POLL: Would you like "old" style lane editing, as an option?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Would you like the "old" lane editing back, as an option?

Yes, I would like to switch to the "old" C5 lane behaviour, for MIDI / Audio tracks that I choose
72%
No, I am happy with the "new" C6 lane behaviour, I don't need the old C5 behaviour
28%

Total votes : 165

POLL: Would you like "old" style lane editing, as an option?

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm

EDIT: for an explanation of the problem, please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3232

The new "comping" system of MIDI and audio lanes is very powerful.
However, it is not suitable for all types of recording, editing and composition

So I propose that the "old" / "new" behaviour be a user-selectable option on each track's control panel.

That way, we can have C6-style linked cutting / sizing / muting on the tracks where that is appropriate,
and where it is not appropriate, we can switch back to the old C5-style of independent editing / sizing / muting events.

I feel it is important that we are given the choice of behaviours ourselves.

Please add your voice!

Peace and funkiness!

FD
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: POLL: Would you like "old" style lane editing, as an option?

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 pm

or a compromise.... being able to cut anywhere on midi tracks..

Postby vic_france » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:55 pm

I do believe that something needs to be done. Dunno what the ideal solution would be though. Could be something like, a new "Comping Mode button" in order to invoke this new Cubase 6 behavior, or a more global option in Preferences, or, some variant on the idea of having this available per track (although I fear that might get rather confusing, in practice, if there are many tracks in the Project, each with several lanes, and a different "mode" for each track).
Mac Pro Quad-Core 2.66 gHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV l Mac OS X 10.8.5 l Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Cubase 7.5.20| Cubase 7.0.7| Cubase 6.5.5 | Cubase 5.5.3
vic_france

Postby Ian s » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:14 pm

I said yes, I'd like some sort of option to move between pure comping, and lane editing.

I love the new comping lanes for comping, but for cycle recording/lane editing there needs to be a more flexible solution
Last edited by Ian s on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C7.06 | W7 | MR816CSX | CC121| ES-175D | Es-345
Ian s

Postby Konundrum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:31 pm

FunkyDrummer wrote:The new "comping" system of MIDI and audio lanes is very powerful.

I feel it is important that we are given the choice of behaviours ourselves.

+1
Konundrum

Postby alexis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 pm

For the ignorati (moi!), could you maybe please explain the differences between the two?

I've got SX3, but I'll try to extrapolate to C5 ...

Thanks!
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

alexis wrote:For the ignorati (moi!), could you maybe please explain the differences between the two?

I've got SX3, but I'll try to extrapolate to C5 ...

Thanks!

This thread explains the problem :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3232

Postby Zenda » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi

I've voted to have choice.
My reasoning is in the other thread

FunkyDrummer - thanks for putting it to the poll
:)
The Gypsy King
Music - out of date
Photos

i7930, OCZ Vertex2, Raptors, RME Multiface 2, 12gigRam, C5, Photoshop CS5, Unreal Tournament.

Zenda

Postby Adam_Bove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm

The need for independent part/event behavior isn't a common use for lanes in my particular workflow, so the current way of working would rarely affect me. However, after experimenting a bit, I found a possible workaround (for the time being) while the debate continues whether to incorporate a choice into a new update/release,

For audio or MIDI: locking the parts/events on the lanes you don't want to cut, allows them to be unaffected by the snip tool and/or the select tool modifier.

For audio only: "events to part" then working inside the part editor with the snip tool (not the select tool modifier) only clips the intended event.

I know this may slow the process considerably, but at least we can keep working in the meantime?
Intel Core 2 Quad | Windows 7 sp1 64bit | Nuendo 6.5.30 - NEK | Cubase 7.5.30
Adam_Bove

Postby matjones » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm

+1
Yes it would be GREAT to have the choice to use EITHER method!
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Adam Bove wrote:
For audio or MIDI: locking the parts/events on the lanes you don't want to cut, allows them to be unaffected by the snip tool and/or the select tool modifier.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I lock them, they are unaffected by cutting and sizing,
but not from unmuting !! :( :(

If I lock a muted MIDI / audio event, then click on it with arrow tool, the event unmutes itself !!!!
Even though it was supposed to be locked (on "Size + Position + Other" setting) :-/

So, I now need to find a workaround, for this part of the workaround. :shock:

Postby TonyB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:56 am

The workaround that I'm using is : Create a key command for "split at cursor".
Select the audio event that you want to cut & position the SongPositionPointer where you want the cut.
Use the key command.
Only the selected event(s) will get cut -> other lanes are unaffected.
Only marginally slower than using the scissors, and, if you normally zoom in before cutting, by dragging down from the ruler, then the SPP will already be in the right place...
| Cubase 7 | Wavelab 8 | Windows 7 (64bit) | PC Intel i7 | Motu Traveller | Halion 5 |
TonyB

Postby fuzzydude » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 pm

matjones wrote:+1
Yes it would be GREAT to have the choice to use EITHER method!

+1
EMIXPRO - http://www.emixpro.com
London, UK

Steinberg Setups - Macbook Pro 10.9 I PC - i7 - SSD - 32 gigs of ram I Win7/8 64 I MR816CSX and MR816X I Yamaha n12 I CC121

Cubase 7.5 I Nuendo 4, 5.5, 6.5 + (NEK) I Wavelab 8.5, Halion 5
fuzzydude

Postby Headlands » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:31 pm

There is not a single reason not to give users a choice. These kinds of choices are what makes a truly great DAW -- not forcing the longtime user to abandon one way that works amazingly well for another.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby chrisyking » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:32 pm

All Steiny need to do is give us the option of cutting the lanes separately. The current method only works if every take has exactly the same timing, otherwise it's a nightmare......
chrisyking

Postby Headlands » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 pm

TonyB wrote:The workaround that I'm using is : Create a key command for "split at cursor".
Select the audio event that you want to cut & position the SongPositionPointer where you want the cut.
Use the key command.
Only the selected event(s) will get cut -> other lanes are unaffected.
Only marginally slower than using the scissors, and, if you normally zoom in before cutting, by dragging down from the ruler, then the SPP will already be in the right place...

This is a great workaround -- thanks for posting it. Still, it's slower and lot more fiddly than the scissors. I work at hyper speed and this new lane editing thing is killing me on vocal editing.

An option should be incorporated, no question.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby CinStudios » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 am

Bump
CinStudios

Postby The dman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:06 am

chrisyking wrote:All Steiny need to do is give us the option of cutting the lanes separately. The current method only works if every take has exactly the same timing, otherwise it's a nightmare......

Exactly and I don't always work in exact segments...Please Please Please
Cubase 6.5.3 , 7.0.6 and 7.5 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3/ i72600k / G.SKILL Ripjaw (4 x 4GB)/SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU/ RME HDSP 9652 / UAD2Quad// Alphatrack/ Alesis HD24XR
The dman

Postby hkh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 pm

bump

what chrisyking said.
hkh

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm

I must point out to everyone that this affects MIDI and AUDIO tracks.

In C6 Steinberg have effectively stopped us using MIDI lanes as a creative, compositional tool.
(or at least made it very very hard)

Steinberg says that from now on, we must treat our MIDI parts just like audio.

Don't they know, they are not the same???

For a start, multiple MIDI parts on the same track *WILL* play back simultaneously, but audio will not (of course)
But C6 insists on muting other MIDI parts when I click one of them, as if I were comping an audio take!!
It doesn't make sense.

It is a complete pain in the asp for MIDI composition !!

I suspect that those who voted "NO" to the poll, are people who do not use much MIDI!!!
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Well it seems that 66% of users (who expressed a preference) are unhappy with this ...

Any comment from the moderators?

Postby Como Baila » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Polls often reflect the question. Those that voted no could have meant two things: 'No, I do not want them to include that preference ... I am against people having it;' or, 'No, I do not care one way or another because I'm OK with it the way it is now.'

Were the question this: "Do you think Steinberg should include the preference option to revert to the former behavior of lane editing through C5 some people prefer?" ... I think you would have got 100% "Yes."

Como
Win7x64 C6-32 Intel MOBO Dual Dualcore Xeon 3ghz Processors - RME Multiface II PCIe - Echo Layla24 - Mackie 824 Monitors - Mackie Controller Universal Pro - Mackie Big Knob - 2 UAD2 Quads - Novation SL 61 MK II - StudioLogic 880 Pro - Roland XV5080 - Korg Radias R - Emu CS PK-7 - MOTU Midi Timepiece AV Parallel - A Designs Pacifica - Mackie Onyx 800R - Mics - Controllers - Software - Stuff
Como Baila

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Como Baila wrote:Polls often reflect the question. Those that voted no could have meant two things: 'No, I do not want them to include that preference ... I am against people having it;' or, 'No, I do not care one way or another because I'm OK with it the way it is now.'

Were the question this: "Do you think Steinberg should include the preference option to revert to the former behavior of lane editing through C5 some people prefer?" ... I think you would have got 100% "Yes."

Como

Yes I see your point. The real "yes" count could actually be a bit higher than it is !

But 70% is already a large majority...

Almost three quarters of users want this changing back !! Any SB comment on that?

Postby VariMu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:53 pm

You seriously want the old mousclick-intensive muting/unmuting mess back? I considered that to be the single most frustrating aspect of working in Cubase. Multitake comping is a nearly inescapable part of modern music production, and the old system made the process twice as painful and tedious as it needed to be.

I suppose keeping options available is a good thing...but REALLY?
Core i7-3740QM | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Cubase 7.5 | Wavelab 6 | Plugins by Waves, Slate, URS, Celemony, Antares, SoundToys, Voxengo, iZotope, etc.
VariMu

Postby Keith99 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:35 pm

With respect Vari I dont think you understand the issue. It is with midi data that we want the old method back. I used lanes cut and mute etc. all the time in my workflow very effectively but now that has gone and there is no easy way now to do what I did
Keith99

Next

Return to Steinberg Lounge