Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm

distante wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:Right now I'm considering getting myself the ASIO SDK to write at least my own 4 channel wave file playback software for live activities, so I can at least have THAT covered.

:?

Audacity man... audacity!

Can that play back to two separate stereo outputs? One for the FOH feed, one for the drummers click track?
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Postby distante » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 pm

mmm not sure really.

I'm using Reaper for live (mostly for recording) In reaper you can add as many stereo outputs as you (and your card) can handle
Hear and See "Corazón" a Rock Song made with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase 7 on Windows 8.1 ( PC 64bits system / Core i7 3773K )
Scarlett 2i2 and Cubase 7 on Windows 8.1 ( Laptop 64bits system )
*Always the latest version avariable.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart
distante

Postby jaslan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:46 am

Benutzername wrote:@TheNavigator: I was not talking to you. In fact I really like that idea. My comment was aimed at the ignorant troll right above my post.

Uncalled for...
Benutzername wrote:Cubase users who absolutely hate to have options at hands if needed (like you).

You misunderstand my point (probably why you call me a troll).

I never said I LIKE the dongle. In fact, some of the ideas expressed in this thread actually do sound good to me. But that is not my point.
My point is...
Steinberg has said that the dongle is here for the foreseeable future. So why keep whining about it? Either accept it until they decide to offer another solution or move on to something that better suits your needs. Make a choice and live with it like a man.

I am just tired of the irrelevant arguments trying to "make the case" why they "owe" a dongle-free solution.... "Because other DAWs do it...." (irrelevant, Steinberg makes their own choices, not other DAW companies). "Because I paid X amount..."(irrelevant, that is a past transaction that included the dongle). "Because they can...", "Because I need it..." None of it matters. NONE OF IT.

What matters is how THEY decide to market their product and whether YOU choose to buy it. That is my point. Not that the dongle is good, bad, or ugly for us or them.

Finally, as I am accused of "trolling" this topic, I could accuse others of "campaigning." Both of which are against the forum rules.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby henceforth » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:10 am

SB was in the beginning (at least in part) bank rolled by the Japanese multi-national Yamaha, for the purpose of acquiring Syncrosoft; this has led to better development practices for both protected and protection software.
henceforth

Postby TheNavigator » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 am

henceforth wrote:SB was in the beginning (at least in part) bank rolled by the Japanese multi-national Yamaha, for the purpose of acquiring Syncrosoft; this has led to better development practices for both protected and protection software.

Steinberg is much older than that. ;-)
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

TheNavigator

Postby Timo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:22 am

I use this one for months now, and you may roll over it with your car without damaging it. Shouldn't be too hard to use a case like this for the dongle:
http://www.amazon.de/Patriot-Memory-PSF ... B00C982KZY

It is on my bunch of keys, wanders from pocket to pocket, gets thrown around, and guess what - it simply works.
Tanzmusik und Hochzeitsband: The Rainbows - Music & Fun
Timo

Postby curteye » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:34 am

jaslan wrote:Either accept it until they decide to offer another solution or move on to something that better suits your needs. Make a choice and live with it like a man.

+1
{'-'} (or like a woman) :)
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
breaking in a Mac Pro.

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Buchanan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 am

You have a dongle. It's the same size as your house keys and car keys. Ask yourself how many times you have lost those EVER. And how many times have you seen car keys and house keys and dongles get lost. EVER.
If the answer is more than two then probably losing your dongle means that one is too dumb to understand Cubase anyway. :mrgreen: Honestly I do try to be nice. :lol:
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan

Postby TheNavigator » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 am

Buchanan wrote:You have a dongle. It's the same size as your house keys and car keys. Ask yourself how many times you have lost those EVER. And how many times have you seen car keys and house keys and dongles get lost. EVER.
If the answer is more than two then probably losing your dongle means that one is too dumb to understand Cubase anyway. :mrgreen: Honestly I do try to be nice. :lol:

I have never lost a key to my home, but:

1. I have BROKEN keys, quite a few times. I think I spent like EUR 1.000,- over the last 15 years for new locks, because of the broken keys

2. Steinberg sadly decided to use the cheapest, most fragile casing for the dongle... the cheapest thing could come up with or so

3. The contacts of the USB dongle are unprotected

4. People in public transport in parts of Vienna... have you seen "28 days later"? Thats what it feels like to go to Reumannplatz or Transdanubia

TheNavigator

Postby henceforth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:46 am

TheNavigator wrote:[The contacts of the USB dongle are unprotected.

I remember when RME first release the BabyFace, and they even came out and said that the Chinese makers did not make casings up to their standards, so it is quite possible that SB have not bothered to change anything since acquiring Syncrosoft.
henceforth

Postby Buchanan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I've had the same dongle for 15 years. Strapped onto my house keys when I go out with it. $1000 on broken keys! Is that because it's cold where you are or do you hit them with a crowbar? 10c worth of oil would probably stop that.
Buchanan

Postby Ed Doll » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 am

Timo wrote:I use this one for months now, and you may roll over it with your car without damaging it. Shouldn't be too hard to use a case like this for the dongle:

It is on my bunch of keys, wanders from pocket to pocket, gets thrown around, and guess what - it simply works.

Of course, a metal case would be more solid but please keep in mind that we do not produce them in quantities Patriot produces their USB sticks. This would result in a price increase for the USB-eLicenser. The new one will be shorter and we will have a look at the material again as well but chances are high that it will continue to be a plastic case.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Postby henceforth » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 am

hi Ed, how about offering users a choice?
henceforth

Postby Ed Doll » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 am

That would be even more expensive ;)
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Postby distante » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:19 pm

How about wood instead of metal? (no, I'm not kidding)

a smaller but yet plastic usb dongle is screaming "more fragile" to me, I (personally) don't care about the size if it is robust (also, the more tiny the usb dongle is, more likely to be forgotten)
Hear and See "Corazón" a Rock Song made with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase 7 on Windows 8.1 ( PC 64bits system / Core i7 3773K )
Scarlett 2i2 and Cubase 7 on Windows 8.1 ( Laptop 64bits system )
*Always the latest version avariable.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart
distante

Postby Timo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Ed Doll wrote:
Timo wrote:I use this one for months now, and you may roll over it with your car without damaging it. Shouldn't be too hard to use a case like this for the dongle:

Of course, a metal case would be more solid but please keep in mind that we do not produce them in quantities Patriot produces their USB sticks. This would result in a price increase for the USB-eLicenser. The new one will be shorter and we will have a look at the material again as well but chances are high that it will continue to be a plastic case.

Patriot at least shows that there _is_ a way to design an USB stick that is very stable and robust enough to be put on an average male's bunch of keys and that survives it in the long run; that's exactly what I would expect from a software dongle, too.
Tanzmusik und Hochzeitsband: The Rainbows - Music & Fun
Timo

Postby henceforth » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Ed Doll wrote:That would be even more expensive.

for who?
You, me or everyone?
henceforth

Postby TheNavigator » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm

henceforth wrote:
Ed Doll wrote:That would be even more expensive.

for who?
You, me or everyone?

Steinberg lets US pay for THEIR problem. So it would be more expensive for us, yes.

TheNavigator

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 pm

TheNavigator wrote:Steinberg lets US pay for THEIR problem. So it would be more expensive for us, yes.
Coming from someone so knowledgeable in the field that conclusion seems rather simplistic.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby Elektrobolt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Ed Doll wrote:That would be even more expensive ;)

Would it really? I mean, if people are having problems with the current ones, to the point of having to replace them, then wouldn't better assembly and casings be cheaper in the long run? (At least for them.) I'd rather pay triple the price and having ten times tougher a dongle! ;)

I have never had any problems with mine, but I wouldn't mind a much smaller (shorter, as in not sticking out so much) and if I dropped it, I would just smile because it was all titanium. Help me protect my licenses! :)
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby DG » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:41 pm

I find that the gen 2 iLoks seem more robust than the eLicenser, and they come with a little cap for protection. Besides, iLok has ZDT and with the new Loss and Theft option, it seems a much better system than eLicenser at the moment.

DG
Nuendo 6.07
Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 10 Core 20 Threads
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
nVidia GT 640 graphics card
DG

Postby Buchanan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:26 am

Wrap key in some silly putty and have fun bouncing it around.
Buchanan

Postby curteye » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 am

Elektrobolt wrote:I mean, if people are having problems with the current ones, to the point of having to replace them, then wouldn't better assembly and casings be cheaper in the long run?

Aloha E,

Had the same thoughts but then realized;

Can we Cubase users get a blank dongle from
BestBuy or RadioShack or MonoPrice etc?

Don't think so.

AFAIK we can only get a blank replacement dongle from Steiny.

So if and when your dongle starts packing its bags to head south,
there is only one game in town.

That being said;
I just can't see Yamaha/Steinberg make a lot of $$$
from selling blank dongles, but however small the Cubase DAW base,
Yamyberg or Steinha do have this corner of the market sewn up.

So like many others I just gaffer tape the f*ck out of it,
(I leave a lil hole so I can make sure the red LED lights up)
put it on my keyring and bob's yer uncle'.

IMHO
Users would be wise to have a spare (they are not too expensive) hanging around just in case;
and for mobile pros a total 2nd license would also be good insurance.
Pass the cost on to yer clients.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
breaking in a Mac Pro.

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby knuckle47 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:40 pm

For my real job, I have a 8 year old Sandisk 8 gb Cruzer thumb drive with a slide out connector on my key ring. It looks no different than the dongle except for the slide out connector....

That thing gets the s#!t beat out of it 6 days a week and has a backup of our accounting file on it. It is a critical backup. My dongle only sits in my desktop rear USB slot and has fallen apart several times. Someone here mentioned it fell on carpet and came apart...so did mine

No argument on how the Cubase security works only that if the license has such a value,give us an opportunity to preserve it. My wireless USB keyboard and mouse receiver stick out only 1/4".

I know this has been said over and over again but, WTF..can one more time hurt? Yep, I have a spare un opened for the last 4 years
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby Buchanan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:35 am

Dongles delicate? Nonsense. You can drive a tank over any plastic dongle and it will still work. Besides if Steinberg had a software key and PROtools had a dongle I'd say the same voices would be heard clamouring for a dongle.
If Cubase is unusable..... It's YOU. The guys that can't cope with a dongle and keep losing their housekeys (with dongle attached) or letting it fall out of their pocket or have it stolen because it's right there ready to go...
As far as I can tell Cubase is a lot older than most of the complainers here. This means that the dongle has a reliable history. Users aren't losing dongles in droves otherwise it would make the daily news. Which means that there's about three people who are really unhappy with the arrangement.
I'd rather trust Steinberg's security than some kid (ex-kid even) on the net who thinks an old joke is a new idea. :mrgreen:
Buchanan

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg Lounge