If it was your money?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: If it was your money?

Postby jb+ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm all excited all over again. :P
Think I'll toss out my $14,000-15,000 worth of stuff and just start again.

Problem Solved: I'll buy all your stuff for $1100.00 CAD. Shipping included, right?
Now you can get on with your new beginning......

Of course you are not too old or stupid to do this

Thanks

jb+

Postby BriHar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:49 pm

CAD? I used to know a few good stores downtown on Queen St. in TO - but that was many years ago, they're probably all long gone...

Basically what I ended up with was a stock Lenovo Thinktank E31 with two Intel SSD drives added plus an Nvidea graphic card (to support dual monitors VGA and DV). Apart from the acknowledge software bugs, I haven't had a single issue with Steinberg SW/HW, nor any other SW or periphery I use. (touching wood now ;) )
Maybe that will help you if you're looking for directions.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby jb+ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 am

Yes, downtown ought to have the good customizers, the upscale dealers.....and i'll be a customer for that...
The trick is to find a list of these non corporate competitors......and go for a walk on Queen St. or other....

BriHar, you use SSDs and Hard drives........i want my first system to be 120 SSD and 2TB and 3.5 processor speed.........it's my minimum---because there's lot of room for windows and Cubase 7 to do their lucky in the SSD and lots of room on the 2TB to pile up audio data...........

What do you think of this strategy ?....i say overkill in tech can't hurt a recording---assuming good taste
is going along with it

I live in the Niagara region of Ontario, Canada, but not too far from Toronto........eh ?

jb+

Postby BriHar » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 am

I went for two SSD drives - one for system and one for active projects. Seems to have worked out well. The physical hard disk is used only for archival, backup and library storage.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby jb+ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 pm

So BriHar when you work, the only drives active are SSDs ?....Am i right ?.....it's good

That makes the typical hard drive useful for archival storage etc, the way you use it....

What about the way a hard drive plays in actual music MAKING.......the way the rest of us rely on 7200 rpm in combat, eh ?

....like, you got the dream of 100% SSD.....behold

Babes will go solid state before you know it---Hugh Hefner

If i went custom, and i want to, i could operate on lots of solid state drive---float around that quiet speed...
...i could be el diablo solid !!!....is it not an advantage to work all in SSD ?.......is there a drawback ?

I doubt it's possible for me to be all SSD on budget.......but the Monster PC everybody says is too much for me has that solid state edge....ain't it sweet ?

Well darn, now i must have all solid state and/or a disk---don't attack, this is a future claim....but tell if you approve or not

.......i haven't shared this before: Computer screw-ups make me dysfunctional....I'm only trying to pack my
hand with great cards before i make a play ( record my first song )......glad yer all looking over my shoulder, eh ?

jb+

Postby BriHar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 am

Sounds like a plan ;)

BriHar

Postby jb+ » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Formal Thanks to All

.....i vote we end this thread gracefully
.....as a chrash course on some kind of acoustic determinism, for me
.....what it was besides that

i'll come back to you with experience---or technical problems, you bet.....%$#$%^(

john

jb+

Postby twilightsong » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:21 pm

I guess I'm too late to repeat my opinion that $1200 is WAY too much to spend for a computer IF you're on a budget and just getting started. Currently, I use a self-built computer with a Q9550 2.3 MhZ, with 6 GB RAM and 64-bit Windows 7, and I have yet to ever run into "horsepower" issues. SSD is of course nice, but IMO you basically bought a Bugati in order to drive to work and back in. Also, again, regarding the expenditure on treatment: I have not spent all that much on treatment, but I've gotten my sound going in pretty much where I want it. Coming out still needs some work. But what has gone "to tape" has just the right amount of reflection-free but not dead that I wanted.

6 large 48x31x4" corner mounted DIY bass traps: $300
a standing 70" tall DIY dual-baffle: $50
Auralex panels I bought years ago: $350 (bought on sale)
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember
twilightsong

Postby Brad Mize » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 pm

I recently bought a Dell i7 Quad Core with 16gb RAM, a 2TB HDD for $750 and added a 256gb SSD for $100. It's running C7 without a hitch and I'm using a UR22 interface that is performing wonderfully. Couldn't be happier. For a controller, I got an M-Audio Keystation 88es for $150.

I'm just saying you could save even more money if you work at it. Are you a student per chance? If so, you buy the educational version of Cubase 7 Artist for $150. I have Omnisphere but do not have Komplete, but it's on my shirt list. I just need to sell some things I don't use to fund it. Meanwhile, you really will be surprised how much of what Komplete has that is already covered by the instruments included in C7. HALion Sonic SE covers a lot of your bread & butter needs. You can always download the free "players" from NI and experiment until you figure out where your weaknesses in sounds are. Just another perspective from an old man that would have given anything to have this technology available back when I was young.
PC: Asus i7 - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - 2TB HDD - Win 7 Professional
Audio & MIDI: Steinberg UR22 - M-Audio Keystation 88es - Arturia MiniLab
DAW: Cubase 7
VSTs: Absolute VST Collection - Arturia V-Collection - Omnisphere
AAS Lounge Lizard 4 & Ultra Analog - Oddity - M-Tron - VB3 - OP-X
Brad Mize

Postby jb+ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 am

Brad.....why'd you wait so long to chime in ?

The setup you describe: i7intel quad core, 16 GB RAM ( can you upgrade to 32GB ? ), 2TB hard drive, 256 GB SSD......and C7....all that, is exactly what i want---how much for just that on CAD ?.....and of course, where did you get it ?

I would prefer the UR28M as interface----$400....and i want a 88 key weighted controler----$600 digital piano because i plan on resuming piano studies.....

What credentials do you have to present Steinberg to go Educational ?...I am technically a student---never got
my ( philosophy ) degree, Brock University, etc......

But the big bonus is you bought the same system elements, with perhaps the same purpose, that i intend on buying---That makes, if you'll be, the best reporter on this setup....you've already said: No hitches, eh ? Please
keep us informed......like if it blows up !

( Is there a stigma about buying Dell ?....you don't hear about them much ? )

Yes, i won't buy any VST packages untill i've mastered what i've talked about buying already---if i had the money,
if it was mine---i'd gearlust for both Omnisphere and Komplete 9.......but that is newbie talk...eh ?

Still, what's your report on Omnishere.....does it make you dream in colour ??????

merry christmas

john

jb+

Postby Brad Mize » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 am

After looking back, I was mistaken. The PC is a Asus and I got it through newegg.com. This is the exact model: ASUS Intel Core i7 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD Capacity Desktop PC Windows 7 Home Premium CM6730-US005O. It was $750 USD at the time (Sept 22). I added the Samsung SSD 250G|SAMSUNG MZ-7TD250BW R for $169 at the same time. I feel pretty certain prices are even lower now if they still have any of those left in stock. I was specifically wanting Win 7 as me and wifey have tried Win 8 and absolutely hate it. Both of us are geeks and very computer literate, but just can't seem to wrap our collective heads around W8.

Regarding the UR22, I bought that for a temporary fix in the studio. I, like you, want a UR28m if nothing else for the ability to hook up multiple sets of monitors. I already have an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB that I run all my mics, instruments, etc. into. I feed the output of that into the UR22's 2 inputs and it works great. I intend at some point in the Spring getting a UR28m for the studio desktop. I also have everything installed on a Lenova laptop that I plan to incorporate into my live keyboard rig. My intention is to hook it up to the Keystation 88es I mentioned for my bottom board and use my Kronos 61 for my top board. I've got Cantabile installed but haven't had time to figure it all out yet. It should allow me to set up "combinations" of VST instruments and create splits, layers and so on (kind of like you can do with HALion Sonic. At that point I'll use the UR22 as a traveling interface. I have several guitar players I work with a lot and it makes more sense to send my laptop and UR22 with them to record their tracks using VST Connect rather than spending gas money to travel back and forth. So those are my plans this Spring. I'll post how the results turn out.

You asked about Omnisphere. I bought it about 4 years ago and not once have I ever regretted the purchase. Almost all my tracks have at least one occurence running. It has strings to die for, vocals you won't believe (from choirs to solo voices - it comes from the Symphony of Voices collection that Eric did before). The acoustic guitars are the best I've heard. Again from a library Eric developed that still stands the test of time. What it also has is one of the best synth engines I've ever worked with. It is very well suited for pads - it's sometimes called the ultimate pad machine - so it's great for ambient, downtempo, chill, etc. (right down my alley). That's what I do so it was a natural, though rather expensive, choice for me. Like I said, Komplete 9 is on my short list. It is probably a better choice if you want all your "meat & potato" bases covered. Good drums, basses, pianos, strings, brass, woodwinds, etc. I know a few people who have it that will probably never "need" anything else. Whatever they compose, Komplete will get them there. I would like to get Trilian at some point too as the bass samples are probably the best out there, but there are some good ones in Komplete as well (the Scarbee samples are wonderful - both the bass library and the vintage keys library). As you can probably tell, I'm a keyboard player/songwriter. So my needs and wants are going to be different. I'm an old fart that used to play Hammonds, Fender Rhodes, CP-70's, Clavinets, Minimoogs, Odysseys and so on back inthe 70s and 80's. My back still hurts - lol. But it is so cool to have all those instruments at my disposal anytime in software. Currently I'm on a quest for the "perfect" acoustic piano. I installed The Grand 3 SE which came with my Cubase 7 DVDs and have been enjoying that. I'm considering getting the full version but am also looking at VI Labs True Key Pianos as well. I bought EZ Drummer a few months ago and can't wait to add the expansion packs to it over time.

Okay, I'll shut up now and let somebody else talk. Hope I answered your questions. If you have anything more specific to ask, please feel free.
PC: Asus i7 - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - 2TB HDD - Win 7 Professional
Audio & MIDI: Steinberg UR22 - M-Audio Keystation 88es - Arturia MiniLab
DAW: Cubase 7
VSTs: Absolute VST Collection - Arturia V-Collection - Omnisphere
AAS Lounge Lizard 4 & Ultra Analog - Oddity - M-Tron - VB3 - OP-X
Brad Mize

Postby Strophoid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:01 pm

If you can present a proof of enrollment you are elligible for a student discount which is a whole lot cheaper than the regular price ;)
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby jb+ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 am

How much cheaper ?

Mmmmmm, maybe take a course just for the discount, eh ? ......that would be a bit of a scam---have to check
out the numbers....

.....and how do you prove enrolment to a German Company---letter from the university ?

jb+

Postby knuckle47 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 am

It's about 40%. I read the forum daily. Nice thread and surprised I missed it earlier
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby Strophoid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:40 pm

jb+ wrote:.
.....and how do you prove enrolment to a German Company---letter from the university ?

The university I go to actually sends out small cards for this very purpose every year to every enrolled student. I believe I sent steinberg a scan of one of these by email. That was a couple of years ago though so I don't remember exactly. Just try buying an EDU version from the steinberg store and see what happens :)
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby papi61 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:29 pm

jb+ wrote:.....and how do you prove enrolment to a German Company---letter from the university ?

A photocopy of your student ID card will do. My wife is a teacher and she buys software with academic discount all the time (no, I don't have her buy my music software with an academic discount, because then I wouldn't be able to write it off...) She usually uses a copy of her university badge and in most cases that's all she needs.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
papi61

Postby jb+ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:44 pm

We'll be buying C7 and all gear on my dad's creditcard for insurance purposes possibily, but mostly in case my
possesions are seized: They can't take his stuff. ( i have defaulted on a 2G bank loan )....so a student purchase
makes it all the more complicated.......it's 2 years since i took a course---and you have to take 2 to be an adult
student......besides, fraud makes me nervous, Steinberg can revok the liscence, eh ?

But I wanted to ask the Forum what happens when you first start recording songs you've been arranging in your head since highschool ? I always had precise parts for bass, drums and pads whenever i worked on a song, but
in my head off course......i would play guitar and sing---my friend said: You look like you're measuring it all out
in sync with a brain track.....it was true: Like any dreamer i was playing with a full ensemble even though it
was just me....i would speculate what horns come in as a turnaround part, what bass and drums would do and
where, if i needed backing vocal chicks ( major part of the fantsy ), but most of all pads.......pads, pads, pads...
synth pads---i like 'em quiet and smooth like a baby's bottom ( that's why i tend toward Omnisphere ).....So, soon i'll have to make a major life change from the multitrack in my head to the DAW in the computer---It's obvious that
this will be a difficult birth.......i won't get what i want until i'm somewhat pro......or worse, all provided sounds
will overwhelm me ( i don't call that inspiration ).....yeah, i'll get caught up in what's availible, albeit awesome, and
the DAW will have commandeered my delicate sense of my music.....lot's of this will be positive.....but i want to stay on track when i start---because i've dreamt up a sound already, eh ?

On the other hand it probably won't be much of a problem---What did you notice when you first went from
your ideas to recording with a DAW ?

j

jb+

Postby Scab Pickens » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:14 am

jb+ wrote:We'll be buying C7 and all gear on my dad's creditcard for insurance purposes possibily, but mostly in case my
possesions are seized: They can't take his stuff. ( i have defaulted on a 2G bank loan )....so a student purchase
makes it all the more complicated.......it's 2 years since i took a course---and you have to take 2 to be an adult
student......besides, fraud makes me nervous, Steinberg can revok the liscence, eh ?

But I wanted to ask the Forum what happens when you first start recording songs you've been arranging in your head since highschool ? I always had precise parts for bass, drums and pads whenever i worked on a song, but
in my head off course......i would play guitar and sing---my friend said: You look like you're measuring it all out
in sync with a brain track.....it was true: Like any dreamer i was playing with a full ensemble even though it
was just me....i would speculate what horns come in as a turnaround part, what bass and drums would do and
where, if i needed backing vocal chicks ( major part of the fantsy ), but most of all pads.......pads, pads, pads...
synth pads---i like 'em quiet and smooth like a baby's bottom ( that's why i tend toward Omnisphere ).....So, soon i'll have to make a major life change from the multitrack in my head to the DAW in the computer---It's obvious that
this will be a difficult birth.......i won't get what i want until i'm somewhat pro......or worse, all provided sounds
will overwhelm me ( i don't call that inspiration ).....yeah, i'll get caught up in what's availible, albeit awesome, and
the DAW will have commandeered my delicate sense of my music.....lot's of this will be positive.....but i want to stay on track when i start---because i've dreamt up a sound already, eh ?

I'd probably hold off on the room treatment if I were you.

jb+ wrote:On the other hand it probably won't be much of a problem---What did you notice when you first went from
your ideas to recording with a DAW ?

My "ideas" were meaningless. I was in an unfamiliar technological maze. It took a good year or so to get a grip on the basics.

Scab Pickens

Postby jb+ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:55 am

so, that's over...let us begin
Last edited by jb+ on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
jb+

Postby jb+ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 am

Yeah i know it: Work Ahead

jb+

Postby jb+ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:56 pm

My "ideas" were meaningless. I was in an unfamiliar technological maze. It took a good year or so to get a grip on the basics.

It seems the greats, Phil Spector for instance, or Floyd on the Dark Side of the Moon, are the guys who hold
on to a, yes, VISION.......a vision that is a sound---the technological maze is navigated until, and not until
the prefered sound is rendered......one should do a lot of imagination while writing the song, all the time
anticipating what gear will make it work---make it come true.......

.....otherwise we become Recording Engineers working for pay, eh ? ( not that there's anything wrong with that )

Have you seen the movie WHALE MUSIC ? It's about a retired old fat rock star who lives in a mansion with gear everywhere ( some beautiful reel to reels ) and of course he's crazy and writes song for whales---but he
gets it so so right.....

You guy have all gone through the technicological maze to make the amazing.....
My strategy will be to begin with guitar and voice ( i can do tons of Dylan songs as well as my songs ).....

This will give me experience in acoustics as well as just plain recording.....of course i'll edit to get the right
guitar, the right vocal, sounds.......I'll be using a $300 suspended mic for voice and an SM58 positioned
right at the the f-hole of the guitar, as well as a Dean Markely acoustic humbuking pick up---that's alot of sound .......there wil be sound bleed, but hopefully not too much to dis-permit a degree seperate treatment.....because i want more chunky guitar, and vocal treatment, than most singer/song stuff, eh ?

Yes, the next path is to track all these independent sounds and get them in to the DAW...just to hear it's seperate treatment of music, audio, my ears......

Last edited by jb+ on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb+

Postby Strophoid » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 am

Knitting is easier so I heard.
I prefer a challenge though 8-)

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby jb+ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:08 am

The challenge is challenging me already---and i don't have a clue how to knit.....
jb+

Postby jb+ » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 am

Who is first ?

I've selected a friend of mine to record after i do the above mentioned---He's gonna bang on a
tom and sing a vocal....he's good at it

On second thought, in the interest of learning, maybe i should record him first rather than myself
.....to not be troubled by my performance
.....to give that second perspective on the performance of another

jb+

Postby Strophoid » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:28 pm

2nd opinion is always good, and an experienced musician is much easier to record in my experience, they just sound better and know how to use a mic properly.
Make sure you do some testruns before he arrives, so you have the signal flow figured out and you're sure there's no problems with latency/dropouts etc.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg Lounge