Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby Dipmcus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:26 am

A friend of mine for nearly 40 years called me the other day, and offered me one of the seats he'd won from a local radio station to see this show. Remembering that it was my birthday, which is an occasion I have not celebrated for years, he thought it would be a great birthday present, and he was correct.

The venue was an intimate one (NYCB Theatre at Westbury, LI, NY), which I much prefer to large halls. We had seats almost next to the house mixer location. Despite this location, it seemed that the featured lead vocalist was, at times, unintelligible, due to either microphone problems, or some other technical difficulty.

Although near the edge of the venue, we had an excellent view of the stage.

The show opened with Watcher of the Skies, and ended, naturally, with a Los Endos medley mixed with some other themes (preceded by the requisite Firth of Fifth). The texturing throughout the set was superb. Steve hit a few off notes, which few likely noticed, since they were very few and far between. I couldn't believe it when the music started and I heard, "Walking across the sitting room...". I think the entire crowd was in disbelief at that moment. And, yes, they pulled it off most beautifully, with a chorus of wanna-be Peter Gabriels (including yours truly) singing loudly at the end, "and it's hey babe, with your guardian eyes so blue...hey my baby, don't you know our love is true? I've been so far from here, far from your warm arms! Now, I'm back again, and babe it's gonna work out fine!"

It was a great show, with great performances, all around. Steve has assembled a crack unit of music loving musicians to reproduce some of the best music ever written. He started the show by saying that he still plays this music because he still loves it. Well, we loved it, too, Steve. Thank you. Great music never dies.

Oh, and one last thing: never forget to remember the day you were born, and take that day to celebrate everything that is you. Whether you are successful, or struggling (like most of us), remember that you are unique. If you don't celebrate your own uniqueness, then who will?

Cheers. 8-)
Stuff, lots of it.
Dipmcus
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:50 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby curteye » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:49 am

Aloha D, Happy birthday and WAAAAAY KOOOOOL!!!!!!
Dipmcus wrote:Oh, and one last thing: never forget to remember the day you were born, and take that day to celebrate everything that is you. Whether you are successful, or struggling (like most of us), remember that you are unique. If you don't celebrate your own uniqueness, then who will?
Cheers. 8-)


Word!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
breaking in a Mac Pro.

Location:
On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
User avatar
curteye
Grand Senior Member
 
Posts: 4777
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby Jack » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:35 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "Dipmcus" Yes, you are correct. We all should observe the day we were born. After all, it is a day your mom had waited so long for also.
Jack
Junior Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:18 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby surfer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great show.
User avatar
surfer
Member
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby soul patch » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Glad you got to see the show & Happy Belated Birthday.

I know Nad ( lead singer) from the mp3.com / Artist Launch days.
Good to see his career doing well, IMO a great choice to fill those shoes.
(check him out with The Flower Kings too)
Last edited by soul patch on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win7 x64- i920
soul patch
Junior Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:55 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby swamptone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Excellent! I have most of his concert vids. But I've only heard/seen Mr. Hackett perform once live; The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour with Genesis (Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ). While that tour was reportedly plagued with problems, the concert I attended was spectacular and the music was note perfect.
formerly known as prism
User avatar
swamptone
Member
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby JMCecil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:21 pm

He'll be in Atlanta in March!! I'll have to catch that show. I really like Out of the Tunnel and Beyond the Shrouded Horizons. I'm soso on the Genesis Revisited tracks. Squakett is interesting if not well worn ground.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
User avatar
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member
 
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby Dipmcus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:24 am

swamptone wrote:Excellent! I have most of his concert vids. But I've only heard/seen Mr. Hackett perform once live; The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour with Genesis (Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ). While that tour was reportedly plagued with problems, the concert I attended was spectacular and the music was note perfect.


The band played Fly on a Windshield and The Lamia from the Lamb. They were both spot on.

As far as Nad Sylvan goes, I'm not incredibly impressed with his voice, stage presence (or lack thereof), or anything. I felt his performance was lackluster. I've watched a number of videos with him in this capacity, and the same critique applies. I'm not disrespecting the guy, I'm just not impressed.
Stuff, lots of it.
Dipmcus
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:50 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby soul patch » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:37 am

Dipmcus wrote:
swamptone wrote:Excellent! I have most of his concert vids. But I've only heard/seen Mr. Hackett perform once live; The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour with Genesis (Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ). While that tour was reportedly plagued with problems, the concert I attended was spectacular and the music was note perfect.


The band played Fly on a Windshield and The Lamia from the Lamb. They were both spot on.

As far as Nad Sylvan goes, I'm not incredibly impressed with his voice, stage presence (or lack thereof), or anything. I felt his performance was lackluster. I've watched a number of videos with him in this capacity, and the same critique applies. I'm not disrespecting the guy, I'm just not impressed.


Too bad,
I guess Steve digs him.
Win7 x64- i920
soul patch
Junior Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:55 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Steve Hackett:Genesis Revisited tour

Postby Dipmcus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 pm

soul patch wrote:
Dipmcus wrote:
swamptone wrote:Excellent! I have most of his concert vids. But I've only heard/seen Mr. Hackett perform once live; The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour with Genesis (Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ). While that tour was reportedly plagued with problems, the concert I attended was spectacular and the music was note perfect.


The band played Fly on a Windshield and The Lamia from the Lamb. They were both spot on.

As far as Nad Sylvan goes, I'm not incredibly impressed with his voice, stage presence (or lack thereof), or anything. I felt his performance was lackluster. I've watched a number of videos with him in this capacity, and the same critique applies. I'm not disrespecting the guy, I'm just not impressed.


Too bad,
I guess Steve digs him.


Oooohh, would you look at the big brain on soul patch! :lol:
Stuff, lots of it.
Dipmcus
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:50 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time


Return to Steinberg Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests