one little box. (Thank you Steinberg for VST). But I still have some outboard gear speaklng MIDI.

Happy Birthday indeed.
Robin
Join Us At The Forest

| Cubase 7.5.1 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win7 64 |
User avatar
NorthWood MediaWorks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

BriHar wrote:The DX7 was the first MIDI capable synth we got.


Thanks BriHar,

Yes, thats what i kind of thought. i don't ever remember hearing of any DX7 owners complaining about unreliability with its onboard Midi spec.

Paul
Nord Stage Classic 88 (Revision B), Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Fender Rhodes Stage, Hohner E7 Clavinet, Mini Moog Model D, Multi Moog, Yamaha DX7 (Mk1) & DX21, Roland Juno 6, Roland XV-5050 (module).

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 7, Cubase Artist 7.5, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Groove Agent 3, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 7 Home Premium, 2.13gHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Pentium, Service Pack 1.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Member
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Wallasey, Wirral
Has thanked: 476 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby Mr M » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 am

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:Safe to say that MIDI opened the door up to a lot of would-be composers, myself included, I am sure it changed many lives for the better (and initiated GAS in many others).

My first MIDI synth was the Korg Poly61m (descendant of the Poly6). I purchased a Poly 61 (no midi) in 1982, and then when the M was released, I switched over to that. You needed a midi filter box as it received only in OMNI mode! Next was the Prophet 2000.

Those were the good old days in some respects, my studio partner back then purchased a ton of midi modules, we had 4 Yamaha DMP7 mixers cascaded together, every parameter was automatable by MIDI, and more keyboards than we had room for.

Now its all in one little box. (Thank you Steinberg for VST). But I still have some outboard gear speaklng MIDI.

Happy Birthday indeed.


My first midi synth was the Korg Mono Poly ,great sounding unit. My main 61 key synth today is the Prophet 2000 . I hung onto it even though its not used much apart from its range. Not sure if its survived the move as I think I heard parts rattling from the disk drive
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M
Member
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby NorthWood MediaWorks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 am

Mr M wrote:My first midi synth was the Korg Mono Poly ,great sounding unit. My main 61 key synth today is the Prophet 2000 . I hung onto it even though its not used much apart from its range. Not sure if its survived the move as I think I heard parts rattling from the disk drive


http://www.winecountrysequential.com/page9.html

I remember the one internal sound of the 2000 - did a tune with that as it was kinda unique... cool you still have one that may work... 12 bit samplers had their own character, for sure. We had 3 of them in the studio in the late 80's, two with the 8 out expansions and increased RAM. However, a Roland S-550 replaced mine, that was a cool sampler, SCSI disk, external monitor and mouse...
Robin
Join Us At The Forest

| Cubase 7.5.1 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win7 64 |
User avatar
NorthWood MediaWorks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby Mr M » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 am

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:
Mr M wrote:My first midi synth was the Korg Mono Poly ,great sounding unit. My main 61 key synth today is the Prophet 2000 . I hung onto it even though its not used much apart from its range. Not sure if its survived the move as I think I heard parts rattling from the disk drive


http://www.winecountrysequential.com/page9.html

I remember the one internal sound of the 2000 - did a tune with that as it was kinda unique... cool you still have one that may work... 12 bit samplers had their own character, for sure. We had 3 of them in the studio in the late 80's, two with the 8 out expansions and increased RAM. However, a Roland S-550 replaced mine, that was a cool sampler, SCSI disk, external monitor and mouse...


Yeah it's been ultra reliable all these years. I had to get a replacement floppy drive 15 years ago from Wine Country btw. It's internal sounds aren't much to speak of at all, surprised you found one!
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths
Mr M
Member
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:07 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby NorthWood MediaWorks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Mr M wrote:[t's internal sounds aren't much to speak of at all, surprised you found one!


Indeed, they were horrible, but there was one when you added a bit of chorus, worked well for my ears. We actually sequenced tunes with the Prophet 2000 using a Roland MSQ700, cassette interface and all! :lol: The Mac Plus and MOTU performer came shortly thereafter - no hard disk in the beginning! Look at us now! 8-)
Robin
Join Us At The Forest

| Cubase 7.5.1 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win7 64 |
User avatar
NorthWood MediaWorks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby matjones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm

I remember circa '96 i configured the live rig for the two 'keyboard players' whom i was playing with at the time....
At that time i would program all the parts on the Trinitys' sequencer then transfer them along with a bunch of sysex to a Yamaha MDF2 data filer which we used to sequence the parts live.... it worked surprisingly well with no problems at all.....usually after filtering out a certain amount of control data causing buffer clogs lol.......

We ran a Trinity plus, 01W/fd, M1, Yamaha SY77 and EMU Orbit and Vintage keys with an Alesis SR16 sending a click to the drummer via cans..... i do kinda miss those days though..... :geek:
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
User avatar
matjones
Member
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Here....
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby matjones » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
User avatar
matjones
Member
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Here....
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Happy birthday MIDI!

Postby NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I meant to dig this up sooner, its a long watch, but interesting....

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/nam ... idi-570682
Robin
Join Us At The Forest

| Cubase 7.5.1 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win7 64 |
User avatar
NorthWood MediaWorks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Previous

Return to Steinberg Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests