Music: 78 RPM w/Melodica added

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Music: 78 RPM w/Melodica added

Postby kzarider » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:03 pm

This is a tune I recently found in my almost forgotten about bin. I did a quick mix but hope to put someone playing some Eric Gale like guitar and a Real drummer too. I still think even though it's in a budgetary hold mode lol, it might still be good enough to share here for comments.
Kenny
https://soundcloud.com/zkeys-music/78-rpm
Last edited by kzarider on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
User avatar
kzarider
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby Suprawill1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 am

Nicely done! Laid back dreamy cruising with a little tension here and there. Mix is nice, instrumentation is cool and sounds like a little old school with a contemporary twist. :)
Kinda busy now but if you hadn't done anything with this in the near future, I'd love to lay down a guitar track.
Home built Antec tower - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9550@3.4G - Gemini cooler - Corsair CMPSU-550VX - 8G Crucial Ballistix - Dual monitor - Cubase Studio 5 - Vista Business 64 - Tascam FW-1082 mixer/card/controller/interface - Melodyne - Kore - Kontact - Halion Sonic - HSO - Addictive Drums - Morphology Etc Etc
Suprawill1
Member
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby shadowfax » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:16 am

Cool..Cool..Cool..as per usual, just love the laid back brilliance.. :mrgreen: ..Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Cubase 7 64 bit on W7 intel i7-2700 CPU@3.50GHz, 2xSSD's..16GB ram, Yamaha N8, Genelec 8030BPM/Genelec7050BPM monitors...SPL track one, Shure KSM32 and a homemade soundbooth.
User avatar
shadowfax
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby iluvstrats » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:03 pm

I really like this. I'd love to take a stab at putting a guitar part on it. Might be a bit more Jeff Beck style then Eric Gales though. Is this sped up or slowed down as it does not seem to be in 440 tuning.
iluvstrats
Junior Member
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:20 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 78 RPM

Postby kzarider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:42 pm

iluvstrats wrote:I really like this. I'd love to take a stab at putting a guitar part on it. Might be a bit more Jeff Beck style then Eric Gales though. Is this sped up or slowed down as it does not seem to be in 440 tuning.

It should be 440 tuning but I could put a 440 test tone on it. The song was called 78 RPM as a sad joke because when I wrote it my water heater died and leaked all over a collection of 78 vinyl that my father left to me after he died. It ruined them all and I sorta just started recording at 78bpm to think of him. It was a great collection too :(

If you'd like to give a shot I would love to try and I know you would do something I could never think of and that is what music is all about! when I get it up to snuff I have the drummer of my dreams that will play on it. Will send you info private if I confirm it. Just say the word
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
User avatar
kzarider
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby kzarider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Suprawill1 wrote:Nicely done! Laid back dreamy cruising with a little tension here and there. Mix is nice, instrumentation is cool and sounds like a little old school with a contemporary twist. :)
Kinda busy now but if you hadn't done anything with this in the near future, I'd love to lay down a guitar track.

Will I would really love to play with you on something. This one may be covered but if you would don't forget that offer because I certainly won't!!!
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
User avatar
kzarider
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby Suprawill1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm

kzarider wrote:
Suprawill1 wrote:Nicely done! Laid back dreamy cruising with a little tension here and there. Mix is nice, instrumentation is cool and sounds like a little old school with a contemporary twist. :)
Kinda busy now but if you hadn't done anything with this in the near future, I'd love to lay down a guitar track.

Will I would really love to play with you on something. This one may be covered but if you would don't forget that offer because I certainly won't!!!


Cool. Sounds like a plan!
Home built Antec tower - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9550@3.4G - Gemini cooler - Corsair CMPSU-550VX - 8G Crucial Ballistix - Dual monitor - Cubase Studio 5 - Vista Business 64 - Tascam FW-1082 mixer/card/controller/interface - Melodyne - Kore - Kontact - Halion Sonic - HSO - Addictive Drums - Morphology Etc Etc
Suprawill1
Member
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby HornForHire » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Very nice Kenny!
It could also do with a real horn... 8-)
User avatar
HornForHire
Member
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:52 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby Andresgp » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Very slick and tasteful. I almost feel like the song is trying to seduce me! I real drummer and a guitar would go great for sure.

Very pleasing to the ears for sure though!
User avatar
Andresgp
Junior Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby MFox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm

What really struck me in this piece if how perfect the piano is, full of expression and color, and timing is perfect. Do you do a lot of editing to achieve this, or are you a natural perfect player? I always find when I do piano parts I need to do a of of MIDI editing to get the timing correct especially in a slower song. Your piano playing sounds natural, effortless and flowing. I admire that. Michael.
Mac Mini, 64 G RAM, Cubase IA 5, Yamaha S90XS, Saffire LE
MFox
Junior Member
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby Early21 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:15 am

Hi Kenny, another great one, really enjoyed it. I always love your stuff. If you add tracks, don't forget to post it for us!
Cubase 6.0, Wavelab 6 Essential, HP PE i7950/Win7, Lenovo T61 Laptop/WinXP/ADS Pyro Express Card, MR816CSX
My album Incontinental Breakfast at lborden.bandcamp.com
Early21
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby firestamper » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:51 pm

sounds like Miles Davis so far , look forward to hearing how it ends up.
User avatar
firestamper
Member
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:48 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 78 RPM

Postby kzarider » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:05 pm

HornForHire wrote:Very nice Kenny!
It could also do with a real horn... 8-)

Agree! I just put a melodica on it and I am waiting to see how the guitar works in track. I love to cut live w/real people but this has been fun too
Andresgp wrote:Very slick and tasteful. I almost feel like the song is trying to seduce me! I real drummer and a guitar would go great for sure.

Very pleasing to the ears for sure though!

I love your choice of words and with your permission I would like to quote that if I release this as a received comment!!! Thanks so much!
MFox wrote:What really struck me in this piece if how perfect the piano is, full of expression and color, and timing is perfect. Do you do a lot of editing to achieve this, or are you a natural perfect player? I always find when I do piano parts I need to do a of of MIDI editing to get the timing correct especially in a slower song. Your piano playing sounds natural, effortless and flowing. I admire that. Michael.

Wow that statement is great for the heart! I do very little editing ever on my piano, Piano and Organ are my instruments and I grew up in a time when you didn't have the opportunity to fix anything - straight to tape. If you wanted an edit in song you sliced the 2" and only the very best engineer did this well. So I still think like that. I do sometimes edit Synth parts and always edit bass parts if I use Trillian or Vienna Instruments Upright.
Michael your statement about editing in slower song is very true as playing slower is so much more difficult than playing fast. I learned from a drummer that lives in Atlanta and would play whole note then 1/2 etc at 40 50bpm for hours when we were on road. What a groove he has just by playing everything as slowly as possible, never forgot how difficult that is to do.
BTW the piano sound I have worked on for a long time and I am finally (temporarily) happy w/it 8-)
Kenny
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
User avatar
kzarider
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby Suprawill1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:31 pm

kzarider wrote:
HornForHire wrote:Very nice Kenny!
It could also do with a real horn... 8-)

Agree! I just put a melodica on it and I am waiting to see how the guitar works in track. I love to cut live w/real people but this has been fun too
Andresgp wrote:Very slick and tasteful. I almost feel like the song is trying to seduce me! I real drummer and a guitar would go great for sure.

Very pleasing to the ears for sure though!

I love your choice of words and with your permission I would like to quote that if I release this as a received comment!!! Thanks so much!
MFox wrote:What really struck me in this piece if how perfect the piano is, full of expression and color, and timing is perfect. Do you do a lot of editing to achieve this, or are you a natural perfect player? I always find when I do piano parts I need to do a of of MIDI editing to get the timing correct especially in a slower song. Your piano playing sounds natural, effortless and flowing. I admire that. Michael.

Wow that statement is great for the heart! I do very little editing ever on my piano, Piano and Organ are my instruments and I grew up in a time when you didn't have the opportunity to fix anything - straight to tape. If you wanted an edit in song you sliced the 2" and only the very best engineer did this well. So I still think like that. I do sometimes edit Synth parts and always edit bass parts if I use Trillian or Vienna Instruments Upright.
Michael your statement about editing in slower song is very true as playing slower is so much more difficult than playing fast. I learned from a drummer that lives in Atlanta and would play whole note then 1/2 etc at 40 50bpm for hours when we were on road. What a groove he has just by playing everything as slowly as possible, never forgot how difficult that is to do.
BTW the piano sound I have worked on for a long time and I am finally (temporarily) happy w/it 8-)
Kenny


Hey Kenny, I remember those days of splicing 2" tape also. :) The double Studer drives, outboard gear etc.

The Slowwww beat is harder to achieve only if you're not in the groove. More time elapses between beats and not everyone has the musical patience to actually wait for that next beat to naturally fall. The counters feel that more than the groovers. Groove on my friend! :)
Home built Antec tower - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R - Intel Q9550@3.4G - Gemini cooler - Corsair CMPSU-550VX - 8G Crucial Ballistix - Dual monitor - Cubase Studio 5 - Vista Business 64 - Tascam FW-1082 mixer/card/controller/interface - Melodyne - Kore - Kontact - Halion Sonic - HSO - Addictive Drums - Morphology Etc Etc
Suprawill1
Member
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 78 RPM

Postby desert » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah cool, nice laidback tune. Your piano sound is very good , perfect ambient reverb. What do you use?
Work in progress so maybe a mix with the drums a little more upfront mixed? just for a try?
It has a live acoustic sound the way it is now, but i am curious what it would sound like with a close mix , could be the electronic part shines a bit more, really liked that. :D
Good playing anyway, thanx for sharin , enjoyed it,

Peter
Think of your ears as eyes
desert
Junior Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:14 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: 78 RPM

Postby kzarider » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

desert wrote:Yeah cool, nice laidback tune. Your piano sound is very good , perfect ambient reverb. What do you use?
Work in progress so maybe a mix with the drums a little more upfront mixed? just for a try?
It has a live acoustic sound the way it is now, but i am curious what it would sound like with a close mix , could be the electronic part shines a bit more, really liked that. :D
Good playing anyway, thanx for sharin , enjoyed it,

Peter

I use Vienna Imperial Grand into Vienna Mir. The drums are Stylus but I will replace them hopefully soon. I gravitate toward the live on stage feel and sound, but I know what you mean and may try that when I do a final mix. I did raise the 4-6k a little so the hats should stand out a little more. One thing I don't like about Stylus is you are sorta stuck with their samples on 2 track but it is a great tool to write with.

I just bought a Melodica and played it on here for fun I'm not sure if it will stay in track or not, was fun playing it though :)
Thanks for the comments!
Kenny
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
User avatar
kzarider
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Music: 78 RPM w/Melodica added

Postby desert » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:31 pm

love the melodica. Keep and use it! :D
Think of your ears as eyes
desert
Junior Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:14 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time


Return to Steinberg Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests